A Demon Haunted World

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

jt
Knight

Post by jt »

You could have a penalty like that. In the example I inverted it - the generic catch-all army is worse than the more specific options like Army Of The Dead. Presumably when they split up the true believers in Sally Paladin's militia let it qualify to be a Glorious Host with great morale and occasional divine asspulls.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

I was mostly being facetious and joking about that mechanic in the HoMM series.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Pariah Dog wrote:I was mostly being facetious and joking about that mechanic in the HoMM series.
Sure, but you are going to want something like that. It's a lot easier to figure out casualties in roughly homogenous armies, so means to encourage players to roughly homogenize their units is probably good.

You wouldn't want it to go all the way into "We need to leave the Necromancer's skeletons behind because they are fucking up our morale" territory. But you would want to get it to the point of "We want to segregate all the skelingtons to the left flank unit for various morale and buff applicability reasons."

-Username17
DenizenKane
Journeyman

Post by DenizenKane »

Any updates on this project?
---
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Mostly on the challenges end. Basically the needle I think wants to be threaded is that characters continue "gaining power" without actually invalidating sword swinging. Which is to say that the higher tier challenges are expected to be dealt with using armies and administration rather than by having the Wizard fly over and death bolt them.

The goal is to make the "warrior" character recognizable at higher levels. Not by dumbing things down until "Guy With Spear #3" is a meaningful contribution at high level, but such that "realm" and "command" abilities that knights can plausibly have are relevant.

We therefore reject both the 3rd edition Kraken that only assaultable by foes with strong magic (that only the wizard actually has) and the 5th edition Kraken that is basically just a calamari feast for 24 guys (where the random guys at the pub can take it out as long as there are enough crossbows and the pub was kinda full to begin with. And we do this in favor of the Aquaman model where when the kraken shows up it is a task for an army of Atlantean soldiers to deal with.

-Username17