OSSR - Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Lands

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

OSSR - Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Lands

Post by deaddmwalking »

I’m blessed with a good high-volume used bookstore that stocks RPG materials. Often they’re overpriced… Who am I kidding – they’re always overpriced. Even when I buy something for $2-5, it’s more than it’s worth. But I’m a sucker – if it looks like a good deal, I’ll pick it up. What my gaming collection lacks in quality it makes up for in breadth.

One of the books I picked up on the cheap was Frost and Fur. With the recent review of Frostburn, clearly a procedurally generated shovel-ware product, I thought I should crack open this book and give it a read.
It’s got a nice looking cover

It appears that Frost and Fur was released in February of 2004, 7 months before Frostburn – I might have expected that it was a cynical ploy to cash-in on grandparents buying the wrong Christmas present.

Surely it’s not just bad Disney knock-offs

The cover gives a single author: Michael Tresca – I’m not familiar with his works – it appears he has a mix of gaming and non-gaming credits. So let’s crank this bad boy open!

In addition to the author we have a single editor, a single graphic designer (both also have Production Credit), four interior artists and one cover artist. The very next page is the start of the Table of Contents, and I have to admit, it’s a little overwhelming. It’s not one page, it’s not two pages, it’s not three pages – it’s five fuckin’ pages – each 3 columns each with approximately 58 entries, so we’re talking 870 distinct entries per the table of contents. And the book has an index too (starting on page 232). It becomes very clear that it’s not uncommon for each page to have more than a dozen ‘sections’. Under a category like Feats it lists every single Feat in the Table of Contents. You might think that makes everything easy to find, but I’m not so sure. Under the feats chapter, they don’t have a table with a brief description, so unless you already know what Skjaldborg is talking about, seeing it listed in the Table of Contents may not help.
Turns out, it’s a shield wall, but you can’t call it that because there is a totally DIFFERENT feat called Shield Wall (Edit - But not in this book). It’s also REALLY, REALLY, REALLY a waste of a feat, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

We’re on page 7 (3% down, 97% to go) and we get to the Introduction. This book tells us it is going to talk about the Artic and the ‘sub-arctic’. It defines the sub-arctic as anything beyond the 51st parallel – that works out to basically all of Russia, nearly all of Canada, Essex England, a chunk of Germany, all the Nordic countries. The 51st parallel south only hits the southern tip of South America (and all of Antartica) so I’m going to do like this book and mostly ignore it - but the book is making real-world references (and most of the introduction is a Wikipedia style description of real-world temperatures, winds, daylight. It appears there’s no attempt to broadly define cold places to include mountains or to consider fantasy variations.

But ‘Frost and Fur’ doesn’t just detail rules on survival in the cold regions, it also examines the people who live there. Snapshots of different cultures from around the world provide a multitude of gaming opportunities to introduce your gaming group to a chillingly beautiful new land.

The rest of the Introduction is a just over a page of fiction. And the start of the next section has ~two more pages… The fiction likes to use words you won’t know, but the characters helpfully translate them in the same sentence. “He is the greatest promyshlenniki, the greatest trapper Torassia has”.
Maybe they’re not making UP words, but it feels just as annoyingly gratuitous

Not-Russia is Tarassia and not-China (or Mongolia) is Ni’Sheng. So far no reason to care.

We’re going to cover:

Cold Terrain
Environmental Hazards
Races
Classes
Equipment
Skills & Feats
Magic
Monsters
Magic Items
Norse Culture
Eskimo Culture
Slavic Culture
Ice Age Culture

One thing that’s annoying about the Table of Contents is that each of the culture sections has a list of monsters that are appropriate to that culture (ie, a subset of the monsters described in this book). So you’ll see a heading like ‘Pantheon’ with two entries after it, then a heading like ‘Monsters’ with eight entries after it and it turns out that they’re actually a continuation of ‘pantheon’ and they didn’t want you to overlook ‘Monsters’ in the middle. In 1st edition they solved that by having a list of tables and charts that was separate from the full Table of Contents.

Next up Environmental Hazards!
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DDMW wrote:The very next page is the start of the Table of Contents, and I have to admit, it’s a little overwhelming. It’s not one page, it’s not two pages, it’s not three pages – it’s five fuckin’ pages – each 3 columns each with approximately 58 entries, so we’re talking 870 distinct entries per the table of contents. And the book has an index too (starting on page 232). It becomes very clear that it’s not uncommon for each page to have more than a dozen ‘sections’. Under a category like Feats it lists every single Feat in the Table of Contents.
This is what happens when you use automatic indexing programs. It creates an entry for every single thing with the appropriate heading size, which for an RPG book makes a jambalaya of bullshit because there are a lot of reasons things can have different heading sizes, and only a few of them involve being sections that you'd want to index in the table of contents.

The 870 entry table of contents is exactly 5% less lazy than White Wolf's patented 6 item table of contents. And only 5% more useful.

-Username17
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Ancient History wrote:
AncientH

... harpy furry fapfest ...
They have a lot of artists, and the title "Frost and Fur" sounds profoundly dirty to me. Does it dive deep into that uncanny valley?
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

It sounds moderately dirty to me, but I'm also hoping for Ice Queens in fancy fur outfits.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The interior art (all black & white) is surprisingly decent. There is no full page art and no full color art. Most of the people are dressed appropriately for the cold. So far there has been one picture of a Vikingish girl wearing effectively a chainmail bikini - as far as cheesecake (or beefcake goes) this book does not have much.
-This space intentionally left blank
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Cold Terrains
We’re listening to Hot Blooded by Foreigner. It’s the name of a feat. Just about everyone gets it for free.

I feel like the Introduction didn’t really lay out a case for why you WANT to play D&D in the snow. I mean, sure, the TERRAIN is beautiful but the game is one of spoken language. In any case, more fiction. This time we have not-Inuit hunting caribou. One thing that I find frustrating is when the fiction sounds okay, but doesn’t actually work with the game rules. Our hunter fires his bow twice and drops two caribou. The book will give us stats for them – they have 22 hit points. The weapons section (which we haven’t gotten to) doesn’t list damages for arrows (but it does for bows) even though it has two different types of arrows. But assuming we were using a composite longbow from the PHB, the hunter (who’s a grandfather) deals 1d8+5 base damage, he’d have to score two critical hits in a row. Now, maybe you should be able to drop a deer with a single arrow, but then they should have rules about caribou dying when you shoot them even if they have hit points… Basically, what sounds good and what is plausible in game are not aligned. Since this is a game book providing rules to GIVE US the play experience they’re describing, every time it falls short in such an obvious way deserves remarking on. Alas, I will find myself doing so many more times!

It would not surprise me at all if this image directly inspired the fiction – it certainly strongly resembles the interior art

In any case, checking out whether it was POSSIBLE by the rules was super-frustrating. There are no clear rules for special materials, nothing to indicate whether an ivory arrow is better or worse than a steel arrow. Even with the overly long Table of Contents and the Index answering this question wasn’t as easy as it should be.

But I’m glad that I have something to rant about in this section because the rest of the chapter is more Wikipedia excerpts. It’s dry. We have:

Cold Aquatic
Cold Desert
Cold Forest (Taiga)
Cold Hills (Steppe)
Cold Marsh (Bog)
Cold Mountains (Alpine Tundra)
Cold Plains (Tundra)
Cold Underground (Ice Caves)

Did you know that sometimes the soil in the Cold Desert is salty, but that if the drainage is good it’s not? I didn’t, and I don’t care. There’s nothing about anything game related in these descriptions. It does have encounter tables. Even though ‘cold deserts don’t have much to offer other races. Usually only human barbarians, orcs, and by proxy their half-orc kin, are found in this most inhospitable of lands’, you still have Bugbears, Harpies, Hobgoblins, Meduae, and Ogres on the list of encounters. Lions make the list, but not tigers. Is that because Lions are in the Monster Manual and tigers aren’t? I have no idea. Lions aren’t on the list for any OTHER terrain types, and Tigers aren’t on ANY either…

It just seems obvious to me that this is something people would want

Even though this is a fantasy game, Taiga’s can cover up to 11% of a planet’s surface. That seems stupidly limiting but at least they say Wood Elves might live in the Taiga, not SNOW WOOD ELVES. Of course, I can’t give them too much credit – they do have four new elvish sub-races (one for each culture), but once again, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Everything in this section seems too focused on the real world. Wolves are the most feared and dangerous animal even though Winter Wolves are listed as a monster that you can find there. The only nod to ‘fantasy’ is to say that ‘most fantasy races’ don’t exploit the resources. Since there are fantasy races that are actually 100% immune to cold, it seems like a glaring failure of imagination. I know they want to have a world where you have Vikings and Inuit (which the book insists on calling Eskimos), so having a colony of Tieflings that have moved to desperately cold lands (with their Resist Cold 5) and dominate is too big a leap for some people, but it’d at least be an interesting take on a really cold setting.

Tundra gets gnomes and Ice Caves get Icy Dwarves. We'll learn more about the races in the Races Chapter.

And that's the chapter. The Hazards you find in cold terrains come in the following chapter. Although hitting them both may make this entry a little lengthy, I'm doing it... Up to this point there hasn't been any real substance. Game rule information really starts in the next chapter.

Environmental Hazards

This chapter also starts with more fiction – essentially a continuation of all the other fiction. Hunter is hired to go to the wastes. He finds Eskimos (that’s what they’re called in this book), they hunt seals, he leaves, it looks like he plans to bring hunters back and kill all the seals.

I’m going to take an aside and confront the use of the term Eskimo. Here’s an article from 2016 – it was then that Obama signed into law legislation that replaced the word Eskimo with Alaska Native. Not all Alaska Natives are Inuit; the Yup’ik are another indigenous group that was included in the term Eskimo but should not be included with the Inuit. In this case, I’m going to continue to use the term Eskimo because the book uses the term – not because I necessarily agree or endorse the usage in this context.
Or this one, but I definitely won’t ask for an InuitPie – sometimes substitution is just as insensitive!

This section is laid out a little strangely – it’s basically alphabetical, but variations of a theme are grouped together as though they’re different sections. There is a section on Snow, Light Snow, Heavy Snow, Snowstorm all together each with its own heading, but Thunder Snow is under T.

The section is 10 pages long. Many of the environmental hazards are covered by the PHB, so some of this is a rehash. It does have rules on Snowballs.
Snowballs
Making a snowball is easy. Characters can wad up snow in a ball if it’s available and hurl it as opponents. It takes on action to make a snowball. Snowballs inflict 1d2 points of nonlethal damage and have a critical of x2. Iceballs can be made by melt the snowball so it hardens – either by smoothing it with one’s hands or by leaving it out in the cold. Sculpting an iceball so it becomes solid takes one round. Iceballs inflict 1d2 points of actual (not subdual)

That’s exactly what they wrote – the bit about ‘made by melt’ is what it says. I’m confused by references to both non-lethal and subdual damage – maybe this has been percolating for a long time.

There are a lot of tables that are nods to simulationism. If you’re in an Arctic Desert in January, the average temperature is -23 degrees Fahrenheit. If the wind is blowing at 20 miles per hour, the effective temperature at -20 degrees is -67 degrees. You might wonder why you would care about the actual temperature because game effects are designated by the severity of the cold, but it’s because there are a lot of other tables that include temperature adjustments. If you have a small fire, it raises the local temperature by +50 degrees. It might matter if the effective temperature is -20 or -67. Of course, it might be weird that you could literally be IN THE FIRE taking FIRE DAMAGE and still be freezing to death, too.
All I’m saying is that at some point, we should be okay just knowing that it’s too fuckin’ cold

There’s a table for rolling random weather, and it could be warmer or colder than ‘average’ but it is not at all clear when or if you roll again. If PCs spend a week walking across the wilderness do you roll 1/day? 1/hour?

The Environmental Hazards have things like Dehydration and Hypothermia. There are modifiers for things like Armor and a Cold Weather Outfit, but nothing about Cold Resistance or spells. There’s some 3.0 showing – Wilderness Lore is listed as a bonus to resisting Hypothermia. Under these rules the amount of damage you’ve taken relative to your hit points determines your degree of Hypothermia. The 3.x rules indicate that you’re fatigued if you take any damage from exposure to cold; this book doesn’t list effects until you have taken 25% of your hit points. They start with -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, and move half normal speed plus fatigue – which you should have ANYWAY if you look at the 3.x rules. So presumably these are in addition to the rules in the PHB and it’s basically bad news for PCs – you’re more screwed than you realized.

The Frostbite rules are worse. If you fail a check for Hypothermia, you make a check for Frostbite. You count how many times you fail to determine how badly off you are. It’s entirely possible to die from Hypothermia without ever getting even Mild Frostbite. But all the frostbite categories add even more penalties to Strength and Dexterity…

Okay, it’s time to rant again. The thing that frustrates me about this is how inelegant it is mathematically. Let’s break it down:

Step 1) Table Lookup for Average Temperature (degrees F) based on Terrain and Season
Step 2) Roll a d100 to apply a modifier to the temperature and windspeed
* note - the base windspeed is not included; you are given a modifier (positive or negative, but no base value to apply it against.
Step 3) Table Lookup for effective temperature based on windchill
* note – if you assume that the base windspeed is 0 MPH there are some entries on the table that you will never access.
Step 4) Compare the ‘effective temperature including windchill effect’ to the paragraph on Exposure on the following page to determine whether a save is required, whether it is once per hour or minute based on the temperature
Step 5) Determine a DC. Base 15, +1 for every previous check and +1 for every 10 degrees below the base (which apparently itself depends on whether it is cold or EXTREME cold.
Step 6) Determine which modifiers apply – things like +5 for Cold Weather Outfit and bonuses for armor. There’s a feat that gives you +6 to this check. If you exert yourself, you can get a bonus equal to your CON bonus (ie, you can get 2x your CON bonus to your Fortitude save if you run in circles flapping your arms like a chicken)
Step 7) Assuming a failure, roll 1d6 non-lethal damage. Compare total damage taken total hit points (ie, 50%, 75%) to determine additional effects.
Step 8) Make a check against frostbite – you converte the nonlethal damage to lethal damage if you fail.
Step 9) Track how many times you fail against frostbite; 1 failed save has some effects, 3 failed saves has progressively worse effects

If you track everything correctly, ignore the divide by zero errors, you might get to have your fingers and toes fall off.
Making way too complicated systems to do simple tasks is only funny when you realize that’s what you’re doing

So let me take a moment and put on my designer’s cap. Even though the author is trying to make a comprehensive system, there are a lot of things that simply aren’t addressed. If I have Resist Cold 5, but I’m making a check 1/minute, do I take damage if I roll a 6? Or do I assume that the damage is always less than 1 point per round and that the roll at the end of a minute is a summation of total damage accumulated over a long period of time? Based on the DC increasing per prior check, it is impossible to survive indefinitely regardless of how warmly you’re dressed – what circumstances ‘reset’ the DC?

So how would I do it differently? I think a Fortitude Save isn’t a bad place to start. And this is a book about expanding the rules for adventuring in Cold Environments so I can either toss the PHB rules or modify them as I like. I don’t really want to have to determine if I’m tracking minutes for some characters based on their clothing and tracking hours for other characters. So how could I do this instead?

Here’s my proposal… We keep the PHB designations of Cold/Extreme Cold. We also have Wind Speed Catetories (light, Moderate, Strong, Severe, Windstorm, Hurricane, Tornado). In either Cold/Extreme Cold you make the check every 10 minutes, regardless of what you’re wearing. The TN is 15 for Cold; it is 25 for Severe Cold. Each category above Light applies a +5 setting – if you’re in a place sheltered from the wind the penalty doesn’t apply. In Cold Settings you take 2d6 cold; in Extreme Cold you take 4d6. If you fail by 5 or more, you treat the damage as lethal. We apply modifiers on the Fortitude save for things like Cold Weather Clothing (+5) and we provide some other cold-weather accessories so players can Barbie up their characters with Bear-skin cloaks, hand-muffs, mittens etc. Every point of Cold Resistance you have provides a +2 on the check (ie, Cold Resist 5 is +10). The base temperature for all of our Artic places is ‘extreme cold’ in winter and ‘cold’ in summer.

How would this work out?

1) Generate weather however you normally do – maybe it’s unusually warm in summer so it’s not cold, or it’s unusually cold in summer so it is extreme cold. You could also set daytime temperatures to one category higher.
2) Roll a Fortitude Check for every member of the party every 10 minutes.
3) Apply damage on a failed save; treat damage as lethal if they fail the check by 5 or more.

Now I’m not going to claim that this is a paragon of design principles – this is looking at what they did and spending 5 minutes thinking about how to simplify it, and most of that time was writing my thoughts stream-of-consciousness style.
Like, you have months between initial draft and final publication – why wouldn’t you spend some time trying to improve your design – especially if you try it at the table and find out it’s too unwieldy

Okay – rant aside the book continues with a host of reasons you would be crazy to adventure in cold places including starvation, blindness, sunburn, and lack of potable water. Throughout the descriptions it’s pretty clear that the author is flirting with system neutral assumptions – I see that he has a Call of Cthulu credit – maybe that’s where it is coming from. As an example, if a character is ‘dying’ of starvation (meaning they have lost 100% of their hit points due to failing starvation checks) it says:
Character begins suffering normal damage and is Unconscious. Enemies can make advantageous attacks against unconscious characters, or even deliver a usually lethal coup de grace.

While that’s certainly TRUE, it just feels like saying ‘character is unconscious’ covers all of that…

Okay, moving on, other than the dangers from the CLIMATE, there are also dangers from the TERRAIN.

Crevasses exist if your DM decides to put one there – there are no rules for frequency, but if you walk over one, you could die. Glaciers don’t pose a credible threat to PCs (unless you walk across it and fall in a crevasse). Walking across ice invites the ice cracking ‘as a plot device at the DMs discretion’, but if you want to pretend you’re being fair they have a base chance and some modifiers; rolling under the value you calculate results in ice cracking. None of the modifiers include how much weight you put on the ice – a Halfling and an ogre both have the same chance of having the ice crack under them. Icebergs don’t like being laughed at. We also have Insect Clouds, Moulins (a crevassed where you also risk drowning after you fall), Seracs (towers that might fall on you) and Snow Quicksand (Snow Swamp).
Seems legit

In addition to Climate and Terrain, we also have Natural Disasters. This starts with two-and-a-half pages about Avalanches. DMs basically decide whether an area is prone to avalanches – an easy skill check tells you if an area is prone to them several times per year (DC 10) or if they’re extremely rare – virtually unheard of (DC 25). But even if it’s ‘basically unheard of’ the chance of triggering an avalanche is exactly the same if they’re possible. If you go to a place where they’re VIRTUALLY UNHEARD OF, cast a fireball that does 60 points of damage while singing, you have to roll above a 14 on a d20 to avoid triggering an avalanche. DMs are encouraged to decide how big an avalanche is, of you can roll for it randomly. Catastrophic Avalanches only happen on a 20, but medium avalanches (40%) are more frequently than small avalanches (25%). There’s some effort to make an avalanche an encounter – you have time to respond. You can try to ‘ride the wave’ and if you get buried your Will save determines whether you suffocate.

Once again, there’s no consideration of fantastic creatures. Is the roar of a white dragon a ‘loud noise’? Can they use their winds to create a ‘strong wind’? Spending even a minute to consider the question might have opened up a can of worms, but it’s a good can of worms.
That’s a thing, right?

Other than normal snow avalanches, you can have ice avalanches, water avalanches, or, if a volcano is involved, a combination of them.

Next up – Races.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

HOLY SHIT SNOWBALL RULES! AND AVALANCHE RULES! :eek:
I'm already a fan of this book. Not saying I'd use it - but they have their hearts in the right place (mostly).
Did you know that sometimes the soil in the Cold Desert is salty, but that if the drainage is good it’s not? I didn’t, and I don’t care.
I didn't, but I totally care. That's some neat information that's useful when creating believable settlements within the biome.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Did you know that sometimes the soil in the Cold Desert is salty, but that if the drainage is good it’s not? I didn’t, and I don’t care.
I didn't, but I totally care. That's some neat information that's useful when creating believable settlements within the biome.
I am glad you're excited but I'm afraid you'll be disappointed - I may have made it sound better researched than it was. That particular sentence was glaring because it was 'sometimes these places are salty, but sometimes they're not' and it didn't have anything about how to determine what leads to good drainage. And as I've been digging through this book I have been disappointed a goodly number of times (my review is trailing my reading by about 2 days).

Moving on!

Races

Spoiler for Size
Thematically Appropriate, but also completely wrong

This is a 3.x book (at least, purportedly) so even if it gets a little muddled on that point, it was inevitable that we’d see races. This book includes 10 pages for this chapter, starting with roughly a page of fiction. This time the not-Russians are back, they’ve built a fort, and they’re paying the not-Inuit whiskey and guns to hunt seals for them…or else. The fiction makes not-Russian guns sound really good, but it’s a pistol that does 1d10 and a musket that does 1d12 – it doesn’t appear to have all the limitations about rate of fire but once again I’m getting a head of myself.

Potentially not safe for work image
I was considering a sidebar about geek fandom and encouraging fantasy weapons and a desire to engage in gun fetishizing. I made the mistake of searching the term ‘gun porn’ and it turns out that that’s actually a thing and doesn’t bring up the Street Samurai Catalog like I innocently believed…

One of the things about the various chapters on races is that very few of them truly resonate. I’m a little crotchety and get tired of having more than 100 various subraces of elves to support, but I also understand why people want to customize their character to feel unique. If ‘you could have any color of car you want, as long as it’s black’ was true today, I’d still be lost at Disneyland. So broadly, I support more races – especially if they’re actually offering a story hook for the players. Let’s see how we do…

Dwarves
Turns out that when you breathe, you get frost in your beard, and it can turn to icicles. Having a beard is not suitable to cold environments. If you don’t take the stupid feat about being Hot-Blooded, you get a beard hindrance. This is even more stupid than it sounds, but the most ridiculous part is that you’re making a save (DC 10) once every hour in addition to all the other saves the book wants you to make – you can save against Hypothermia, Frostbite and beard freezing, with separate rolls.

That was fast! I have no more hope for this section but, like our erstwhile polar explorers, I will push on.

Apparently, the first section on Dwarves covers ‘native to cold mountain dwarves’ and these features modify the ones that dwarves normally get. It is not clear if they completely replace them, but if so, that is a bad trade. If it’s in addition to, well, maybe the Beard Hindrance was to pay for them, but letting Dwarves keep their Dodge bonus to fighting giants when they’re standing on ice with enough ranks in Balance doesn’t seem like the kind of ability you need to pay extra for.

Dwarves include four sub-races – a Slavic Dwarf, a Nordic Dwarf, an Eskimo Dwarf, and an Ice-Age Dwarf. I’m not sure if you’d think that they are a dwarf from that culture but it’s more what that culture thinks about fantasy dwarves – except for ice-age dwarves, obviously – they’re just someone spitballing what cave-dwarves should be like. I am not at all qualified to determine whether the cultural variations are based on real myths.

Slavic Dwarves are actually Gnomes. They’re small, they get ghost sound, they work with wood instead of stone, and they live under your stove.

You might expect that Nordic Dwarves are just Dwarves, because that’s largely where their heritage comes from, but that wouldn’t give you Ring of Nibelungen style crafting. So you lose racial bonuses against orcs/goblins, Expert is your favored class, and you get some cantrips. The book says that these Dwarves are ‘legendary smiths and enchanters of weapons and armor’. You might be wondering how an Expert picks up Forge Ring or enchants ANY weapons or armor. That seems like a really good question that this book should answer, but it doesn’t. I just don’t even know…

Eskimo Dwarves are medium-sized gnomes that live like ground hogs, and sometimes people fall into their tunnels and get hurt. Among the abilities you lose if you choose this subrace is a +4 to Appraise checks that you don’t get as a Dwarf (it might be referring to the +2 on stone or metal items). Or maybe it’s 3.0, or maybe they literally did mean them to be gnomes.
Cave Dwarves apparently have a lot of traction – probably because living in caves and living in mountain fortresses seems pretty plausible

These are not those dwarves. I mean, not really. They’re fleet of foot (but only move at 20), and hide a lot. They have houses that look like beehives that they live in during the Winter but they spend all summer raising cows and dogs on the plains. Why cows and not buffalo or caribou or Giant Irish Elk? I don’t know. They also throw darts and spears, no axes or hammers.

Elves
There are so many elves – winged elves, sea elves, moon elves, sun elves, dark elves, shadow elves – probably umbral elves, too. Who would have thought that a race of people who are mysterious, tragic, ethereally beautiful and better than you would take off with the gaming public

Like the dwarves, there are subraces for each culture. All elves get a default package of abilities that includes ‘hot-blooded’. The fluff and crunch don’t match: “Elves seem to be completely immune to the effects of the cold and receive Hot-Blooded as a bonus feat” – a +6 is nowhere NEAR immune. If these elves have 5 ranks in Balance they can walk on snow like Legolas.

Okay, once again setting aside that Dwarves and Elves come from the same folkloric tradition as Dwarves, maybe it’s not weird that they ALSO look like Gnomes (but with different cantrips). From a mechanical perspective, there’s nothing you couldn’t get better from another flavor of Elf, so I doubt anyone ever played this version of the Alfar (I’m not saying there aren’t other 3.x races called the Alfar that might be different).

The male Slavic elves are more like satyrs or something – they’re covered with fur and protect the forest. The female ones ‘appear as young girls dressed in white’ – and seem to fill the description of Dryad. They use whips and clubs, so maybe a BDSM dryad derivative?

Probably safe for work?
I don’t have a problem with more sexy ladies in my D&D generally. A playable dryad from 1st level? No worse than a Shifter or a Changeling – it’s not quite right but I approve of the sentiment

The ice age version of the elf is a mahogany-skinned 12-foot tall being with a racial memory feature. It says they’re considered large, but doesn’t specify what effects are applied. They lose the +2 Dex/-2 Con of a normal dwarf in favor of a +2 Int/-2 Wis, but if it worked like monster size increases (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con) it’d certainly be worth considering. Once again a failure to engage with the existing rules makes using this game content problematic.

The Eskimo elves are cold elves – they lose immunity to sleep and favored weapons in favor of cold terrain features.

Just an aside – each of the subraces has a name associated with it (ie, the last race is described as: Subrace: Tornrait (Eskimo). I don’t know if it makes sense to even flavor them as sub-races rather than just introduce a new race into the setting under that name. It probably would have been easier to describe them without talking about how they’re DIFFERENT and just assume we don’t know anything about them – if a 12-foot-tall mahogany skinned giant with a perfect racial memory fits in the elf bucket, well, anything could.

Gnomes

I admit that I’m surprised that they have a section on variant gnomes. I feel like half the dwarves were re-skinned gnomes and half the elves were re-skinned gnomes. So we HAVE to be digging deep to finish this with variantions for every race, and it certainly LOOKS like that’s what we’re doing. The amount of space devoted to each race falls off rapidly starting here.
We all get tired of doing stupid stuff just for the sake of doing what we said we would do. I totally relate. Like right this minute.

Picking up the pace.

I’m actually surprised – gnomes don’t suck. They get the ability to burrow in the snow at a speed of 10’. That’s actually an interesting ability. It’ll never get used, but you could hang an encounter of two around it. All the various subraces are pointless and stupid – some of them pick up some dwarf features so you have every gradation you could possibly want between dwarf, elf, and gnome. The Ice Age gnomes are supposed to have advanced technological culture resulting from an alchemical substance called ‘Vril’. I don’t think flying ships, gas-bombs or Vril are actually in this book – my guess is that the author is actually testing whether anyone reads about gnomes.

Half-elves

Half-Elves get ‘hot-blooded’ which is a feature that Elves get. When elves get it, they get a specific bonus feat (hot-blooded) that provides a +6 bonus on Fortitude saves against freezing your tits off. When Half-Elves get an ability with the same name, they don’t get the bonus feat, and they only get a +2 racial bonus to resist cold. Technically they’re not precluded from also taking the feat for a total bonus of +8 because the feat provides an untyped bonus (not that anyone should). I don’t think it is generally a good idea to call similar abilities that work different the same name. Maybe they were originally going to get the full bonus but someone was worried about half-elves being too powerful?
Actually not as far off as I’d like – I’m recovering from a pretty severe cold

The Halfling section is very short – if you’re half 12-foot tall giant you’re a normal half-elf. Otherwise it’s lose this +1 and get this +1 and you don’t care.

Halflings

Halflings take some traits from artic hares. They can walk on snow (like elves) with 5 ranks in balance, and they can ski across snow (apparently with bare feet) with 5 ranks in Tumble. I like to imagine they have MUCH bigger feet than normal Halflings. The Eskimo-flavored Halfling gains darkvision, but the Deep Halfling is better in every way, so if that’s an option and you’d take that instead. But there are worse life-choices you can make. The Slavic Halfling gains Unarmed Combat as a feat and favored class Monk.
Hopefully everyone knows that by now.

The Ice-Age Halfling have a very close relationship with dogs – they call packmates. Depending on how you parse this pair of sentences, maybe too close: “As dogs grow to trust and interact with humans, Halflings made places for them in camp and began generations of breeding. They ride tham as mounts and use them in hunting.”

Half-Orcs
There’s one of the standard boilerplate explanations of how if you’re a half-orc, it was almost certainly rape. Now you can sleep naked! Literally, that’s the name of an ability they have. They get a bonus feat called Hypothermic Sleep for free. I skipped ahead and read it – it gives you Resist Cold 1 while sleeping, so pretty clearly this book thinks that if you’re taking 1d6 damage per minute that this feat solves that problem. Normally you would need Hot-Blooded as a pre-requisite, but they don’t get Hot-Blooded. So I guess they go to sleep whenever they think they might freeze… They’re pretty explicit that it doesn’t apply when you’re awake – this all seems odd and strange, but I’m starting to find it comforting that nothing works the way I think it should – or perhaps I should say ‘nothing works’. The people who live in the cold can’t actually live in the cold (unless they’re asleep, I guess).

So you know how earlier I said it would be better if they didn’t try to describe each race as a culturally specific variation of an existing D&D race? Well, with the Eskimo-flavored version of the Half-Orc, that is absolutely true. Even though it is listed as a half-orc subrace…
As there are no orcs in an Eskimo campaign, there are no half-orcs. However, arulataq are fond of kidnapping human women and half-arulataq are the result
In the monster picture, there is a picture. It’s basically Sasquatch.
But who am I to judge? Bigfoot Erotica is totall a thing. Leslie Cockburn isn’t wouldn’t be what I consider the target demographic, but calling this the Leslie Cockburn Special is way easier to type.

Now, you might think that our basic-half-orc and our Eskimo half-orc would be a full course of casual racism, but Neanderthals are also a subrace of orc according to the heading organization. They lose orc blood and darkvision and get crap you don’t care about so it’s hard to claim that the casual racism is the worst thing about them.

The final ‘half-orc’ is a ‘half-troll’ for your Nordic setting. But they’re just half-orcs without orc blood.

Humans
This section doesn’t include breakdowns on variant human races (yay!) but instead discusses cultures – specifically Aleut (Eskimo[, Inuit (Eskimo) [so they totally know that is a thing!!!], Norsemen (Nordic), Prehistoric (Ice Age), Slavs (Slavic), and Tlingit (Eskimo. Embedded within this section is a glossary of ~80 Inuit words. Some of the words that make the list include meteor, yellow-billed loon and lemming nest.

All of the human cultures lose their bonus feat and get a favored terrain and hot-blooded as bonus feats. Since those feats are terrible, it’s probably a net-loss, but it looks like more! Ice Age humans only get Hot-blooded and they get saddled with illiteracy, so CHOOSING to be an ice-age human is not smart.

So all the other human cultures lose a bonus feat and gain the favored terrain/feat combination except for Slavs.
+2 cultural bonus on saving throws against poison. Slavic people love to drink. They have such a high tolerance to alchol that they are hardier than other folk.
+2 morale saving throws against fear. Slavic people are notoriously difficult to impress or frighten. They are so accustomed to grief that the horrors of the supernatural rarely phase them.
I was going to say something about casual racism being wrong, but this one might just check out

And that covers Races! Classes is next– which is way shorter than you’d expect so we might make it a double post.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Post by ColorBlindNinja61 »

deaddmwalking wrote: The ice age version of the elf is a mahogany-skinned 12-foot tall being with a racial memory feature. It says they’re considered large, but doesn’t specify what effects are applied. They lose the +2 Dex/-2 Con of a normal dwarf in favor of a +2 Int/-2 Wis, but if it worked like monster size increases (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con) it’d certainly be worth considering. Once again a failure to engage with the existing rules makes using this game content problematic.
I assume you meant elf?
deaddmwalking wrote: The Halfling section is very short – if you’re half 12-foot tall giant you’re a normal half-elf. Otherwise it’s lose this +1 and get this +1 and you don’t care.
And similarly, I assume you meant half-elf?
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Yes on both counts.
-This space intentionally left blank
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Frostburn is miles ahead on rules for freezing to death or having large chunks of snow fall on you. A design is complete not when there is nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

Having separate rolls for beardcicles and frostbite and shit is just fiddly bullshit. The Frostburn system is simple enough that you could actually use it and also too it's simple enough that players can meaningfully prepare for it.

I have no idea if the overly complex Frost and Fur systems have been mathhammered enough to provide reasonable outcomes. I have a strong suspicion that it has not. But the Frostburn rules for freezing to death actually have been. You can certainly quibble about them, but at the end of the day they work well enough. And the real bottom line is that rules too complex to use won't be used regardless of what quality of outputs they would produce.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

deaddmwalking wrote:

I actually ended up going to the hospital in an ambulance last night and was admitted from the ER to the hospital proper. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having trouble breathing and I was lightheaded. I actually fainted for the first time in my life....twice. Fortunately, the heart is fine which is the only thing I was worried about. Convincing the doctor that I was well enough to go home was the real challenge. So no double post and I may be delayed in getting this finished until well into next week depending on what work does to me.

MOVING ON!

Classes
So this starts on 44 and ends on 49. The first two pages is nearly all fiction, the rest is descriptions of how the standard PHB classes fit in the world. The very last paragraph is about Prestige Classes.

There are no new classes or prestige classes in this book.
Okay, maybe two. Giving us a reason to WANT to play in the arctic (still waiting) and content players can use (still waiting)

The fiction talks about the Native tribes becoming dependent on foreign guns for hunting so if the foreigners stop providing bullets, they may all starve. There’s no place to make guns or bullets in the frozen north.
This chapter details how the various adventure classes and NPC classes are affected by a world of nsow and ice, including both PC and NPC classes. Each class’ appropriate setting is identified as Eskimo, Ice Age, Nordic or Slavic. Fantasy is the default fantasy setting. New classes and prestige classes are presented in the various settings chapters.
Okay, so we are getting classes and prestige classes, but not in the classes chapter. Those start on 171 and we’re on 45. We have Skills/Feats, Magic, Equipment, and Monsters to go before we get there. Those sections can be long, but should go relatively quickly.

Basically each section describes what each basic class is called in each culture and adds alternative rules. Some classes (like the cleric) are only appropriate to a fantasy setting, while barbarians are appropriate for Eskimo, Fantasy, Ice Age, Nordic and Slavic. Some classes, like the Barbarian, get additional abilities that you don’t care about (like raising your blood temperature so you’re less likely to freeze while raging). Props for including Psion (appropriate for Eskimo, fantasy, Ice Age, and Nordic) and Psychic Warrior (Eskimo, Fantasy, Ice Age). The ‘extra abilities’ are pretty laughable generally. A 20th level rogue can ‘ski’ like a Halfling variant moving twice his speed without provoking attacks of opportunity on snow. The book suggests that only Sorcerers be allowed in most settings, with the wizard also allowed in a Slavic setting. There are some culturally appropriate casters that will be detailed later in the book (at least, so it claims).

Prestige Classes
In general, prestige classes are setting specific. The standard prestige classes detailed in the DMG are optional and should be considered carefully before placement into an arctic campaign. In general, they are not appropriate, but the choice is yours. We have provided a number of setting specific prestige classes in the chapters on settings later in this book
Wait, did you think you were getting something to EXPAND your existing campaign into the Frozen Wastes. Apparently not. This I a campaign setting (or three) that all share ‘being cold’ as a theme. So far, not what I was expecting or hoping for.

ColorBlindNinja61
Master

deaddmwalking wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:

I actually ended up going to the hospital in an ambulance last night and was admitted from the ER to the hospital proper. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having trouble breathing and I was lightheaded. I actually fainted for the first time in my life....twice. Fortunately, the heart is fine which is the only thing I was worried about. Convincing the doctor that I was well enough to go home was the real challenge. So no double post and I may be delayed in getting this finished until well into next week depending on what work does to me.
Yikes! Hope your health improves soon.
NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur
NPC

Post by NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur »

deaddmwalking wrote:I actually ended up going to the hospital in an ambulance last night and was admitted from the ER to the hospital proper.
Please be well.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Sending good vibes your way, Deaddmwalking.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I hope you have a speedy recovery and that it was nothing serious.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Re: OSSR - Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Lands

Post by Iduno »

deaddmwalking wrote:The very next page is the start of the Table of Contents, and I have to admit, it?s a little overwhelming. It?s not one page, it?s not two pages, it?s not three pages ? it?s five fuckin? pages ? each 3 columns each with approximately 58 entries, so we?re talking 870 distinct entries per the table of contents. And the book has an index too (starting on page 232). It becomes very clear that it?s not uncommon for each page to have more than a dozen ?sections?. Under a category like Feats it lists every single Feat in the Table of Contents. You might think that makes everything easy to find, but I?m not so sure. Under the feats chapter, they don?t have a table with a brief description, so unless you already know what Skjaldborg is talking about, seeing it listed in the Table of Contents may not help.
They need some sort of shortened version of that document (1 page at most), with page numbers for where you can find major topics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

deaddmwalking wrote:Cold Terrains
One thing that I find frustrating is when the fiction sounds okay, but doesn’t actually work with the game rules. Our hunter fires his bow twice and drops two caribou. The book will give us stats for them – they have 22 hit points. The weapons section (which we haven’t gotten to) doesn’t list damages for arrows (but it does for bows) even though it has two different types of arrows. But assuming we were using a composite longbow from the PHB, the hunter (who’s a grandfather) deals 1d8+5 base damage, he’d have to score two critical hits in a row.
So, I realized in the middle of this that he dropped two caribou with two arrows, so, I guess one each. That is definitely, um, wow. I first thought it was one caribou with two arrows.

Which wouldn't be that unbelievable. It's lucky, sure, but it just means he deals an average of 11 damage per arrow. Sure, he's a grandfather, but by D&D rules, that could just mean he's in his 30s with a son who's above the age of 15, who has their own child who may well only be a few years old. If we take average bow damage as 4.5, that means he needs another 7 points of damage, which could come from Strength (lets say he's got a 16, which is impressive, but not outlandish), Weapon Specialization or Favored Enemy (Animals) for +2 (does it say what his class is?), and then he just needs another two damage for an average of 11.

So... let's say that a tribal hunter is some mix of ranger, rogue and fighter. It's not outlandish to say a man in his 30s that makes his living hunting is around level 5, maybe even level 6. If he were level 6, he could be a Rng1/Rog1/Ftr4, which means he could be firing arrows from stealth for 1d8+1d6+Str+4, for an average of 15 or so. If he's the strongest human who ever humaned without magic items, then he could have a 19 str, so that pushes his average damage to 19.

Which... hell. That's honestly really close to the 22 damage he'd need to drop a caribou in one shot. If we say that a village elder performs a hunting blessing before he goes out, that could boost his damage with magic weapon up to 20, and then we just need to buy he's a lucky roller and rolls just above average.

Now, is this a viable adventurer? Probably not. Tho it wouldn't be terrible as martial builds go. But he's just some guy who hunts for his village, so he doesn't need to be an adventurer.
Lions make the list, but not tigers. Is that because Lions are in the Monster Manual and tigers aren’t? I have no idea. Lions aren’t on the list for any OTHER terrain types, and Tigers aren’t on ANY either…
At a guess, it might have something to do with tigers, at least modern tigers, primarily existing below the 51st parallel, while European lions are relatively well known to have been a thing, and lived in what are now sub arctic areas. Not that this is air tight ecology/paleontology, but it explains it from a lay understanding.
Dwarves include four sub-races – a Slavic Dwarf, a Nordic Dwarf, an Eskimo Dwarf, and an Ice-Age Dwarf. I’m not sure if you’d think that they are a dwarf from that culture but it’s more what that culture thinks about fantasy dwarves – except for ice-age dwarves, obviously – they’re just someone spitballing what cave-dwarves should be like. I am not at all qualified to determine whether the cultural variations are based on real myths.

Slavic Dwarves are actually Gnomes. They’re small, they get ghost sound, they work with wood instead of stone, and they live under your stove.

You might expect that Nordic Dwarves are just Dwarves, because that’s largely where their heritage comes from, but that wouldn’t give you Ring of Nibelungen style crafting. So you lose racial bonuses against orcs/goblins, Expert is your favored class, and you get some cantrips. The book says that these Dwarves are ‘legendary smiths and enchanters of weapons and armor’. You might be wondering how an Expert picks up Forge Ring or enchants ANY weapons or armor. That seems like a really good question that this book should answer, but it doesn’t. I just don’t even know…

Eskimo Dwarves are medium-sized gnomes that live like ground hogs, and sometimes people fall into their tunnels and get hurt. Among the abilities you lose if you choose this subrace is a +4 to Appraise checks that you don’t get as a Dwarf (it might be referring to the +2 on stone or metal items). Or maybe it’s 3.0, or maybe they literally did mean them to be gnomes.
A quick google gives me two varities of slavic dwarves, patuljak and karze?ek. All I got on patuljak is that they're the opposite of giants, "tiny and intelligent." Karze?ek are close enough to typical fantasy dwarves that they can just be typical fantasy dwarves with a bit of words spilled on the fact that they'll show polite people iron ore veins, and push rude people into chasms and shit.

Nordic dwarves need the mage wright class from Eberron if they're going to have an npc class as a favored class. But it looks like Eberron was published in 2004 also, so...

Another google search shows me that Alaskan Natives had a couple of "dwarves" too, the Ijigaq and Ircinraq. The Ijigaq seem to be pretty typical "small mischievous/malevolent shapeshifters" but I can't find much specific about the Ircinraq.

Cave dwarves... should really just be tied to various cave dwelling peoples, with a veneer of dwarfishness to sorta make "stone age dwarves." But then maybe we'd be asking too much to expect that without a bunch of ignorant casual racism coming along.
Elves
Making nordic flavored elves and dwarves, and making them separate is admittedly difficult. I've done my share of trying to write nordic D&D stuff, and, yeah, traditional fantasy dwarves are based on the svartalfar, and nordic "elves" are the alfar. Alfar means "elf." I could see making nordic elves less Tolkien and more bestial, something like the elves of Lorwyn:
Image Image
An argument could be made that maybe these infringe on the identity of tieflings, but you can keep them separate if you're willing to expend the slightest bit of effort.

Slavic elves would have their most direct analogue be Leshay, and his/their children the leszonky. When I wrote up slavic elves for a fantasy setting, I drew from these nature tutelary deities/spirits and for image, went with the Lorwyn elves. So, granted, you'd need to draw a distinction between your alfar and your leszonki. Unless you're willing to accept the appearance of laziness and say that this particular take on elves functions for both culture groups, save for different cultural traditions.

I don't even know where to begin with Alaskan Native inspired elves, because they'd be drawing from exactly the same myths as dwarves, because.... when it comes to actual folk lore, "little people" are "little people." Hell, the only way we wound up with typical fantasy dwarves and elves is Tolkien pulling from nordic myth to make dwarves and celtic myth to make elves. The best you could do would be to maybe take the core idea of selkies, and make your Alaskan Native inspired elves a race that lives on the ice floes and in dens dug into snow drifts hunting seals with harpoon bows and frequently clad in enchanted seal pelts that help them weather the cold and maybe give them mild shapeshifting abilities.

Ice age elves... again, iunno. I'd tie them to living with dire wolves in taigas.

Fuck if I know what to do with gnomes, halflings, and orcs.

With classes... I'm personally offended that Psychic Warriors aren't "appropriate" to Nordic or Slavic settings. Not because I have a hard on for the class, but just because it's so easy to fluff psychic warriors as rune warriors for nordic games and something along those lines for slavic. But on the whole, I think anyone who can't figure out how to fit the base classes into pretty much any Real World Culture based setting is lazy, unimaginative, or both. You can always introduce variants that draw on actual culture myths/traditions and fit better, but you should be able to make even ice age wizards a thing. Instead of spellbooks, they get bone staves inscribed with images. Spill some words on number of inches of inscription per spell level, and you're fine.

It's a bit hard to remember which PrCs were in the 3.0 DMG, but... assassin would be fine, tho, as always, it really should get a once over on the requirements. Arcane Archer... it's just an archer with some magic. If you have spellcasters and people with bows, it works fine. Blackguard... ok, I could see that one being a hard fit, but that's more because the class itself is just such a fucking mishmash. Dwarven Defender... well, if you've got dwarves, this can fit. Because it's literally just a dwarf who stands there and is hard to move. Loremaster is a weird class that might as well not even exist, but... if you have people and they need to know things... there's no reason this class wouldn't fit your setting. Shadowdancers? It's just a rogue with shadow magic. Like... this isn't even "you're lazy, unimaginative, or both," this is just "you're so lazy that you don't even want to say 'the DMG prestige classes are so generic that they're hard to not fit into any given setting."
Last edited by Prak on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The next section is equipment, but I’m not doing it.

We’re going to actually do classes. This means skipping ahead to the last four chapters of the book (the Culture Chapters). Each Culture starts with a some base classes and then has some prestige classes. Organizationally, it’s a strange choice. In the Magic Item chapter the various items are divided by appropriate culture (ie, there’s a section or Slavic magic items) so you’d think they’d be appropriate in the Culture section with all the other specifically Slavic stuff, that’s not what they did. All the monsters are lumped together – they’re not divided by section. In any case, there isn’t even much of an overview. But rather than bemoan what isn’t here, let’s look at what is.

Norse Classes
You might think that you’re going to get 13 classes and they’re all warriors – this is one of those times where I’m pleasantly surprised.

The base classes provided are the Godi (a 3/4 Base Attack Full-Caster), the Vitki (a 1/2 Base Attack Full-Caster) and the Voelva (another 3/4 Base Attack Full Caster). Since most of the martial classes are deemed appropriate for a Norse campaign, I’m glad they’re not doing a lot of martial base classes. So let’s look at the full casters, shall we?

Godi
This is very much a replacement cleric, but not one that anyone will ever take. You lose class features of the cleric like armor proficiency and turn undead. You get three domains (instead of 2) but still only one domain s
pell per spell level. The kicker is, you have a severely restricted spell list. The spells are focused on buffs/debuffs and don’t include any healing at all.
This is a concept that people like enough to cosplay as, but not if they’re going to have 3 ft of sharpened steel thrust through their gut

Now I get that a historical fantasy game struggles with things like resurrection, but you can’t just strip magical healing from the game and expect it to work. If hit points are primarily ‘luck’ which kinda makes sense if you suffer no ill effects until you’re out of them, then allowing magical healing isn’t really as genre-breaking as it might seem. Now, the book references a ‘leech’ in the Godi class description as someone who can actually treat wounds, but there’s no Leech class or Prestige Class, and nothing in the Heal skill which expands the way healing works. It’s pretty brutal.
You’ll be stone dead in a moment

Basically, you can’t pretend that the game functions in remotely the same way when you make a major change to hit point recovery mechanics. But when you get 6th level spells you can cast Planar Ally and have an Astra Deva cast Cure Light Wounds up to 7 times per day.
Let’s be serious – the only angels you’re going to see are the ones escorting you to Valhalla

Vitki
This is their version of a Rune-Caster. They get Wild Empathy (but it isn’t listed on the class table) and even though the table lists ‘Runes Known’ it appears that really means ‘Runes per Day’. What’s super-annoying about this class is that their spell list is entirely Nordic rune words. For example, the 7th level runes are: daeg-maug, hegal-maat, varaktighet. As a GM, I don’t really want to have to learn the difference between Daeg-Maug (5th level) and Deag-Maat (3rd level), but that’s where we are.

To understand the class, it’s necessary to read the rules on Runecasting. It’s not straightforward spell casting – you make a Spellcraft check to do it quickly or bad stuff happens. You can carve it into a rock or something more slowly to avoid that, but then you’re supposed to pay hit points to trigger the spell (1 per spell level) but you can probably avoid that by having enough ranks in Spellcraft. Following the ‘how-to’ on rune-casting are 8 pages of spells. Since the spells are the class abilities you have to look through them to know whether this class has anything to offer.

Nothing! Absolutely Nothing!

On the first page we have a 1st level spell that is basically charm person, a 3rd level spell that is a +2 to saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls, and an 8th level spell that gives multiple opponents -2 Dex and a -4 to attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. And since I’ve learned that ‘maat’ is good and ‘maug’ is bad, basically every rune has a buff version and a debuff version…

Since this is spellcasting, there’s stuff you could make work – you’re still better than a martial. That said, some of the choices are very questionable. There is a 7th level spell that brings a gentle rain in a 2-mile radius; the ‘bad version’ is 3rd level and lets you call down lightning bolts. So, any healing? Not really. A 3rd level spell heals removes diseases (including green slime). A 6th level spell heals 1d4+4 points of damage, removes disease, and makes you immune to poison for 12 hours.

There is no reference in the book to how the runes are written. I’ve pulled one from online and a couple of the rune spell names match, so this is probably this probably accurate. Seems like including it would have been an expectation.

Voelva
These are specialty priests of Freya (and mostly women). There’s a copy pasta error in the Game Rule Information – the first sentence says Wisdom modifies their spellcasting; all subsequent sentences reference Charisma. It’s not one of the split spell-casting attributes… If you’re going to fight with your GM about it, I say pick Wisdom; there are no Charisma saving throws.
Wisdom determines how powerful a spell a voelva can cast, how many spells the voelva can cast per day, and how hard those spells are to resist. To cast a spell, a voelva must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level. A voelva get’s bonus spells based on Charisma. The Difficult Class of a saving throw against a voelva’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the voleva’s Charisma modifier.
It might be a hard sell, though. Under the ‘spells’ special ability description, it references Charisma without reference to Wisdom. The Voelva is supposed to enter a helpless trance when casting spells, adding 1 full round per level of the spell, but you can just cast your spells without entering a trance by making a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level). Combat Casting wouldn’t apply normally but even with Skill Focus, Full ranks, and a good CON that’s not usually going to be reliable.

There’s all kinds of formatting disagreement and it’s making me cranky. They’re supposed to get Wild Empathy but it’s not on the Class Chart and no level is listed. They get an Animal Companion (as druid) at 1st level by Class Feature description, but 3rd level by Class Chart. The class features indicate they ‘resist nature’s lure’ but the chart has ‘resist nature’s lore and one says 4th level and the other says 7th level. They begin a limited form of wild-shape at 5th level or 9th level depending on which source you determine is accurate. Basically, the formatting is a mess. If you untangle it in a good way, the class doesn’t TOTALLY suck.
This is a sweater – you just have to untangle it and put it back together correctly without referring to the instructions which are actually the owner’s manual for a ’79 BMW 320i

As far as the spells, they’re primarily a much abbreviated version of the Druid list with a few new spells from this book and animate dead.

Norse Prestige Classes

Here are the names – you know what I know:
Artificer, Berserker, Glimumann, Stavmester, Jomsviking and LEECH

So I’m surprised to see Leech on this list. It sounded like it should be in this book but I didn’t find it in the Index. Why didn’t I find it in the Index? Because I looked under ‘L’ for Leech (and there is no L section). If I had known that it was a Prestige Class when I first came across it maybe then I would have realized that if I looked under ‘P’ for Prestige Classes – Leech. I did not realize. But let’s do that one last.

Artificer
This is a dwarf only 10-level class with +5 levels of spellcasting. The class table indicates that you get the bonus at odd levels (including 1st) but the text says ‘every second level gained in the artificer class’. There are some abilities that let them transform boots into a belt without losing any enchantment; they can also reduce the gold cost of increasing items significantly (+10% increase in cost instead of +100% to add two unrelated abilities). It might almost be worth it to have one as an NPC that you talk to when you want to upgrade equipment, but they also have the ability to make you pay half the XP cost. To qualify you need to be able to cast ‘seven enchantment spells, at least one of which must be 3rd level’. I don’t know why charm person is relevant – I think the author was thinking of the 2nd edition view of enchantment.

Berserker
This is a 10-level full BAB progression with good Fort and Will along with a special ability at every level. It gives you more rages per day (or gives them to you if you’re not a barbarian to start with) and the ability to cast Fear like a Sorcerer. Their 10th level capstone ability is that they can keep fighting between -1 and -10 hit points. At 16th level, you’d be hard-pressed to find an attack that can do less than 10 points of damage. This is not a good deal.
It’s not all bad – if you’re still playing as a martial character you wanted to make a new character who is a caster, anyway.

Glimumann
It’s possible to make a class too specific. I know nothing yet about this class – all of the information is on the next page, but I need for you, dear reader, to feel with me what I’m going through right now.
Glima is a martial art form practiced by the Norse. It is a wrestling style of combat that specializes in getting up close with an opponent and attempting to hurl them. Glimumenn are specialists in grabbing opponents by their sword belts and smashing them to the ground. Most deadly and effective, however, is the follow up smash to the head with a stone.
So D&D tends to struggle with martial arts. Even when it is reasonable for a 140-lb UFC fighter to take on a defeat a 600-lb sumo wrestler, things quickly fall apart when you’re fighting giants and dragons that weigh more than your house. Most of the opponents you expect to face don’t even wear belts. What then? It seems the only way to answer the questions that are threatening to drive me insane is to turn the page, but I fear that it will only seal my fate. I did not realize when I started this review – this is a Mythos tome.
It’s easy to judge a book by its cover when they go out of their way to let you know it’s evil

Actually looking at this class, it certainly attempts to be insanity inducing, but it quickly loses out to rage. So this is a 10 level full-BAB d10 HD prestige class. It combines all the worst features of a Fighter and a Monk, and that’s being charitable. First off, you qualify for an AC bonus if you don’t wear armor. This AC bonus starts at +0, increases to +1 at 5th level, and +2 at 10th level. Now, if you were a reasonable person, you’d probably just put on leather armor, and for 10 GP you’d be no worse off, but wearing armor also negates the unarmed attack bonus and unarmed attacks per round. So basically, you can’t wear armor if you take this class, you don’t get anything like Wisdom bonus to your AC and you will die. But it’s worse than that. The ‘improved unarmed damage’ starts at 1d6 and increases to 1d10 at 8th level. You might not realize this, but alternatively you could be using a greataxe and do 1d12 with x3 on a critical and get 2x Strength. But what about ‘extra unarmed attacks’? Surely that makes it all worth it, right? No. No it does not.

Once again, the chart for the class is borked. The table lists an unarmed attack bonus of +6 at 1st level; +1 at 2nd level, +2 at 3rd, +3 at 4th, +3 at 5th, +4/+1 at 6th, +5/+2 at 7th, +6/+3 at 8th, +6/+3 at 9th, and +7/+4/+1 at 10th. What does that even mean? If that’s a 3/4 progression with a typo at 1st (should be +0) it would check out. But why the ‘secondary attack’ at 6th level when you only have a +4? This is the part that’s trying to drive me insane, but I won’t let it!.

Moving on – you might want to take this class and forget about the unarmed attack bonuses and AC bonus and just keep wearing heavy armor and wielding a giant weapon because the save progression is really weird. At 10th level, your save bonuses are +6/+6/+5. That’s almost 3 good saves. The progression is like no other class… All the rest of the abilities are feats that you COULD have gotten at a much earlier level (like Improved Trip as a bonus feat at 6th) and most of the feats you get are new in this book which does not inspire me with confidence. The capstone ability is that when an enemy is prone (not helpless) you can attempt a coup de grace with a bludgeoning weapon. Nothing about that appears to prevent you from provoking an AoO but I could see a Luchadore style campaign where everyone is trying to knock your opponents prone so the Glimumann can bash their head in with a steel chair while the ref looks elsewhere.
This counts as a coup de grace now

Stavemester
So I know you’re thinking that surely this means ‘stave master’ and it’s someone who fights with a staff. Maybe even in a badass way like the classic fight between Robin Hood and Little John that involves using the staff for offense, defense, trips, disarms and more. You’d be wrong. This class is based off of various levels of Norse society, so you end your progression as ‘konge’ or ‘king’, but you don’t get any king stuff for it. It’s more like ‘black belt’ in that you’re the king of a dumb martial art style. How dumb? Over 10 levels you get 5 Weapon Focus Feats in different weapons. At 9th level you get Improved Unarmed Combat so you don’t even use the weapons that you’ve used. Like the Glimumann it has an ‘almost good’ Will save, and it has the same AC bonus progression, but that’s not listed as something you actually get. I should mention the other five feats you get are from this book, but they’re…not great. For example, at 2nd level, while wielding a club, you can make an opposed wisdom check, and if you succeed, you get a +1 Dodge bonus against your opponent. If you strike your opponent with your next attack they’re dazed (no save), but the triggering conditions for getting your Dodge bonus aren’t clear. The flavor text indicates you ‘withdraw from your opponent’ but the benefit doesn’t say that. For the sake of clarity, here’s what it says…
Trel [General
You withdraw from an attack until the attacker offers an opening that you can use to disable your attacker.
Prerequisite Weapon Focus (club), Dex 13+
Benefits While wielding a club, you receive a +1 dodge bonus to your Armor Class on a successful opposed Wisdom check. If you successfully strike your opponent on your next attack, he is automatically dazed for one round.

In any case, if there was EVER a time that people thought that Weapon Focus was a good feat, you still don’t REALLY benefit from having Weapon Focus in five different weapons because you can’t use them all at the same time.

Jomsviking
So when you say Viking, they say Jomsviking. They’re mercenary Vikings who are badass. And you’d be right to wonder why making normal non-professional Vikings Warriors (NPC class) and professional Vikings Fighters (PC Class) would adequately represent the difference. But Fighters suck. Knowing that you have to have a BAB of +5 or better, be male, be between the ages of 18-50 and must be lawful, if you had made the poor life decision of being a Fighter, would this be better? I’d say they do. You keep your BAB progression, you keep your HD (d10), you get 4+ skill points per level including Tumble and two Knowledge skills as class skills. You have a code that might make it hard to be a PC (don’t leave camp for more than 3 days), but assuming that you were able to get around that, the abilities are mostly specific bonus feats (but you get one per level) and a few of the abilities are actually good. At first level you get Aura of Courage – immune to fear (magical or otherwise) and allies get a +4 morale bonus on saves against fear. That’s better than another level of Fighter for sure. The specific bonus feats you get are basically all trash from this book. One of them is called Shield Wall, but that one isn’t actually IN the book – I’m guessing they renamed it Skjaldborg when they finally got their Nordic-English dictionary in the mail. There’s one Feat that might be okay – it doesn’t say it takes an action to activate – and it makes people within 10’ of you shaken. That’s at 6th level, so you’re an 11th level character and can’t contribute outside of combat, but it is something that a Fighter wouldn’t be able to do.
I had a character that was a lot like this – I used the mini above – but I didn’t have this prestige class

Leech
Although the leech is not a spellcaster, he is the only healing available in a Nordic campaign, which makes leeches exceptionally important.
Oh boy. So right off the bat, this is a prestige class. This is not available for 1st level characters. In fact, you have to have 10 ranks in the Heal skill, so this is an 8th level character minimum. Over 10 levels they get 5 levels of ‘herbs’, and 0-level herbs are called ‘spices’. So the herbs are all spells – you can’t just use an herb because you find one. You have to be a leech, you have to cast the herb while using the herb that you found. There’s a 1st level herb that gives 1d4 temporary hit points and there’s a 1st level herb that actually cures 1d8 temporary hit points. I don’t think your game is going to get to a place where the Leech can start adding magical healing without a whole lot of other changes in assumptions, but some of the things the leech can do are overtly magical (like regenerating severed limbs). Personally, I think that using the herbs to simulate clerical healing for anyone with an herbalist skill would be worthwhile… But I didn’t write this book, I’m just reading it.

Next time we’re going to look at the classes in the Eskimo Chapter book (we’re skipping the Norse culture stuff on Gods and campaign hooks, but after the classes and associated mechanics (runes, herbs) it’s 3 pages and not much detail.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Glad you're okay, man.

I remember liking https://www.amazon.com/Vikings-Campaign ... 1560761288 when I was a youngin'. If you're bored, you might check if the rune rules are similar (they sound similar in that the runes aren't very good.)
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

deaddmwalking wrote:Godi
This is very much a replacement cleric, but not one that anyone will ever take. You lose class features of the cleric like armor proficiency and turn undead. You get three domains (instead of 2) but still only one domain spell per spell level. The kicker is, you have a severely restricted spell list. The spells are focused on buffs/debuffs and don’t include any healing at all.
:confused:
Who needs armor or healing when you have cleric buffs and domain spells? That's really the only part I care about when I play clerics. Well... the armor is missed, honestly.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:Godi
This is very much a replacement cleric, but not one that anyone will ever take. You lose class features of the cleric like armor proficiency and turn undead. You get three domains (instead of 2) but still only one domain spell per spell level. The kicker is, you have a severely restricted spell list. The spells are focused on buffs/debuffs and don’t include any healing at all.
:confused:
Who needs armor or healing when you have cleric buffs and domain spells? That's really the only part I care about when I play clerics. Well... the armor is missed, honestly.
I'd need to see the full spell list before I concluded it was a better choice than vanilla Cleric.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

"Better" is not nearly the same as "not one anyone will ever take". Of course it's worse than a regular cleric.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Eskimo Classes

The chapter on Eskimo culture includes a sidebar that talks a little about using an extant culture in the game.
A Note About Realism
There are many more Eskimo tribes than are listed here. There are still thousands of people who belong to these tribes living today. The tribes presented here are a gross oversimplification to adapt them more easily to game purposes. No disrespect is intended towards these people, their culture, or their beliefs.
I think such a sidebar is the absolute minimum you have to do when portraying a real-world culture. Overall, I think the author does have a lot of respect for the various Native Cultures of the Artic and I think it comes through in the writing. The actual cultural descriptions are virtually non-existent so it doesn’t appear to have fallen into the trap of perpetuating any negative stereotypes the way some other books on historical cultures have done.

The classes presented include 1 base class (a 3/4 BAB full-caster with domain spells) and three non-casting prestige classes.

Angakoq
This is a class that I think you could potentially play even in a game that has clerics and druids. It has a d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, Good Fort & Will, spells up to 9th level, and a ‘special feature’ at every level. It’s basically a cleric/druid hybrid with a restricted spell-list. The special abilities include Astral Projection (at 20th level), speak with animals, speak with dead, wild empathy, familiar, some weather/hunting abilities, and some healing abilities like remove disease 1/week. The familiar gains the ‘ghost’ template – there isn’t one of those in the book, so I assume they mean the 3.0 MM version. Having a ghost raven or a ghost killer whale at first level allows for some shenanigans.
The thing I needed in my D&D game and never realized

You use the lower value between the creature and the master for Hit Dice, Hit Points, Attacks, Saving Throws and Skills but at 1st level nothing can hurt your Spiritual Shamu. They also get a ‘lay on hands’ style healing ability and all the cure spells on their spell list. The spirits look like they offer all the basic domains (three different ones offer Trickery). Not having played it, I feel like this is a pretty good class – it’s not a cleric or a druid, but it fits somewhere in the middle and seems to do the things the class is supposed to do. I’d certainly consider it comparable to a Wu-Jen – an okay class that suffers from not having expansion material but certainly playable as written. There is a requirement that you can only begin this class at first level, but you can multi-class freely after that. I only bring it up because if you want to take the class at higher levels, they want you to emulate it via prestige class instead.

Angatkungaruk
This is a prestige class that gets some of the talking with nature/dead of the Angakoq base class. The class requires that you can cast 1st level divine spells, so you can enter the class as early as 2nd level. It doesn’t advance spell-casting. The class description for the Angakoq neglects to mention what level you gain speak with dead, but using this class you could get access to speak with animals, procure game and the lay on hands style ability earlier than if you took the base class. None of that seems worthwhile in the grand scheme of things – this isn’t a class that would make sense to adopt if you were a martial character or a spellcasting class. Basically it does what it says it does, but there’s nobody that would benefit from changing their class progression to this.
I see the appeal of saying you can speak to dead people, but you shouldn’t have to set your character on fire to do it

Ibrukok
This is sort of the other face of the coin of the Angatkungaruk.
Sorta like that

You get some of the Angakoq’s weather abilities and some divination powers, but no spell-casting. Like the Angatkungaruk you can qualify for the class at 2nd level. You get to cast control weather 1/week at 4th level (so as early as 5th level for all your classes which is significantly before you normally get that (it’s a 7th level spell). If you wanted a plausible way to give that spell to low-level characters, you could go this route but I can’t really imagine a situation where that’s better than having a magic item and the Use Magic Device skill.

Haldawit
This prestige class requires you attain at least 5th level in another class before you can start taking it (requires 8 ranks in survival and 3rd level spells). It does not advance your spellcasting. The class basically gives you an Eskimo flavored voodoo doll (called a Curse Box) that lets you apply curses to a target. At 5th level you can use it to cast slay living. Each curse box requires a craft check DC 30, so it’s not even a sure way to try to kill people from far away. The fluff says you need nail trimmings or something from your intended target, so it really doesn’t work for a PC. If you think this class exists, you should make sure that all your nail and hair trimmings get burned in a fire.
ImageOr don’t cut them at all!

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Slavic Races

So you know how it’s not a good thing to take real world races and then say something like ‘this group of people is smarter than average’ or ‘this group of people is weaker than average’? This chapter doesn’t do that. But they really do want humans that have a +2/-2 so their answer is not that there is a culturally homogenous group of people with a +2 Str/-2 Wis, but instead that some people within the culture are just born different. This chapter has three ‘fantasy races’ that are variant humans – the Large sized Bogatyr (champions) with +2 Str/-2 Wis, the Blessed with +2 Cha/-2Wis and a spell-like ability, and the Triglaz who has 3 eyes and two noses with +2 Wis/-2 Chr. Since I’ve seen it handled so much worse credit where credit is due.
Some people lean in to hurtful stereotypes hard

Slavic Culture
After the Races section, the Slavic Culture chapter has three base classes: Cossack, Koldun, and Volkhov, and five prestige classes: Bogatyr, Skomorokh, Vedma, Vorozhei, and Znakhar.
This book does want you to know that the land is harsh and Slavic lore is full of things that are just like what you face but bigger and scarier

Cossack
This is a 20-level full base attack class with good Fort and Reflex saves. The idea is that it’s a mounted warrior and taking levels in this class make your mount better (faster, able to take additional attacks). You get a bunch of feats related to mounted combat and at 19th level you get ‘Behead’ as a bonus feat. When you roll a critical hit, if you roll an additional 20 after confirming, you behead the target. I could see people wanting that feat, but not waiting until 19th level. You can qualify for the feat as early as 4th. The whole class has a problem with abilities just not being cool at the level you get it. At 7th level you can summon your mount if it is within 100’. I know people have talked before about how creating an ability ruins not having the ability. I would have imagined that I could summon a horse within 100’ (at least if they could hear and or see me) without an ability. Summoning a mount from hundreds of miles away might be cool (I remember being impressed by Shadowfax back in the day) but within spitting distance?*
*technically spitting distance is only 93 feet 6.5 inches.
Beheading people is cool, but I don’t know that it’s enough of a concept to build an entire class around

Koldun
This class is seriously described as ‘twisted arcane spell casters who rely on their fearsome reputations to bully the peasantry into allowing them to have the best seat at weddings’. The koldun is a sorcerer (CHA based casting) with wildshape. The spell list is extremely limited but it has planar binding and planar ally, so you can play Angel Summoner (or more appropriately Demon Summoner) and you get a fiendish familiar. You could almost enjoy being a wizard with few spells to consider and having the ability to turn into an animal, but they have a super-sucky limitation. Let’s say you take 9 points of damage – you lose your highest prepared spell no matter what. In fact, each time you take any damage that is more than your highest level spell, you lose a spell. So, if you have a 9th level spell prepared and take 8 damage, nothing happens. The class doesn’t give you abilities that stop you from taking damage, so you’re never going to cast your spells. In which case, you can still be a bear, but why not go druid?
Why turn into an animal if you’re afraid of getting into melee?

Of course, the answer to that is ‘druids are not appropriate to a Slavic campaign’, but for that answer to work you have to have a selling point for why players WANT to give up ultimate power to be an evil wizard that sits up front at weddings.

Volkhov
Way earlier in talking about classes for the various cultural campaigns, the book said that the Volkhov replaces the Druid and Cleric in the Slavic campaign. Honestly, this class might as well be a cleric – you don’t wear armor, get the worst weapons, but you still have 3/4 BAB, domain spells, and at 4th level you get Resist Nature’s Lure. The spell list is a cleric’s greatest hits with Summon Nature’s Ally. And you still get domains. So even though it doesn’t have the infinite power-up that is the cleric’s access to every published spell, you’re still winning D&D with this class.

Prestige Classes

Bogatyr
Attentive readers might recall that the Bogatyr is also a race – you can be a champion as either a race or a prestige class – in fact, you could actually be both. Of course, you wouldn’t do that. The point of the prestige class is to grow to be a big character. The actual mechanics are even worse than that – growth is measured as a percent of your existing height. At 10th level in this class you have obtained 150% of your original height and get a +2 to Strength.

Skomorokh
What if Yakov Smirnoff was a class?
Okay Yakov Smirnoff plus bear training

You can qualify for the prestige class at 5th level, and you get a bear companion right away. I have trouble imagining laughing at someone with a bear standing behind him. Besides the bear, you get some bardic type performance effects that duplicate spells.

Vedma
I’m not saying that this class perpetuates negative stereotypes, but to qualify you have to be an old evil woman and it calls you a ‘witch’. This is a rarity among the prestige classes in this book – it requires spell casting and it advances spellcasting. It’s one every odd level. You get wildshape, poison use (eventually) and some curses.

Vorozhei
This is another caster prestige class that advances your casting at odd levels. It lets you turn a non-magical crystal ball into a crystal ball and cast the types of spells you could using a crystal ball. Is that worth a 10-level prestige class?
My crystal ball says no

Znakhar
This is the last prestige class and is like the last two in that it requires you have 3rd level spells and advances your spellcasting at odd levels. This one is built around having ‘message’ and ‘dream’ abilities. Whatever spellcasting class got you into this prestige class is already better than what you’re getting so you won’t see this.

General Thoughts on Slavic Classes
In the beginning of the culture section, it sounded like they were going to really emphasize black-powder weapons. None of the classes have features that appear to make firearms a viable life choice. Good firearm rules are hard – if guns are too good than people won’t use swords – but people who like fantasy games often WANT to swing a sword. I’m disappointed that they didn’t try harder to make it viable.