Shadowrun 4e: augmented reality

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

rafaelmoya
NPC

Shadowrun 4e: augmented reality

Post by rafaelmoya »

So in the fiction for Shadowrun, I often see references to people making notes in or affecting AROs (augmented reality objects--windows like tabs in a browser basically to my understanding) while using actual gestures. This makes sense to me if they have an implanted commlink, or are using AR Gloves, or trodes (or are a technomancer), but how would they be able to affect AR stuff without actually manipulating their commlinks otherwise? I'm curious as to your interpretations!
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Re: Shadowrun 4e: augmented reality

Post by phlapjackage »

Maybe you want a direct neural interface with your commlink - I think you could implant a data jack for the DNI, and then jack your commlink into that, or maybe you could add skin link to the commlink and keep it against your body. Both those would probably need some kind of display (glasses, contacts, cyber eyes) that's also connected to your commlink through your PAN.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I think you've covered the angles here. Your options for AR interface are DNI, gloves, or pulling the commlink out of your pocket and using it like a smartphone. If you've seen or read something where someone appears to not be using any of those, it's merely an oversight on the part of the writer or artist. Or perhaps not, since cyberware is pretty common and literally ANY cyberware can have a cheap link integrated to give you Facebook-grade DNI.

That said, SR4's nanotech is at a state where AR gloves aren't necessarily bulky obvious things. The sensors could be in ANY sort of handwear, and if the prose isn't spending paragraphs gushing about how cool the tech is they might just not mention it if it's not otherwise relevant to the scene. If I write a character pulling the collar of their jacket up against a cold wind, but don't mention what color their pants are, does that mean they're not wearing pants?
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

you can get trode nets by painting nano paste onto your head, there is basically nothing you can not do anymore in this regard.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.