Pathfinder 2e

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes, such noticeably different head proportions.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Does PF2 have a net setting or expanded on their old setting?
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Same setting: Golarion, where time advances at one year per RL year, and apparently there won't be a disaster to explain away changes the way D&D has done it in the past. Which is probably good.
EightWave
Journeyman

Post by EightWave »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Yes, such noticeably different head proportions.
She's about half a head shorter with a waist about 3/4 the width of the original, that's literally the difference between a skinny teenager and athletic adult, so yeah.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, that was an own goal if I ever saw one. In comic/manga terms you could sell me on the old art being post-timeskip Amiri while the new art is from the prequel.
bears fall, everyone dies
erik
King

Post by erik »

The head is identical size. The waist/chest becomes smaller, so I guess proportionately compared to waist width yes, the head is smaller, but height seems nearly identical as well. Mostly they gave her a thinner torso. As variation between artists goes, that's not a bad likeness at all and certainly not a change towards "giant fuckin noggin" by any stretch of the imagination.

[edit: do we need to compare the endless Mialee/Lidda/Krusks etc. through the ages?]
Last edited by erik on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

erik wrote:The head is identical size. The waist/chest becomes smaller, so I guess proportionately compared to waist width yes, the head is smaller, but height seems nearly identical as well. Mostly they gave her a thinner torso. As variation between artists goes, that's not a bad likeness at all and certainly not a change towards "giant fuckin noggin" by any stretch of the imagination.

[edit: do we need to compare the endless Mialee/Lidda/Krusks etc. through the ages?]
Both pictures were drawn by Wayne Reynolds. The new one is an intentional re-design, not an artifact of different artists.
Last edited by Axebird on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
EightWave
Journeyman

Post by EightWave »

There's no artist signature on the second one, I wonder if it was commissioned to be a legally distinct art work to avoid royalties or something That, or an audition piece by a new artist that someone decided they like better. Nevermind, same artist. There's a lot of things to prefer about the new piece: her expression is a snarl instead of a derp, and the arm+sword are in a more natural pose with the sword actually being a thing she's interacting with, instead of a piece of clipart pasted into the picture.

She's not a cabbage patch doll or anything, but the body is definitely slightly smaller in relation to the head in the new image, which makes her seem shorter. With the thinner arms/torso if you told me the new image was 17-year-old Amiri on her first adventure and the old one was 25-year-old Amiri with some levels under her belt I'd believe you.
Last edited by EightWave on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

erik wrote:As variation between artists goes, that's not a bad likeness at all and certainly not a change towards "giant fuckin noggin" by any stretch of the imagination.
Are we seriously going to fret over tone on the Den? Some people think she looks less physically imposing and a clear explanation of why that isn't insane has been given. If I overreached it's by calling what is apparently an intentional redesign amateur hour, not by pointing out that her head is now nearly as wide as her torso.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

This "iconic barbarian" looked lame before and she looks lame now. She looks like some lame ass bitch off the cover of a cheap fantasy YA novel. No one is going to look at her and get PUMPED UP to make a character and ROLL SOME FUCKIN DICE.

If I google "female fantasy barbarian" the first 100 images are all better than Paizo's barbarian.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Apparently there was an isometric CRPG of Kingmaker, and they gave all the characters a non-Reynolds makeover. This is their version of her:

Better? Worse?
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

I liked it more. She reads as tougher and more confident to me. I still wish she was more muscled up, though.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Whipstitch wrote:
erik wrote:As variation between artists goes, that's not a bad likeness at all and certainly not a change towards "giant fuckin noggin" by any stretch of the imagination.
Are we seriously going to fret over tone on the Den? Some people think she looks less physically imposing and a clear explanation of why that isn't insane has been given. If I overreached it's by calling what is apparently an intentional redesign amateur hour, not by pointing out that her head is now nearly as wide as her torso.
That's because she's become rail-thin not because big head mode's been triggered. Both give the moe waif effect you'd expect out of a teenage girl in fantasy art, but take different roads to get there.

You're correct in the effect, but completely wrong about her head and how they got there.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I was th inking more along just head vs waist when i posted, but fine, if we're going full pedant i guess i was both right and horribly wrong.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's literally a tracing of the previous head. The rest of the body is drawn smaller, making the head to body ratio larger. Why is this discussion still going on?

-Username17
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

No fucking clue. Who wants to discuss leveled items? I think the concept is interesting but it's always going to fail in the world of TTRPGs due to how videogame-y the concept is.

However, I think if a careful approach is taken, it might work in establishing 'Here's where you need to be at level X or Y'. Some kind of table that shows what abilities your character just needs to have to participate.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Axebird wrote:I liked it more. She reads as tougher and more confident to me. I still wish she was more muscled up, though.
Here you go:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

FrankTrollman wrote:It's literally a tracing of the previous head. The rest of the body is drawn smaller, making the head to body ratio larger. Why is this discussion still going on?

-Username17
I think the problem is is twofold. First, I really wanted to write "big fuckin' noggin" because I am juvenile enough to think swears are funny. Second, people are unwilling to assume I just mean a>b=b<a instead of something stupid. I'd be mad, but I remember how Silva and Shadzar used to post, so I kinda get it.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I think I was triggered by my aversion to hyperbole because it’s the worst fucking thing in the universe.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Erik, I love you. Never change.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What’s a wyvern like in PF2e, they seem a good benchmark monster
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

OgreBattle wrote:What’s a wyvern like in PF2e, they seem a good benchmark monster
It comes out in August. There weren't any wyverns in the playtest bestiary.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

There are probably hundreds of images of Amiri drawn throughout the many, many Pathfinder books Paizo released throughout the last decade, most of them by different artists. So there will be a lot of variation on how she was depicted.
That being said, the new version looks more like a sickly goth princess.

As for PF2E, I'm not making the jump to it, because it abandoned the 3.X skeleton and I don't like the new ideas they went with. No problem, I still got adventure path material from PF1E to GM until another decade has passed.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Don't really care either way, as my experience with the character is some of Kingmaker and occasionally mocking her build as an Iconic Character. I'm more interested in how PF2E ends up performing because if it does well, then most of the third party support will likely jump with and the actual parts of PF I like will go unsupported.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Well, it's finally here. Not certain if I can post external links but it's up on archive of Nethys.
Last edited by saithorthepyro on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.