[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 26 - Crypt of the Sorcerer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 26 - Crypt of the Sorcerer

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Note: Since the spoiler tags are *still* not working correctly as of tonight, some of my posts in this thread will be a little difficult to read. So I hope that everyone can bear with the clutter while the issues are getting resolved.

Cover
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Welcome, everybody. After a couple of days of deep internet diving and some assistance from Beroli, I managed to compile a functional copy of book #26, which will be the subject of this newest Let’s Play. And holy Christ, is this the granddaddy of hard books. In fact, following the optimal path with a character with maximum stats gets you a 0.5% chance of winning without using any cheats. Yep, you have a 1 in 200 chance of making it through this nightmare if you do everything right. Fortunately, we will be playing this adventure with some adjustments in order to have an experience that is hopefully rewarding, at the very least. Anyone brave enough to join this battle is welcome. The plan is to update this series on a twice per day basis, with the exception of Sundays, where I will try to update more frequently on these days. However, my work duties will probably cause adjustments to this proposed schedule, since I am heading towards a rather busy season here.

Preface
An ancient evil is stirring in the bowels of the earth, and the land is blighted. The dread sorcerer Razaak has been re-awoken and is poised to fulfill his dreams of death and tyranny. He is vulnerable only to his long-lost sword, but he has an awesome range of powers. It will be an epic quest to find the sword, defeat the forces ranged against you and face Razaak himself. There are artefacts to find, without which failure is certain, and there are friends on the way; but above all you will need to find your own courage and resourcefulness. Do you dare to travel the wastes and forests of Allansia, and ultimately to battle Razaak in his lair?

Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to embark on this thrilling adventure, which is complete with its elaborate combat system and a score sheet to record your gains and losses.

Many dangers lie ahead and your success is by no means certain. YOU decide which routes to follow, which dangers to risk and which adversaries to fight!

Ian Livingstone is the co-founder, with Steve Jackson, of Games Workshop, the hugely successful chain which specializes in fantasy games of all kinds.
Colour map by Leo Hartas
Introduction
Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your own strengths and weaknesses. Use dice to determine your initial scores. On pages 16-17 there is an Adventure Sheet which you may use to record the details of an adventure. On it you will find boxes for recording your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores.

You are advised either to record your scores on the Adventure Sheet in pencil, or make photocopies of the sheet to use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and will be periodically displayed.

Skill, Stamina and Luck
Roll one die. Add 6 to this number and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

There is also a LUCK box. Roll one die, add 6 to this number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

For reasons that will be explained below, SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores change constantly during an adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores and for this reason you are advised either to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. But never rub out your Initial scores.

Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your Initial scores, except on very rare occasions, when you will be instructed on a particular page.

Your SKILL score reflects your swordsmanship and general fighting expertise; the higher the better. Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness; the higher your STAMINA score, the longer you will be able to survive. Your LUCK score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. Luck – and magic – are facts of life in the fantasy kingdom you are about to explore.
Normally, I would make the appropriate rolls and modifications to generate our hero’s Skill, Stamina, and Luck. However, I have also explained that the chances for winning the adventure are hard enough as it is for players with maximum stats. Because I have no interest in adding yet another obstacle to an already fiendish book, I will set our hero’s initial scores to the maximum values allowed to do everyone a favor. Our hero thus starts with the following scores:
SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 24
LUCK: 12

Battles
You will often come across pages in the book which instruct you to fight a creature of some sort. An option to flee may be given, but if not – or if you choose to attack the creature anyway – you must resolve the battle as described below.

First record the creature’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on your Adventure Sheet. The scores for each creature are given in the book each time you have an encounter.

The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll both dice once for the creature. Add its SKILL score. This total is the creature’s Attack Strength.
2. Roll both dice once for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current SKILL score. This total is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of the creature, you have wounded it. Proceed to step 4. If the creature’s Attack Strength is higher than yours, it has wounded you. Proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided each other’s blows – start the next Attack Round from step 1 above.
4. You have wounded the creature, so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use your LUCK here to do additional damage (see over).
5. The creature has wounded you, so subtract 2 points from your own STAMINA score. Again you may use LUCK at this stage (see over).
6. Make the appropriate adjustments to either the creature’s or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK – see over).
7. Begin the next Attack Round by returning to your current SKILL score and repeating steps 1-6. This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or the creature you are fighting has been reduced to zero (death).
Fighting More Than One Creature
If you come across more than one creature in a particular encounter, the instructions on that page will tell you how to handle the battle. Sometimes you will treat them as a single monster; sometimes you will fight each one in turn.
Luck
At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across situations in which you could either be lucky or unlucky (details of these are given on the pages themselves), you may call on your luck to make the outcome more favourable. But beware! Using luck is a risky business and if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your luck is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current LUCK SCORE, you have been lucky and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK SCORE, you have been unlucky and you will be penalized.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your current LUCK score. Thus you will soon realize that the more you rely on your luck, the more risky this will become.

Using Luck in Battles
On certain pages of the book you will be told to Test your Luck and will be told the consequences of your being lucky or unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your luck either to inflict a more serious wound on a creature you have just wounded, or to minimize the effects of a wound the creature has just inflicted on you.

If you have just wounded the creature, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound and may subtract an extra 2 points from the creature’s STAMINA score. However, if you are unlucky, the wound was a mere graze and you must restore 1 point to the creature’s STAMINA (i.e. instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you have now scored only 1).

If the creature has just wounded you, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are lucky, you have managed to avoid the full damage of the blow. Restore 1 point of STAMINA (i.e. instead of doing 2 points of damage it has done only 1). If you are unlucky, you have taken a more serious blow. Subtract 1 extra STAMINA point.

Remember that you must subtract 1 point from your own LUCK score each time you Test your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if the character has less than 7 Stamina points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight. In battles where escape is an option and the character has less than 7 Stamina points, I will also ask whether the character should escape from the battle, and if so, under which conditions to do so.

Restoring Skill, Stamina and Luck
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during your adventure. Occasionally, a page may give instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score. A Magic Weapon may increase your SKILL, but remember that only one weapon can be used at a time! You cannot claim 2 SKILL bonuses for carrying two Magic Swords. Your SKILL score can never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed.

Stamina
Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure as you fight monsters and undertake arduous tasks. As you near your goal, your STAMINA level may be dangerously low and battles may be particularly risky, so be careful!

Unlike other Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks, you do not start your adventure with Provisions. However, during the course of the adventure, there will be opportunities for you to regain STAMINA points in various ways.

Remember also that your STAMINA score may never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed on a page.

Luck
Additions to your LUCK score are awarded through the adventure when you have been particularly lucky. Details are given on the pages of the book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed on a page.
Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those of us who want to have a blind experience. Any ties will be broken by me based on my personal instincts.

As I said in the introduction, I will be making quite a few adjustments to adjust this adventure’s difficulty to a reasonable level. Chief among these adjustments will be to give our hero 6 resurrections. Upon dying, our hero will use a resurrection to be sent back to the point where the first critical mistake was made in order to make the adventure winnable once more. The Adventure Sheet will also be reverted to what it was at that point in the story upon use of a resurrection. This makes resurrections more powerful than rewinds employed in several previous Let’s Plays.

The adjustments also involve providing our hero additional benefits and reducing stat penalties at certain sections encountered in the book. Whenever I make such a change, I will do so under an Important Note: heading and provide a corresponding vote to either have the change stay in place or remove it and stick to the original text. Any ties will have the change in question stand, as I believe that any changes I propose are reasonable and will preserve the book’s essence.

Background
Chalice is a small town lying on the banks of Silver River at the base of Moonstone Hills. It has grown from being merely a cluster of cabins and huts to its present size mainly because it became an important trading centre for prospectors seeking gold in the hills. It was the first safe haven for merchants who had travelled west from the Flatlands on their way to Silverton. In Chalice they could rest and do business without fear of attack. There are plenty of inns and places of entertainment, and it used to be among the most boisterous towns of Allansia.

But now, as you look out of the window of your upstairs bedroom at the Lion inn, there is no sign of merriment. For three weeks the sky has been dark and menacing. People recently arriving in Chalice from the east have told of pestilence, plague, disease and famine moving ever closer to the west.

Only yesterday a story spread like wildfire through the town that someone had discovered where the source of evil lay. An Elf, flying south on his Giant Eagle over the southern edge of Moonstone Hills, noticed a deep fissure in the ground, out of which rose a putrid-smelling vapour. All around the fissure the grass was blackened and the trees were stunted and leafless. As he flew over the fissure, the Elf said, he saw a scorched and withered hand rise out of the gap, its claw-like index finger pointing up at the eagle. An energy bolt shot up from the tip of the finger and burned a hole straight through the poor creature. It crashed to the ground, but the Elf escaped with his life and walked to Chalice to tell his tale.

You are a friend of the old wizard Yaztromo, who lives on the southern edge of Darkwood Forest, and you decide to visit him and relate the Elf’s tale. In the now familiar dusky light of day, you spur your horse northwards to Yaztromo’s tower and before nightfall you reach the overgrown path that leads to it. You dismount quickly, stride up to the huge oak door and ring the brass bell that hangs in the stone archway. There is no reply, but suddenly you are tapped on the shoulder and you whirl around, reaching for your sword.

‘There’ll be no need for that!’ grunts the old man who stands before you, shaking his finger in admonishment. ‘What are you doing here anyway, disturbing my peace and quiet? I haven’t laid eyes on you for over a year, and now you just turn up unannounced, walk straight through my herb garden and ring my bell long enough to wake the dead. Well, what do you want?’

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You smile to yourself, while you watch the grumpy old wizard displaying his usual hospitality. ‘And what’s so funny?’ he asks. Your expression immediately changes and Yaztromo frowns when he sees the concerned look on your face. ‘I think we should go upstairs so that you can tell me what is troubling you. I presume something is troubling you, as I am sure you wouldn’t visit me for any other reason – and I can guess that it has something to do with this infernal dark sky!’

When you have finished telling Yaztromo the Elf’s tale, he remains sitting silently in his old oak chair, his face as sombre as a grave. At last he speaks, sighing with every word. ‘Then my worst fears are realized. The necromancer has risen. Those fools! Their greed might now bring an end to life in Allansia. Unless...’ Completely puzzled by Yaztromo’s mutterings, you ask him to explain. As if describing a horrible nightmare, Yaztromo recounts the legend of the evil necromancer Razaak, who threatened Allansia one hundred years ago.

Although he first learned his skills as an apprentice to a Lawful wizard, Razaak was attracted early on in life by the dark power of Evil. He realized that he could become a great sorcerer who would one day be able to command everyone to obey him. He had no desire or intention to use his magic to help Allansia – he wanted the kingdom to be brought to its knees. He travelled to a remote part of eastern Allansia and there he practised his arcane acts. He quickly progressed through the levels of dark magic from lowly apprentice to wizard, and then sorcerer, so that at last his powers were so great that he became a necromancer, having spent the last forty years in solitude. Razaak then sent messages to all the nobles of Allansia, demanding that they acknowledge him as their ruler. At first they ignored him, for none had heard of him. Razaak took umbrage, and in retaliation brought plague and pestilence to the nobles’ provinces, giving them until the next full moon to recognize his leadership.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Many warriors offered to try to slay Razaak, and many died in the attempt. But one brave man by the name of Kull succeeded, and saved Allansia. He owned a sword which he had found in the Moonstone Hills, gripped by a skeletal hand rising from a mist-covered lake, across which he was sailing a raft. Kull was mesmerized by the sword’s magnificent beauty. He immediately wanted it for his own and reached out for it. The skeleton made no attempt to prevent him, and simply slipped down into the muddy depths of the lake as soon as it released the sword. Kull was so overwhelmed with the sword that nothing else mattered to him. He steered his raft to the shore and began testing his new weapon. He discovered that nothing could dull its edge, and that he could cut through plate-mail armour with ease. He did not realize that the sword had once belonged to Razaak, and was the only weapon in the whole world with the power to slay him. Razaak, in order to become a necromancer, had had to relinquish all weapons, but there was no power strong enough to destroy his cursed sword. To try to rid himself of the sword, Razaak threw it into the lake, but it rose to the surface in the grip of the skeleton. For years the skeleton clutched the sword until Kull caught sight of it and took it for himself. And so a twist of fate took the invincible Kull to Razaak, and Razaak was slain at the hand of Kull by the sword that had once been his own. But the moment Razaak was slain, Kull’s flesh fell from his bones and lay in a pile of dust around his skeletal feet. Razaak’s magic had condemned him to an eternal nightmare as a skeleton, unable to release the sword.

He seized a hooded robe and fled into Moonstone Hills, and it is said that to this day he drifts constantly across the same lake on his raft, clutching the sword, unable to rest until someone takes it from him. Razaak’s body was placed in a stone sarcophagus and entombed in the fissure in the southern hills. The crypt was sealed by a Lawful sorcerer who decreed that it must remain unopened for one hundred and ten years, otherwise the necromancer would rise with a host of undead to destroy all life.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

‘I can only assume,’ concludes Yaztromo with a deep sigh, ‘that treasure-hunters found the necromancer’s crypt and opened it unknowingly. Razaak must be destroyed before it is too late. Oh, but it’s going to be so difficult. We’ll need to find Razaak’s sword and a number of talismans and amulets that will protect you from the necromancer’s magic ... I trust you will volunteer for this mighty task?’

Slowly you nod your head, although your brain is still spinning with Yaztromo’s tale of Razaak and poor Kull. ‘Good’, continues Yaztromo. ‘Now, don’t worry about the sword: I won’t let you become a skeleton. Just bring it back here and in the meantime I’ll be calling on a few people who can help us. There is no time to waste; you must find the lake in Moonstone Hills. Rest well tonight and leave at first light – what little of it there is…’

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
NOW TURN OVER

You are woken, from a nightmare in which undead creatures attack you with swords, by Yaztromo tapping you on the shoulder. ‘Time to get up, it’s almost dawn’, he says in a sleepy voice. Within twenty minutes you are outside and mounted on your horse. Yaztromo smiles, ever optimistic in the face of danger, and hands you a small glass phial. ‘Healing Potion,’ he explains. ‘Enough for five tots.’ (Note this on your Adventure Sheet. The Healing Potion will restore 4 STAMINA points each time it is drunk. Make a note each time you drink a tot.) The old wizard then waves to you as you gallop off, heading east towards Moonstone Hills in search of the Lost Lake. By midday the hills rise up threateningly from the horizon, flanking you from north to south, and you wonder how you will ever find the lake. By nightfall you find yourself at the foot of the hills where Silver River flows out on to the Windward Plain towards Chalice. You decide to camp by the river and make a fire to keep you warm, and also to ward off any hunters of the night. The night passes without incident, and in the morning you wake feeling hungry. After eating bread and cheese from your backpack, you climb on to your horse and decide which way to head. If you wish to wade across the river and ride east into the hills, turn to 255. If you would rather follow the river north up into the hills, turn to 146.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Important Note: Each Healing Potion tot will restore 6 Stamina points instead of 4 Stamina points. Because there are no Provisions in this adventure, it is considerably harder to restore any lost Stamina that our hero takes, so I believe that our starting healing source should be much more effective than the equivalent of only 5 Provisions.

So the starting questions up for voting are the following:
Which way should our hero head?
What name do you want to give our hero?
Should the change to our hero’s starting Healing Potion remain in place?

Please make your decisions before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 26 - Crypt of the Sorcerer

Post by Beroli »

Wade across, ride east.

More powerful potions are good.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

More powerful potions are good, yeah. They had this book in my high school library, IIRC, and while I don't remember much, what I do remember makes me want to suggest that 12 sk and 24 sta are underpowered. Perhaps starting as a hero from another successful book and keeping some +1 skill weapons wouldn't go amiss.
Black Elves Matter
NPC

Post by Black Elves Matter »

From what I recall of this book, 12/24/12 should be enough to get through with 6 resurrections as the combats aren't that bad, with the exception of the final boss whose gimmick I assume will be nerfed with an Important Note. I think the optimal path still contains a few die rolls not affected by stats than can instakill/fail

Follow the river.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have registered your votes, and the change to our hero’s starting Healing Potion will remain in place by a 2-0 vote. I will be breaking the 1-1 tie on what to do next by having our hero following the river north up into the hills, as beginning this adventure in a fascist direction does not pay off here. There are no votes for character names yet, so I will leave name voting open for now.

You climb steadily up into the hills, following the winding river. After an hour or so, the ground becomes very marshy and your horse has to struggle to keep moving forward. It appears that this part of the river often breaks its banks and floods the valley. If you wish to keep heading north, turn to 249. If you would rather cross the river and ride east into the hills, turn to 53.

Please make your decisions on what to do and which name to assign our hero before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]???
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 24 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 12 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
TREASURE:
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Healing Potion (five tots, +6 STAMINA per tot)
RESURRECTIONS: 6[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sat May 21, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Elves Matter
NPC

Post by Black Elves Matter »

Cross the river
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Cross the river.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since there are still no votes for character names, I will extend the naming deadline to 9:00 AM PDT. In the meantime, I will register your votes to have our hero cross the river and ride east into the hills.

Two hours later you are deep in the hills. You gaze up at the sombre grey sky, scanning it for winged killers that might swoop down to attack. There are no flying creatures to be seen, but an unnerving silence sends a shiver down your spine. Suddenly, your horse whinnies and rears up on its hind legs. Roll two dice. If the result is the same as or less than your SKILL, turn to 39. If the result is greater than your SKILL, turn to 298.

Rolling the dice for formal purposes yielded a 4, which is obviously less than our hero’s Skill.

Keeping a firm grip on the reins, you are able to stay in the saddle. Suddenly three evil-looking creatures materialize as if by magic to ambush you. Turn to 239.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The stone-coloured Chameleonites bound forward on two legs with strange, jerky movements. Their bulbous eyes and long tongues protrude from their reptilian heads, and their bodies are covered with scales. But they are humanoid in shape and each carries a stone club with which to attack you.

First CHAMELEONITE SKILL 7 STAMINA 7
Second CHAMELEONITE SKILL 6 STAMINA 6
Third CHAMELEONITE SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

Fight them one at a time. If you are still on horseback, add 2 to your Attack Strength during each round of combat. If you win, turn to 356.

Our hero is still on horseback when the fights began.

The fights:
[spoiler]First Chameleonite:
Round 1: First Chameleonite Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 19;
First Chameleonite Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: First Chameleonite Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 17;
First Chameleonite Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: First Chameleonite Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 24;
First Chameleonite Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 24
Round 4: First Chameleonite Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 16;
First Chameleonite Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 24

Second Chameleonite:
Round 1: Second Chameleonite Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Second Chameleonite Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Second Chameleonite Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Second Chameleonite Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Second Chameleonite Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Second Chameleonite Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 24

Third Chameleonite:
Round 1: Third Chameleonite Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Third Chameleonite Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Third Chameleonite Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Third Chameleonite Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Third Chameleonite Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Third Chameleonite Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 24
Round 4: Third Chameleonite Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Third Chameleonite Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 24[/spoiler]

Thanks to being on horseback, our hero flawlessly slaughters all three Chameleonites.

You look down at the lifeless bodies of the Chameleonites and recall a legend you were once told. It is said that the blood of these rare creatures gives a human being the power of perfect camouflage just once in his or her life. But it is also said that sometimes there are terrible side-effects. If you wish to dab some Chameleonite blood on to your body, turn to 124. If you would rather spur your horse on further east, turn to 180.

Please make your votes on what to do next as well as our hero’s name before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The essence of this hardest of gamebooks is madness, and only a psychopath can hope to finish it, so let's look the part. Wear blood.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Well, if we don't try the blood, the Chameleonites will have died in vain. Make their demises worth something and dab away.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Wear the blood.

(Also, I don't think lizard people are inherently evil-looking, they are at least sorta cool)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since dabbing some Chameleonite blood received 3 votes, I will have our hero do just that.

You tentatively dab some blood on to yourself, and wait to see if you feel any ill effects. Roll one die. If you roll 1, turn to 163. If you roll 2, turn to 272. If you roll 3-6, turn to 361.

Rolling the die yielded a 3.

Ten minutes pass and nothing terrible happens to you. You realize that you are immune to the side-effects of the Chameleonite’s blood. Add 1 LUCK point. In high spirits you turn your horse east. Turn to 180.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

At the bottom of the next hill, you see that the ground is littered with the large bones of unknown creatures. Some are piled high, while others are scattered over a wide area. Suddenly, you notice a small black-cloaked and hooded figure scurry from behind one pile of bones to another. ‘Go away! Go away!’ he shouts in a voice full of fear. If you wish to approach him, turn to 70. If you would rather ride around the Valley of Bones, turn to 369.

Please make your votes on what to do next as well as our hero’s name before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]???
NOTES:
Dabbed self with Chameleonite blood
TREASURE:
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Queen of Swords
Prince

Approach him.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Approach.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Approach him.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So between the bathing in the blood of our enemies and the being a max stats Ian Livingstone character I think we should go with Dirk the Impaler.

Also, approach.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have registered your votes to approach the figure, which our character will do. And I have also registered the single vote to name our hero Dirk the Impaler, so that is what he will be called from now on.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you approach the pile of bones, you are assailed by a salvo of bones, frantically thrown by the little man. If you wish to attack him, turn to 134. If you would rather call out and tell him that you mean him no harm, turn to 343.

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Dirk the Impaler
NOTES:
TREASURE:
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Tell him we mean him no harm. Dirk doesn’t impale funny little guys for no reason.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

We must murder and rob him.

...I am not joking. This is my vote.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm refraining from voting because I read a review which spoilered this choice.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sorry for the delay, folks. I was busy with IRL issues. I will be breaking the 1-1 tie in favor of attacking the little man.

You jump down from your horse, sword in hand, and attack the nimble man, who is armed with two long thigh bones.

BONEKEEPER SKILL 5 STAMINA 6

The Valley of Bones curses those who would harm its keeper. If you win, turn to 287, but lose 3 LUCK points.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Bonekeeper Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Bonekeeper Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Bonekeeper Attack Strength: 9, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Bonekeeper Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Bonekeeper Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Bonekeeper Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 24 [/spoiler]

You find a leather pouch hanging around the Bonekeeper’s neck. Its contents are three bone rings, each one highly polished. One has the symbol of a full moon carved into its surface, another bears the emblem of a dagger, and the third has a skull etched into it. Will you:

Try on the Moon Ring? Turn to 10
Try on the Dagger Ring? Turn to 94
Try on the Skull Ring? Turn to 265

If you leave the rings and ride east out of the Valley of Bones, turn to 369.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
LUCK: 9 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
TREASURE:
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 pm
Dirk doesn’t impale funny little guys for no reason.
Not saying anything specific about this book (because again I know it too well), but do remember that generally, in most Ian Livingstone books it is quite the norm to randomly murder funny-looking guys and nick their stuff as an essential means to victory. Besides, it'd be a fitting running theme for a PC whom, as you noted, literally bathes in the blood of his enemies, so one might as well role-play as the bloody psychopath that he is meant to be.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The Skull Ring goes with our aesthetic.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:45 am
Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 pm
Dirk doesn’t impale funny little guys for no reason.
Not saying anything specific about this book (because again I know it too well), but do remember that generally, in most Ian Livingstone books it is quite the norm to randomly murder funny-looking guys and nick their stuff as an essential means to victory. Besides, it'd be a fitting running theme for a PC whom, as you noted, literally bathes in the blood of his enemies, so one might as well role-play as the bloody psychopath that he is meant to be.
Honestly that's fair. I was going under the assumption that we had to give peace a chance on this specific one and pulled a weak justification for it out of my ass.

Anyways, take the skull ring because this is Games Workshop so skulls for the skull god are desirable.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dirk the Impaler will try on the Skull Ring.

You place the ring on your finger and try to release a magical power from it. But nothing happens. If you have not done so already, you may try on either the Moon Ring (turn to 10) or the Dagger Ring (turn to 94). If you would rather ride east out of the Valley of Bones, turn to 369.

Please make your votes before 11:00 AM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
LUCK: 9 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
TREASURE:
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Skull Ring