[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 49 - Siege of Sardath

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 49 - Siege of Sardath

Post by SGamerz »

And this is the last of the series that I particularly want to run. (This doesn't mean I'm completely done with the FF books LP for good, it depends on whether I can come up with an appropriate way to make them more playable.)

Back cover blurb:
"For centuries the balance of the Forest of Night has been preserved by mankind and nature alike. Now a dark enemy has appeared to threaten the uneasy peace. Terrible creatures stalk the forest and the ancient Elf paths are closed. No news has come from the distant city of Sardath for weeks. In the isolated town of Grimmund, on the very edge of the looming forest, the townsfolk can bear it no longer. Some brave adventurer - YOU! - must journey into the Forest of Night, and beyond, to find the source of the evil and the way to defeat it!"
The PC of this book has slight more of a background than the average generic adventurer, as revealed in the beginning of the introduction:
As an adventurer in the Forest of the Night in north-east Allansia, you are renowned for your skill with sword and bow, and for your knowledge of the Forest. In fact, the people of Grimmund rely on you to protect them from the many dangers that exist in this wild region.
It's kind of vague here, but it reveals that it's someone who's based in a specific region rather than spend most of his time travelling the rest of the world/continent. In fact, in the introduction, it's revealed that he's a member of the Council Chamber of the Grimmund Town Hall.

Grimmund is the town on the south end of this map, which shows the setting of this adventure:

While going through the rules of the game, bits and pieces of the background also comes through. The PC is apparently also something of a forest ranger, and good friends with the Elves in the Forest of Night (one of them in particular, named Sorrel, who taught him to use a bow, and also gave him the leather armour and helped make the bow that are part of his starting equipment). He also has some kind of friendship with the Dwarves of Sardath, who forged a sword for him.

But let's just get though the general rules first:

Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.[/spoiler]

Combat:
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

Most of the new stuff in this book involve our Starting Equipment, which, other than the standard sword and leather armour, also include a bow, as mentioned earlier, and also bundles of herbs instead of provisions.

Herbs are pretty much treated like Provisions, except more realistic, each bundle restoring 4 STAMINA, We only start with 5, though.

The Bow can be used before battle if the text tells us so. It will also tell us how many shots we are able to get off before the enemy closes in. Each bow shot is basically a SKILL test. rolling less than or equal to it means we hit and inflict 2 STAMINA points of damage to our opponent.

We can use LUCK for Bow shots, but it's a bit different from hand-to-hand combat: if we miss, we can Test our Luck to correct it. If we're Lucky, the arrow hits after all. If we're Unlucky, our bowstring breaks (and we therefore lose any extra shots that we may otherwise have), and we will only be able to fix it after the combat is over.

Our quiver can hold up to 6 arrows, and that's the amount we start with. We also start with 15 Gold Pieces.

It is also specifically mentioned in the Equipment section that if we ever lose our sword, we will need to deduct 2 from our Attack Strength during battles until finding a replacement.

The one other special rule for this book is, again Time. We don't have as many as 20 time units this time, though. We have 7, although technically each unit probably lasts longer, since it's 7 days of the week. We need to accomplish our objective within the week, and the book will be telling us to mark off days. The Adventure Sheet actually lists the names of the 7 week days in Titan: Stomsday, Moonsday, Fireday, Earthday, Windsday, Seaday and Highday.

House rules: Stats assignment, and extra lives

This book is hard but not necessarily the toughest in terms of stat requirement. Like the last LP, this one's difficulty is more in terms of finding the hidden true path, and the complexity of the design is close enough to rival Creature of Havoc. But since it doesn't necessarily require sky-high stats, I'm taking a more flexible approach.

First, we do what we've done for the past few LPs: I roll 4 dice for stats, and players can vote to assign each to SKILL, STAMINA or LUCK.

With regards to extra lives/chances, by default we will start with 1 extra chance per day. But for each extra point we do not assign to our stats we, we can trade it for an additional extra chance per day. So if I roll 4 sixes, we have 24 points to assign, but we may choose to remove 1 point from each of the dices and assign to extra lives per day, so we get 3 extra chances instead of one while only spending only 22 points on stats. However, you cannot sacrifice more than half of the points on each die (so if I roll a 3 on 1 die, you may only take 1 point out of that to assign to extra lives).

Yeah, probably overcomplicated/convoluted, but like the last book, this one doesn't have any underdeveloped or redundant mechanism that I can exploit, and I wanted to implement something relatively flexible (sacrificing stat points may increase the chance of you dying by combat or failed stat tests, but at the same time it grants you extra chances to try again).

Potentially having up to 20+ extra lives may look over-generous compared to the last book, but that only happens if I roll 4 sixes, which I doubt will happen. And note that unlike the last book, I'm not auto-rewinding to the true path for each failure. The players choose where he wishes to rewind to. If they wish to be told where was the last time they got off the true path, they need to sacrifice 3 extra chances.

Ok, that's it for both the official rules and the house rules. Now, we'll start with rolling to see how many points we get to assign:

Dice rolls = 5, 3, 2 & 4.

Please assign the above dice to your stats and decide if you wish to sacrifice any points for extra chances before I continue.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 49 - Siege of Sardath

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Oooh, Siege of Sardath is one of the better books out there, as this is one of the few books that immediately puts the hero in a fight.

Okay, I vote to give our character 11 Skill, 10 Luck, and 15 Stamina, which will leave us 2 points to sacrifice for extra chances, which gives our hero a total of 3 extra chances to start out with. I also vote to name our character Quincey Morris, and to fight the creature with all our might in order to get back the ring that it stole from us when the story begins.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I don't think I've ever heard of this one.

Anyway, I like JourneymanNoob's distribution of dice, though I don't have a strong opinion on how many points to sacrifice.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Personally, as a ranger who already has a reputation before what is presumably going to be our greatest heroic adventure I suggest we name our character either Strider or Aragorn. For a compromise perhaps Quincey Strider, or Strider Morris?

As for gameplay choices I think JourneymanNoob's are pretty solid.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Re name: there are many other rangers to choose from. I propose Smokey Rick
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I propose the name Walker Texas. I have no comment regarding stats.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

I'll vote for Strider.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

How about Quincey Walker Strider for a consensus name?
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Eh, we just had a Strider in the weird cyberpunk dystopia playthrough. I find Walker Texas to be the most amusing, and cast my vote there.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There's some sense of déjà vu as once again the everyone is more focused on the less-essential issue of name over stats assignment. :biggrin: But at least I got 1 supporting vote for the 1 idea suggested for assignment this time, so I can proceed. There are currently a lot of suggestions for names, so I'd let the players dwell on them longer before deciding (and make a poll if required).

A CURIOUS MESSENGER:
The cold air stings your throat as you desperately draw it into your lungs; the forest trail streaks past beneath your thundering feet. When you look over your shoulder, all you can see are the malevolent fir trees and the dark forest closing in behind you, so you run even harder to get away.

Suddenly the trees are gone, and you find yourself standing before a huge, isolated mountain. As you watch, a great fissure opens up in its side, and darkness pours from within, starting the snow with its evil. Slowly, the gloom forms itself into an army of jet-black soldiers who surge towards you. In the blinking of an eye, you are engulfed.

You awaken with a start, dispelling the nightmare. A Council messenger is standing over you. "I am sorry to have woken you up," he says. "A traveller has just arrived, and Grissa has called an emergency Council meeting."

A short time later, you take your place in the Council Chamber of the Grimmund Town Hall. Grissa, the Council Leader, stands up. "This," she says, indicating a rather travel-worn man siting beside her, "is Morn Preeler, an adventurer from Zengis. He has informed me that our fears are true - it is the Forest which has cut us off from Sardath. All those trying to get through have either been forced to turn back or have died in the attempt." And with tht, Grissa sits down.

Morn Preeler rises to explain. "The Wood Elves have had to abandon the Elf paths because they have been invaded by trees and spanned by the webs of Giant Spiders. And, due to the spawning of all manner of horrific monsters and the rising of Slykk armies, killing indiscriminately, the river has become impassable."

Grissa stands up again. "I think it is clear that the only way to protect ourselves is to fight this evil in any way we can. Even if it means burning some of the Forest."

"You cannot do this!" you shout in sudden anger. Everybody looks at you in surprise. "I have travelled the Forest all my life. It is a dark and fearsome place; they paths are kept open by hard work and diligence alone. But it is a place in balance. It is no good declaring war on the Forest. Have you forgotten that it supplies you with your livelihoods? You should regard it as your friend." Berend, one of the older Councillors, looks at you bitterly, his mouth twisted from the after-effects of Spider poison. You remain undaunted. "Even the Giant Spiders and the troublesome Slykk are a part of that balance. Do you think for one moment that the Slykk would cut off the river when our trading boats are their primary source of weapons and luxuries from the west?"

What do you say has happened, then?" shouts Tharborn.

"It is a new and much darker enemy that threatens us. I am not yet sure what it is, but I do know that it is neither the Forest nor any of its inhabitants. We have lived in the Forest for centuries and have ourselves become part of the balance. The Wood Elves and people like Colryhn and myself have made sure of that." You pause. "No. Something alien to this part of Allansia is doing this."

"I think you are deluding yourself with these ideas of a dark enemy." says Grissa. "We all know how much you love the Forest. Perhaps this love is clouding your judgement. If you had heard Morn's story, you would understand."

"If I may," says Morn Preeler to Grissa, "I think it would be fruitful for me to tell my story to the Honourable Councillor. As a fellow adventurer, I believe he will understand what I have see." When Grissa hesitates, he continues, "Perhaps it would save the Council time if I were to brief the Councillor in another room?"

"An excellent idea," says Grissa. She looks at you and gestures towards the door.

Somewhat sullenly you ask Morn to follow you. He picks up his pack, slings it across his back, and respectfully takes his leave of the Council. You lead him along the empty corridors and up two flights of stairs to the Council Recess Chamber. Opposite the door is a large window. It id dark outside and, when Morn sees his reflection, he flinches, You shrug inwardly and sit down on one of the comfortable chairs. Your pack is virtually empty, so you don't bother to take it off. Your bow and arrows are a little bulky, however, so you unsling them and put them down beside the chair. "Now then, Morn," you say, "let's hear your story."

"It's quite simple," he says, sidling across to you. "When I was travelling through the Forest, I was accosted and killed by a powerful creature. He then assumed my form and came here in order to kill the only person left in the Forest who had any chance of thwarting the plans of his people!"

Turn to 1.
You sit there for a moment, stunned and bewildered by what Morn has just said. It is only when he grabs your finger that you realize you are in danger. You leap to your feet, but Morn jumps backwards out of your way.

"And now that I have your Council Ring," he says, "I will be able to impersonate you and persuade the Grimmund Council to take their people into the Forest, where they will surely die." You edge towards him cautiously, not sure what magic he is armed with. As you do so, a sinister transformation takes place. The back of his tunic bulges, then tears as two huge, bat-like wings burst forth. He stretches them wide and takes a step forward, holding up his arms as if calling on a great power; slowly they change to a jet-black colour, his hands becoming fierce talons. "On your own you might have made it through the Forest alive, armed as you are with knowledge and wit. But now it is too late." He reaches out to attack you. Will you draw your sword and fight him or dodge out of his way and run?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: ??
SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 15/15
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, bow, quiver, Council Signet Ring
Arrows: 6
Bundles of Herbs: 5
Gold: 15 GP
Day of the Week:
Stomsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Moonsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Fireday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Earthday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Windsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Seaday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Highday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
[/spoiler]
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will reinforce my vote to draw our hero's sword and fight the monster to get the Council Ring back.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Draw our sword and fight him. I don't remember much of this one, but I do remember what JourneymanN00b remembers.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Agreed, fight him. Running will probably give him a chance to get the better of us while our back is to him.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"Die, then, human," says the mutating creature, "and seal the fate for all your race." (If you have already fought Morn with your sword, his STAMINA score may be less than that given.)

MORN PREELER SKILL 7 STAMINA 8

Whenever Morn loses an Attack Round, roll two dice. If the total is less than or equal to his STAMINA, continue the fight. If it is greater, roll one die. If this number too is greater than his STAMINA, turn to 155. If it is less than or equal to his STAMINA, turn to 196. If you win the fight, turn to 249.
I normally don't stop to ask about using LUCK in combat when the opponent's stats are clearly not threatening to us, but here, there seems to be a lot of things that can potentially be triggered when his STAMINA gets lowered, so I will pause here to see if the players which to use LUCK to increase damage and speed up this battle.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to use Luck when Morn Preeler's Stamina gets to 4 in order to try to deal 4 damage as the finishing blow.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.

And, we have to preserve the balance of the forest ala Dragonlance or the Star Wars prequels? Bleh.

(Suggest Quincey Stridemoore as name)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Btw, Morn Preeler(or rather, his imposter)'s picture has been added to the above post.
Thaluikhain wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 am
And, we have to preserve the balance of the forest ala Dragonlance or the Star Wars prequels? Bleh.
I don't know, it sounds to me like just a politically-correct way to tell our fellow councilors: DON'T BE IDIOTS AND GO DECLARE WAR ON CREATURES JUST BECAUSE YOU BLAME THEM FOR SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T DO! ESPECIALLY WHEN SAID CREATURES WILL BITE, POISON AND EAT YOU WHEN YOU PROVOKE THEM FOR STUPID REASONS!

But we're a councilor, and that's like a political position of sorts, so we need to form our argument using the the proper etiquette.

COMBAT LOG:
Morn Preeler 12, PC 14. MP is at 6.
Dice roll = 9 (above MP's STAMINA).
Single die roll = 6 (equal to MP's STAMINA).
Your sword slices into Morn's side and he staggers backwards. You move towards him and raise your sword to strike him again. However, instead of slashing at you with his talons, he makes a dive for you. Roll two dice. If the total is greater than your SKILL, he grabs you round the waist, bringing you to the ground with a thud and forcing you to let go of your sword. If the total is less than or equal to your SKILL, then you see the attack coming and manage to dodge nimbly out of his way. He turns and raises his talons. Turn back to 381 and continue the fight.
Dice roll = 9. We pass the roll and continue the combat.

COMBAT LOG:
MP 18, PC 20. MP is at 4.
Dice roll = 5 (above MP's STAMINA)
Single die roll = 2 (below MP's STAMINA).
Preeler makes another dive attack at us.
Dice roll = 6 (we pass the stat test again).
MP 10, PC 18. Luck test roll = 7 (Lucky!) MP is defeated!
Now that he is dead, you look at the body of the mutated imposter. In some ways, it is familiar: like a Dark Elf, perhaps; in others it is like nothing you have ever seen. You retrieve your Council Ring and then search through his belongings. His pack contains 5 Gold Pieces and three small bottles. They are labelled: '1: Dried Chameleonite Blood', '2: Condensed Mist from the Mithrir Forest', and '7: Pickled Whole Shapechanger Brain'. They are clearly components of some magical process, but you don't know what. You pick up your bow and arrows and return to the Council Chamber.
Grissa reconvenes the Council to discuss what you are going to do. The Councilors listen in respectful silence while you tell them about the imposter. "Now you have no choice but to believe in my dark enemy. I would love to march through the Forest with an army and wipe this enemy out, but Morn told me himself that this is precisely what he came here to achieve. The Forest is now so contaminated with evil that we would never make it through." The Council members accept your plan to go alone but insist that you wait for daylight and use the few remaining hour of darkness to recuperate. Grissa sends you some food and a Healer to tend any wounds you may have (regain up to 6 STAMINA points).

Once the sun is up (tick off the first day on your Adventure Sheet), you gather together your equipment and leave the Council Hall. Most of the Councilors have gone to their beds after all-night discussions, but Grissa is there to see you off. She gives you a four-leaf clover. "For luck," she says. You thank her and say farewell. If you visit the town astrologer before leaving Grimmund, turn to 231. Otherwise, turn to 390.
The instruction to tick off days can be potentially misleading when the book later checks us for which day it is. For this book, "ticking off" time doesn't mean the specified day has expired, but rather marks the start of that day. The story started on Highday night, and now we're officially on Stormsday (which will be bolded in the Adventure Sheet below).'

Regarding potential failures and rewinds, any rewinds to prior this point of the story will use up one of the 3 extra chances.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: ??
SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 15/15
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, bow, quiver, Council Signet Ring, 1: Dried Chameleonite Blood, 2: Condensed Mist from the Mithrir Forest, 7: Pickled Whole Shapechanger Brain, Four-leaf Clover
Arrows: 6
Bundles of Herbs: 5
Gold: 20 GP
Day of the Week:
Stormsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Moonsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Fireday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Earthday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Windsday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Seaday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
Highday (3/3 extra lives remaining)
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Visit astrologer.

(Also, if the forest is contaminated with evil, burning some of it doesn't seem outrageous. If the elves have made paths they had to clear some parts of the forest as well)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:57 pm
If the elves have made paths they had to clear some parts of the forest as well)
Nah, Elves probably talked to the trees and politely asked them to clear out of the way and move somewhere else.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to visit the astrologer. Might as well get as much information as possible.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, visit the astrologer.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Think this is the first FF book where the “go and beat up the fantasy creatures who’ve been doing shit in the forest” has been observed to be a rather short sighted and close minded course of action, rather than the basis of the adventure.

Also, I’ll throw in my lot with Walker Texas because it’s been long enough since Chuck Norris memes have been in vogue for a Chuck Norris reference to be funny again.

Anyways, go to the astrologer.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I'd rather vote for Quincey Stridemoore as our hero's name over Walker Texas, as the former name sounds cooler here.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

I'll vote for Quincey Stridemoore if it's that or Walker Texas.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Third vote for Q. S.