Tomb of Xagyg: Solo Dungeon & Dragons Adventure

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ancient History wrote:Gorman makes it through an entire verse and into the chorus before Urlik picks up him and his gear, tucks them under his arm, and exits the room, returning to Room 1
AH, you are the literally my favorite person.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ok, so back to finding a way to set the trap off before entering the room. Only now we are a goat.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Can we have an updated map? Maybe there's a way around. If not, let's see if we can lassoo the corpse over to us.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

You may certainly create an updated map.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

At the Doorway to Room 5
Urlik packs up most of Gorman's gear and carries it. Together, troll and goat follow the map.

"If I can make out this map," the roll squints by the light of the magic sword, "The body is in a pit trap right beyond this door. How do you propose we get it?"
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

So I guess our choices are 1) Try to trigger the pit trap and lower a rope with, like, an unlit torch tied through the end, to try to hook the corpses ribcage or backpack and tug it off the spikes, 2) Lower Urlik down to retrieve the body, probably by tying the rope to one or more door handles, 3) have Urlik lower us down, and we chomp the book and get hauled back up, or 4) Go down a level and try to find a way into the pit trap room.

The latter might be less risky if we can figure out which corridor to search for a secret door in, and if we don't have to go through any rooms down there, so I'm in favour of exploring the possibility of that. But only if someone else does the necessary map work.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I would advocate the fourth option, both because it is (possibly) safer than lowering a potentially heavy troll or ungulate down a death pit with rope and because it is Independence Day.
Half asleep upon my knee
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Not a fan of option 4, but if it'll move things along, I'll go with that.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay. How do y'all want to do that?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Okay, if someone else reposts or links the map that we had before, I will go back through the thread, and update it enough that we then can move downstairs with a method and a plan.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's on page 9.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Oh damn, that's more distance in feet than I remembered, maybe this actually isn't a better plan than just lowering Urlik down.

Well, let's see how far we can get before it starts to look too risky, we can always change our plans later. Let's go down the stairs at 9. Try to convey to Urlik that he should take our 10 foot pole and use it to probe for traps, after we go downstairs.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Room 9
With Urlik following along behind carrying the gear, Gorman retraces his steps to Room 9.

This room is rectangular, 10 feet wide by 20 feet long. It appears to be empty. There are two exits, one on the opposite wall (South) and one on the left (East).

Opening the eastern door reveals a set of stairs descending into darkness.

Down the Stairs
The stairs descend one level; about thirty feet eastwards. It ends as a solid door, marked with the ancient Dwarf numeral for "2." The door is shut, but there is no sign of a lock.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Nod at the door, nod at Urlik.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SlyJohnny wrote:Nod at the door, nod at Urlik.
This.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The troll sighs, laden down with gear, and pushes the door open with one warty green foot.

Room 16
A square, 30 feet on a side. The air is mustier down here, suggesting poorer circulation, but still breathable. There is a single exit, on the left hand wall (North).

More important, perhaps, is the large bear curled up into a ball in the middle of the room. It is bigger than any black bear you have ever seen, and it appears to be wearing...pants. It appears to be asleep.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Damn. Okay, let's backtrack upstairs, take the right hand passage just before the pit trap room, and see if we can find a second door near enough to tie the rope to. Then tie it around the door knob nearest the pit, and around Urlik, and lower him down to retrieve the corpse.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

And close the door behind us so the werebear (guessing) isn't just wandering around?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Back Outside Room 5
Urlik sets the equipment down. While he doesn't speak goat, Gorman's sherades are surprisingly successful at negotiating the basic idea. Rope in hand, the troll carefully ties the rope around the door knob, opens the door, enters the room, and the pit trap opens up beneath him. There is a wet squelch of troll-flesh skewered by the sharp spikes. A moment later, a voice comes bubbling back up:

"Found the corpse!"
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Guess it's time to either bleat to the tune of 'get out of the pit, Urlik', or tangle our horns in the rope and try to help pull him out :D.
Last edited by Whiysper on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Gorman bleats to the effect that that's not what he had in mind, but it all seems to have worked out to the best, and he's happy his friend is okay.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

With a bit of encouragement, Urlik manages to climb out of the pit-trap, carrying the corpse of Margo the Medium...who is noticeably missing her legs.

"I got hungry," the troll explains. He triumphantly lifts up the ex-magic-user's spellbook. "Waste of good latrine material, if you ask me. Well let's get the bastard his book, I guess."

He stares at Gorman. "Unless you've got a better idea?"
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

IT'S CHARADES NOT SHERADES THIS THREAD IS RUIN3D F0R3V3R!

... Anywhy.

Can we use the book to de-goat ourselves? Does Gorman, like Victor Hugo, even know how to read?
Half asleep upon my knee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Neither Gorman or Urlik are magic-users.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

See if the book has anything written in a language we do understand (spell names, say) and if we can find out exactly what we are handing over.