Wizards of the Coast publishes Rick & Morty Dnd Adventure

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Libertad
Duke

Wizards of the Coast publishes Rick & Morty Dnd Adventure

Post by Libertad »

A person that picked it up showcases some highlights on Twitter.

It has a full-page illustration of PICKLE RICK:

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Fucking shoot me.
Suzerain
1st Level

Post by Suzerain »

Who was it that said that the future of D&D was slapping licenses on whatever came within arm's reach? I swear someone did.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Steve Jackson?
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

We've already had one terrible Rick & Morty game. Sure, that one was unlicensed and infringing as possible, but do we really need another?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

if anything rick is a full caster that knows they’re a full caster, so normal dnd
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

OgreBattle wrote:if anything rick is a full caster that knows they’re a full caster, so normal dnd
From the two episodes I watched, I got the feeling Rick was a dirtbag Etherite from oMage.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Has Anyone picked up the adventure yet? I'm curious how it fairs, where it fails, and how it can be better. Also I heard saw a comic of Rick & Morty playing D&D, so that seemed neat.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I know my expectations are unrealistic, but I seriously hope nobody gives WotC more money for this. Maybe it'll be good. I dunno.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Aryxbez wrote:Has Anyone picked up the adventure yet? I'm curious how it fairs, where it fails, and how it can be better. Also I heard saw a comic of Rick & Morty playing D&D, so that seemed neat.
I'm guessing most people can't manage enough enthusiasm for this idea to shit on it. Let alone pay money so they know enough to do so properly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...fuck it, I'm bored, don't feel like gaming, writing on one of my projects, or anything else, and I found a pdf of this. I'll take a look.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Dungeons and Dragons vs Rick and Morty
Yep. That's the title. As if 5e and the show Rick and Morty are walking into a fucking cage match against each other.

In Character Annotations
So. I guess this is a thing 5e does in their supplements. I remember it in Xanthar's, and I think it might have been a thing in Mordenkainen's? Anyway, there are in-character annotations by Rick, because of course there are. With phonetic speech patterns. Because Rick's ...speech impediment? is totally a font of hilarity.

It's 1pm, and this is making me want to drink.

Oh cool! And one of those annotations is Rick talking about what a power trip being the GM is. Because that's totally not going to undo all the work 5e has done to create an equal and healthy relationship between players and GMs by feeding the absolute worst attitude in D&D directly to the kind of assholes who will buy this and need this kind of thought the fucking least.
Dungeons and Dragons vs Rick and Morty wrote:"UNEXPECTED" is the key word there, Morty. Your job as the DM is to mess with player expectations.

MESS THEM UP REAL GOOD.

Set 'em up and then tweak their nipples, Morty. You're not winning until someone cries. It's about the journey, not the destination.
ugh.

The Rick annotations go on to say that a player whose character is a loser, the GM is the winner of the game by default, and after that, it's down to whoever gets the most loot, experience and best rolls.

Look, yes, this is in character for Rick, and it's in keeping with Rick's "he is intelligent, and often factually correct, but he's also an asshole, who thinks human interaction is a contest" characterization. The problem is the same problem that exists in the show, in that a lot of fans of the show completely miss the fact that Rick is relateable, but not a role model, and running with that here, especially without Morty's emotionally intelligent push back from later episodes, is going to create the same problem that has happened in the show fandom, namely that while there's plot points of value in the show, they are lost on the most toxic people within the fandom, who push out the people who actually catch those plot points.

The one absolute good thing about 5e is that it has brought a lot of people to the hobby that were previously turned off by the toxic elements of the player base. This is variously attributable to 5e's progressive social attitudes, and the fact that it's extremely light rules facilitate more social play that's closer to forum RP with a bare framework than incredibly granular hack and slash.

So why they would throw all of this out the fucking window and into the road for a shitty license cash grab... well, it's not beyond me. Hasbro wants cash, and they know that they can turn out the D&D brand like a two cent gutter slut to get it. They obviously do not care about the game, the hobby, the players, or even their fucking reputation, so long as they can slap the D&D logo on something and get more money than they spent to do so.

This is the point where I realize there are two things in this pdf- a Rulebook and the adventure.

So, the Rulebook is what I've looked at above. It's literally just the basic 5e rules, with a couple of optional things, namely a Critical Failure chart and "Shut Up Damage." Both presented as purely optional things, that are encouraged by Rick's annotations to further the GM-vs-Player feel.

The Lost Dungeon of Rickedness: Big Rick Energy
What if Rick Sanchez wrote a module based on his interdimensional dicking around?

There's an out-of-character narrative intro, but it says the adventure itself is written in character, by Rick.

I will say that the one vaguely redeeming thing in this book is the art. It uses the show characters, and depicts Morty as a fighter or monk, occasionally a rogue, Rick as a wizard or maybe a cleric (there's a pauldron in one pic, but I see no holy symbol, and he's just standing there berating Morty, so...) and Summer as a barbarian, ranger, etc.

I take that back. The one redeeming feature of these books is Summer as a ranger or barbarian. That's pretty cool.

I'm on page 9 of the adventure looking for anything notable, but beyond Rick writing in character and all the box text being written in his voice, meaning that it's extremely obnoxious and adversarial, it's just a level 1 adventure. It plops a few stirges on the players in room one after the box text says they're bats (which is fine, tbh. In an actual game, savvy players can ask to roll to identify them, and newbies get a lesson that sometimes their characters are ignorant novices without any real risk of serious harm. It's cool).

Like... the selling point here is literally just slapping Rick and Morty on a pretty standard, maybe somewhat difficult for 1st level characters, adventure.

That pic of Pickle Ricks is actually a less-than-a-quarter-page illo for a room in the dungeon, and those Pickle Ricks are lycanthropickles. They're also 2 ft long.

After the pickle room is, and I'm serious here, The Butt Room. It's a room with a big stone butt and something shiny on the ceiling, and there's a trap that steals the triggering character's butt.

That's actually kinda funny, and I might steal it.

After that, is a room with six orcs stuffing things in sacks. The adventure sets this up as orc parents, like, "wrapping" gifts for their kids in the next room. In that next room is some kind of orc holiday dinner. There's another five orcs, and a couple of orc kids, and on the table is a bound and gagged goblin under a big dish cover. The players can talk their way out of this if they speak orc, but if they don't, the adult orcs know what adventurers are like and will attack to protect the kids. This is actually kinda cool, and again, I might steal this for a holiday adventure. If the adventurers save the goblin, he'll thank them and swear a blood oath and then follow them. He'll even put himself between the player that rescued him and any danger they encounter, trying to protect that character.

There's a room with a mage who has a giant spike wound they can try to heal, then a room with a tiny dungeon inside it with miniature scale adventurers going through it, and there are little monster figures the PCs can put in the dungeon, but otherwise.... it's just a dungeon in a dungeon the players can watch. If the mini-adventurers get destroyed, a chest in the mini-dungeon opens, and the PCs can loot a mini-scale wand of magic missile that works normally, but has a 50% chance of being lost whenever it's taken out or put away.

There's something you can do with this mini-dungeon that would be interesting, but I'd have to think about how to actually do that. As it is, it's a big nothing that presents no challenge or even much interest for the players, for a pretty small payoff. Being able to put a wand in a ring would actually be pretty cool, but that's not presented as an option, it's just what I'd do as a character who encountered this room.

There's a room with a bunch of buttless zombies standing around a ghoul tied to a chair, and the zombies think the ghoul ate their butts. This is the "payoff" to the butt room trap, and the players can go destroy the butt trap, which gives the zombies back their butts, who will then give the players the treasure for the room, a tiny wooden box that disintegrates into dust and then reforms into a ring of protection. Whatever.

It goes on like this. There's a genius bugbear with two butts who wants to destroy the butt trap. There's a beholder Rick (or whatever minor beholder has four eye stalks). There's a room with a bunch of doors. A room with three mimics (a chest, the pedestal its on, and part of the floor). I've done this in a dungeon, but better, where the room is normally furnished as a small studio room, and some stuff is mimics, other stuff is various other "ha ha, this thing is a monster!" monsters, and brown mold that looks like a bedroll. Another room has five nothics, named Beth, Jerry, Summer, Morty and Meatface.

Look, it's a fucking level one dungeon that assumes the characters will be third level by the end. It has the same mix of assholery, actually kinda funny, and "they think this is clever, don't they?" as the show. There's not really a lot of note here.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Prak wrote: Look, yes, this is in character for Rick, and it's in keeping with Rick's "he is intelligent, and often factually correct, but he's also an asshole, who thinks human interaction is a contest" characterization. The problem is the same problem that exists in the show, in that a lot of fans of the show completely miss the fact that Rick is relateable, but not a role model, and running with that here, especially without Morty's emotionally intelligent push back from later episodes, is going to create the same problem that has happened in the show fandom, namely that while there's plot points of value in the show, they are lost on the most toxic people within the fandom, who push out the people who actually catch those plot points.
From where I'm sitting at my desk in the office, right now I can see a guy's actual Pickle Rick... toy. Mini. Thing. It's like a Funko, but not as ugly. It radiates spiritual malaise.
Reading your synopsis makes me want to drink, too.
God, I fucking hate Rick and Morty.
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I liked Rick and Morty. I watched up to the Pickle Rick episode, and it was a good episode, with both some pretty awesome scenes involving Pickle Rick (namely, him creating his mini mech suit so he could do shit, and the action scene where he fucking kills a bunch of armed guards), and an extended scene calling him out on his bullshit.

But the fandom has a huge toxicity problem, where the most vocal members completely miss the latter scene, and focus solely on Rick's selfish bullshit and carry that attitude into the real world, thinking they're "misunderstood geniuses" because they relate to an alcoholic abusive asshole who shits on everyone around him.

Between the Pickle Rick fan phenomena, and the campaign of literal harassment by those same kinds of R&M fans instigated by a FUCKING CARTOON CHARACTER MENTIONING A FUCKING MCDONALDS SAUCE THAT EXISTED AS A TIE IN PRODUCT TO FUCKING MULAN that led to the abuse of who fucking knows how many minimum wage McDonalds workers, I just.... lost my fucking patience for the thing.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Yeah, sure, the problem with the show is the fandom...
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I won't say they're particularly deft. They have tried to craft a narrative that presents Rick, gets you on his side, and then explains why he's wrong.

They tried.

They took to long to get around to showing you why Rick is wrong, and sat on his side for far too much.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Why would I be on the side of the suicidal alcoholic who drives away everyone around him? That was obvious like, halfway through the first season. Anyone who looks up to Rick has fucking brain damage or they're emotionally crippled. Or they're on Reddit too much. (same thing, amirite?)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Look up to is the wrong term, and the fans who do look up to him are the problem, but you don't have to look up to him to relate to him.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

If you relate to Rick, you should probably go to therapy. Or embrace it, I guess.
K
King

Post by K »

Rick routinely makes the cut for characters in the "You're missing the point by idolizing them" meme.
Last edited by K on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yes, relating to Rick is a sign that there is something wrong. Just like relating to Bojack Horseman. Because the entire point of both shows is that the protagonist is horrible, broken and selfish. The difference, however, is that Bojack Horseman conveys quite well that Bojack's behavior is bad, where as Rick and Morty has a hard time committing to that.

I think the intent of the R&M writers is to help the people who relate to Rick realize something is wrong and they need to work on that. I also think that if that is in fact the intent, they are failing at it.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I think the intent of the R&M writers is to get paid, son.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What popular media has good fandom's then?
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I'm a fan of Rick & Morty, though I don't "relate to" characters in media, moreso I'm interested in finding them entertaining/funny/interesting. Which point Rick & Morty has been interesting, much like Season 3+ Bojack, Golden-Ages Simpsons, 90's Family Guy, Durarara!, and so forth.
Prak wrote:The one absolute good thing about 5e is that it has brought a lot of people to the hobby that were previously turned off by the toxic elements of the player base. This is variously attributable to 5e's progressive social attitudes, and the fact that it's extremely light rules facilitate more social play that's closer to forum RP with a bare framework than incredibly granular hack and slash.
I do question the veracity of this statement, as it's marketed that a lot more people have started playing, but we don't know how many, and the Actual number still seems implied to be low, despite what WoTC? would want us to think. Unless of course I missed some vital data-points on this topic in the last several years, which case a refresher would be appreciated.

Could you indicate what these "toxic elements" were, and/or what people were saying it was? Additionally, isn't 5e rules-lite, but not "lite" enough you can play it casually/drunk, but lacks depth to really want to dive into it, plus it breaks too easily?
OgreBattle wrote:What popular media has good fandom's then?
DragonQuest?, Kirby?, else I guess ones that haven't committed crimes in the name of a product or something.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

OgreBattle wrote:What popular media has good fandom's then?
What's the opposite of Anime?

I'd say the problem with the question is, if you've heard of the fandom, it's a bad sign.