[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 53 – Spellbreaker

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 53 – Spellbreaker

Post by SGamerz »

If the final goal is to the west, then we should go south now so that we can fully explore every bit of the book before moving on to the next plot point, because that's how almost all FF books in this range works, and Jonathan Green adhered to that in the early days.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That makes sense, wander randomly south.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes tallied, Ariel Faust Constantine will set off to the south, as that won over setting off to the west by a 2-1 vote.

Leaving the bustling market, you walk past all kinds of shops and houses. Passing by an alleyway, you notice a figure, covered from head to foot in rags, lying face down in the shadows. It could either be just a drunk or someone in genuine distress who has possibly been robbed. Do you want to help the person (turn to 71), or will you hurry past (turn to 126)?

Please make your votes before 4:00 PM PST to be sure that they will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Help the person.

Instead of someone in distress the other possibility isn't a trap or something, but "just a drunk". Hmm.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, help them.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Help them out.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Help.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; Ariel Faust Constantine will help the person.

As you approach, the figure remains perfectly still. You turn the body over and are shocked to see that the man’s face is covered in red, inflamed blotches, as are his hands. The man slowly opens his eyes and says, ‘Stranger, if you are going to rob me I cannot stop you; but you will be for ever cursed, for I have the plague.’ If you still want to help the man by giving him some of your Provisions, turn to 168. Otherwise, turn to 126.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to be sure that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Give him Provisions. And possibly more.
Queen of Swords
Prince

We only have 5 Provisions, so hopefully we can get more. Give him one.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Feed the sick guy.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Giving the man some of her Provisions received 3 votes, so Ariel Faust Constantine will do that.

The man manages to eat a single portion of your Provisions (cross this off your Adventure Sheet). ‘Thank you, my friend,’ he croaks, ‘but in helping me you have put yourself at great risk.’ You assume the man has come to Hallow’s Well to be cured of the plague. He confirms this and adds, ‘It took me two days to reach here because of my condition, but I fear it may already be too late. Others from my village set out as well but could not get even this far.’ You press the man for more information and he explains that five days ago a shadowy stranger arrived at the village of Aryll. However, the villagers were more concerned at what the stranger brought with him – rats! Hundreds of the creatures swarmed into the village, invading cellars and sewers, and with them they brought the plague! Some of those infected set off for Hallow’s Well, but this man is probably the sole survivor. ‘Leave me now, stranger,’ says the man, ‘but, if you can, save Aryll.’ With these words, the man staggers to his feet and, ever so slowly, continues on his way. Turn to 126.

Leaving the man behind you, you follow the street as it opens into a small square, where all manner of entertainers, from jugglers to fire-eaters, are putting on a show for the crowds. At one corner of the square you notice that a rather drab-looking tent, patched in many places, has been erected. Beside the tent, a faded painted sign informs you that the next puppet show will begin in just a few minutes. The entrance is a Gold Piece. If you want to watch the performance, turn to 4. If you would rather make your way towards the South Gate, turn to 157.

Since Ariel Faust Constantine is completely broke, she will make her way towards the South Gate.

Have you spoken to the man from Aryll? If you have, turn to 22; if you have not, turn to 187.

Ariel Faust Constantine has spoken to the man from Aryll.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you leave the entertainers’ square, you pass a man sitting crosslegged on the ground beside the road. He is wearing a cloak, his face hidden by the hood, and perched on one shoulder is a black rat. The man is playing the pipes and some passers-by have thrown coins into a basket in front of him. As you walk past the piper, the tune he is playing suddenly changes and your head begins to spin: the music is having a hypnotic effect on you. Test your Skill. If you succeed, turn to 199. If you fail, turn to 133.

Rolling the dice yielded an 8, which means that Ariel Faust Constantine has succeeded in passing the Skill test, to nobody’s surprise.

By pure strength of will you break the mesmerizing power of the music. You approach the piper but the man jumps to his feet and the rat leaps from his shoulder, straight at you. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, the rat sinks its teeth harmlessly into your leather armour; turn to 377. If you are Unlucky, turn to 257.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rolling the dice yielded a 9, meaning that Ariel Faust Constantine was Lucky, to nobody’s surprise.

You drag the piper’s pet off you and crush it underfoot. The man hisses with anger and, dropping the charmed pipes, pulls out a dagger from a sheath on his belt. As he runs at you, you can see the fury in his eyes, glaring from under the hood, and is rat-like features! You draw your sword to defend yourself.

PIPER       SKILL 8       STAMINA 7

If you win, turn to 120.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Piper Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Piper Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Piper Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Piper Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Piper Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Piper Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 24
Round 4: Piper Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Piper Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 22
Round 5: Piper Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Piper Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 22
Round 6: Piper Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Piper Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 22[/spoiler]

The Piper scores a single lucky blow of 2 Stamina damage before Ariel Faust Constantine slaughters him.

Looking down at the piper’s crumpled body, you notice his pipes lying next to him. Blowing into the pipes, they begin to play a tune all by themselves. You also see that the man is wearing an amulet round his neck in the shape of the Crescent Moon. If you take the Charmed Pipes or the Crescent Moon Amulet, make a note on your Adventure Sheet. Hearing a shout coming from the direction of the South Gate, you look up to see three of the town militia running towards you. If they catch you, you will doubtless be tried for murder – although you have saved the whole town from the plague! Do you want to face the militiamen (turn to 269), or would you rather try and outrun them (turn to 222)?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Important Note: The Wizard publication gives the player the option of surrendering to the militiamen under similar situations within Hallow’s Well. However, this option is not provided in either edition in this scenario. Given the intent of Wizard Books in their alterations of this book, I will make available the option for Ariel Faust Constantine to give herself up to the militiamen, who will drag her off to a nearby blockhouse upon doing so. If we take this option, we would turn to paragraph 25.

Please make your votes on whether to take the Charmed Pipes or the Crescent Moon Amulet and what to do next before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Ariel Faust Constantine
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 22 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 11 Initial Luck = 12
FAITH: 8
GOLD PIECES: 0
PROVISIONS: 4
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Aramance
Silver Key With ‘252’ Engraved
Shroud
Falcon
Protective Leather Gauntlet
Scarlet Lady
Drake Nettle
Heal-all (restores Skill and Stamina to Initial levels and +2 Luck)
Ilithorn Rose
Phoenix Grass
Notes:
Knows Demonic Word of Command
Say ‘One, two, away’ to send a falcon with SKILL 7 STAMINA 5 against an opponent
RESURRECTIONS: 4[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'd rather not take anything potentially evil/dangerous.

Also, outrun the militia.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I think the fact that the GM made a special edit to make it possible to surrender here means that it probably leads to something important or even essential, so I vote to surrender.

Also, take the Charmed Pipes. We may need it to save Aryll, if the plague was brought by this guy's rats.
Queen of Swords
Prince

SGamerz wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:18 pm
Also, take the Charmed Pipes. We may need it to save Aryll, if the plague was brought by this guy's rats.
Good point. I'll change my vote to taking the pipes.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Surrender and take the pipes.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

After counting the votes, it looks like Ariel Faust Constantine will surrender to the militiamen over trying to outrun them by a 2-1 vote, and take the Charmed Pipes, since that won by a 3-0 vote.

The door slams shut behind you and you hear several heavy bolts grate ominously into place. The cell beneath the blockhouse is cold and damp. The only illumination comes from a tiny, barred window at street-level, high out of reach. ‘At last, someone to talk to.’ Startled by the voice, you peer into the gloom at the back of the cell. Sitting in the corner, dressed in old rags, is a filthy old man with long, wild, grey hair. ‘Old Gerald ‘ere ran out of things to talk about years ago,’ says the man, pointing to the wall opposite. There, hanging from rusted manacles, is a skeleton, yellow with age. ‘I’m Cynric. They call me the Mad Beggar.’ The old man certainly appears to be mad, so you turn your attention to finding a way of escape. Looking through the small grille in the door, you can see that your backpack and sword have been left on a table in the chamber beyond your cell. Other grilled doors open off this main chamber, with a flight of spiral stone steps leading up to the rooms at street-level. The chamber appears to be unattended. ‘If yer wanting to leave so soon, I might just be able to ‘elp yer,’ says Cynric. If you accept the mad beggar’s help, turn to 106. If you would rather find a way out yourself, turn to 30.

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PST to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Ariel Faust Constantine
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 22 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 11 Initial Luck = 12
FAITH: 8
GOLD PIECES: 0
PROVISIONS: 4
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Aramance
Silver Key With ‘252’ Engraved
Shroud
Falcon
Protective Leather Gauntlet
Scarlet Lady
Drake Nettle
Heal-all (restores Skill and Stamina to Initial levels and +2 Luck)
Ilithorn Rose
Phoenix Grass
Charmed Pipes
Notes:
Knows Demonic Word of Command
Say ‘One, two, away’ to send a falcon with SKILL 7 STAMINA 5 against an opponent
RESURRECTIONS: 4[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Accept his help.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Accept his help.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; Ariel Faust Constantine will accept the mad beggar's help.

The old man chuckles to himself. ‘If yer want me ‘elp’, he says, ‘first you must answer me riddle.’ Do you want to hear the riddle (turn to 151), or will you ignore such foolish games and try to escape (turn to 30)?

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to be sure that they will be counted.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hear his riddle.
Queen of Swords
Prince

As long as the riddle doesn't involve his pocketses, I'm game.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Hear riddle, I guess.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; Ariel Faust Constantine will hear the riddle.

‘Right,’ says Cynric. ‘If yer get me riddle, I’ll ‘elp yer get out.’ He looks at the skeleton. ‘Mind, Gerald, you keep quiet. I don’t want no cheatin’. Now, ‘ere’s me riddle.

I am the jailer’s strong right arm,
     I set the prisoner free.
     I keep fast the treasure hoard,
     But all doors will open to me.’

If you know the answer to Cynric’s riddle, take each letter of the answer and add together the numbers corresponding to those letter’s places in the alphabet. Then turn to the paragraph with the same number as the total of the letters. If you cannot solve the beggar’s riddle, you will have to find another means of escape (turn to 30).

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PST to be sure that they will be counted.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Sounds like key, which would be 11+5+25=41