Undead/Witch Hunter archtypes like Hellsing, Solomon Kane

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Undead/Witch Hunter archtypes like Hellsing, Solomon Kane

Post by OgreBattle »

Been looking at the history of different popular archtypes today.

Like the gun and sabre witch hunter, that seems to come from Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane

But was that drawing from older sources? Sword and pistol is a thing, there's highwaymen but any specific 'hero who fights evil' story with a gun + melee weapon like that?

I've been thinking about this today because it just clicked that Devil May Cry's Dante is a recolored Wesley Snipes Blade. Capcom was already making Marvel games and DMC started off as a sequel to Resident Evil, right at the time Blade I showed in theaters.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The Kane stories are strongly influenced by Haggard's African-set stuff (especially She) although it's been a while and I don't recall any particular weapon loadouts. While there are quite a few sword-and-pistol sorts in literature who predate Kane, the only one who springs to mind as a hero-who-fights-evil is Burroughs' John Carter (although the evils he fights are more conventionally villainous than metaphysical).
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

The Evil Dead movies are a more modern example of Sword & Pistol, so are most zombie apocalypse comic and TV series.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The Three Musketeers presumably had firearms, although I don't specifically remember them using them.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Are you only looking for earlier works, or examples period?
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Earlier works, but forming links is also good.

Like Evil Dead seems to have lead to Chainsaw Warrior so now we got scifi pistol chainswording
erik
King

Post by erik »

erik
King

Post by erik »

Leaving Luke as a separate post because I really like that badass picture.

Pirates are a good example of people using swords and pistols.

Apparently some knights/cavalry in the 1600's dumped the lance for firearms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakkapeliitta were cavalry who entered battle with two pistols to fire as they closed, then a sword after reaching melee.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

The newer examples that jump out at me are Bloodborne's hunters and the Highwayman from Darkest Dungeon.

Also, when I was in junior high I had a science teacher who was a Coast Guard reservist, who was regarded as a kook because he insisted the boarding loadout should be a cutlass and shotgun instead of a Beretta.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:The newer examples that jump out at me are Bloodborne's hunters and the Highwayman from Darkest Dungeon.

Also, when I was in junior high I had a science teacher who was a Coast Guard reservist, who was regarded as a kook because he insisted the boarding loadout should be a cutlass and shotgun instead of a Beretta.
Really love the Bloodborne hunter look. They both draw from Brotherhood of the Wolf, which draws from 1800's fashion and I'd say replaced the Jeffrey Catherine Jones' Solomon Kane puritan look.

I figure Brotherhood of the Wolf draws from highwaymen... though I think that French movie draws from cowboy movies too with the waxy look of their coats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highwayma ... %20century.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Oilcloth raincoats were a thing in the 18th century, but I think you're right on the influence.

Speaking of which, I would also mention that the protagonist of The Marquis (which is the biggest influence on Bloodborne that nobody ever mentions) uses a pistol/sword combo.