Discord Server for discussing D&D 3.5 and Stuff that's compatible with it like Tome and Pathfinder

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Discord Server for discussing D&D 3.5 and Stuff that's compatible with it like Tome and Pathfinder

Post by radthemad4 »

Made a discord server on impulse

https://discord.gg/7aAbp7JNr3

Server rules are
  • No bigotry. This includes but is not limited to racism, sexism, ableism (including using the word 'retarded' or using autistic as an insult), transphobia
Please don't join this if this is a problem
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: Discord Server for discussing D&D 3.5 and Stuff that's compatible with it like Tome and Pathfinder

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:30 pm
Why the fuck not just discuss that here? Eat shit.
Because people like you exist. Fuck off.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Re: Discord Server for discussing D&D 3.5 and Stuff that's compatible with it like Tome and Pathfinder

Post by radthemad4 »

Discord is easier for some people (like me) than forum posting. Forum posting has its place, but sometimes text chat is easier. Any significant completed projects will probably show up in the den anyway.
Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:50 pm
I wasn't originally considering this factor, but if it drives away people bothered by the rules, that's an unexpected benefit.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Yeah, siphon discussion from here and try and pull people into your little server so they stop posting here.
Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Case in point.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:44 am
Yeah, siphon discussion from here and try and pull people into your little server so they stop posting here.
3 points:
1. This forum doesn't actually talk that much about Tome/3.5 and hasn't for at least a few years now. So if you're doing more than concern trolling about that and really do think that there are Tome/3.5 discussions worth having that this server would siphon away from here, then put your money where your mouth is and start discussions about it here.
2. This forum literally went down for months earlier this year, and there is absolutely no harm in having a server that discusses the same topics in case that happens again. If you think the existence of a Discord server dedicated to a specific topic the Den hasn't talked about at length for years risks killing the Den then the Den is, at least in your eyes, past saving.
3. The only other thing I can think of (and you have plausible deniability in this specific thread although it would be in line with your past reaction to literally any post where someone says "ableism is bad") is that you're genuinely opposed to rad's server rules, despite them literally just being "don't be an asshole." In which case I reiterate: go fuck yourself.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
erik
King

Post by erik »

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:44 am
Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Case in point.
For the moment overlooking that you’re being a total shit stain, your presumption that people discussing something elsewhere will have a chilling effect on posting here is misguided. Discord is good for some things and message boards for others. Its not like there is a no compete requirement that people who talk on discord cannot still use message boards.

It’s not inconceivable that people could carry discussions to here that might otherwise never have occurred. Really only thing stopping it is if the signal to noise ratio here gets so bad that it’s just a handful of klaxon assholes outputting nothing useful or interesting.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Honestly, I have the same concern that The Adventurer's Almanac has levied here, of taking away discussion from the Den. As I see it, its intent is to to discuss things that TGD hasn't done so in some time...to there, except, we could just simply have the discussions that would've been made on Discord, to TGD. I think Darth Rabbitt made decent points, and having a "back up" in case TGD falls to updates for an extended period of time would be valuable, but I would rather discussion of [Tome], D&D, 3.5, to be made here where we participate in those discussions. After all, if a group is being made for the purpose of those discussions, that implies a desire to have them, which would seem to me we could just have them here.

Discord has the issue that you can't really organize information really well, and discussions can easily be lost to time. That said, its search function is probably better than what we have here now, where I literally can't type into the search engine on this site to find the most simplest of requests. I personally have Discord, but barely use it, if I'm on a handheld device I'm a little more willing to type away, but if I'm going to devote time to posting, I'm probably going to be on Desktop, which point I may as well go to TGD.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
erik
King

Post by erik »

Given that discord channels tend to be more like general chat rooms than organized threads with tables and structure, I think there is zero risk of them replacing the non existent discussions we aren’t having anymore. Discord is good as a sounding board to get quick ideas and responses. Those can only serve to inspire people to post more full formed ideas onto discussion boards if wanting to show their work and get more analytical critique. If this is even a go-to place for such critique is another matter entirely tho.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

This server looks fun! I still play in a few houseruled 3.x games and it would be neat to share the weirdness that pops up in them with TGD folks. Doesn't really feel meaty enough content-wise to make threads just to post my ridiculous character sheets, though. Just joined, see ya there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Aryxbez wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:58 am
Discord has the issue that you can't really organize information really well, and discussions can easily be lost to time
The discord is good, I've gotten more useful discussions out of it than my 2021 posts on here that are mostly derailed to "I don't care, this forum is my personal chatroom shit fuck lol" atmosphere of current Den. The most active thread is politics which I completely ignore, and that "this forum is my personal chatroom to shit whatever fuck" leaks into threads like this one.

The Den search function is also broken and it's only because I saved everything I liked on here a decade ago that I still have a giant archive of Den Design Notes.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

erik wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Given that discord channels tend to be more like general chat rooms than organized threads with tables and structure, I think there is zero risk of them replacing the non existent discussions we aren’t having anymore.
Right, I call that the final nail in the coffin. Discord is fucking worthless for anything, especially long-form RPG discussion that the Den specializes in.
Oh, well.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Discord is fucking worthless for anything, especially long-form RPG discussion that the Den specializes in.
Solid reasoning. Discord is fucking worthless for anything, especially what this forum is for. Therefore, the idea that some folks set up a discord will end this forum.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:38 am
erik wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Given that discord channels tend to be more like general chat rooms than organized threads with tables and structure, I think there is zero risk of them replacing the non existent discussions we aren’t having anymore.
Right, I call that the final nail in the coffin. Discord is fucking worthless for anything, especially long-form RPG discussion that the Den specializes in.
Oh, well.
You are being very weird about this. You realize that right? I don't think there is anyway you could rationally explain why you should even be lending an opinion about something as benign as advertising a discord group. It's not against the rules. It's none of your business if other people participate in it. You might want to take some time to consider that you might have some issues to work through if this kind of thing is setting you off.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

For the record, pretty sure Cham explicitly linked his discord group before, and no one called that the end of the gaming den.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Curmudgel
NPC

Post by Curmudgel »

Hey, The Adventurer's Almanac, It's a fucking link which I, among most, are likely to never click.
You seem like a piece of shit.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Curmudgel wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:16 pm
Hey, The Adventurer's Almanac, It's a fucking link which I, among most, are likely to never click.
You seem like a piece of shit.
Hey, you can't be mean to me on the internet! That's illegal!
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

OgreBattle wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:05 am
The discord is good, I've gotten more useful discussions out of it than my 2021 posts on here that are mostly derailed to "I don't care, this forum is my personal chatroom shit fuck lol" atmosphere of current Den. The most active thread is politics which I completely ignore, and that "this forum is my personal chatroom to shit whatever fuck" leaks into threads like this one.

The Den search function is also broken and it's only because I saved everything I liked on here a decade ago that I still have a giant archive of Den Design Notes.
That is a major concern to hear, that discussion being discouraged from continuing on TGD. I suppose this is a sign that we should all seek to be more proactive on the forum we do have, rather than potentially fragmenting further.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
NigelWalmsley
NPC

Post by NigelWalmsley »

The site search is down, but searching on Google with "site:tgdmb.com" does basically the same thing and works fine.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

That sometimes works, but I really do miss normal search. Downloading the entire gaming den and then Ctrl/Command Shift F-ing search terms in an IDE (e.g. VS Code) seems to work better.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ng_den.rar (should have all posts up till at least yesterday as of this post's time)

Oh, the numbers at the end of the folders are the thread number. e.g.
> -Our Favorite Edition is 2nd Edition...- 51605
> viewtopic.php?t=51605
erik
King

Post by erik »

Rad speaks true. Using his downloaded den he was able to quickly find stuff that I had been unable to pull up using google site search. Makes me wonder if the lazy google overlords didn't bother to index the entire message board.