New info on the upcoming Dragonlance novel

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Libertad
Duke

New info on the upcoming Dragonlance novel

Post by Libertad »

Polygon has an interesting article on it, along with a wraparound cover art.

Margaret Weis posted the announcement via Twitter.

At first expected to be released on July 2021, the new release date is August 2022.

There's also an Amazon page for the book, which reveals the overall plot. Looks like it'll take place pre-Age of Mortals.
Destina Rosethorn--as her name implies--believes herself to be very much a favored child of destiny. But when her father dis in the War of the Lance, her carefully-constructed world comes crashing down. Not only does she lost her beloved father, but the legacy he has left her: a wealthy fiance, and rule over the family lands and castle. With nothing left in the world to support her but wits and determination, she hatches a bold plan: to secure the Device of Time Journeying she read about in one of her father's books and prevent her father's death.

The last known holder of the Device was one of the Heroes of the Lance: the free-spirited kender, Tasselhoff Burrfoot. BUt when Destina arrives in Solace--home not only to Tas, but to fellow heroes Caramon and Tika Majere--she sets into motion a chain of events more deadly than she had ever anticipated: one that could change not only her personal history, but the fate of the entire world, allowing a previously-defeated evil to once again gain ascendancy.
While I am not fond of the protagonist's hackneyed name, I am hoping that this novel turns out good. I am very aware of Dragonlance's controversies and flaws, but after 12 years of no new novels or updates to the world I would love to see the setting get a strong re-entry.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: New info on the upcoming Dragonlance novel

Post by Thaluikhain »

The blurb sounds awful.

Anyway, there's a zillion dragonlance books, give white dragons some love, or develop continents of Krynn other than Absalom or I don't care.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Libertad wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:24 am
While I am not fond of the protagonist's hackneyed name,
Destina sounds like a perfectly good name for a spoiled brat who selfishly accidentally resurrects an ancient evil to me.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Am I the only one who's read the Minotaur Books from Dragonlance? Though I guess the fact it had probably very little to do with Dragons, or Lances, is what made it not Fvcked.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Hmm... Kang's Regiment was pretty good, if I recall correctly. Bunch of chill draconians learning that desertion is Cool and Good, running off to escape the silly alignment wars and make a new home for themselves. Then again, that was a long long time ago.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

I've never delved into Dragonlance myself... and I'll stay away until the day comes kender get fully remade and are no longer a license to do disruptive play.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The Draconian books are fun
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

"Device of Time Journeying"?

Well. At least it's Gygaxian in naming.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

The Device of Time Journey sounds like it was created in the Gygaxian era because it actually was: it's a 1e-vintage magic item, first showing up in the Dragonlance Legends trilogy in 1986.