[Let's Play] Sorcery Warrior 3 - The Seven Serpents

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Sorcery Warrior 3 - The Seven Serpents

Post by Beroli »

I am sure your character's sense of humor could not possibly have gotten him in trouble at any earlier point and will not get him in trouble in the future.

The old elf stands up to take you to the store. 'My friend,' he says, 'it is years since we have heard stories as good as those. We are indeed traders and businessfolk. But as reward for the merriment you have given us, we will offer you our best prices.' When you reach the goods caravan, the old Elf will give you one item in the store as a gift, and any further items you wish to buy you can buy for half price. (I will by listing half prices rather than full ones; the number I say is the number of Gold Pieces you will actually pay.)
The old Elf leads you into the centre of the camp where a large caravan stands. Its door is guarded by two armed Elves. 'Tell Oolooh we have a customer,' he orders one of the guards, who climbs into the caravan to report your arrival. A skinny black face appears at the door. 'And what sort of a bargain-hunter can we have happened across here in the middle of Baddu-Bak?' asks the face. 'Aha! A human! Well, come inside, come inside. Let's see what bargains we can strike with one another, eh? Come on, come on!' He waves you inside and you follow. Your eyes light up as you enter the caravan. It is a veritable treasure trove of valuables, magic items and equipment. Oolooh looks up at you over half-moon eyeglasses. He is flicking through a catalogue of some kind. 'And what is your art, stranger? Weaponry? Sorcery? Are you a craftsman? Or how about some fine treasures for gifts at the end of your journey? We have it all. And at fair prices, too!' You pause to look over his shelves while he chatters away at you. 'How about piece number 227, a fine Hewing Axe? Very useful if you are heading northwards. And only 3 Gold Pieces. Or piece number 93, a Brass Pendulum? Always hangs down, and no lodestone can deflect it. 1 Gold Piece to you. Or a fine pearl ring-–piece number 124-–a gift fit for a king? But that'll cost you 4 Pieces. Or a bag of Vittles...let's see...yes, piece number 17. Ideal provisions for long journeys, only 2 Gold Pieces for the whole bag.'

You may buy any item in the picture which has a number attached to it there. If you wish to barter, vote on which items to offer; the Elf will consider each of them worth (3 + your Skill of 11 - the result of a roll of two dice) Gold Pieces in trade. (He won't actually give you gold, but he might give you everything in his store in exchange for items rather than gold.) If you roll (higher than your Skill) a 12 when checking for an item's value, the Elf isn't interested in it.

Name: Jason Beckett Mordred
Sex: Male
Skill: 11/11
Stamina: 19/19
Luck: 11/11
Weapon: Sword
Inventory: Large Backpack (need not leave behind an item to take another item), Blimberry Juice (+3 Stamina), silver key, Borrinskin boots, Ragnar's Armband of Swordmastery (+2 Attack Strength when using a sword), backup sword, torch, tinderbox, green-haired wig, Lucky Talisman (+1 bonus to all Luck tests), Lucky Talisman (do not deduct a Luck point after Testing Luck), bow and quiver of 3 silver arrows, tinderbox, Serpent Ring, Galehorn, stone dust, Chakram (Test Skill with -1 penalty at the start of a fight to do 2 damage, once), Yellow Powder, Crystal Orb, 3 Meals
Gold Pieces: 4
Libra's Favor: Not yet used in this adventure
Serpents Killed: Moon
Deaths: Unable to reach the North Gate of Kharé
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Hmmm, we don't need the stone dust or green haired wig. We don't need two tinderboxes, but I guess having a spare is nice, moreso the spare sword.

Sell the first two, see if we can buy the lot, if not, sell a tinderbox as well.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Agreed on the selling selection.

I say we choose the armor (item 153) as the gift. I then vote for the bag of Vittles (item 17), then the Axe (item 227), and then the ring (item 124) for any items that we can get from selling.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

He considers the stone dust worth 8 gold (he says it can be used for a petrification spell) and the green-haired wig worth 7 gold (he's more cagey about what spell it's used for).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

8 Gold for the dust can buy the axe, the pendulum and the vittles, with 2 gold to spare, and we can get the ring as a gift.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Okay, I need a tiebreaker, since one person is choosing the armor first and not the pendulum at all, and the other wants the pendulum and not the armor.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Erm...if we get the armour as the gift, and buy the vittles, axe and ring thats 9gp, we'd be selling the dust and wig, and have 6 more gp to buy stuff. We could also get the book (51) and I think a key (124) ?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

In light of the prices that we got from selling the items, I vote to make the ring the gift, and buy the other three items that I mentioned.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Okay, desired purchases:

Pearl ring (the gift, if taken)
Armour (3 gold, or the gift)
Vittles (agreed upon, costs 2 gold)
Axe (agreed upon, costs 3 gold)
Book (5 gold)
Key (4 gold)

Making the book the gift instead, you're looking at:

Book (free)
Pearl ring (4 gold)
Armour (3 gold)
Vittles (2 gold)
Axe (3 gold)
Key (4 gold)
Pendulum (1 gold)

and trading a tinderbox as well, for 9 gold, which more that covers everything you mentioned trading for.

The book, you realize to your horror, is a Spell Book from Analand. Each country's spells are a closely guarded secret. How did this Spell Book get here? You burn it shortly after leaving the campsite and are satisfied that you accomplished something important, even if it doesn't benefit you directly.

The pearl ring is exactly what it appears to be.

The Hewing Axe has a magical blade and will cut down trees with one blow. Used as a weapon it would impose a -2 Attack Strength penalty.

Ideal travelling provisions, Vittles are small pastry balls with tough dried meat inside. You have bought enough for four Meals.

The suit of chainmail fits you perfectly. Add +1 Attack Strength while wearing it, and if you are wounded in battle, you may roll one die; on a 5 or 6 you take only 1 damage. (I'm judging this cannot stack with Luck to eliminate a wound entirely, so this will only come into play if you are no longer using Luck to take 1 damage per wound by default.)

The brass pendulum is exactly what it appears to be.

You leave the caravan and are greeted outside by the old Elf.

Ask for shelter for the night?
Leave the camp?

Inventory: Large Backpack (need not leave behind an item to take another item), Blimberry Juice (+3 Stamina), silver key, Borrinskin boots, Ragnar's Armband of Swordmastery (+2 Attack Strength when using a sword), backup sword, torch, tinderbox, Lucky Talisman (+1 bonus to all Luck tests), Lucky Talisman (do not deduct a Luck point after Testing Luck), bow and quiver of 3 silver arrows, Serpent Ring, Galehorn, Chakram (Test Skill with -1 penalty at the start of a fight to do 2 damage, once), Yellow Powder, Crystal Orb, pearl ring, Hewing Axe (-2 Attack Strength weapon, cuts down trees), chainmail (+1 Attack Strength, 1/3 chance to reduce wounds), brass pendulum, 7 Meals
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to ask for shelter for the night.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ask for shelter
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The old Elf nods. He will take you to an empty caravan where you may sleep for the night, but the price will be 3 Gold Pieces.

Pay?
Leave?

Inventory: Large Backpack (need not leave behind an item to take another item), Blimberry Juice (+3 Stamina), silver key, Borrinskin boots, Ragnar's Armband of Swordmastery (+2 Attack Strength when using a sword), backup sword, torch, tinderbox, Lucky Talisman (+1 bonus to all Luck tests), Lucky Talisman (do not deduct a Luck point after Testing Luck), bow and quiver of 3 silver arrows, Serpent Ring, Galehorn, Chakram (Test Skill with -1 penalty at the start of a fight to do 2 damage, once), Yellow Powder, Crystal Orb, pearl ring, Hewing Axe (-2 Attack Strength weapon, cuts down trees), chainmail (+1 Attack Strength, 1/3 chance to reduce wounds), brass pendulum, 7 Meals
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to pay them.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I guess so.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The inside of the trailer is fairly clean and you bed down for the night. You awake early next morning. Restore 3 Stamina points for your rest. You did eat yesterday and do not take hunger damage. As you still do not trust the Black Elves entirely, you decide to creep off in the early-morning light.

Go northwest?
Go north-northwest?
Go northeast?

Gold Pieces: 1
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go northeast.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

On and on you go, pausing briefly every so often to scout out the land ahead. At one point you stop. Something is on the horizon! You squint ahead to try to make out the shape. It is definitely moving! You keep going and the shape becomes a little clearer. It is a two-legged creature about half your size and it has turned to come toward you. But it is moving at a remarkable rate!

Continue on your current course and meet this creature?
Head off in a different direction to avoid it?

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to meet the creature.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Meet the creature.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You allow your visitor to approach. As it gets closer, you can see that it is a small, gnome-like creature with dark skin and ugly features. Its little legs move at an incredible rate and it helps itself along with a walking stick carved to resemble a serpent. It stops in front of you and you both look at each other. Silently, you wonder whether this is a friend or a foe. 'Have it whichever way you like!' says the creature in a squeaky voice. 'If it's "friend", then show me your friendship. Give me a gift of greeting! Or if it's "foe", then begone! Get out of my way!"

Treat the creature as a friend?
Treat the creature as a foe?

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Treat as friend.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to treat it as a friend as well.