[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these should I host a Let's Play of next?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:59 pm

Fighting Fantasy Never-Completed: Trial of Champions, Starship Traveller, Freeway Fighter, Seas of Blood, Portal of Evil, Battleblade Warrior, or Island of the Undead (say which one in comments if you choose this one)
No votes
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Return to Icefinger Mountains. Sequel to Caverns of the Snow Witch.
50%
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Vengeance at Midnight. Sequel to Appointment With F.E.A.R.
50%
Marvel Super Heroes Gamebook: Through Six Dimensions. In this gamebook you play Dr. Strange.
No votes
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Gamebook: Curse of the Werewolf. In this gamebook you play the warrior Feral, who fought in the Khefan border wars for three years and is now returning home to the village of Mennan, where his late father Agnor the Wolf ruled.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Crypt of the Vampire.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Castle of Lost Souls.
No votes
Sorcery! as a warrior.
No votes
I would not participate in any of these.
No votes

Total votes: 2

Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Post by Beroli »

The port's sprawling markets lie within the Merchant Quarter, which runs from Farthing Lane to Moneylender's Street.

Look for practical equipment?
Visit the Port of Crabs' lively bazaar, which has more exotic and expensive wares?

Name: Bonnie Blood
Sex: Female
Skill: 12/12
Stamina: 18/20
Luck: 9/10
Weapon: Sword
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox
Gold Pieces: 24
Time Elapsed: 3 Hour
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I say to check out the bazaar, as it has a greater chance of selling essential items than the practical equipment area.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, bazaar first (as long as we keep some money for practical things like provisions).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'll go along with that.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You are enticed towards the Bazaar by its colourful stalls, as well as the sounds and smells of far-off countries. You ignore the rolls of silk and the baskets of spices but are attracted to a brightly decorated stall covered in a variety of unusual items. Talking with the vendor, you discover that the man is a Talismonger - a trader in artefacts that are allegedly magical. However, by the look of some of the objects, you do wonder if they really are charged with esoteric power. You may buy as many of them as you want, as long as you have enough Gold Pieces.

Ivory Lion Charm 7 Gold Pieces
Shark's Teeth Bracelet 5 Gold Pieces
Magical Compass 9 Gold Pieces
Potion of Giant-Strength 8 Gold Pieces
Lock of Elvin's Hair 6 Gold Pieces
Carved Darkwood Armband 4 Gold Pieces

Which, if any, will you buy?

Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox
Gold Pieces: 24
Time Elapsed: 3 Hours
Queen of Swords
Prince

Magical Compass? Does it always point north, unlike a regular compass?

Not sure about the Potion of Giant-Strength, could be tinted water or something similar. The Darkwood Armband sounds a bit sinister. Of the remaining items, I'd go for the Shark's Teeth Bracelet, and maybe the Ivory Lion Charm if there are any other votes for it. That would leave us 12 GP for provisions and so on.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote for the Shark’s teeth bracelet. My second vote will go for the potion of giant’s strength, as that seems to be beneficial, if D&D and roguelike traditions hold. That way we have 11 gold for other items.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I vote to buy the magic compass.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Shark's Teeth Bracelet wins 2-1.

Second purchase has a three-way tie between Ivory Lion Charm, Potion of Giant-Strength, and Magic Compass.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Random dice roll determines that you buy the Magic Compass.

The bracelet is made from leather embedded with the razor-sharp teeth of a shark, which point outwards. It is an unusual item, which at the moment does not seem to exhibit any magical potential - but it may prove useful.

The Talismonger tells you that the lodestone inside the compass is attracted to large deposits of gold - a must for any would-be treasure hunter. It is only after you have handed over your money that you wonder why the Talismonger hasn't used the compass himself to make his fortune.

Look for more practical equipment around the markets?
Leave to continue your quest?

Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass
Gold Pieces: 10
Time Elapsed: 3 Hours
Queen of Swords
Prince

Look for more practical equipment.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to look for more practical equipment to see if there is anything we need there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Practical, of course.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Scouring the various stalls, you soon find a number of items that might be of use to you on your quest. You may buy any of the things on the list, as long as you have enough money.

Rope 1 Gold Piece

Provisions 1 Gold Piece per Meal

Cutlass (straightforward weapon) 8 Gold Pieces

Throwing Dagger (Test your Skill before each combat unless you choose not to throw it; success means the enemy takes 2 damage before the combat starts, if you win the combat you can retrieve the dagger) 3 Gold Pieces

Chainmail Coat (-1 to each enemy's Attack Strength, -1 penalty whenever you Test your Skill) 6 Gold Pieces

Flask of Grog (restores 4 Stamina points and gives you +1 to Attack Strength for the next combat after drinking it) 3 Gold Pieces

Poison Antidote (3 doses) 4 Gold Pieces

Gas Globes (3 globes; when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune) 6 Gold Pieces

When you are done shopping, you leave the market. Add 1 Hour to Time Elapsed. As you are walking along Traders Street away from the market you cannot help but notice a roguish figure standing on the comer of Lobster Alley. The man is gaunt and scrawny, in his later years, and with several days' growth of stubble. He also has an eye-patch, a wooden stump for a leg beneath his right knee and wears a long coat and tricorn hat. A monkey, with its own tiny waistcoat, is scampering around the man's shoulders. As you walk past the pirate, you make eye contact and he beckons to you with a glance before turning and hobbling away up the alley.

Follow him?
Continue the way you were going?

Also, of course, vote on what to buy.

Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass
Gold Pieces: 10
Time Elapsed: 4 Hours
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to buy a single glass Globe and 4 Provisions, and to follow the Long John Silver wannabe.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Note that the Gas Globes are a set; if you pay 6 Gold you get all three of them. Likewise, the Poison Antidote is 3 doses for 4 gold, not up to 3 doses for 4 gold each.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My mistake. I will vote to buy the Glass Globe set then along with the 4 Provisions.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I vote for definitely buying rope, seems like we'd be checked for that, and poison antidote. Other things like like stats increased, so not mandatory.

The dagger seems cool, but we need provisions, and might need some random cash afterwards.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Rope, gas globes, spend remainder on provisions.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will change my vote to buy the rope, in addition to the gas globes and provisions.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Buying rope wins 3-0, buying gas globes wins 2-1, not buying poison antidote wins 2-1, spending the rest on Provisions wins 2-0.

Following the man who appears to be an ultra-sterotypical pirate wins 1-0.

Despite having a wooden leg, the old rogue moves quite quickly and disappears around a corner before you can catch up with him. As you are about to round the corner yourself, you suddenly start to have misgivings about your latest course of action.

Keep following him?
Go back the way you came?
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, 3 Gas Globes (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), 3 Meals
Gold Pieces: 0
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go back the way Bonnie Blood came, as it pays to trust your instincts. I suspect in this case that the man knows that he was being followed and is leading our hero into a trap.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, in this case it seems like a trap.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You turn round and come face-to-face with two black-robed figures, their faces hidden by the hoods of their habits. Wielding heavy coshes, the Devotees advance on you. You will have to fight them both at the same time.

First DEVOTEE Skill 7 Stamina 5
Second DEVOTEE Skill 6 Stamina 6

Bonnie Blood 22, First DEVOTEE 15, Bonnie Blood 18, Second DEVOTEE 13. First DEVOTEE is at 3 Stamina.
Bonnie Blood 17, First DEVOTEE 16, Bonnie Blood 20, Second DEVOTEE 14. First DEVOTEE is at 1 Stamina.
Bonnie Blood 18, First DEVOTEE 17, Bonnie Blood 17, Second DEVOTEE 12. First DEVOTEE is dead.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, DEVOTEE Attack Strength: 10. DEVOTEE's Stamina is 4
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 14, DEVOTEE Attack Strength: 17. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 16
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, DEVOTEE Attack Strength: 16. DEVOTEE's Stamina is 2
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 18, DEVOTEE Attack Strength: 11. DEVOTEE is dead.

Your opponents slump to the ground and you turn round to deal with the treacherous pirate. The old rogue is already fleeing as fast as he can along the alley. You run after him but, hearing your approach, the man spins round and lets fly a dagger. Test your Skill; a 6 succeeds.

You duck just in time to avoid being hit by the dagger. You then close on the old pirate.

The pirate unsheathes a long knife with which to defend himself. 'You ain't taken Old Crivens yet,' he spits vehemently. 'Come any closer and I'll slit yer gizzard!' Ignoring the old man's threats, once again you engage in battle.

CRIVENS SKILL 8 STAMINA 7

While you are fighting its master, the the villain's pet monkey does its best to distract you, climbing all over you and biting you. As a result, for the duration of this battle you must reduce your Attack Strength by 1 point and every Attack Round there is a 50% chance Crivens' pet monkey will inflict 1 damage on you.

This brings Crivens' effective relative Skill up to the point where I pause here for votes on whether to use a Gas Globe and whether, and how, to use Luck.

Stamina: 16/20
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, 3 Gas Globes (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), 3 Meals
Gold Pieces: 0
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote not to use luck or a globe here.