Simultaneous action resolution in turn based games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Simultaneous action resolution in turn based games

Post by OgreBattle »

Pokemon does that well with other factors determining action order.

Mystery Dungeon games do that I think, but they're not vs games.

Saw this game Flamerge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghiZE3DBVQQ does that for a gridless tactics game

Atlas Reactor is a grid based game with simultaneous actions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SolJmeqxDVs

Yomi's been brought up in various discussions and does that as a card game and online game.

Out of all these games Pokemon's the best known one and doesn't have movement. Would you say that the idea of a WeGo simultaneous turns turn based game that involves movement is just too much to track or causes too much decision paralysis?

I've been wondering how a game like Advance Wars would feel with simultaneous turns
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

The Dominions series (latest entry - Dominions 5) does this as well. It's a turn-based strategy game where each turn orders are issued to commanders to lead troops in conquest, research magic schools, cast spells, etc; then after each players' orders for a turn are collected, all orders are executed, and armies run into each other and follow their scripted orders. To some extent, it does cause option paralysis - but the game is set up so that each player's turns can be done asynchronously and many games play with a turn happening every 24 hours or 48 hours or whatever, so if it takes a player a half hour or hour to take your turn its no big deal.

There have been a bunch of threads in this forum about Dominions. I strongly recommend the game if you're interested in exploring simultaneous mechanics. If you want to play multiplayer, get Dominions 5. It goes on sale on Steam fairly regularly so you can add it to a wishlist and wait for a discount.

You can find a bunch of videos of people playing on Youtube if you want to see more of the game before buying; I recommend General Confusion.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.