A Demon Haunted World

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

A Demon Haunted World

Post by Username17 »

I'm working on a Kitchen Sink D&D setting and one of the main conceits is that a group of Fiend Lords conquered most of the planet and held onto it for hundreds of years. Thus, most every civilization is influenced culturally and genetically by having been under the thumb of various fiend factions. The Halfling Shires are post-scouring industrial places because they were occupied by the minions of Dispater and it is completely normal for some of the people in Halfling towns to be Wisplings - descended in some small fashion from the fiendish conquerors in addition to the native Halfling population.

One of the consequences of this is that the noble families who acquired and held onto significant power and wealth during and after the occupation are mostly half fiends. You know someone is a pureblood noble because he has horns and wings.

For various reasons, I want to make as many of these great houses and such be references to old D&D stuff. Mostly because I'm a giant D&D history nerd. So the great houses of the Humans are Alu, Cambion, and Manes; while the great houses of the Dwarves are Derro, Durzagon, and Maeluth.

A portrait of a human noble by the artist Diterlizzi

There also need to be names for Tieflings of various races and also names for the various members of the races who still follow Orcus and the other fiend lords. So Humans who are still members of the Fiend Pact are called Vashar, Halflings are called Jerren, and Dwarves are called Duergar.

Things I'm running into problems with:
  • Names for half-fiend Halflings and Gnomes.
  • Names for the Drow other than Draegloth and Yochlol.
It seems like the Drow should be super easy because there are an actual ass tonne of Drow Houses. But as far as I can tell, none of those houses ever actually stuck. Every book seems to just make up its own house names and then not bother to flesh any of them out. Looking through this list just makes me frustrated and sad.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I don't now how historical it is, but the 3.5 Monsters of Faerun book had the Fey'ri as elf specific tieflings and tanuruk as orc specific tieflings.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Half-fiend halfings? Kennobite.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak wrote:I don't now how historical it is, but the 3.5 Monsters of Faerun book had the Fey'ri as elf specific tieflings and tanuruk as orc specific tieflings.
Those are indeed some of the part-fiend specific groups I'm using. Also Avariel for the Elves and Orog for the Orcs.

The Orcs seem to be lacking a Vashar/Duergar version. Seemingly no one has ever bothered to write a DnD faction that was specifically evil Orcs. Despite that fact that we live in a post-Warcraft world and obviously need exactly that.

I like the term Kennobite, but I don't get the reference. Is that a portmanteau of Kender and Cennobite? In general I am trying to avoid Dragon Lance terminology because it's lame as fuck.

-Username17
erik
King

Post by erik »

Yep, I was thinking what was the most horrible version of halflings and then I tried to pair it with a pop-culture demonic faction in a portmanteau.

Now we have little demon people who want to share the bliss of pain with strangers and don't get why this is a bad thing. I was initially joking, but the imagery and flavor of punk leather outfits with a dash of body modification seems pretty strong.

Typical half-fiend halfling adventuring party.

[edit: and an aside, fuck google's change to their image search, making me jump through extra links just to grab an image. Time to experiment with other search engines I guess]
Last edited by erik on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... iew-image/

I believe there's a Chrome one too, if that's your jam.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

fiendish halflings and gnome names is kinda hard to pick because bad faeries already have stats in D&D.

Pygmaeus is the latin word for pygmy that apparently Paracelsus was thinking of when he came up with gnomes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus

So what are the lightskin good elves now?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Halfling: Desva?
Gnome: Svirfneblin?
Drow: Vulkoor, Myrlochar, or Araushnee?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I suppose Lamia/Lahmia is overused as a name nowdays?

Marilolth? Yeah, probably not.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think at least one of the Jerren houses should be Rhul-thaun, after that tribe of the Dark Sun cannibal halflings.

For the gnome houses, maybe something to do with the old-school gnomish god of evil? Urdlen or Urdling? Or get all Paracelsus and use evil earth elemental names for them? House Chaggrin for the MM2 reference?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OgreBattle wrote:So what are the lightskin good elves now?
Cattle?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Jermlaine maybe for the fiending halflings? If you're not already using them as a race as previously described. They don't seem to have much traction as they exist today, so making them half-fiendish halflings might be the way to go.
-This space intentionally left blank
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

For gnomes...there's already mention of the svirfneblin & jermlaine. There's the Uldra, who first appeared in 1987, though they're just arctic gnomes rather than any hints of evil. There's the spriggans, who def' have traction, and I recall them as unfriendly at best. There's also the sneaksy whisper gnomes.

You could name the half-fiend gnomes after some of the sinister/evil gnome gods, like Nebelun or Urdlen.

For the Drow, there's Lolth's old name, Araushnee. There's also their old tribe names in Forgotten Realms, from before they were banished, Ilythiir and Miyeritar. Ooh, or the scorrow, the scorpion analogue to the drider.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The 2nd edition Gremlins are a pretty good spot for fiend blooded Gnomes. If a Gnome Tiefling is a Jermlaine, fiendish houses could be Galtrit and Snyad. And the Svirfneblin slot in perfect as the Gnome traitor legions.

Rhul-Thaun is a real good name for a Halfling fiend house.
SeekritLurker
Apprentice

Post by SeekritLurker »

Races of Destiny has the Sharakim orcs - which are some sort of noble hunter shadow orcs. I don't think that really counts as anything that has DnD traction or tradition, though. House Sharakim sounds pretty good, at least.

(Purely as an aside, a bunch of orcs/half-orcs who worship Gruumsh as a localized rebellion/guerilla faction against the Fiend Lords is my jam, and I might use that myself someday.)

And I'd be tempted to use House Nycaloth for the Drow.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

FrankTrollman wrote:The Orcs seem to be lacking a Vashar/Duergar version. Seemingly no one has ever bothered to write a DnD faction that was specifically evil Orcs. Despite that fact that we live in a post-Warcraft world and obviously need exactly that.
Hm, well...
• The Faerun version of the Orog is not an orc-ogre hybrid, but the underdark version of the orc, and as might qualify as the 'evil underground' variant for orcs.
• There's also the Jor, a culture of swamp assassin orcs.
Tanarukk are bad-touched orcs.
• The Kenzer D&D comic had a particularly evil orcish subrace called Ogh.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

House Sharakim does sound pretty cool. Technically the Sharakim were Humans who had been sin tainted and didn't look like Orcs at all, but there's a rant in Races of Destiny that they dress funny in order to distinguish themselves from Orcs. I don't know why. But it is a pretty decent name and could be used for Orcs or Humans as needed.

The Jor are indeed something that time has completely forgotten, but yeah that's just about perfect.

Anyway, here's the chart at the moment:
  • Human

Great Houses:
    Alu
    Cambion
    Manes

Fiend Marked:
    Tiefling
    Vashar

Dwarf

Great Houses:
    Derro
    Durzagon
    Maeluth

Fiend Marked:
    Duergar
    Mul

Elf

Great Houses:
    Fey'ri
    Avariel
    Reggelid

Fiend Marked:
    Eladrin

Drow

Great Houses:
    Draegloth
    Yochlol

Fiend Marked:

Gnome

Great Houses:
    Galltrit
    Snyad

Fiend Marked:
    Svirfneblin
    Jermlaine

Halfling

Great Houses:
    Rhul-Thaun
    Meenlock

Fiend Marked:
    Jerren
    Wispling

Kobold

Great Houses:
    Urd

Fiend Marked:

Orc

Great Houses:
    Orog
    Ogrillon
    Tannaruk
    Sharakim

Fiend Marked:
    Jor
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

One could use the Hordlings for orcs.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=387338#387338
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

For Fiendish Drow, you might use: svartálfar. Since drow and duergar both derive from the same root, going back to the source for 'dark elf' makes sense to me.
-This space intentionally left blank
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In general, I wouldn't want to use a name that sounds generically descriptive. So no one would have a "House Hordling" just as no one would have a "House Chaos Gnome." If no one was confident enough in their idea for a D&D race to even give it a proper name, I don't think it's worth stealing - you might as well make your own.

So like the Goblinoids are vastly numerous in numbers.
  • Amitok
    Bakemono
    Bhuka
    Bugbear
    Hobgoblin
    Koalinth
    Norker
    Varag
    Vril
Those are all legit Goblin names. But there's lots of other Goblinoids like "Forest Kith Goblins" and "Air Goblins" that are just Madlibs races and I don't care. Although while I admit that the name "Snow Goblins" is not compelling, the race is actually interesting enough and it might be sufficient to use the Age of Wonders term "Frostling."

In any case, there are so many Goblin types that I think they are best handled as being just a series of disunited tribes that are having a growth of nationalistic sentiment. The template would be 19th century Germans or something, where right now the Bhuka and the Amitok are treated as different peoples, but there is a growing concept within both that they share a common thread of Goblinness.

Although it's possible to have a number of specifically Fiendish Goblin-offshoots such as the Thouls and the Dekanters. I don't think the Goblins had a manor system in place for there to be identifiable noble families who could have kept their lands by joining the Coalition.

-Username17
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Thri-Kreen

Great Houses:
Gelugon
P'kk

Fiend-Marked:
Phraint
Vodyanoi

https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Canon:P%27kk

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/P%27kk#Religion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umber_hulk#Vodyanoi
But could just as easily be half-Thri-Kreen half-Vodyanoi instead?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... alf-Breeds
suggests a Gnome/Umber-Hulk crossbreed, but I don't know how that would work.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I think it might be important to have slurs for non-fiend tainted versions of a race, either ethnic or classist in nature.

If half-fiends are on top, then they're going to look down on people who don't have fiendish ancestors and call them bad names. That's just normal.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Now that i think about it, hordling might work for a race/class slur. Another point. For orcs you could use Obyrith.

Likewise, if your using ogres, Oni or Kishin could easily work for both orcs and/or ogres.
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

DrPraetor wrote: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... alf-Breeds
suggests a Gnome/Umber-Hulk crossbreed, but I don't know how that would work.
I talk about that in my Bastards and Bloodlines review
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

You could probably get away with using the names of a few obscure patron deities as houses, particularly if you don't think you'd be using those deities otherwise or don't mind them simply being explicitly named after their gods. I was thinking it would work especially well with kobolds, since they would give you the options of Kurtulmak, Gaknulak, Kuraulyek and Dakarnok for great houses and still leave you with Urd for Fiend-Marked. Thanks to their status as a bullshit low CR minion race it's easy to imagine a scenario where they managed to keep their culture mostly in place by being such fervent li'l bootlickers that no arch fiends ever bothered to take their shabby shrines and tiny wicker effigies away.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies