Tabletop RPG Preferences Survey

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Meikle641
Duke

Tabletop RPG Preferences Survey

Post by Meikle641 »

Hello, everyone. Well, I have a few things in the works, even if I'm still in the lurch for a layout/typesetter and a new editor.

Anyway, been waiting a while, but I have some plans to expand our services some, and would like to gauge interest. Here's the link, so if you could complete the survey I'd be appreciated.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JX7CQP8
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Done.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Completed.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Done.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

What the fucking fuck is a 'professional' game master?
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

You might want to make an edit- the first question about payment doesn't specify if it's per person or per game table, while the second question does specify per person. I was confused for a bit trying to decide if the question was "how much should the GM be paid" or "what would I personally shell out as my part in getting a GM."
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Done
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Voss wrote:What the fucking fuck is a 'professional' game master?
Someone that game masters as a profession, as in for money. I've seen mentions of such things on messageboards occasionally for like 10 years, so I figured I'd do some surveys on it. Word of mouth has been really positive, I've found.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Meikle641 wrote:Someone that game masters as a profession, as in for money. I've seen mentions of such things on messageboards occasionally for like 10 years, so I figured I'd do some surveys on it. Word of mouth has been really positive, I've found.
I've been told I should GM professionally, but I've never been able to figure out how to get more than minimum wage for it.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

spongeknight wrote:You might want to make an edit- the first question about payment doesn't specify if it's per person or per game table, while the second question does specify per person. I was confused for a bit trying to decide if the question was "how much should the GM be paid" or "what would I personally shell out as my part in getting a GM."
Yeah, been getting some comment of confusion there, so I've tweaked it to:
"How much would you be willing to pay (for yourself only) to participate in a five hour session of a professional tabletop roleplaying game?"
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Done
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

I couldnt find a way to make it clear, but id give someone 20$ for my portion of a 6+ hour session. Over 4-5 players thats 80-100$ for a nights work. Not amazing, but certainly worth talking about to many people.

Id go to a shop or place assuming random people couldnt interrupt. Id also host out of the house.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

I had to adjust my price estimate when I realized that the payment wasn't only for the session (5 hours in the survey, IIRC) but for whatever else went into it. So, like, Krusk, you're offering $13-$17/hr, which is at least over minimum wage, but that's only if you ignore prep work and arrangements and so on.

Do any of the more experienced GMs here have rough estimates on the gaming counterpart of the classic college "3 hours of study per credit hour"?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

momothefiddler wrote:I had to adjust my price estimate when I realized that the payment wasn't only for the session (5 hours in the survey, IIRC) but for whatever else went into it. So, like, Krusk, you're offering $13-$17/hr, which is at least over minimum wage, but that's only if you ignore prep work and arrangements and so on.

Do any of the more experienced GMs here have rough estimates on the gaming counterpart of the classic college "3 hours of study per credit hour"?
Depends what I'm running, but it ranges from one to one, to 2 to one, depending on level of prep. You could do it with a lot less probably, but it probably also wouldn't be worth paying for.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

My GM prep is part of how I relax most of the time, so I don't even bother to keep it short.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Kaelik wrote:
momothefiddler wrote:I had to adjust my price estimate when I realized that the payment wasn't only for the session (5 hours in the survey, IIRC) but for whatever else went into it. So, like, Krusk, you're offering $13-$17/hr, which is at least over minimum wage, but that's only if you ignore prep work and arrangements and so on.

Depends what I'm running, but it ranges from one to one, to 2 to one, depending on level of prep. You could do it with a lot less probably, but it probably also wouldn't be worth paying for.
So that brings my initial $20 estimate down to $8.50/hr on the high end and, like, $4.33 on the low end - both lower than I'd want a pro GM to get paid. Hm.
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

Last edited by sendaz on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

momothefiddler wrote:Do any of the more experienced GMs here have rough estimates on the gaming counterpart of the classic college "3 hours of study per credit hour"?
I don't think there's a hard answer. Different games and indeed different groups require different amounts and different kinds of prep. I tend to do a lot of prep at the start of a campaign, and very little during. Also, a pro GM is probably going to rapidly acquire some campaigns that the prep is already complete for, and run them as standards.

On the other hand, I feel that going pro requires stepping up a notch. Like, I'd want to give players character sheets with some graphic design, which I definitely don't do for my regular group, maybe some other souvenir-quality feelies as well. Give 'em copies of the game soundtrack, stuff like that.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Meikle641 wrote:
Someone that game masters as a profession, as in for money. I've seen mentions of such things on messageboards occasionally for like 10 years, so I figured I'd do some surveys on it. Word of mouth has been really positive, I've found.
Professional requires some sort of qualifications or credentials. This sounds more akin to being a 'professional' friend or drinking buddy.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Voss wrote:
Meikle641 wrote:
Professional requires some sort of qualifications or credentials. This sounds more akin to being a 'professional' friend or drinking buddy.
Oh, please. There are plenty of professions with plenty of professionals that require minimal or no certification of any sort. You can bitch about whether someone should get paid for GMing and I won't argue with you - I don't have an opinion figured out on that yet - but all the word means is that you get paid to do it. "Professional drinking buddy" is merely an odd idea, not a nonsensical one.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Id assume a professional gm would probably have a stable of 5-6 adventures that they prepped for once and reuse the material between the game they run for me on fridays and the game they run for voss on saturday.

It sounds like the op wants to build a stable of gms who can go work him. If so, id assume, he would have a pile of adventures 90% prepped that the rent-a-gm can just grab from.

100$/5 hours +1 prep = 16.66/hr. I dont feel super bad about paying someone that rate.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Are there any professional players?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

GMing is seen by many players as a less than desirable role, and it involves a lot of work that playing doesn't. If no one in your group is feeling like running, and everyone wants to play, I can see hiring a GM if you can. I find it unlikely that a person would be in the reverse situation.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The audience for a professional GM is probably not people who already have access to a reliable, consistent, fair-minded, and flexible GM who runs the system of their preference and would like to upgrade to someone who is not only competent in all of those areas, but also spectacular in at least one of them. The audience for a professional GM is probably people who have difficulty finding a GM who will show up, won't go on mad powertrips, wants to run their favorite system and setting, knows how the system actually works, and/or can roll with the punches when players do something weird and unexpected and not explicitly covered in game rules. You aren't paying for a superior GM, you're paying for someone else to take care of the vetting process and also (potentially) to convince people to run things they might be perfectly capable of running well but not interested in running for free. I can think of both games I would be willing to pay to have run and games I would be willing to run for pay which are difficult to find decent GMs for under normal circumstances.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I completed the Survey.

Until this survey in fact, I've never even heard of the idea of hiring someone to GM a game for you. Though it makes sense honestly, getting paid means they can't be gygaxian @$$holes (unless its style offered) without the likelihood of losing out on future "clients". It also seems like it could be a solution to running fairly complex campaign, like a political game, or Sandbox experience.

Unless it ends up being like that comic with 5+ groups a week, I could see it being a component to having more good stories in the name of RPGdom being told.

As for me on DM prep, I'm the slowest as they come, and because I require at least 2-3 days where I spend least 6 hours each, I just run pre-made adventures instead nowadays.

Curious how someone like Dogbert would feel about this sort of thing, and the sessions it produces.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History