[Spellbound] Alpha Questionnaire

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

merxa
Master

[Spellbound] Alpha Questionnaire

Post by merxa »

Normally I've been creating topics in the busier forum (IMHO), generally I've justified this because many of the mechanics in spellbound are works in progress which have undergone vast changes and are hopefully informative or interesting in a general sense. However, spellbound is taking shape and is closer to being a usable system which is less open to drastic changes, all of which feels like the homebrew subforum makes for a more appropriate home for discussion.

I really have appreciated everyone's feedback so far, agreeable or not, it all does help inform my intentions and influence my work. Recently, I've been mostly writing rules for character creation with the expectation of having a playable alpha to test, and it has been much harder than expected. Part of the difficulty has been providing support for what can feel like a endless stream of concepts, not entirely surprising as much of rpg design seems to center around splat for PCs. To that end, I made a short questionnaire in hopes of ensuring the alpha has enough meat to be playable. If you have a few minutes, please take a look at the questions and provide any feedback you can.

1. Describe your character concept in a sentence.
2. What’s your primary means of damage at levels 1 and 2?
3. Describe a special attack ability you have at levels 1 and 2.
4. Describe a special defensive ability you have at levels 1 and 2.
5. Describe some utility you have outside of combat at levels 1 and 2.

And again, I appreciate any and all feedback, and if anyone has any interest in becoming more involved please let me know here or via direct message.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Re: [Spellbound] Alpha Questionnaire

Post by Foxwarrior »

Okay, why not, I'll describe the wacky build I did for my latest D&D character as though it was a concept:
1. A big muscular guy who uses telekinesis to grab things with his enormous muscles from a distance.
2. He grabs people from a distance and throws them about. Or at least shoves them a little.
3. He could knock things off of high shelves onto someone's head.
4. Why not shove things reactively? Shoving is a great trick.
5. Holding things up so his friends can walk on them.

But really, why not just look at action movies and steal every character in them? Plenty of character concepts people like over there.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Is there a genre for spellbound? I'd hate to describe a drug addled psychic space mechanic in a dnd clone.
merxa
Master

Post by merxa »

pragma wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 pm
Is there a genre for spellbound? I'd hate to describe a drug addled psychic space mechanic in a dnd clone.
Spellbound is a generic fantasy RPG that is very much a work in progress, any of the threads labeled [Spellbound] in IMHO will go into various mechanical details.
Foxwarrior wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:20 am
Okay, why not, I'll describe the wacky build I did for my latest D&D character as though it was a concept:
1. A big muscular guy who uses telekinesis to grab things with his enormous muscles from a distance.
2. He grabs people from a distance and throws them about. Or at least shoves them a little.
3. He could knock things off of high shelves onto someone's head.
4. Why not shove things reactively? Shoving is a great trick.
5. Holding things up so his friends can walk on them.

But really, why not just look at action movies and steal every character in them? Plenty of character concepts people like over there.
Thanks for the answers! This questionnaire is partly for my alpha players to ensure I have mechanical support for them. For this character, I would need to develop the primary ability, telekinesis. The conceptual space for design is vast, so I'll doing what I can to limit my scope for having a playable alpha.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Thanks! Knowing that: my last two D&D characters

Mildred the Bog Hag
1. A witch with fey ancestry that curses her foes.
2. Magic missile and/or cantrips, ideally EVIL ones.
3. Control magic like sleep or fog cloud
4. Shield spell or absorb elements spell
5. Witchy nonsense like enchanting someone

Cobblestone Brickfriend, Goliath Warlock
1. A homeless Goliath, cursed by stone gods and mad at the government.
2. Eldritch blasts that fling enemies into hazards
3. Make the ground spiky
4. Ablate some rocky skin to absorb damage
5. Magically hide inside of an enchanted rock talisman