Give me a non-Tolkien setting

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dogbert
Duke

Give me a non-Tolkien setting

Post by Dogbert »

Give me magical TVs and murderhobos as rockstars and whimsy and otherwise fantasy settings that take don't take themselves seriously. Crap in the vein of Dragon Half and Fairy Tail. If it's a system-agnostic setting book, all the better.

So, any recommendations?
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Re: Give me a non-Tolkien setting

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

I've recently been running a home brew setting based on a dumping ground world for grey alien kidnappings and genetic experiments which combines a mix of disparate human historical elements with alien powers that can cause dangerous alien insanity. And alien insanity that can be objectively tested for by the locally developed "Test of Human Soul" which is to play music at things.

Which is why I've been running a setting where a party of dark ages mercenaries and their big headed telekinetic witch might enter a walled settlement, be confronted by ancient Greek hoplite guards, and then have to sit through the guards performing a folk musical cover of "The Safety Dance" before they are deemed safe to allow entry to.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Is it classical music? Do the aliens' heads explode?

In the same vein of tooting one's own horn, gempunks has a setting with portal cities and medieval train stations and undead politics where priests compete to resurrect whichever famous ancient leader they like best.

Wait... System agnostic setting book with random gonzo nonsense...? Have you heard of... Tome?
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Foxwarrior wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 am
Wait... System agnostic setting book with random gonzo nonsense...? Have you heard of... Tome?
The Steam videogame?
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

Foxwarrior wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 am
Is it classical music? Do the aliens' heads explode?
The song may be thousands of years old, or may have been introduced in the local music hall/fortified anti-wild hunt bunker last week with the arrival of the original artist himself.

The key thing is that if they don't dance then they're no friends of mine.

That and whether the Hoplites have relic post space colonization age Synth Guitars or contemporary locally manufactured wooden Bouzoukis and how many of them also have Tambourines. There are a lot of Tambourines around. Green ones indicate the user is part of a dangerous occultists movement.

If anyone starts break dancing they are PROBABLY a cyborg the metal undead.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Aren't the vast majority of settings, in fact, non-Tolkien?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I recommend Xcrawl.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Thirsty Sword Lesbians comes with half a dozen settings that are nothing like LotR.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.