[Let's Play] Storytrails #15 Shadow Over the Marsh

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Storytrails #15 Shadow Over the Marsh

Post by SGamerz »

So, before I ran the last Storytrails LP several months back, I did a poll to determine which book to run. There were 3 books with tied votes, and I've run one of those 3. I wanted a break between running 2 of those books in a row, so there was a diversion when I stopped to run Take 2 of FF46. Now it's time get to the next book that received a vote in the ST series:

Cover:
Back cover blurb:
Everyone knows about the smuggling. It was a way of life on the Romney Marsh in those days. But greed brought violence...and revenge. Someone informs the Revenue men, and they bring the dragoons.

You are in the middle of this, because you have seen the body...and the secret crypt under the church. And your childhood nightmare begins to make sense. But can you act quickly enough to prevent more bloodshed?
As mentioned in the LP of past books for this series, the "rule" pages are mostly standard every book because these are simple CYOA format with no complex rules. However, those pages usually contain a paragraph or 2 that gives some background to the story, especially regarding any relevant geographical or historical information.

For this book, this is the additional background info:
In the south east corner of England, across the English Channel from France, Belgium and Holland, lies Romney Marsh. The marsh has long been famous for its sheep and the whiteness of its wool. Once, there was another trade on the marsh - smuggling.

The laws against smuggling were harsh and Revenue men were sent to the marshes to enforce them; but they got little help from the local population.

The purchase of smuggled silk, tea, tobacco and spirits was seen as a fair means of avoiding the huge taxes placed on such goods by the government of the day. There were few living on the marsh who did not support the smuggling trade. Many became wealthy from it.

But always there are some men who become too greedy; men who will not stop at violence' and even murder, to gain more money and more power.

It is the year 1740. Raised from childhood in the Romney Marsh, you are about to meet one such man. All fear him. A secret from your past gives you more reason to fear him than most, but you do not yet know that secret, though your very life could hang upon it.

The answers lie close by but, if you would find them and dare the darker shadows of the marsh, then read on following the simple instructions printed below.
EDIT: Forgot that there's also a Map of Romney Marsh provided:
Skipping the standard rules, we proceed to section 1:
It was many months since I had dreamt the dream. With the passing of the years it seemed to come to me less often in the night. Yet still it was the same; real and frightening, as if I were reliving something from the distant past - something of which I had no waking memory.

In my dream, I lie, crouched in a ditch, trembling, my body chilled by the cold of fear and by the icy water which soaks my clothing. The moon is up and, through the grass on the ditch's edge, I see a group of men and a single black horse. A man is seated on the horse. His arms are bound behind him and ropes passing beneath the horse tie him to the saddle. His shirt is torn and there is blood on his face and body. The men are beating him with sticks.

One of the sticks misses its mark and strikes the horse. The animal rears and gallops off, the men following.

The landscape is criss-crossed with ditches like the marshland where I now live. I too follow, keeping from sight by stumbling along the ditches.

I see the man on the horse slip sideways in the saddle so that he now hangs beneath the animal, held by the ropes which bind his legs. The horse stops and the men catch up with it. I am still a little way behind, but I see the man cut down from the horse and dragged towards a well which stands nearby. He is still alive, for I see him struggle as he is pushed into the well. I hear a light sound, like the tinkle of metal on stone - and then the man is gone.

The men have turned away when a muffled sound - a terrible sound between a cry and a groan - rises from the well. The men turn back. One picks up a stone from the edge and hurls it down. The others do the same. At last, they stop. But for the distant cry of a night bird, all is silent.

When I am certain that the men have gone, I run to the well and call down, again and again, into the darkness. Only my own voice echoes back. My eyes fill with tears. As I move away I catch the glint of moonlight on something lying in the grass. I bend down to pick it up...

It was always at this point that I woke, shivering on a tear-soaked pillow.

Turn to page 2.
It was morning. A pale sun shone through the tiny window, casting a square of light on the wall by my bed. The wind and rain which had swept across the marshes for a week past were gone. I could hear my aunt Betsy stirring the fire in the room below me.

I got out of bed, washed the tears from my face and dressed. I would say nothing of the dream. I had spoken of it many times before. "Tes listenin' to too many of they wild stories," was all that my aunt would say, sometimes adding, "There's many dangers in this world, but dreams cannot harm thee."

Perhaps she was right. The Romney Marsh was full of strange tales of smugglers, ghosts and witches, and I had lived there with my uncle Joseph and aunt Betsy for as long as I could remember. My mother had died bringing me into the world and my father had been drowned at sea when I was still too young to have known him. I turned my mind to happier things as I climbed down the steep, narrow stair. There was to be a frolic in the squire's barn that night. I was to spend the day there, helping to clean and tidy the place ready for the night's eating and dancing.

I noticed that my uncle was not at breakfast. I knew better than to ask where he was gone. I had heard him ride off late the night before. He would return by early evening carrying a sack - his 'dollop' of tea - and with a half-guinea piece in his pocket. My uncle should have been finishing his breakfast and setting off for his work on the squire's lands. He would. not be there this day. Several of the farm labourers might be missing, but nothing would be said. The squire would receive payment in French brandy and Virginia tobacco.

It meant that another cargo of smuggled goods had been landed on the beaches in the night. If there were Revenue men about, it would be hidden somewhere close at hand till it was safer to move it. The fact that my uncle had not returned was a sign that the cargo had been taken straight to its final destination, somewhere close to London town. Tired men and horses would, by now, have begun to make their way in twos and threes back towards the marshes.
I hurried my breakfast. It was not because I was impatient to begin work on the barn, but because I wanted to go by way of the church. The church of St Thomas à Becket stood a little way outside the village of Dymdyke and was built on a hillock. From its square tower you could see over the great earth wall which kept the sea from flooding the marshes and watch the ships that sailed the English Channel.

After heavy rain, the land about the church was often flooded. It was said that, sometimes, the church became an island, completely surrounded by water. My aunt and uncle told of a time when the whole congregation had been rowed back and forth in boats so that they might attend the service on the Sabbath. I had never seen the strange sight but, yesterday, there had remained only the narrowest strip of land where it was possible to cross. Though the rain had stopped, I hoped that I might yet see the church surrounded by water.

It was not only the land around the church which was flooded. As I made my way across the fields, ditches were near full to overflowing. Lakes of water lay on the grass and the marsh sheep stood, huddled together, on patches of higher ground.

My clothes, which had been clean when I left the cottage, were becoming wetter and more mud-splattered with every step. My aunt would not be pleased, but the thought vanished in my excitement as I approached the church. The church and churchyard of St Thomas was an island, though to be quite certain I must walk all the way round it.

It was at a point opposite to where I had started that I saw the boat. Two oars lay in the bottom and a rope hung loose from the bow. It was floating only two or three feet from the edge and moving gently on the ripples stirred by the morning breeze.

If the parson had used it to row to the church and had not tied it securely, it could have floated away. He could now be stranded on the island!

I did not like the parson; nor he me, for I could not learn my scriptures. I could go on to the barn and let him seek other help. I had never rowed a boat but I could try and he might like me better if I 'rescued' him.
Do we think the parson needs our help - and do we want to offer him that help if he does?
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Help the parson.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I was already so wet about my feet and legs that I would hardly get wetter wading out to reach the boat. Though I had never rowed a boat before, I had been often enough to the beaches and watched the fishermen. I thought that I knew how it was done. At my first attempt, I either missed the water with the oars, or struck them on the bottom, but, slowly, I got the boat away from the edge. Using both oars together, I seemed only able to turn the boat in circles. I was by using them one at a time that I finally reached the island.

I tied the rope around a large stone to make sure that the boat did not float off for a second time. The water was almost up to the wall of the churchyard and, as I entered through the gate, I saw that the door of the church was open - a sure sign, I thought, that I would find the parson inside.

The church was empty. I looked everywhere even in the tower, but it was certain that there was no one there. There was nothing I could do but take the boat back to where I had found it.

On my way back to the door I passed the pew used by the squire and his family. It had a locked door and high wooden sides. I had been told that it had fine furniture in it - not like the hard benches on which we sat. I was curious to see and there was a place from which I might do so!

The pulpit was built in three tiers. On the Sabbath, the parson's clerk sat at the bottom while the parson took the service from the middle, using the top only when giving his sermon. My uncle said that this was so that he could see down in to the squire's pew and make sure that the squire didn't sleep through the preaching.

I climbed the steps which curved around one side of the pulpit and had reached the top when there was a strange sound. I looked down into the church. Set against one wall were the tombs of Sir Edward Thursby and his lady, each with a white, marble figure upon it. The figure of Sir Edward was moving!

It was not the figure! It was the whole tomb which was sliding slowly outward from the wall! Should I hide where I was, or attempt to make my escape from the church by the way I had come?
Try to hide or run?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Run away!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Personally I'd hide, but I'll change vote to run to break ties if need be.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I made more noise stumbling down the curved wooden steps of the pulpit than I would have wished. I hoped that the sound would be hidden by the heady grinding of the tomb as it continued to move from the wall. I reached the church door and was out without stopping to look back.

I ran down the churchyard, through the gate and hastened to untie the boat from where I had left it. Whether it was practice or fear, my rowing skill seemed to have improved greatly and I crossed the water again in much less time that it had taken me to arrive.

Wishing to leave no trace of my presence, I left the boat floating, just as I had found it, and splashed through the last few feet of water to the dry land. Then, I ran.

I did not stop until I thought it safe to turn and look back towards the church, without myself being seen. I could see the boat, but nothing else unusual. Whoever had caused the tomb to move must still be inside the church and my escape had gone unnoticed.

I set off again towards the village, this time at a walking pace. I felt once more safe, and my heart had stopped pounding against my chest, when a hand was placed upon my shoulder. I thought that I was discovered after all!

"Thou shouldst have come by the road. Thine aunt will not be pleased to see the state of thy clothes."

The voice was that of Parson Bailes.

"I wanted to see if the church was surrounded by water."

"Then by the look of thee, thou wilt know that it is. I could not cross to it myself earlier this morning. Two men from the village are carrying a small boat there for me and I hope to find it by the water's edge when I return. Thou mightst have seen it if thou hast just come from there."

I said that there was a boat floating near to the edge.

"Then I must be going," the parson went on, "and must not keep thee from thy work in the barn, for there is much yet to do for the night's frolic."

We parted, leaving me with the knowledge that it was not the parson who had been in the church.
There were many, both young and old, who had reached the barn before me and work was well under way. The harvest had only begun and there were not yet very many sacks of corn. They were already stacked at one end, but the task was to stack them higher, leaving more room on the floor for dancing.

Most of the tasks were already taken. Some men were stacking the heavy sacks. Some of the older village children, armed with stout sticks, were killing the rats which ran out when the sacks were moved. I wanted to join them but, instead, was given a large besom and told to sweep the loose straw and grain from the floor.

I was glad when some new work arrived and I was one of the first to offer my help. Some of the women from the village had woven ivy and other leaves into long garlands which were to be strung across the beams. I found a ladder and twine and began climbing as quickly as possible before anyone noticed that I had abandoned my sweeping.

Perched on top of the ladder, I was close to one of the small windows which were to let out the stale air and keep the corn cool and sweet. Some men must have been outside the barn just below the window for, though I could not see them, I could hear a voice clearly.

"Tes surely thou art the world's biggest fool. Geneva will have thine ears for this; or maybe worse!"

Another voice replied.

"How could I be knowin' that they was havin' a frolic in the place this very night?"

"Had thee done what Geneva told 'e, it would have been of no matter. Put he in the church, was what Geneva said."

"I've telled thee why," the second man answered. "He did put up such a squealin' and a shoutin' before I could stop his breath, there might have been others who had heard he. 'Tes sure he is not found and might not be."

I was surely a strange conversation. I could see no one watching me at that moment. Should I get on with my work, or should I take the chance to slip outside to catch sight of who was talking?
Do we want to risk snooping further this time?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take chances.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I climbed down from the ladder and slipped out of the barn. Once outside, I stopped, thinking how I might best catch sight of the men, without myself being seen.

If the men had not moved from where I overheard them, then they were at the end of the barn farthest from where I stood. I tried to picture what lay around the outside of the barn which would hide me near to where I thought they stood. I could recall nothing. I decided to be bold! There was no reason why I should not walk past them as if I was about my own business.

What I had not expected was to meet them quite as soon as I did. I had just turned the corner of the barn when I saw them standing right in front of me.

They were roughly dressed, and both strangers to me. One had his forearm bound with a pieces of cloth and blood had begun to soak through it. There was also blood on his shirt and his face had scratches on it. It was the man with blood on him who spoke.

"Thee does look started!" he said. "Any why would thee be startled?"

I did not reply at once. I was still staring at the blood. The man looked down at his shirt and his forearm.

"Ah!" he said, "Tes the blood does upset thee. The squire did send us to help in the barn and I did have a nasty fall; but 'tes nothing more than a few cuts an' bruises."

I didn't like the look of either of man. If the man with the blood spoke the truth, then they might be going back into the barn and I did not want to go with them. I said that I must go - that my aunt was expecting me at home.

"We will not keep thee," said the other man, "but we bein' strangers to this village and thinkin' as we might come to the frolic, mayhap thee can tell us at what hour it do end."

I wondered why he should want to know, but told him about midnight. I had said that I was returning home and, since the men stood and watched me as I moved off - and might themselves be returning to the barn, I could do no other than go back to the cottage.
As I neared the cottage, I was surprised to see my uncle's horse in the field nearby. I had not expected him back so soon, for it was still more than two hours to noon.

I had planned to tell my aunt Betsy that most of the work at the barn was done, and to say that I had fallen on the way back - to account for the state of my clothes. I found her cleaning in the cottage, though my uncle was not in sight. I did not get the sharp scolding I expected; I was told to wash and change my clothes - and that clean they would have to stay if I expected to go to the night's frolic.

When I returned from my room, my aunt was sitting in the chair; a most unusual sight for the middle of the day. She beckoned me towards her. I thought that she might have been crying.

"Thee knows what thine uncle does when he rides off in the night?"

I nodded.

"Tes a thing I have never liked, but the money means that we do never want for food nor clothing. Thine uncle Joseph says that if the parson takes his baccy and brandy from the smugglers, then it can no great sin; but last night were what I always did fear."

She paused to wipe away a tear which trickled down her face.

"They was not a mile from the coast when they was set upon by Revenue men. Guns was fired, though thine uncle do say that no smuggler carried more than a stout stick. A Revenue man was killed and two of the smugglers. Several more were arrested. It could mean hangin' or transportation to the colonies. Thine uncle escaped. He says that they must have been informed on. he's up the stairs now, lyin' on his bed and I'd guess he be thinkin' who might have done the telling on them."

"Then we will not be going to the frolic," I said.

"Thine uncle says that we will. The Revenue men might come here askin' questions. We must be seen to do whatever be usual. Thine uncle was not at his work today because he had a touch of the ague."
And if the Revenue men do come, they'd probably find that the ague had spread to more than half the men in this village....
I saw my uncle later in the day, though he made no mention of what my aunt had told me. I was only in the evening, as we left for the frolic, that he said to me, "Remember, if anyone asks thee why I was not at my work this day, it is because I have been abed with the ague and, by rights, should not be venturing out this night, but for the disappointment to thyself and thine aunt Betsy."

On the road to the barn, we met up with several of our neighbours; Tom Apps, the carpenter, with his wife and two daughters, Will Grindle, the blacksmith, and his son - and a number of others. All thoughts of the day's events were gone when we reached the barn.

The barn was ablaze with candles and hung from end to end with garlands. Long trestle tables groaned under the weight of food - boiled beef, roast rabbit, mutton, pig's face, stuffed pike, to say nothing of the plum puddings and fresh fruit.

After the meal, the tables and benches had to be moved back against the walls to make room for the dancing. Tom Apps and Will Grindle were among those who had already drunk too much ale. Before anyone had a thought to stop them, they had picked up one of the heavy boards that had formed the table tops. Hardly able to stand, they quickly lost control of their load and began to stagger across the barn.

They stopped when they reached the sacks piled, roof high, at the end of the barn, bursting two nearest the bottom. A whole part of the pile began to swing outwards, sacks tumbling to the floor, some splitting and setting a great cloud of dust into the air. As the dust settled, there was a sudden silence. It was broken by a women's scream. It was joined by others and then the telling of frightened children.

Hanging down from among the remaining sacks was a head. Bulging, sightless eyes, stared from an ashen face and a lolling, swollen tongue hung from the corner of gaping jaws. The appearance of the face and the rope which could still be seen about the neck left no doubt about how the man had met death.

I remembered the conversation of the two men earlier that day. Should I tell what I knew, or remain silent, perhaps for my own safety!
Should we report what we know?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Stay quiet.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'm up for being quiet.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I've heard stories of people who helped the law being found dead, or disappearing mysteriously before they could appear in court to give their evidence. I did not want to be one of them!

Master Thorne, who managed the squire's lands, stepped forward and threw a cloth over the head of the dead man and then, climbing up onto some of the sacks, he called for good order. the squire was playing 'Wisk' with friends at the manor house. A message had already been sent asking if he could leave the card game and come to the barn with all speed. The squire, being also the local magistrate, might want to question some present and especially those who had been helping in the barn during the day.

The squire was not long in arriving. Seeing that some of the younger children were still in a state of much terror, he ordered some of the men to take the body from the sacks, cover it decently and take it outside, leaving it there until it could be moved to some other place.

Even with the body gone from the barn, there were still some younger children who could not be quietened. The squire decided that the women and young people should leave straightway. Only the men need remain.

I had been near to the barn doors when the body had been carried out and I had seen where it was laid. As I left the barn with my aunt Betsy, I saw that the body was no longer there. I thought that I could guess who had taken it and where - to the church!

Aunt Betsy was soon in conversation with some of the other women. I was still light and my aunt said that I might join my friends if I wished. I had farthest to go, but they would walk with me for most of the way.

I was still curious about the body. I did not want to go back and tell the squire, for the same reason that I had said nothing about the conversation I had overheard.

Should I leave it to the squire and the others to search when they found that the body was missing, or did I dare return, secretly to the church?
Kind of strange that none of the other people appeared to have noticed that a dead body was missing....

Do we want to try and track down the dead body?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Try tracking down the body that no one else has noticed is missing.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There were, perhaps, a dozen of us in the group which left the barn together. It thinned down quickly as we passed through the village as, in ones and twos, people reached their homes. There were but five of us left as we neared the end of the village. The Selby twins left us at the inn and, a few steps beyond, Ellen and Margaret turned off the road onto the track which led to their father's mill. I was alone.

Our cottage was still quarter of a mil on. I kept on walking until I was certain I could not be seen before I, too, left the road and made my way back over the fields to the church.

The evening light was fast fading now, but enough remained to see that much of the water which had covered the marsh fields had drained away and that the sheep had come down from their refuge on the higher ground.

As I approached the church, the pale reflection of the evening sky picked out the water which had surrounded it, but now there lay across it a dark line - the same narrow strip of land which I had seen the day before. There was no need for a boat. I could walk across.

If the body had indeed been brought to the church, then the men who had brought it would have lost no time in getting there. I thought there was more danger of my meeting them coming out than of their being somewhere behind me.

The churchyard was full of dark shadows and I crossed it quickly to reach the porch. I pushed open the door and looked inside. The shape of the windows could still be picked out against their blacker surroundings, but the rest was darkness. As I stood, looking and listening, I slowly became aware of a faint glow of light at the far end of the church. Feeling my way, I moved towards it between the rows of wooden benches. The light came from behind the tomb of Sir Edward Thursby. The white marble figure laid upon it looked black, silhouetted against the light on the stone wall behind it.

As I moved around the tomb, I was looking down a long flight of worn stone steps. At the bottom, the steps turned a corner. The light was somewhere beyond the corner, as was a low murmuring of voices. Was now the time to leave for home, or to find what lay beyond the corner?
Looks like the PC isn't friends with his closest neighbours, since the neither the carpenter's nor the blacksmith's kids were with the group that was walking back home with him...

Do we want to risk getting caught by the potential murderers hiding in the tombs?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

See what's going on.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the risk.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I crept down the steps to where I could just peer round the corner. I was looking into an old crypt! The light from flickering candles fell upon stone tablets which lined the walls and marked the last resting places of the dead. Some of the tablets had fallen away showing crumbling bones and coffins that lay within the walls.

I could see two men whose voices I had already recognized from that morning. One was easing out one of the tablets from the wall. The other stood beside something laid on the floor, wrapped in sacking - the body from the barn! With the tablet removed, together, they lifted the body and with difficulty slid it into the space behind.

The man who had removed the tablet had just finished replacing it when the candles began to flicker as if caught in a sudden draught, though I could feel none on the steps. Fearing that I was to be left in darkness, I started back up the stairs.

I was no more than half way when an arm about my waist lifted me up from the ground and I was carried, struggling into the crypt. I was placed back on my feet, but with the point of a knife pressed under my chin so that I dared neither move nor speak.

"The draught made thee think the Devil were a-comin'. T'were not the Devil - only a sign that Geneva be on his way. What I asks myself be, 'Does I do it now, or would Geneva be wantin' to see the slittin' of such a pretty throat such as thine?'"

I closed my eyes. There was a roaring in my head and a strange coldness about my feet. I wondered if I might already be dead, when loud cries and curses made me open my eyes again.

The man with the knife, and his companion stood in front of me. Behind them, a great crack had opened in the wall of the crypt and a torrent of black mud and water was pouring upon their heads. The water which had surrounded the church had broken through into the crypt.

More of the wall gave way, the stones falling upon the two men and throwing them beneath the black water which now covered the crypt door. They did not reappear. I staggered through the fast rising water, back towards the steps.
By the time I could raise the alarm, it was dark. My uncle, the squire and several men from the village returned with me to the church carrying lanterns. The water now reached half way up the flight of stairs and seemed to have stopped rising. There was nothing to be seen on or beneath the black, still surface.

My uncle and the men from the village had heard stories of an old crypt beneath the church and of a tunnel which led to a secret entrance in the pit a quarter of a mile distant where slaughtered cattle were salted down for the winter's meat.

It was decided that some of the men should go to the pit, though I was to be taken home to get out of my wet clothing. I later heard that on reaching the pit, the men had found a riderless horse, saddled and bridled and tethered to a tree nearby. In the pit, they had found a part of the wall open, like a door, and beyond it a tunnel. They had entered the tunnel only to find that it too was flooded. It was supposed that the owner of the horse had entered the tunnel and been drowned like the others. Papers found in the saddle bag of the horse showed that it had belonged to a man called Geneva Moon.

Who was Geneva Moon> No one seemed willing to talk about him, though I could sense that he was well known to many. I did learn that he had once run the whole of the smuggling trade in this part of the marshes. He had been greatly feared, was said to have done murder more than once and be prepared to kill anyone who threatened him.

One man did inform upon him, at the same time seeking the protection of the justices in London where Moon could not reach him. Moon was forced to flee the country and it was thought he would not be seen again. The name of the informer was Josiah Banks, the man whose body had been found in the barn.

Had Moon returned only to seek revenge, or had he some other plans? Had he, in fact, been drowned with the others, or had he escaped, his mission accomplished? I would never know the answers but, as the years passed, I realized a strange thing. Perhaps it had no connection with all that had happened but, from that time onward, I never again had my dream which had so often come to me in the night.
Well, we found the body, but unfortunately we also found one of the premature "bad" endings. Although technically nothing really bad happened to our character, we even stopped having the nightmare, but the "good" ending requires the reader/PC to find out the reason he was having that nightmare and the event connected to it.

So, rewinding to the other option.....
I was soon nearing home, and it was almost dark. The marshes were often bleak and desolate, but I had never found them frightening. Tonight, it seemed different. I found myself starting at the least sound and constantly glancing back over my shoulder.

I had been looking, again, at the empty road behind me, when a clatter of hoofs made me turn back my head, smartly. A horse and rider were standing in the road, not ten paces in front of me. I was as if they had appeared form the thin air, for there was little to have covered their approach in any direction.

"And what wouldst thou be doing alone on the road this late at night?"

The question was polite, but the voice hard. In the half-light, I saw that the rider was wearing the clothes of a gentleman, though the face was rough, with thin lips and a cruel set to the mouth.

"I be going home," I replied, "I live nearby."

"And what is thy name?"

"Gallon," I told him, for I was known by the name of my aunt and uncle.

"I did know a Joseph Gallon," the rider observed, "but not that he had a child. Come closer so that I may see thee better."

I walked towards him but, before I could tell him that Joseph Gallon was my uncle, he had bent down and seized me by the silver chain which I wore around my neck. He was looking at the small medal which hung upon it.

"What is this?"

Frightened now, I stammered my reply.

"'Test a charm," I said, "against the marsh ague. It says, 'Three days shiver, Three days shake, Make me well for Jesu's sake'."

The rider did not let go. He just looked at me, silently, as if something stirred in his mind.

I felt a panic slowly rising in me and pulled myself away. The chain about my neck snapped and, freed from the grasp of the horseman, I fled.

Within seconds, I had dropped from sight into a ditch. I heard the horse pass close by me. Only when I was certain that the rider was surely gone did I run for home.
Due to the bad ending we just saw, some of the mystery here is gone, as we can certainly make a good guess as to who this guy is and why he should be feared. And our guess can be confirmed pretty soon:
I could neither name nor reason to my fear of the horseman. Perhaps he did know my uncle. Perhaps he would return the silver chain and charm.

I could not, therefore, lie about how I had come to lose it. It was better if I told the whole story to my aunt and uncle and take the consequences for what they might see as my foolishness.

"And thee say that Geneva Moon now has thy silver charm?" my uncle asked me. His voice showed no anger.

I said that was so, though the man had not told me his name.

"'Tes' Moon," my uncle replied. "He is just as thee desvribed him - and there's the murder of Josiah Banks whose body were found in the barn. There's none but Moon would have want to see him dead. 'Tes my fault. I should never have given thee that charm - but I did never be a-thinkin' to see Moon again."

I did not understand what my uncle was saying. I looked to my aunt for some explanation. She only shook her head.

"There be some things as 'tes better to not be a-knowin'," was all she said, and then turned to my uncle. "Moon be not afraid of thee, Joseph, for he knows that thee could hang with him, but what if he were to guess about the child? There is my brother Samuel on the Walland Marsh beyond New Romney. Thee must take the child there this night."

My uncle agreed. Within the hour, my clothes were packed into a bundle and we set off on foot into the night. I asked no more questions, for I knew that I would be given no answers.

I was midnight as we reached the town of New Romney. It stood high on the earth wall, which marked one edge of Romney Marsh and even from a distance, we had seen that there were still many lights in the town, despite the lateness of the hour.

I could see that my uncle knew the town well, for he led me into it by way of dark, narrow alleys. At some point, we must cross the main street which ran through the town's centre, but it was not we reached it that I saw the reason for the lights. My uncle drew me back into the shadows.
The main street of the town was filled with men, many of them, mounted. Some carried lighted torches. I recognized the red and white uniforms of Dragoons - soldiers armed with swords and 'dragons', short muskets from which they took their name. There were also men dressed more simply in dark blue. These, I guessed, were Revenue men.

My uncle drew me nearer to him, whispering his words.

"Thee knows what I were doin' when I were gone from home last night?"

I nodded.

"Things did go badly wrong. There was Revenue men a-waitin' for us. I could have been seen and if there is any in the town who was on the marsh last night, I could be recognized. Thee must go on, but thee must go on alone.

He pointed to the entrance to another alley which lay across the main street.

"That is where thee must go. Follow it, turning neither right nor left and it will lead thee to the other side of the town and the edge of Walland marsh. Look to the south and thee will see the light of the fire which burns on the point at Dungeness. Set thy course by the light. In two miles, it will bring thee to the cottage of Samuel Tyler. Thee cannot mistake it, for there is none other about it. I will get a message to thee when I can, but do not return to thy home until thee hear from me. No go - and do not run across the street. Walk as if thee lived here."

I knew nothing of the Walland Marsh and wished that my uncle was coming with me but, reluctantly, I did as I was bidden.

Some way down the valley, I stopped and listened to see that none followed me. At first, there was no sound. Then, from the direction I had come, there was a sudden shouting and the firing of musket shots; then silence once more.

My first thought was for my uncle. I had feared for his capture. After the sound of firing, I now feared for his life! should I go on, or should I go back in hopes of finding out what had become of him?
Do we follow uncle's instructions?
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Listen to our uncle. Snooping didn't do us much good last time and we didn't have reason to think we had a dead uncle then.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

As I walked on down the alley, I told myself that if anything had happened to my uncle, there was little chance of my finding him without myself being stopped and questioned.

I had reached the edge of the town and Walland Marsh stretched before me. The fire upon the point at Dungeness burned there as a warning for passing ships. From where I stood, I could see it as no more than a point of orange light in the distance. I began to walk in the direction of the light.

What little cloud there had been in he night sky was gone and the stars shone bright above me. The night was getting colder and a thin mist had begun to rise from the marsh. I pulled my cloak more tightly about me.

As I walked on, the mist rose higher and the light which I followed grew more dim until, at last, I could see it no longer. I looked up. I could still see the stars above me. My uncle had taught me how to find direction by the stars. It was a lesson which I hoped that I had learned well for I had nought else to guide me.

I could walk, but slowly, hardly able to see the hround beneath my feet and having to stop often to look upwards to the stars. I had no way of measuring either time or distance, but some inner sense began to tell me that I must be nearing the cottage I sought. I was hoping for some sign - a darker shape through the mist, a sound, perhaps the smell of smoke from a fire. There was nothing.

Then as I was walking a light appeared faintly through the mist, and as quickly it was gone. Now it appeared again. The light was so faint and so quickly did it come and go that I could not decide whether it was the same light I had set out to follow. If it was, then I had misread the stars, for the light was far to my left.

Should I turn my steps towards the light? If it was the fire at Dungeness, I might already have passed by the cottage in the mist and darkness. Or should I trust my reading of the stars and go on? If I was wrong, then soon I would be truly lost upon the marsh!
Follow the light, or follow our instincts?

(Btw, I won't be online for the next 3 days. Updates will resume after that.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Follow the light.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I should have trusted my reading of the stars! The light was becoming larger and brighter, almost with every step I took. It was surely a fire, but not the one at Dungeness, which must still be far off. I could not retrace my steps. I could only go on. If there was a fire, there might also be someone tending it who could set me in the right direction.

The ground was now beginning to rise and, moments later, I had lcimbed above the mist. I was standing on the sea wall which divided Walland Marsh from the English Channel. The fire burned on the seaward edge of the wall and was made of no more than a few bales of straw. Though I could not yet see them, I could hear the waves breaking on the beach beyond the wall.

The fire shone brightly all around, but I could see no one. I had lived on the Romney Marsh long enough to know what was that I had found - a smuggler's signal fire! Somewhere out at sea in the darkness a ship would lie anchored not far from the shore. The fire was the signal that it was safe to lower its boats and land its illegal cargo on the beach. No one tended the fire, for it had already served its purpose. If there were men about, then they were waiting upon the beach below me.

I moved quickly along the wall and away from the fire. When I was certain that its light would no longer pick me out in the darkness, I crawled to the seaward edge of the wall.

I was looking down a rocky slope to a sandy beach ending in a line of white breakers. The beach lay pale in the bright starlight and I could pick out the darker figures of twenty or more men. There was little movement amongst them and I guessed that they waited the arrival of the boats.

As I too waited, my mind kept drifting back to the events of the day. I was remembering the partying from my uncle in New Romney when I was struck by a frightening thought. Was this the destination of the Dragoons and Revenue men who had filled the main street of the town? Had they not yet arrived? Were they already here, waiting only for the boats to land? Could I warn the men on the beach, or was the risk too great?
Do we think snooping and taking the risk will pay off this time?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We might as well take the risk.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I ran down the rough slope and onto the beach. I could see three boats appearing through the breakers and the men on the beach beginning to wade out towards them. No one had yet seen me, but I began to shout as soon as I though myself within earshot. I knew that I ran the risk of being fired upon by soldiers who could be lying in wait. I did not want to suffer the same fate at the hands of the smugglers who might not realize I only wanted to warn them.

All heads turned towards me. I raced across the beach, breathlessly calling, "I've come from New Romney. The town be filled with Dragoons and Revenue men! I fear they be coming here and might not be far behind me!"

As I spoke the words, there was a sound of a single pistol shot. Someone shouted, "They be here! The soldiers be here already!" I turned about to see the beach filled with soldiers. It was as if they had sprung from the sand itself, so sudden was their appearance.

There was instant panic amongst the smugglers. A hand grabbed my arm and I was dragged towards the breakers. I could see that we were heading for the boats, two of which were already pulling away from the shore. Firing had begun and I could hear the whistle of musket balls through the air; but my greatest fear was of the sea! But for the hand which held me, the waves would have thrown me beneath the water, or the swift undercurrent swept me from my feet. Then, I was lifted from the water. Hands grasped me and tumbled me into the bottom of a boat. "Thee lie low!" said a voice. I would have dared do no other!

I could hear the oars as they struck the water and still the sound of firing from the beach. As the sound of firing faded, a hand was stretched out and I was pulled from the boat's bottom. I was looking up at the face of Tom Apps, the carpenter from my own village!

He pointed towards the bows of the boat. I could see the dark outline of a ship; single-masted, with two head-sails and a bowsprit.

"Have thee ever been to France?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"'Cause that be where we be a-goin' to!"
It was with little ceremony that I was taken aboard the French cutter where she lay a half mile from the shore. As the attack on the beach had been so well planned, it was unlikely that a Revenue 'cruiser' had also been despatched to the area. The French cutter looked as if she could outrun and outgun any Revenue vessel, but her captain was not spoiling for a fight. He was anxious only to turn about and be gone in a wind already light and dropping.

In my wet clothes, I could get no sleep and saw the dawn breaking as we approached the harbour of Boulogne. It was then that I was taken to see the captain in his cabin.

He spoke little English, and I no French, but I understood that he was thanking me. though my warning had come too late, it was seen as a brave attempt. Had the soldiers waited until the boats were landed, many more might have been captured or killed. He would see that a lodging was found for me, ashore, until passing could be arranged on a ship sailing for England.

Tom Apps was appointed my guardian and shared the sane lodging. I found the food strange, and I had never been in a place so large and bustling as Boulogne. Still, I was almost sort when I learned we were to take passage to England in two days' time.

This time, our ship carried nothing but legal cargo and we were landed, openly, at the English port of Rye. Dymdyke was but fifteen or sixteen miles distant and we rode part of the way in a cart returning to Appledore.

I had not forgotten my uncle's warning not to return to my home, but things had changed. I still worried about his safety. He might have discovered that I had never reached Samuel Tyler's cottage and be equally worried about my own safety.

We neared the village of Dymdyke in the early evening. I had agreed with Tom Apps that we each told a different story, neither of us involving the other. It was better not to be seen together. Tom Apps walked on. In a few moments, I would follow on behind.
I had just entered the village when I heard hurried footsteps behind me. I turned to see Parson Bailes. The looked upon his face told me what I most feared!

"My uncle?" I asked. "What had befallen him?"

The parson took my hand, but I pulled myself away.

"If my uncle is dead, I mist go to my aunt Betsy!"

He seized my cloak.

"No! Stay! thou must not go to thy cottage. I will tell thee all - but not upon the street!"

Again, the held out his hand. Now trembling, I took it in mine and went with him to the parsonage.

I will not recount the exact words in which the story was told to me, though no man could have told it more gently than did Parson Bailes that day.

The day before, my uncle's horse had been seen wandering in the vvillage. Will Grindle had returned it to the field by the cottage and, seeing the cottage door open, and getting no reply to his knocking and calling, he had gone in. On the floor, lay my aunt, dead of a pistol ball through the heart. The alarm raised, a search was mounted for my uncle. His body was found nearby, together with that of another - Geneva Moon.

What terrible thing had happened can only be imagined. Perhaps Moon had visited the cottage and an argument had begun, my aunt being shot, mistakenly, in some struggle. Moon had then fled the cottage with my uncle following him. Moon had fired his second pistol, fatally wounding my uncle in the stomach. My uncle was now dying, but not dead. His last act was to put his sickle through the throat of Geneva Moon and to write upon the forehead in his own blood, three words - 'Informer - White Sands'.

"I know not the meaning of the words," said Parson Bailes, "but this silver charm with a broken chain was found on the cottage floor. I think it thine."

As I took it from him, my old dream flashed upon my mind. Suddenly, I knew that this was the shining thing which I picked up from the grass by the well, and that the dream must be of something true.

Tom Apps, the village carpenter, and his wife, gave me a new home. I never dreamt the dream again and shall never know the truth of the charm or for whom I had shed tears in the nigh by some lonely well.
Well, this is clearly another bad ending, so rewinding back to not warning the men on the beach....
I stood up. I still hesitated, wanting to give the warning, but knowing that if I were to run onto the beach, I might be shot by soldiers, or even a smuggler who had mistaken my intention. My hesitation was ended by a hand which grabbed me and threw me roughly on the ground.

"Thee must value thy life little if thee would think to go down there!"

I turned my head to see a grey-bearded face next to me. From his dress and the long-barreled gun he carried, I judged the man who lay beside me to be a wildfowler - a marsh man with no love for the Revenue or the soldiers who helped them. I told him what I feared.

"Ay," he said, "and thy fears be true, but we be too late. The soldiers be already on the beach."

"But where?" I asked, disbelieving him. "I can see none!"

"Then ask thyself why there be seaweed above the high water mark; seaweed which be so fresh, 'tes still shiny wel. Lie still! 'Tes not long before thee will have thine answer."

I could see three boats coming in through the breakers and the men on the beach wading out, waist deep, to haul them ashore. With many pairs of hands, the unloading of the boats was swift and, indeed, near finished, when a single pistol shot rang out and, suddenly, the beach was filled with soldiers who seemed to have risen out of the sand!"

"'Test an old trick," said my companion. "Dig a shallow trench. Lie in it and cover all but thy head and one arm. Cock thy pistol. Cover thy head and arm with seaweed - and wait!"

fighting had not broken out on the beach and some of the men were trying to escape in the boats. The man who was with me ot up, and pulled me from the ground.

"Some may come this way. 'Tes time to be gone. The most be out friend, and my cottage be not far distant. On the way, thee can tell me who thee be and what thee be doin' in this place and at this hour. At thine age thee should rightly be abed and asleep."
It took some time to reach the cottage of my new-found friend. He picked his path through the mist as if it were broad daylight, but his walk was slow and, I thought, perhaps painful.

"'Tes old age, and the marsh atween them," he said. "I does get this terrible achin' in the bones such as I could not hurry if the Devil were at my back - and sometimes it do feel like he were on it!"

As we walked, I told the rest of my story. It was as I finished, that he stopped and pointed.

"Then thou hast two things the less to trouble thee, for there be my cottage and I be Samuel Tyler!"

Once indoors, out of the mist, seated by a warm hearth and with a pot of mulled ale inside me, I fell asleep where I sat. I was woken by a hand shaking my shoulder. O could see from the window that it was barely light and wondered why my new-found uncle should be waking me at such an hour.

"Someone be a-comin'" he said, "and likely 'tes soldiers looking for any who escaped last night. Once I were a 'marsh pilot' - one who guides the smugglers across the marshes. That be years ago, but the army still remembers. They still thinks this cottage a likely place to hide a man who be fleeing justice.

He must have seen the troubled look on my face.

"Ay," he said, "'test better thee be not seen here. Best I moved thee to a place with less comfort, but which has hid many in its time."

He pulled aside a heavy chest by the wall and lifted up two boards from the floor. The space beneath was not large. I climbed down into it. He gave me a blanket, bread and a pitcher of water, and threw down the bundle in which my clothes were still tied. The boards were replaced giving me but chinks of light and air and I heard the chest slid back upon them.

Moments later there came a hammering upon the cottage door, my uncle's voice and then those of others. Then there were heavy footsteps on the floor above me which brought dust down upon my head making me want to cough and sneeze but I dared do neither.

The cottage was small and took little searching. I thought that, soon, I would be free, but a voice somewhere above me quickly put an end to my hopes.
"So there is no one hidden in the cottage."

And then my uncle's voice.

"How many is the times I must tell thee, captain? I have had no part in the trade these many years. I would thee would go and leave an old man in peace."

"Go I will, Samuel Tyler - but not yet. The cottage is empty, but there are plenty of places about here where you might hide an army of men. The man I seek is wounded. He was last seen coming this way. It will take time to search in every ditch. While my men are searching, you shall enjoy the pleasure of my company."

The search lasted most of the day, while I grew colder and stifferin every limb. Even when the search seemed complete, the soldiers did not go. From what I could hear, they were about to have their evening meal! I was giving up hope of ever escaping from my tiny prison when I heard the captain's voice above me.

"Is the old man out of earshot?"

"Yes," answered another. "He is outside getting water."

"Are plans complete for the landing at White Sands?"

"The men understand their orders, captain."

"Good, sergeant! We let too many escape last night. Let us hope that we do better to-..."

The end of the word was drowned by the banging of the cottage door, and then, "Ah! Master Tyler. You have returned in time to hear that we are leaving."

When, at least, I was released from my hiding place, I could not stand, such was the cramp in my legs. While my uncle rubbed the life back into them, I told him what I had overheard. White Sands was the nearest beach to Dymdyke. If there was to be a landing, then my uncle and many of the village men could be there. I had to warn them - but what had the captain said: 'tonight' or 'tomorrow night'?

If it was tonight, there was little time and I must go straight to the beach, though the risk of meeting the soldiers would be great. If I were stopped, and my errand suspected I would, at least, be held 'till I could give no warning. If it was tomorrow, I could travel safely to the village in daylight with small chance of being stopped.
Do we think the captain was going to say "today" or "tomorrow"?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

“Tonight” would make more sense in context.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

My uncle Samuel agreed that to go that night to the beach was the only way to be certain that my warning had a good chance of being in time.

"Wait!" he said. "There be a way - one which be the shortest path, where thee will meet no soldiers and where thee cannot lose thyself, even in a mist."

He meant by the beach, but I had heard that you could break an ankle on its rougher places and that there were shifting sands which could suck you down. But my uncle had already left me in order to seek something from a corner of the room. He brought back two boards with ropes knotted through them, which he threw down at my feet.

"So do call they 'backstays'," he said. "Tie them to thy feet and thee can walk even on shifting sand."

He took me as far as the beach, grumbling that his old bones would not take him farther. There, he tied the boards to my feet and set me on my way.

"Remember," he shouted, "to point thy feet to the front and keep thy legs apart!"

Awkward at first, I soon found myself making a good pace and, in what seemed little time, had reached the edge of White Sands. Its gentle curve was lying bright in the starlight, and I could see no one upon it.

As I moved forward again, I felt the boards on my feet sinking in the sand. I saw that I must move my feet more quickly. The boards held me until I was on firmer ground, but I didn't like the feeling and marked the spot in my mind should I need to return.

Since there was no one on the beach, I made for the sea wall, untying the boards before scrambling to its top. It was before I reached it, that I heard voices. I could see the back of two men standing a little farther along the wall. One was speaking.

"The fire will be lit here and the boats always land at that spot. Thy man should be in their places tomorrow night well afore 'tes midnight."

The speaker was Geneva Moon. The man with him I could now see wore the uniform of a Revenue man! The men parted and Moon was standing alone. I had to get to my uncle Joseph's cottage. I had left the backstays down the slope. Should I leave them, or go back for them, lest Moon should see them and guess he had been overheard?
Again, some of the surprise factor is lost here because we already learned that Moon was the informer through the previous bad ending we got.

Should we go back for the backstays?
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Leave them.