Warhammer 9th Edition is out

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

buddy bradley
NPC

Warhammer 9th Edition is out

Post by buddy bradley »

Or kind of out, but out soon for the masses. Not many rules changes from 8th edition (still suffers from I go you go, but really, who cares? The models are great).

If we compare the main games from the different formats (Magic, DnD, Warhammer 40k), I'd say Warhammer is still on top. I just like the ridiculousness of it, it's Mad Max mixed with 2000AD, and it's just fun as hell.
Last edited by buddy bradley on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Given 8Ed was the worst edition so far, I can't imagine this going well. Indeed, some of the changes already shown are even worse than that.

They said they'd make morale matter more and... not really. It's more time consuming to resolve, but not more interesting. And you can end up with a status effect where you take -1 to your attack rolls (which is big on a d6 but we're still not talking about "forcing units to move towards cover/their own deployment zone" or "you can't move this turn" or whatever).

Blast weapons (they added a new keyword for this, why can't we go back to the old ways of weapons having common rules all as keywords, ala Gets Hot, Ignores Cover, Pinning, Rending, Poison?) now make more reliable numbers of attacks against large units (6-10 models: minimum roll of 3 on any d6 for number of attacks; 11+ models: maximum number of attacks). But people didn't want to take large units before, what makes you think they're going to do that now? And you still can't actually affect more than one unit at a time with your Baneblade cannon.

Here's the correct way to fix overwatch: in the Shooting Phase, you may shoot OR enter overwatch mode. You cannot do both. If something would prevent you from shooting, you also cannot enter overwatch mode. If you can't fire a specific weapon, you also can't fire that in overwatch. (Probably also specify that you can't run + overwatch, even with Assault weapons, maybe allow you to fire overwatch at units that merely enter the weapon range + LoS rather than specifically charging?)
Here's how they did it: Tau work exactly the same as they used to. Everyone else has to use a stratagem to do it - meaning you spend a Command Point and only one unit per turn is able to do it. Presumably there will be a Space Marine Chapter that gets to do it without limit like the Tau, then maybe an Eldar Craftworld will get the same deal.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

As an aside, looking online, there's like 4 models from old 40k (that is, just before 3rd ed when I started) you can still buy (Azrael, Ezekiel, Missionary and Preacher). Though some models like the Chimera or SM bikers are almost, but not quite, exactly the same.

(And there's 3 Skaven models).

Half of those are currently not available, at least where I live anyway.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Are you sure there aren't individual inquisitors, death cultists and crusaders still available? If you had checked this ~6 months ago you could have added the entire Sisters of Battle range (except for Saint Celestine) to that list. But they suddenly have received a whole array of new models, which covers "things that already existed, oh also two new special characters and a statue and two of the units now have alternate things you can assemble them as" (death cultists and crusaders are still ancient but I can't even remember if they're actually on the SoB list or if they're Inquisition-only).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Crusaders and Death Cultists were introduced with the Witchhunters Codex, so old, but not that old. Likewise the currently available old Inquisitors. Also, Death Cultists are the same sculpt, but now in resin, there's a lot of models like that.

Speaking of Witch Hunters, it also introduced a lot of the old metal sister range, they didn't have Repentia or Penitent engines or even storm bolter armed sisters in 2nd ed. Also, they updated the canoness (the newer one had different hand options), and the rhino (and thus the immolator, there were a few versions of that). But, yeah, the basic sisters and superiors and seraphim and most heavy/special weapons were the same old models from 20 odd years ago.

Having said that, they did sell made to order old valhallans a little while back, might see more of that in the future.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

I've heard that Tyranids aren't getting any better in 9th, but if you want to build a Tyranid army on the cheap, I know a guy who could help you out a bit: https://cults3d.com/en/users/Foxwarrior/creations