[Let's Play] Storytrails 4: The Haunters of Marsh Hall

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The stairs had not been used for a long time. Dirt lay thick on the bare wooden treads and my feet left clear prints. Those were not the only marks in the dust. There were clean patches on the edges of some of the stairs and dozens of tiny footprints—rats.
As I took the next step, the edge of the tread crumbled away under my foot. The timber was rotten with woodworm. Now I knew why the staircase wasn't used. There was little doubt that it was dangerous!
I shone my torch up and down the stairs. I had come more than half way. It could be safer to go on than to go back down. If I kept to the side, there might be less chance of the stairs giving under my weight.
There were just six more steps to go. Even though I had been expecting it, I couldn't stop it when it did happen. I felt the tread give under my foot. I tried to grab at the wall, but my leg twisted under me and I was thrown forward. The torch jerked out of my hand and skidded across the landing above me. It was still on, but pointed into a corner, leaving me almost in darkness.
I tried to get up, but my foot was stuck. I moved my position slightly and tried again. As I did so, there was a shrill squeak, followed by another, and another. Something furry ran over my hand. My foot was caught in a rats' nest!
The squeaking and scampering went on and I could feel the rats running over my trapped ankle. I wasn't going to spend the night with rats running over me! I started to tear at the rotten wood to make the hole bigger. Twice, I touched warm fur, but that wasn't going to stop me!
Now, I could move my leg further and twist my foot around. I braced myself against the wall and tried again. My foot came free!
My leg was stiff and sore, but nothing worse. Luckily, I had not been bitten. I picked up the torch. The light caught several pairs of tiny red eyes shining in the darkness, and then they were gone.
There was another flight of stairs, and a door. I hobbled to the door, and opened it.
I was in what looked like a very wide corridor with windows along the whole of one side, windows which must have overlooked the courtyard. I found some light switches and pressed them down. I was standing in a picture gallery.
I hadn't come to look at pictures, but the one which was nearest to me had caught my eye. It was an almost life-size portrait of a young man on a horse. Beneath it was the name 'Jasper Vane Markus.'
As I had truthfully told Crabtree, I could hardly remember my uncle Jasper. The portrait must have been painted before his riding accident and years before I had met him. I wondered whether there was a painting of him as an older man.
I walked slowly among the gallery. I didn't recognize the names and faces, though I supposed that these were past owners of Marsh Hall and their families. There were no other paintings of my uncle, but there was one other portrait which had something about it that made me stop and stare for some minutes.
It was of a man, dressed in a long black robe. There was white lace at the neck and cuffs and he wore a wide, flat cap of black velvet. The painting was yellowed and dark with age, but the face stood out, pale and sad, with grey eyes which had the trick of following you as you moved.
I had spent so much time looking at the pictures that I hadn't looked at anything else in the gallery. There was very little else to see. There were a few bits of furniture and the floor was bare except for a strip of carpet which ran right down the center. I could see some marks on the floor near the edge of the carpet. They were lines in the dust, as if something being pushed or pulled along the carpet had kept going off the edge. I remembered the squeaking sound. I couldn't hear it now. There was no means of telling what had made the marks.
There was nothing else. At the far end of the gallery there was only the servant's staircase, so all I could do now was to return to the hall.
I knew that the library was next to the morning room because, when I had come downstairs after changing out of my wet clothes, I had seen the rows of bookshelves through the open door. The door was no longer open.
I was reaching out to try the doorhandle when a slight sound at the top of the stairs made me turn about. Something was moving in the shadows, moving towards the top of the stairs. At any moment, it would come into the light.
I froze to the spot! Seated in a wheel chair was the small, bent figure of an old man, an old man who I knew was dead!
My mouth was dry, but I managed to speak the name.
'Uncle Jasper?'
The chair had stopped at the top of the stairs. The figure neither spoke nor moved. I found enough of my voice to manage a shout.
'If this is a joke, then I don't find it very funny. I warn you that I'm armed. Now, answer me!'
There was no reply. I was half frightened, half angry. I started up the stairs, gun in hand. I was half way up when the lights failed yet again. I tripped and the gun went off. Before I was properly on my feet, I heard the chair bumping down the stairs towards me. I flung myself against the handrail. I heard it go past, reach the bottom of the stairs, then a crash. It must have hit the wall opposite.
I fumbled for my torch, but the lights came back on. The chair was turned on its side and lying by the library door. There was no old man, either in it or near it. I looked up the stairs. The landing was quite empty —no uncle Jasper, no body, nothing!
My anger had gone. I was just frightened. I was remembering Crabtree's words to me, 'There's only one word to describe Marsh Hall —"evil".'
I walked down the stairs and across the hall to where the chair was lying. One wheel was still spinning slowly, making a slight squeak on each turn.
My hands were shaking. I needed a quiet moment, just to collect my thoughts. I went into the morning room.
There were only two possibilities. Either Marsh Hall was the most haunted house in England, or someone was trying very hard to scare me off. If it really was haunted, then the best thing I could do was to leave the moment it was light enough to see my way back across the marsh. If someone was playing tricks, then I had no chance of finding them by just staying where I was.
I had been going to wait until daylight to do my exploring, but I decided to do it now. It could be no worse than sitting waiting to be scared out of my wits. I knew that the house was built round a courtyard. I had seen something of the part of the house that I was in, but nothing of the rest.
It was on the opposite side of the courtyard that I found what seemed to be the oldest part of the house. The dirt and cobwebs told their own story of years of neglect. I looked into several of the rooms. The dark wood panelling, the timbered ceilings and the great stone fireplace were still there, but little else. Two rooms had floors missing. A few contained broken furniture, but there was nothing to suggest that anyone had been here for a very long time.
I had been walking in thick dust, but as I turned my torch down to the floor, I saw that the place I was in now had been swept. I tried to picture the outside of the house and decided that I must be somewhere near to the tower. I was wondering why it was swept and what it was used for when my torch lighted on the answer, a lift! I should have asked myself before how my uncle got up and down the stairs in a wheel chair.
I opened the outer doors of the lift and had only partly opened the inner ones when something fell on top of me, knocking me to the ground. I was sure it was a body! I pulled myself from underneath it and examined it with my torch. It was what I had seen in the wheel chair at the top of the stairs, but it wasn't a body! It was a tailor's dummy! I didn't think that ghosts used tailor's dummies.
There were five buttons in the lift marked Basement, Ground, First, Second and Third. I had only to decide whether to try up, or down.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Try down. Old man Jenkins tried to ambush us from the second floor and likely ran down to the basement through the servant's passage.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I vote to search the upper storeys for poetentially useful stuff before going down to hunt for the boss monster/ghost/disguised Scooby Doo cartoon villain in the dungeon/crypt.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If there's no tiebreaker, then I'm fine with starting search from the basement.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I understand if Darth may be too busy to update this for person reasons, but I just want to make sure the reason for the delay is not that he didn't notice my last post's attempt to remove the tie in votes. If that's not the case, then take your time. :)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sorry, I was initially just waiting on a tiebreaker, then the Den went down for a couple of days, and then I totally had a burnout again. I'll finish this up:
The lift stopped with a slight bump. I opened the inner doors of the lift, expecting to find another pair of wooden doors like the ones on the floor above. Instead, there was a folding metal grill. The cellar was in complete darkness but, by shining the torch through the grill, I could see something of what lay on the other side.
There wasn't too much to see. Opposite the lift was a wall which seemed to be part of a passage running off in two directions. I slid the grill open. It moved easily and silently and the smear of fresh grease that it left on my hand told me that the cellars were used for something.
I left the doors open. I wasn't sure that there was any other way out and I didn't want to find myself stuck down there. Apart from being dark, the cellar was icy cold and had that dank smell of dark, airless places.
I flashed the torch around me. One thing that the cellars had been used for was storing old junk. There were heaps of old bits and pieces lying against the walls of the passage. They had been there a long time, the most modern thing that I could see was a 'penny-farthing' bicycle!
I couldn't see too far down the passage in either direction. The light from the torch seemed to be swallowed in the blackness. I could make out what looked like doorways which must lead to side rooms of the passage.
I looked at the floor to see whether that might give me any clues. Leading from the lift and going off to the right, were two parallel lines. They were wheel marks, and I was sure I knew what from! It was the wheel chair that had just missed me on the staircase not many minutes before!
There was nothing in the other direction except for a dark stain on the floor. I shone the torch further down the passage. I picked out another stain like the first and another beyond that. It looked very like blood!
Which should I follow, the bloodstains, or the wheel marks?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I feel like the game is jerking me around a bit. I guess 0.5 vote to follow wheel marks to avoid the torture chamber (but following bloodstains to get a weapon is a decent second guess.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I still say go for the potential spookier looking option, even though Halloween is over.

Bloodstains.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I don't say anything to chose between them, TBH, but thought I'd mention I'm still reading along.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

1 vs 1/2 means that the bloodstains win.
Some of what I had thought were just doors of the passage were, in fact, other passages. I wasn't too worried about getting lost, since I was still following the trail of blood. I only had to follow it back again and I knew it would take me to the lift.
I had completely lost my sense of direction, but I could see that I must be under one of the oldest parts of the house. There was a white fungus growing on the walls and the stone was beginning to crumble in places. It was getting quite wet underfoot.
The trail that I was following suddenly sopped. There was nothing near me except for a pile of rubbish. I think that I had been expecting to find a body, but there was no body there. There was something else, however—a large and very rusty paint tin. I only had to look at the reddish brown streaks of paint down the side of it to know what I had been following!
After all the terrors of the night, I found myself laughing aloud. I stepped back from the pile of rubbish. As I did so, my foot skidded on one of the wet patches on the floor and I felt myself falling. I grabbed at the wall. My fingers closed tight around one of the bits of rough stone, and then the stone began to move! I landed on the floor with the stone still clutched in my hand.
The torch was still in my other hand and pointed at the roof of the passage. It was moving!
I rolled over to the side of the passage and covered my head with my arms. There was a roaring sound and I felt something strike my leg and my side.
In a second, it was over. I didn't think that I was hurt but, for several moments, there was nothing I could do but lie there, coughing and spluttering in the thick cloud of dust. When I did get to my feet, it was to find that a stretch of the passage had completely collapsed. I had been lucky. Where I had been lying, only a part of the roof had come down. In the direction I had come from, the whole passage seemed to be blocked with earth and rubble.
I could either try to clear a way through the rubble, or go on.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

go on
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'd like to try clearing a way, but count mine as half a vote if there's no tiebreaker.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Another 1 vs. 1/2.
The cellars were like a rabbit warren. Now I had lost the marks I had been following and I wasn't sure at all how to get back to the lift. The only thing I was sure of was that someone had been in this part fo the cellars quite recently. All the rubbish had been stacked very neatly against the walls, it wasn't possible to tell why. Maybe they had been sorting through the rubbish looking for something, or perhaps they had just wanted to clear a way through to another part of the cellars.
I shone my torch farther down the passage. It looked to have been cleared in the same way for as far as I could see. The beam of light also picked out a pile of boxes. They stood out from the rest of the junk because they looked quite new. I went to take a closer look.
They were stout, cardboard cases, all with the name of the same manufacturer. The rest of the labelling told me nothing except that they had all contained some kind of electronic equipment. The odd thing was that there were about a dozen of them, of different sizes, yet, apart from the lights, I had seen almost nothing electrical in the house, not even a radio.
The fact that the boxes were there and the passage had been cleared suggested that the answer might lie somewhere farther along the passage. I was still thinking about it when a loud clatter made me jump. I swung the torch around, but there was nothing to see. It didn't sound too far away and came from the same direction that I had just come from.
It was the noise of something falling. I could very easily have caught something as I had squeezed past the heaps of rubbish, and moved it just enough for it to have toppled over. It was either that, or there was someone else in the cellars.
I needed to make my mind up, whether to go on in the hope of solving the mystery of the empty boxes, or whether to turn back and find out who caused the empty clatter.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

0.5 vote to turn back. I'm deeply curious about these boxes and think the story might reward us for finding them, but I'm more nervous about getting ambushed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Turn back.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Good call. Going on would indeed have led to a trap, and a bad end.
A few yards back along the passage was one of the many turnings. I shone the torch down it and picked out a pile of rubbish strewn across the floor. That had been the noise that I'd heard. I was sure that I hadn't been that way myself. If someone else had been there, then they hadn't come my way. They couldn't be walking around in the dark and if they had come in my direction, then I would have seen their light.
I started down the new passage, stopping now and then to see if I could hear anyone but, sheltered from noises like the wind and the rain, the place was completely silent.
I found myself back at the lift. It was still there, doors open, exactly as I had left it. Nobody had left the basement that way. A sudden draught of cold air on my face made me look to the side of the lift. A door was swinging gently in the draught. It was far enough open to see a flight of stairs beyond. I should have realised that where there is a lift, there are usually stairs as well.
I climbed the stairs to the ground floor. The tailor's dummy was still lying on the floor outside the lift doors. I stopped again to listen. This time I could hear something, and not the kind of sound that I was expecting. It was very faint and very muffled. It could have been shouting, but it was very difficult to tell where it might be coming from.
As I moved away from the lift shaft, it got much fainter. I went back and put my ear against the lift doors. Now, it was much louder. I knew that lift shafts could carry sounds from quite a long way off. I also knew that it wasn't coming from the basement; I'd just come from there.
So it was something above me, though I had no means of knowing whether it was on the first, second or third floor. I was deciding that I only had to walk up the stairs to find out, when it stopped. I waited, but I didn't hear it again.
I wanted to explore the tower. I decided to start at the top and work my way down.
The third floor wasn’t going to take much searching. There were only three rooms. The first was a store cupboard, the second an empty room. The third was locked, but the key was in the door. I turned it in and pushed the door open. My heart missed a beat. It was what I had seen at the top of the staircase from the hall all over again—an old man sitting hunched in a wheel chair!
Before I could say anything he had spoken.
'Who are the devil are you?' The voice was thin but strong. 'Another of Crabtree's bunch I suppose!'
I had no doubt who he was—Jasper Vane Markus, my uncle Jasper, and looking very much alive! I told him who I was and, very quickly, what I was doing there.
'Then close the door,' he said, 'and lock it, and don’t put your gun away. You might need it. I know that Crabtree plans to do away with me. Now
that his plan's gone wrong, he’s got to do away with you as well. Can you shoot that thing?'
I told him that I could if I had to. I asked him if there was any other way out of the room apart from the door.
'Not unless you’ve got wings. Go to the window and take a look for yourself.' I was going to say that it would be too dark, when I saw the first streaks of dawn were just appearing in the sky. I looked there was a sheer drop; I couldn’t even see a drain pipe. But I could see something else—two figures hurrying away from the house. I could see only that one was taller than the other. I asked my uncle who he thought was in the house.
'Crabtree,' he said, and the other one—tall thin fellow, elderly, and walks with a limp.'
'The caretaker!' I exclaimed.
'Rubbish!' said my uncle. 'Haven’t got a caretaker. Used to have a couple, man and wife who looked after me these 10 years, 'till Crabtree sent them packing with some cock and bull story!'
I now felt certain that we were not going to see Mr. Crabtree or his assistant again and that it was safe to get my uncle downstairs.
I thought that my uncle should be in his bed but he wanted to hear everything. I told him about some of the things that had happened during the night.
'Crabtree had to scare you off,' my uncle explained. 'Faking my death would be easy, but he had to get you to sell the house. Crabtree believes in the Marsh Hall treasure. He would’ve bought the place himself and pulled up the pieces to find it.'
'What treasure?' I asked, looking puzzled.
My uncle laughed.
'Of course,' he said, 'you wouldn’t know about the treasure. You see we do have a ghost, a real one, the ghost of Thomas Fulton. When Henry VIII's men were destroying the monasteries, a priest called Thomas Fulton fled with some of the treasure of Tay’s Abbey. He was chased and took refuge in this house. The kings men searched the place for days. They even arrested the whole household, but neither Thomas Fulton nor the treasure were ever found. Some, like Crabtree, believe that it’s still here guarded by Thomas Fulton‘s ghost. You can see him for yourself, not his ghost, his portrait in the picture gallery upstairs.'
As I had expected, Crabtree was not heard of again. He had not returned to the offices of the London solicitors where he had worked. A few days later, those offices were broken into during the night. All that was taken was some of Crabtree’s papers and a large sum of money from the office safe.
My uncle promised that, one day, Marsh Hall would be mine. One day, I might even find Thomas Fulton's treasure! Until then, the secret treasure of Marsh Hall remains a secret, known only to Thomas Fulton's ghost.
So this is the second best ending in the book (you might have guessed that the best involves finding the ghost and the treasure.) I think this is a good enough ending to call the LP done, because I'm still really worn out. I think I might take a break from posting on the Den in general. Not sure if/when I'll return to posting regularly. I will answer any questions/comments/concerns about this book though.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Yup, I'm happy to call that a win. Where do you fork for the best ending?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

pragma wrote:Yup, I'm happy to call that a win. Where do you fork for the best ending?
If we went up instead of down, we'd have the chance to explore more of the upper level. One of those paths leads to Uncle Jasper (and the same ending we got here), but the other leads to a chance to find Thomas Fulton's ghost. (If you try to investigate here you find the treasure, but end up trapped in the chamber with it.) If you instead meet up with Uncle Jasper he opens the same way he did here, but when he mentions the treasure you tell him about where you saw the ghost. The two of you return there and find the treasure together.
The other two endings are you fleeing the house without solving either mystery, and the "getting trapped in the basement" ending I mentioned in my previous post.