[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 29 - Midnight Rogue

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 29 - Midnight Rogue

Post by SGamerz »

This was the last book listed in my previous poll that hasn't been run yet, so I figure I might as well make it the next LP. As mentioned in the poll topic, this was one of the books that I wanted to experiment with the "extra lives" mechanism, and for each one I try to match it with either an existing mechanism in the book (Hero points for Appointment with F.E.A.R, Tabasha's aid in Chasms of Malice), or in the case of this book, the general theme.

While the PCs in many of the FF books (especially earlier ones) tends to be, or at least has the opportunity to act like, a murderous psychopath, there are only a few books where they're actually cast as someone of an officially illegal profession, and this is one of those books, where we play as a member of the Thieves' Guild in the notorious Port Blacksand (or at least, a newly-graduated apprentice looking to become a full member). The objective of the quest in the book is to steal a specific item to pass a pro test to qualify as an official member, but of course, this wouldn't stop him from doing a bit of additional thieving on the side.

With that in mind, I'm linking the extra life mechanism to the gaining of gold and treasure, which can be "traded" for the chance to continue playing if the playthrough comes to an untimely end. (So yes, we're basically like Super Mario picking up gold coins for extra lives. Not green mushrooms available in this book, though.)

This is the system I'm implementing - each time we hit a Game Over, we may spend:

1) 2 gold - this gives us a full STAMINA restore if we die via combat or STAMINA loss, and redo whatever battle or stat-test we may have failed, OR let us rewind to the last section where we were given an option (usually just 1 section back, but can be more) if we hit an insta=fail section.

2) 5 gold - this gives us a complete restoration of all stats if we die in combat/failed a stat or random test, and continue as if we won or passed said battle/test. Alternatively, you can also use it to rewind to any point or your own choosing. However, I will not indicate whether or at which point you may have made a wrong turn that makes the book impossible to complete.

3) 10 gold - if you choose to spend this amount, I will rewind you back to the last point where you made a "wrong" decision that will lead to delayed Game Over later. Note that you have to decide whether or not to spend the amount before I reveal whether or not it's necessary. If you were in fact already on the right path and just died to some unlucky dice roll, then you will just waste 10 GP and continue from where you were - but I will not inform you whether that is the case beforehand, so it's a risk you need to decide whether it's worth taking.

Any gold spent in the above manner will NOT be regained if you rewind back and then pass through the same sections where you picked up the gold a second time (other equipment or items regained in this manner will, however, be reset). Also keep in mind that there may be other things in this book that gold will be useful (and possibly vital) for, so it's always a gamble to decide whether or not to spend any (at least there's no long shopping lists like so many other FF books).

Now, let's proceed with the (non-house) rules:

Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Eating a meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.[/spoiler]

For this book, I will rolling 4 dice and letting players assign/distribute them to whichever stat they prefer later.

Combat:
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

Now, for the New Stuff in this book:

Special Skills:

There are 6 "thief skills" from which we may pick 3. There are no detailed explanation for any of them, but I'm pretty sure they're self-explanatory:

PICK POCKET
PICK LOCK
CLIMB
SNEAK
HIDE
SPOT HIDDEN
SECRET SIGNS

The only one that might warrant a bit of explanation is Secret Signs, which is basically the special signs that all thieves in the guild learn and use to communicate with each other (although if we don't choose this skill, I guess it means our character didn't manage to absorb these particular lessons). It's the kind that's drawn out (so can be left as messages for someone who sees it later), not hand-signs.

Equipment:

This is one of the few FF books with a limit on items we can carry. Our backpack as only 6 slots, so we can only pick up to that amount of items that need to be carried in it. However, not all items will be considered backpack items. Stuff like our weapon, gold, armour, anything that is worn instead of carried, or are small enough not to take up space in there can be freely carried. The book will specify whether an item counts as backpack item when we find it. I think there may be a few of those that the author may have neglected to specify, and in those cases, I will use my own discretion to rule on whether they count as such.

Our starting equipment include:

Backpack items: 1) 10 Provisions (count as a single item), 2) a potion (we get to choose from 3).
Non-backpack items: Shortsword, leather jerkins and leggings, torch, hand-lamp (gives less light than torch, but also less risk of being spotted), tinderbox, 5 gold pieces (equivalent to 1 free rewind or complete stats restoration)

So now, before I proceed further, please vote on the following:

1) Which 3 Special Skills do we start with?

2) Which potion do we start with (this is the classic option: Skill, Strength & Fortune, restoring SKILL. STAMINA and LUCK respectively. Potion of Fortune also adds 1 to Initial LUCK).

3) Rolling for our stats, I've rolled the numbers 2, 2, 4 and 5. Please distribute these between your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK to determine their Initial scores.

4) And as usual, while this is not compulsory, you may proceed to pick a name for our PC. This can also wait till you've read the Background or later, of course.
Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 29 - Midnight Rogue

Post by Beroli »

I look forward to testing my memory here. I am, at least, sure I remember the very first "choose right or fail for no good reason" choice.

Spot Hidden, Secret Signs, Pick Lock.

Skill 11, Stamina 16, Luck 10.

Potion of Fortune.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My votes are the following:

Take Spot Hidden, Sneak, and Pick Pocket as the Special Skills, as my faint memory of this book indicates that the first is needed to get treasures, and that the latter two are useful in evading guards and getting needed keys.

Start with the Potion of Fortune, as the addition of 1 to the Initial Luck is the deciding factor for me in this adventure.

Assign a Skill of 11, a Stamina of 18, and a Luck of 8.

And finally, name our thief in training Garrett.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I like skill 11, stamina 16, luck 10.

Spot hidden, secret signs, pick pocket. Reasoning: the first two help avoid instant death, the last helps find keys

Name: Carmen
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Woo! I remember this being one of my, not favourite FF, but ones I appreciated. The second half is a bit weird, but I like the idea, and there's no risk of the world ending in this one (and thus forcing us to stop the Crypt of the Sorcerer one that hadn't finished).

I remember a bit about it, so will avoid saying too much.

(Carmen Garrett works for me)
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I'd also humor Garrett San Diego, which is just about silly enough for one of these protagonists.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I don't remember much about this book at all, so I'm looking forward to it. As for skills, Pick Lock, Spot Hidden and Sneak.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Carmen Garrett.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Carmen Garrett, Skill 11 Stamina 16 Luck 10.

Spot Hidden, Sneak, and one of Pick Pockets or Pick Locks (I’d lean towards the former in case of a tie.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Other than Spot Hidden being a clear favourite, there was actually a tie in votes for no less than 4 other Special Skills (poor Climb got zero love) before Darth broke the ties. So the final winners are Spot Hidden, Sneak and Pick Pocket.

There was clear majority in the voting for all the other choices, so our starting stat is 11/16/10, we'll be taking the Potion of Fortune, and our PC's name will be Carmen Garrett.

Let's proceed with the Background:
You stand in the meeting-room of the Thieves' Guild of Port Blacksand. The room is crowded with pickpockets, beggars, burglars, cutpurses and thieves of all descriptions, all come to witness the Test of Apprentices.

Rannik, the Master of the Guild, stands in the middle of the room.

"Does any member here present know of any reason why this apprentice should not be tested, according to the traditions of the Guild?" he says. Even though you know this is just a formality, your stomach knots as you wait for a challenge.

When no challenge comes, Rannik turns to you.

"A week ago," he says, "a merchant named Brass acquired a gem known as the Eye of the Basilisk. He will doubtless have it hidden somewhere in or around the city. His symbol is a coin - that is all the information you will be given. For your test, you must find and steal the Eye of the Basilisk. Dusk has just fallen outside, and you have until dawn to complete your test. Do you understand?"

You nod.

"Then." says Rannik, "it just remains for me to say be careful. remember your training - and good luck."

The assembled Guild members murmur their agreement as you leave the meeting-room to collect your equipment. Although you have checked it a dozen times already, you go over it all one last time as you make ready to leave the Guild. There are a sword, a few coins, a hand-lamp, a torch, a tinder-box, some food, a magic potion supplied by the Guild, and a backpack. Having satisfied yourself that everything is in order, you leave the Thieves' Guild by one of over a dozen concealed entrances, and head into the darkened streets of Port Blacksand.
As you leave the Guild, your mind works quickly, listing the places where you might find our some information as to the gem's whereabouts. Most of the rick merchants in the town have houses near the Field Gate; if you can find Brass's house, you may be able to find some useful information there. Then again, the Merchants' Guild is just across the Market Square, and if Brass is an important merchant, he's bound to have a suite of offices there. Finally, there's the Noose, the area of town around the Thieves' Guild. You hardly ever see a merchant there, but it's the best place in Allansia for picking up all kinds of gossip and rumours. Where will you try first?

The Merchants' Guild?
Brass's house?
The Noose?
Where do we being our search?

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Carmen Garrett
SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 16/16
LUCK 10/10
Special Skills: Spot Hidden, Sneak, Pick Pocket
Backpack Items:
1) Provisions
2) Potion of Fortune (+1 to Initial LUCK, restores LUCK to new Initial value)
3)
4)
5)
6)
Other Items: Shortsword, leather jerkins and leggings, torch, hand-lamp, tinderbox
Provisions: 10
Gold & Treasure: 5 GP
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

IIRC, visiting some of the places in this book doesn't allow us to visit some of the choices we were previously offered, which may influence people's choices.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Don't leave the Noose yet. Search around here.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, might as well start at the Noose. I don't like the idea of going to Brass's house without knowing more about him.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to go to the Noose.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Noose is fine
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Noose sounds the most likely to have vital clues, and I doubt that Brass stashed his priceless jewel in his house or office since those are the first two places the literal city of thieves would search for his loot.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

As you make your way along the Noose, you think about likely places for picking up information. At the edge of the Noose is a tavern called the Rat and Ferret, where thieves, beggars and all sorts of people come to drink. The Noose is always filled with beggars, at any time of the day or night, and they see and hear all sorts of things. And on one side of the Noose lives Madame Star, the clairvoyant. She spends her days in the Market Square telling fortunes, but at this time of the night she would be at home. What will you do?

Go to the Rat and Ferret?
Try to find a beggar?
Visit Madame Star?
Leave the Noose?
Who do we ask first?
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

A beggar.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to try to find a beggar, as beggars were part of the Thieves' Guild, and could be our best allies. I do not think we will be able to find Madame Star at this time of night, and I think we will have a better chance of picking up information if we look for a beggar who is alone, rather than if we went to the Rat and Ferret.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Beggar. We've been told they know all sorts of things!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:26 am
I vote to try to find a beggar, as beggars were part of the Thieves' Guild, and could be our best allies.
You'd think so, but they have their own guild, and pay fealty to a King of Beggars on some other continent. Or so says the Blacksand! book I should finish my review of one day.

Having beggars be part of the local Thieves Guild makes a lot more sense, though.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:15 am
JourneymanN00b wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:26 am
I vote to try to find a beggar, as beggars were part of the Thieves' Guild, and could be our best allies.
You'd think so, but they have their own guild, and pay fealty to a King of Beggars on some other continent. Or so says the Blacksand! book I should finish my review of one day.

Having beggars be part of the local Thieves Guild makes a lot more sense, though.
The Beggars' Guild and Assassins'' Guild in Blacksand are both affiliated with the Thieves' Guild.

You walk quietly along the Noose, looking for a beggar. All beggars in Port Blacksand are members of the Thieves' Guild, and they can be very valuable source of information. After a little way, you see Bargo the Wheeler trundling towards you along the darkened street. He was a soldier once, but lost both his legs in a war many years ago. Since then, he has been reduced to begging, pushing himself about the city in a little cart. Bargo recognizes you as you approach, and greets you with a nod.

"Hello, young 'un," he says. "Out on your test, eh?" You nod, and ask him if he knows anything Brass. He shrugs.

"Just what everybody knows," he says. "He's a big merchant, with a house by the Field Gare and an office in the Merchants' Guild. Can't be much help, I'm afraid." What will you do next?

Thank him and give him a gold piece?
Go to the Rat and Ferret?
Visit Madame Star?
Or will you leave the Noose and try elsewhere?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

SGamerz wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:09 pm
The Beggars' Guild and Assassins'' Guild in Blacksand are both affiliated with the Thieves' Guild.
All beggars in Port Blacksand are members of the Thieves' Guild,
Huh, I stand corrected.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Thanks and good piece. I'm hoping the bribe shakes loose more info
Last edited by pragma on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Thank him and give him a gold piece.