better armor save, penetration, modifier system for warham?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I like that the markers don't persist. Not sure if weapons should apply damage to a unit in that way. For example, is a las cannon able to eliminate a 40-model unit in 4 hits?
-This space intentionally left blank
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It's Mordheim Necromunda individual scale, so the hit markers are accrued by single models.

Area suppression with a heavy machine gun that trigger's on characters moving through that suppression zone could give the firer free out of turn lower accuracy shots.

Though that reminds me that... an anti-tank laser and a pistol both successfully wounding and bypassing the armor save of an space ork only accruing one hit marker can feel bad. So "Strength = Toughness of target (s3+1d6 roll vs T7 is equivalent to 40k's s3 vs t3, so s7+1d6 vs t7 is equal to s6 vs t3), deal 3 hit markers"

-------------

I like the "more accuracy gives you net hits for more damage" aspect of Warp Cult: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=72842

Thinking about how to implement that in the simplest way for a 1d6 roll.

A) Exploding 6 to hit grants you 1 (even if a multi shot weapon) extra attack roll.
B) Exploding 6 to wound (what DeadmanWalking already suggests) gives an extra wound roll

Another option is keeping that out of core mechanics and leaving it as traits/feats to customize dudes with.

There's also adding in a points/Feats or card stratagem system for critical/fumble/supreme skill situations. More skirmish games are doing this.

Kill Team has Command Points & Stratagems to spend them on, enhanced defense or offense, rerolls and so on. A good place for 'lucky critical' 'terrible fumble' but as a player choice. It also adds to that 'grit realism potentially this police pistol could one-shot-cripple the Umbrella Special Forces Tyrant with stratagems"
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat May 23, 2020 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Been thinking of reactive actions to getting shot at...

In some editions of warhams you take a leadership test to see if a unit gets pinned by certain weapons, then you get a cover bonus for other shots.

In after Sundown there’s ‘dive for cover’ where you make a dodge roll as a reaction to getting shot at and if you beat their initiative you make it to cover and get that bonus.

There should be a penalty to getting cover as a reaction otherwise you do it every time, so I figure some kind of morale test once that model’s turn is around or they stay hiding