[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 22 - Robot Commando (Take 2)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What is the name of our hero?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:12 am

Jason Scott
100%
J'zon Skot-Laserson
No votes

Total votes: 2

Queen of Swords
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 22 - Robot Commando (Take 2)

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, enter the vault.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The area proves to be full of rusting, abandoned robots. At the other side of the vault is a huge lift. The control panel has three coloured buttons, but none is marked. The lift contains a huge robot; in the dimness, you cannot make out what type it is, but it has treads and claws. If you enter the lift and push a button at random, turn to 269. If you take the small corridor beside the lift, turn to 398.
Oh dear, it looks like we're back at a familiar spot earlier. Even though it's not the same section number, not only are the texts the same, but the options also both lead to the same sections from that identical one.

What do we do now?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Great. I guess we have no choice except to press a button.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sigh. I vote to push a button at random.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Which button will you press:

Green?
Red?
Blue?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to press the green button.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The lift doors shudder, and the lift drops half a metre and stops. The lights flicker on, and then off. If you push another button, return to 269 and choose again. If you leave the lift and enter the corridor beside it, turn to 398.
If you want to press another button in this lift, please specify whether you press the red or blue button next. Since we'll be going back to the last section to do that, this means the sequence of pressing the buttons doesn't matter (at least with regards to the green one we just pressed).

Going out to the corridor also brings us to another section we'd been to before, where we find another lift and have to decide whether to enter it and press a button. I can tell you here that, no, it's not the same result (or at least the same section numbers) as the ones in this lift, so choosing which lift to press buttons does make a difference.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will vote to go out to the corridor, enter the lift, and press the button there.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, might as well try that.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The corridor levels off and passes a small alcove. Within the alcove is a small lift, just big enough for one person. If you want to get in the lift and press the button, turn to 307. If you continue along the corridor, turn to 178.
Entering random lift#2...
The lift shoots quickly upward. The force of its acceleration almost knocks you down - and it continues for a long time! Suddenly the lift doors pop open. You are in the lobby of the Robot Experimental Centre. If you cross the square and re-enter your robot, turn to 206. If you investigate the Robot Experimental Centre, turn to 25.
Finally, we managed to get out of the tunnels, which has so far been only a waste of time and STAMINA drain!

Where do we want to explore next?
Queen of Swords
Prince

I can't remember if we've been to the Robot Experimental Centre before, but we might as well try that.

And I'm so glad we're finally out of the tunnels.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, I didn't vote on that because the pointless and annoying tunnels is something I distinctively remember. Real low point for this book.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I was wondering if there was something useful in the tunnels that we missed, but if there's nothing, I have no idea why this location was there at all. It's not like the "doomed whatever you do" kitchen sequence in House of Hell, because at least that has a couple of different ways to die. It's just wandering around without even interesting scenery or description, until you finally press the correct random button to get out.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure, I vote to go to the Robot Experimental Centre.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:11 am
I can't remember if we've been to the Robot Experimental Centre before
That was where we got the Interface Transponder and the seeker missile. It's the only other place we'd been to in this city.
This is the Robot Experimental Centre. If you have been here before, turn to 251...
Snipping off the rest since we'd already read them before.
You have returned to the Robot Experimental Centre. If you acquired the Seeker Missile on a previous visit, turn to 198. If not, turn to 333.
We did acquire the missile...
Just in time, you realize that the lobby is full of Guard Robots like the one you fought before. You quickly return to your robot and leave the area of the Centre. Turn to 206 and make a new choice.
Well, now we know for sure that this location is no longer available once we'd taken the biggest prize.

Now we're left with:

The Fuel Refining Plant
Just explore the city in general
Leave the city
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure, I guess the fuel refining plant is worth a try.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Fuel refining plant.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You decide to visit the Fuel-refining Plant. This is where the radioactive ores that power the robots are processed. A single block of fuel will drive a robot for a year. As you approach, you realize that some of the robots standing around the plant are active! The Karosseans have sent a force to garrison this strategic point. What will you do:

Proceed normally?
Attack?
Flee?
Try a ruse?
We were also here before, but that was in an alternate timeline. In that timeline, Jason Scott tried a ruse, but was exposed because he didn't know the password when challenged by the Karosseans. In the process, he actually learned the first half of the password exchange, but died in the ensuing battle before he can make use of it.

This time, we have a far better robot (and also higher SKILL) that's much more likely to survive that same ensuing battle. Do we want to take the same option to learn that information that we didn't get to use last time?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will vote yes to that proposal.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If you have already been challenged by Karossean soldiers using a number as a password, and you remember that number, turn to that reference. Otherwise, turn to 236.
Not in this timeline...
Over the radio comes a challenge: "Eighty-eight!" If you know the countersign that is required for that password, turn to number of the countersign. If you do not know the proper response, turn to 389.
I'm not sure it's even possible to have learned the countersign without knowing the first half, but as Dogopolis revealed before, there may well be stuff that I'd missed on my own playthroughs. In any case, Jason Scott does not know the countersign.
The Karosseans fire on you. Lose 1 ARMOUR point and fight.
You must fight the enemy robots. There are two of them, both Tripod Robots. These speedy machines walk about on three legs; they have metal tentacle-arms that can carry guns or other devices. You recognize them as handling-machines belonging to the fuel plant. The Karosseans have taken them over as guard robots! You must fight them both at once.

Each Tripod will have a separate attack on you in each Attack Round, but you must choose which of the two you will fight. Attack your chosen foe each round as in a normal battle. Against the other you must throw for your Attack Strength in the normal way, but even if your Attack Strength is greater, you will not wound it. You must just count this as though you have defended yourself from it. However, if its Attack Strength is greater, it will damage your robot in the usual way.

First TRIPOD ARMOUR 7 SPEED Fast SKILL 8
Second TRIPOD ARMOUR 7 SPEED Fast SKILL 10

If you Escape, turn to 293. If you defeat both Tripods, turn to 30. If your robot is defeated, turn to 336.
Do you guys want to use our Robot's Sonic Gun against these foes? It can be used up to 3 times total, and once per combat.

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jason Scott
SKILL: 10/10
STAMINA: 11/20
LUCK: 6/10

POSSESSIONS:
Sword
7 Medikits (Each can restore 1 lost point of STAMINA)
Blue Potion
Luck Amulet (+1 Initial and current LUCK)
Interface Transponder (+1 SKILL for robot combats)
Seeker Missile (may be fired at any time between attack rounds to automatically hit reduce target's ARMOUR score by 10, not installed on robot yet)

Notes:
1) The ancient Karosseans would settle a tribal dispute by choosing champions - one from each tribe - instead of allowing a battle between the whole tribes. The reference number of the book that provides the above information is 111.
2) Map reference for location of the City of the Guardians, the secret base headquarters of the army of Thalos, is 22. Substitute it for 'XX' when given the option to visit it.
3) The prototype "Cloak of Invisibility" device, Model 3, is now being tested at the Dinosaur Preserve.

CURRENT ROBOT: ROBOTANK ARMOUR 17/18 SPEED Slow COMBAT BONUS +2
SPECIAL ABILITIES: The Robotank contains a special Sonic Gun in one hand. It cannot be used by any other robot. It may be fired once per combat turn, in addition to the Robotank's regular attack. However, it may be used only three times in all; then it is useless. When fired the Sonic Gun is instandly deadly to unprotected humans. Against a robot, roll one die to see how many ARMOUR points the target loses. Against a dinosaur, roll 2 dice to see how many ARMOUR points the target loses.

SAVE-POINTS/UNUSED ROBOTS FOUND:
DRAGONFLY MODEL D - section 1
WALKER ROBOT - section 260
ROBOTANK x2 - section 247
TROOPER XI - section 167
WASP FIGHTER - section 41
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Our Skill is high enough that I will vote not to use it.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, we're better then them, save luck.

(Also, very War of the Worlds robots there)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:37 pm
Yeah, we're better then them, save luck.
I take it you mean save our Sonic Gun shot.

(I accidentally deleted the combat log right after it's finished and don't remember all the figures to type it all up again, but what happened was that Jason Scott was able to destroy both opponents, but our Robotank took 2 shots from the second Tripod during the fight.)
You have defeated the Tripods, but you hear more enemies on the way. You have time for only one choice. If you examine the wreckage of the Tripods, turn to 68. If you enter the fuel plant, turn to 132.
Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jason Scott
SKILL: 10/10
STAMINA: 11/20
LUCK: 6/10

POSSESSIONS:
Sword
7 Medikits (Each can restore 1 lost point of STAMINA)
Blue Potion
Luck Amulet (+1 Initial and current LUCK)
Interface Transponder (+1 SKILL for robot combats)
Seeker Missile (may be fired at any time between attack rounds to automatically hit reduce target's ARMOUR score by 10, not installed on robot yet)

Notes:
1) The ancient Karosseans would settle a tribal dispute by choosing champions - one from each tribe - instead of allowing a battle between the whole tribes. The reference number of the book that provides the above information is 111.
2) Map reference for location of the City of the Guardians, the secret base headquarters of the army of Thalos, is 22. Substitute it for 'XX' when given the option to visit it.
3) The prototype "Cloak of Invisibility" device, Model 3, is now being tested at the Dinosaur Preserve.
4) The first half of the passwords between Karosseans to verify each other is "Eighty-eight".

CURRENT ROBOT: ROBOTANK ARMOUR 13/18 SPEED Slow COMBAT BONUS +2
SPECIAL ABILITIES: The Robotank contains a special Sonic Gun in one hand. It cannot be used by any other robot. It may be fired once per combat turn, in addition to the Robotank's regular attack. However, it may be used only three times in all; then it is useless. When fired the Sonic Gun is instandly deadly to unprotected humans. Against a robot, roll one die to see how many ARMOUR points the target loses. Against a dinosaur, roll 2 dice to see how many ARMOUR points the target loses.

SAVE-POINTS/UNUSED ROBOTS FOUND:
DRAGONFLY MODEL D - section 1
WALKER ROBOT - section 260
ROBOTANK x2 - section 247
TROOPER XI - section 167
WASP FIGHTER - section 41