[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 32 - Slaves of the Abyss

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 32 - Slaves of the Abyss

Post by SGamerz »

There are only about 2-4 of the books in the series left that I really want to do, and this is one of them. To be honest, I got into this book rather late partly because I wasn't a fan of the cover art personally. But this book has one of the most unique setup and plot and the overall experience ended up exceeding my expectations.

The setting of the book is in Kallemehr, a place where some of us visited in the Riddling Reaver RPG adventure (written by the same authors) and which most of us also visited in the second half of the Magehunter playthrough. The timeline of the story takes place some time after the Riddling Reaver, but before the events of Magehunter. Here's the back cover blurb:
"Kallamehr lies defenceless. The army is away, facing an invasion to the north, and now a new threat is at hand - another enemy from the east! Lady Carolina of Kallamehr summons YOU, a famous adventurer, to her aid. But can you help? Will you manage to preserve this stronghold of Good against the invading hordes? Or is this task beyond even your heroic abilities? You will need your wits as well as your sword of Fangthane steel to prevent the sands of time engulfing the city..."
It doesn't actually reveal too much. From the back cover blurb alone, this almost seems like it might be something like a military-strategy style RPG as you play city defense against invaders...but that's not really the case. It's a quite different sort of adventure, and quite different from the norm too, as we would soon find out...

Now, despite me saying that this is a pretty unique book, in terms of rules it's actually mostly standard stuff cover in your usual Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Eating a meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.[/spoiler]

For this book, I will rolling 4 dice and letting players assign/distribute them to whichever stat they prefer later.

Combat:
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

There are only 2 special rules in this book:

1) Instant Death in Combat:

Combat difficulty is less of an issue in this book because of this special rule. Our character is an established and renowned warrior (even if he happens to roll up a SKILL of 7) who is armed with a blade of finest Fangthane steel. In fact, if he does start with a SKILL of 7, I'm willing to bet he owes most of his fame to that sword. This sword can be a major combat equalizer against the toughest foe, because each time the PC rolls a double-6 in combat, he scores an insta-kill blow. So yes, he has the same power as the Creature of Havoc in FF24....but only if he's using his special sword in combat! (Needless to say, there will be situations when he can't fight with the sword for various reasons.)

2) Time

Racing against time is a thing in this book, and we are told to tick off time boxes as we progress through the adventure.

Here's what the time sheet looks like:

So, 20 time units to spend. And as you can see, 2 of them contain section numbers, which we're supposed to turn to when we tick off those boxes, each supposedly trigger a certain event or encounter. Now, I don't think it's hard to figure out that the second of those section numbers (which is in the very last box) is basically a "you fail because you're out of time" reference. As for what the other one contains...we'll find out if we get to it (or I'll reveal it after the playthrough).

Equipment includes, as mentioned, our awesome sword of Fangthane steel, but other than that it's mostly standard...well, rather less than that, because we only start with 5 meals. We also keep count of gold, and we also start with 5 of those.

House Rule against sudden deaths/failures:

Unlike the last few books I've run, there really isn't much redundant/underdeveloped mechanisms I can exploit...which is actually a positive point for the book. Still, this is one of the most difficult books in the series...not the absolute meatgrinders produced by Liviingstone, early Green and late Martin entries, but it's a book that requires you to find a well-hidden true path to win. I definitely want to be able to show as much of the plot as possible, so I'd certainly want to allow players more chances to try again, because we're highly unlikely to succeed on the very first attempt. So for this one I'm keeping the revival mechanism simple: when we fail, I will rewind to the first point we veered off the "true path", and we will continue from that restored point with the slight penalty of having expended an additional time box than we would have at that point.

Now, for the stats...this one is actually not as demanding on sky-high stats as the meatgrinder books, and thanks to the sudden death mechanism (which is actually in our favour for once) combat is less of a problem compared to some others. I will allow distribution of stats by dice and votes again.

We roll 4 dice and score: 4, 6, 1 and 4.

Now, please vote on stat distribution before we proceed!
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 32 - Slaves of the Abyss

Post by Thaluikhain »

I vote using the 6 for skill, and the 1 for one of the stamina dice. I have no opinion on which of the 4s to give to luck or to stamina.

(I vaguely remember this one, for the insta-kill sword thing, same setting as Magehunter/Riddling Reaver and, IIRC, some interesting fail/death text)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

This particular book has a lot of potential, as someone who played it five years ago. I definitely like the story, and there were a couple of tense moments that put this adventure at the top of my personal list.

I vote to give our hero 12 Skill, 10 Luck, and 17 Stamina. I also vote to name our hero Dastan, and to volunteer to scout to the east when the story begins, as I remember that giving our hero a fascist start is actually a good thing for this adventure.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Skill 12, 17 Stamina, Luck 10.

(And when it is the question, I will vote for "scout" rather than "stay to defend" or "call back army.")
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The votes are unanimous, we will have a hero with SKILL 12 (worthy of the blade that he wields), STAMINA 17 and LUCK 10.

Let's proceed with the story:
These are troubled times in Kallamehr. No sooner had its ruler, Lady Carolina, got over the death of her husband than she was flung into a war with the rival trading state Alkemis. After a sea-battle in which many lives were lost, it seemed that Kallamehr had prevailed. Yet there was more to come. Rumours spread of armies massing on the northern borders. Bei-Han, never a friendly neighbour, was said to be preparing for an invasion. Acting decisively, Lady Carolina ordered all her armies to the northern borders. The mountain passes on the borders could be defended with ease. If the armies of Bei-Han were allowed to reach the wide plains of Kallamehr, however, they would wreak untold damage.

You arrive in Kallamehr just as the last troop of soldiers are departing. You find yourself in a city strangely deserted. Life goes on, but without the many brightly constumed warriors used to parade so proudly down Kallamehr's winding streets. With the soldiers gone, the criminals thrive. You bar the door of your room at night, and sleep with your sword beside your bed.

A few weeks pass. Then, one morning, a wild-eyed messenger rides into the city, yelling incoherent warnings of an invasion from the east. Less than an hour after he disappears into the palace, a servant brings you a note on stationery bearing the seal of the House of Rangor. Is is a summons to appear before Lady Carolina herself! It seems your fame as an adventurer has reached her, and in these dark days the Lady has need of fearless warriors.

When you arrive at the palace, you find yourself in the company of ten other adventurers. Several are known to you by sight, and one, Sophia of Blacksand, by name, as yo have shared dangers with her on more than one occasion. Before you have a chance to exchange names and greetings with the others, you are led inside by a servant. You are ushered into an audience-chamber to face the five nobles behind a huge black wooden table. In the centre sits Lady Carolina, resplendent in ceremonial jewellery, the Sword of Office on the table before her. To her left is her cousin Madhaerios, a fat fellow with a nervous twitch in his nose. Beyond him sits Dunyazad of Ikhtiyan, a small woman who is reputed to be the wealthiest person in Kallamehr province. To Carolina's right are Sige the Silent, an imposing woman of ancient lineage, and Asiah Albudur, the stern-faced Judge. Truly you face the five the most important people in Kallamehr!

You bow, and Carolina swiftly explains the situation. With the army many leagues to the north, Kallamehr lies unguarded. Now a messenger has arrived from the easternmost regions, telling of villagers found deserted. It seems that an army is advancing on the city from the east - it must be barbarian raiders from Kulak Isle. A rider must be dispatched at once to fetch back half of Kallamehr's army. Meanwhile the city must be defended in some way. Carolina explains that her loyal champion Ramades the Invincible, most feared warrior in all the southern lands, is away on a quest for a fabled relic. She praises you all for past gallantry and asks that you help her - and gain the gratitude of the whole province - by undertaking the defence of the city. You may be few in number, but surely the glory will be all the greater?
NOW TURN TO PARAGRAPH 1

Seems like it hasn't been that long since the events of the Riddling Reaver. Because we played Magehunter before this, we actually had access to a very minor spoiler: we know that Asiash Albudur was the ruler by the time of that book. Yes, indeed, Lady Carolina will not survive this crisis, although Kallamehr may if we're successful. As I mentioned before, this is not a peaceful city to rule, and I think this Background section reinforces that.

Ramades the Invincible never seems to be around during Kallamehr biggest crisis either...although in my own head-canon, I picture him as one of the unnamed heroes of the Riddling Reaver saga who stayed on as Lady Carolina's champion after his success.

Remarkably, this is one of the few FF gamebooks without any picture accompanying section 1...
How can you refuse such an appeal? The other ten are quick to volunteer for the task, and your voice joins theirs in pledging allegiance to Lady Carolina. The is your chance to be become more than a wandering adventurer - you'll be a true hero of legend! You listen as the five nobles begin to lay plans. One of you must ride to the northern passes and summon the army, another must ride east to scout out the invaders. The rest must remain in Kallamehr and use all their wits and ingenuity to prepare a defence. What do you intend to do:

Volunteer to ride north for the army?
Volunteer to scout to the east?
Remain behind to defend the city?
I have counted Beroli's advance vote to be the scout. What do the rest of you prefer? Scouting, fetching reinforcements, or city defence?

And as usual, suggestions for our hero's name are welcome.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: ??
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 17/17
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword of Fangthane steel, leather armour
Provisions: 5
Gold & Treasure: 5 GP
[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I'll go with scouting as well.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My votes will be to name our hero Dastan, and to volunteer to scout to the east when the story begins. According to my memory, giving our hero a fascist start is actually a good thing for this adventure.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

IIRC, one of these choice is an insta-fail, though an interesting one, and the book wants us to go see the new army, so go east.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Note: updates will be slower than usual during the first week or so, since I'm still recovering from some sequela from the double-infections.
You are sitting at a table with the five nobles, eating a fine meal to fortify you as they gave you your final briefing. They are being waited on by their own servants, while Carolina has assigned one of her pages to take care of you. Madhaerios warns yo against taking any incautious action yourself. "It is most important that you return to tell us of the nature of this menace so that we may know how best to defend against it," he explains. While Dunyazad is in the middle of advising you to rest at the Temple of Fourga, you feel a light touch on your leg. You look around and see the page who was waiting upon you walking away. Looking down into your lap you see a folded fragment of paper. The page must have dropped this as he refilled your goblet. If you pick up to read it straight away, turn to 264. If you slip it into your pocket to read later, turn to 23.
Should we read the note now?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Pocket it and read discreetly later.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, read it later.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to read it later.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Read it later.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Pocketing the scrap, you listen attentively as Dunyazad suggests that you stick to the roads. Though they will carry you a roundabout way, they will be far quicker than chancing a ride across country. When you have left the table and are alone, you examine the scrap of paper. It reads: "Beware - you are watched by a thousand eyes."
You are led straight down to the stables to choose your horse. While you are preparing to leave, tall Sige approaches. Her voice is low, almost inaudible, and you understand how she came to be called 'the Silent'. She tells you that she has a valuable magical item which will aid you on your journey and bring you the luck of the gods. It is a pomander of rare herbs - if worn around your neck it will also remove your need for sleep. It is passed up to you by Sige's servant, a poor deformed creature who shuffles slowly and wears a hood, no doubt to hide his piteously ugly face. Sige quietly wishes you a safe and fruitful journey. Bundling together your possessions, you hurry into the bustling courtyard. With no time for ceremony, you mount your steed and pick your way through the crowd to the gate. A swift ride along the Way of Flint brings you to Kallamehr's Grant Gate.
So did we just received a permanent dose of coffee that is worn instead of drunk?
You ride until nightfall. Although you are eager to press on, your horse is tired, and it would be too dangerous to continue in the darkness. You dismount and prepare for a night to be spent in the open. Tick off a time box. If you have Sige's pomander, turn to 63. If not, turn to 367.
And already we're checked for our anti-sleep fragrance sachet!
You tether your horse and see to her feed. Lighting small fire for protection, you settle yourself down for the night. Hours pass as you settle yourself down for the night. Hours pass as you gaze up at the constellations above you. You remember Sige explaining her pomander's powers to arrest sleep. You are grateful for its properties when you observe several stealthy forms approaching. You lie still, feigning sleep, your hand inches from your sword-hilt. If you wait until they are nearly upon you before attacking, turn to 214. If you leap up before they advance further, turn to 348.
How do we deal with the ambush?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 17/17
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword of Fangthane steel, leather armour, Sige's Pomander
Gold & Treasure: 5 GP
Time remaining: 19/20 (turn to 57 when crossing off 18th time unit, and to 326 when crossing off the last time unit)
[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Hmm. It would be more dramatic to wait until they're nearly upon us, so let's do that.

I also suspect we're going to suffer from sleep deprivation if we use that pomander for too long, but we'll deal with that later.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to leap up before they advance further, as we do not want our hero to get surrounded, as it is not a guarantee that the element of surprise would help mitigate that.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Wait until they are nearly upon us.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Wait for it...
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There are three dark shapes. As they creep into the firelight you see that they are Black Elves. Two of them begin to go through your baggage, while the third approaches you warily. Choosing your moment with care, you wait until the Elf is bending over you before acting. Your sword sweeps in a wide arc, coming to a juddering halt in his side. He crumples and you leap to your feet, jerking your sword from the lifeless body. The other two Elves turn with a yelp, dropping your possessions.
I'm not sure exactly which possessions they were holding, since we were holding our sword, wearing the pomander and presumably still wearing our armour. I guess they were just going through our food?
You must fight the other two Elves.

Second BLACK ELF SKILL 7 STAMINA 6
Third BLACK ELF SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

Fight both the Elves at the same time. Each will make a separate attack on your during each Attack Round, but you must choose which of the two you will fight. Fight your nominated target as in a normal battle. Against the other, throw the dice for your Attack Strength in the normal way, but you will just have parried its blow. Of course, if its Attack Strength is greater, it will have wounded you in the normal way. If you defeat the Elves, turn to 311.
Their stats are identical, so it doesn't matter whom we target first, so I'd just start with the one on top.

COMBAT LOG:
Black Elf#2 14, PC 21. BE2 is at 4.
Black Elf#3 11, PC 22. BE3 misses.
BE2 13, PC 22. BE2 is at 2.
BE3 14, PC 20. BE3 misses.
BE2 14, PC 21. BE2 is killed.
BE3 12, PC 19. BE3 misses.
BE3 13, PC 22. BE3 is at 4.
BE3 12, PC 19. BE3 is at 2.
BE3 13, PC 21. BE3 is killed.

Despite the numbers disadvantage, we got an easy flawless victory.
You search the bodies of the Elves, discovering 17 Gold Pieces and a golden statuette in the shape of a fist. The fingers are clenched around something that rattles as you pick up the golden trophy. Try as you might, you cannot unclench the fingers to reveal what lies within.
The rest of the night passes uneventfully, and with the morning you resume your journey. The leagues stretch on, and yo see a range of mountains in the distance ahead of you. You pass through several villages, and are surprised at the surly reactions of the villagers. As you pass them you hear them muttering under their breath, and when you stop to refill your water-bottle, they do their best to ignore you. The sun is low in the sky when you enter the small town of Hasrah, in which lies the Temple of Fourga. You could travel a few more hours if you wished, but you would have to spend another night in the open. Tick off a time box. If you ride on, turn to 26. If you seek hospitality at the Temple of Fourga, turn to 4.
Well, Dunyazad did recommend the Temple for our refuge. Do we take her advice?

(Also, if there are no further suggestions for our hero's name by the next update, we will go with the sole suggestion of naming him Dastan.)

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 17/17
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword of Fangthane steel, leather armour, Sige's Pomander, Golden Fist Statuette
Gold & Treasure: 22 GP
Time remaining: 18/20 (turn to 57 when crossing off 18th time unit, and to 326 when crossing off the last time unit)
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

To the temple, no opinion as to name.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Dastan's fine.

Ride on.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to seek hospitality at the Temple of Fourga.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm in favor of riding on.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'll change my vote to a half vote to avoid a tie.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Riding on wins by half a vote.

You have been riding for several hours when you are forced to rein in by a battered fellow who staggers on to the road ahead of you and collapse in a heap. You dismount to see what the trouble is. Between gasps, he tells you his misfortune: "I, the legendary Tasbadh, doer of mighty deeds, slayer of Evil, and seeker of truths, find myself staring Death full in the face. I should never have incurred the wrath of the Dark Jester by seeking to foil his evil plottings. 'Tis true, I levelled his palace and banished his warped minions from this plane, Yet a fool I was to believe this would truly vanquish one so steeped in Evil. Even as I was making my way from the ruins, his tentacles of malice were reaching out to envelope me. Through the greatest love of my life, whom I trusted implicitly, he wrought his foul revenge. A Death Spell is pulsing through my sinews, and even my iron constitution cannot resist it much longer. My only hope is the Healer of Gebaan, but I cannot go on without food - and even then the Healer has his price and I have no money. That I, Keeper of the Fabled Fortune of Foraznak, should die for want of four Gold Pieces!" HIs head sinks wearily upon his shoulders, and he sobs. Tick off a time box. Will you:

Give him the money and Provisions he craves?
Leave him to his fate and ride on?
Question him further?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Dastan
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 17/17
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword of Fangthane steel, leather armour, Sige's Pomander, Golden Fist Statuette
Gold & Treasure: 22 GP
Time remaining: 17/20 (turn to 57 when crossing off 18th time unit, and to 326 when crossing off the last time unit)
[/spoiler]