News that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

tzor wrote:
Murtak wrote:2. I assume prisons have psychiatrists who are qualified to deem sex offenders safe to release, or conversely, to keep them in prison, correct? Anyone released from prison should be assumed to be safe, even around children.
Unfortunately, this is not the case; especially when you get to pedophilia which can be almost addictive. Most people who don’t get caught right away are able to easily con others and themselves. Just as it takes a person who is addicted a lot of willpower when near the substance of his earlier abuse, putting them near an environment where there are children present, even for those who do admit their problems, is not in anyone’s best interest. When they are in denial mode, it is a recipe for disaster.
So even assuming you are correct in that pedophilia is vastly harder to quantify than, say, determine whether a murderer will kill again, the obvious solution is to keep those offenders in prison, no? Essentially you are saying "well, they did their time so we let them rejoin society, but we are not going to ever trust them again". That is lunacy. If you don't trust them, keep them locked up. If you do, don't stigmatize them. I assume the US has some sort of system to make sure pedophiles don't get to work in kindergardens (just as convicted fraudsters aren't allowed to work at a bank)? If so, that should suffice (and I am not sure even that much is needed).
Murtak
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

tzor wrote:make sure we can separate those who have a problem from those who made a mistake.
Or made no mistake at all.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Murtak, that's the idea, but it fails in execution because we do not have national identity and background standards. It's very easy to steal identities or have your identity lost or mixed with someone else.

1) So far, 'for the children' has trumped law.

2) No.

3) Yes.

4) We already know that. Also, rapists aren't put on the list, usually.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

...they're not? So the sex offender thing isn't actually to prevent rape, it's just to stop 1-year age gap relationships or something?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Crissa wrote:Murtak, that's the idea, but it fails in execution because we do not have national identity and background standards. It's very easy to steal identities or have your identity lost or mixed with someone else.
So? If it is easy to steal identities, banning sex offenders from living near kindergardens doesn't exactly help, does it? In fact, that is one more argument to keep pedophiles until cured (if ever) and then to release them into society. If they want to molest children they can, you can't stop them and you can't even look for them after the crime, much less monitor them.
Murtak
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

One problem is that, even in places where the law takes a more graduated approach, judicial discretion often doesn't. For example, in Ohio, we have three levels of sex offender, each with different restrictions. The idea is supposed to be that the lowest level is for 17-year-olds who have sex with fifteen year old girlfriends and the highest is for grown men who hang around playgrounds and libraries trying to score with 10 year olds. However, for fear of being branded "soft on sex offenders" come election day, judges tend to put the most restrictive tag on everybody.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The idea is supposed to be that the lowest level is for 17-year-olds who have sex with fifteen year old girlfriends
Retards.

You know, I've often stated my hatred of the 'stuffy, overweening father' archetype that's played for laughs in the current media. Laws like this is exactly why I hate that trope. Let's play armchair psychologist for a second here.
will
How to stop someone from fucking your sexy, virginal daughter? Well, the libruls made it a bad thing for you to shoot them, but we got the next best thing. Put them on the SEX OFFENDER LIST! Whoo! Ruin their lives for even thinking about touching your ripe, blossoming, forbidden fruit of a child.

A mean old cuss would say that America's fetishism for this kind of crap stems from sexually frustrated dads unable to have sex with their tender, unspoiled daughters with wet pussies never touched by a man that would make them feel so good so in a sad and pathetic attempt to sublimate this desire they take it out on the competition. So the overprotective dad and teenage sex offender laws are just outgrowths of the childish 'if I can't fuck her nobody will' mentalities that can't be brought out into the open.

But like I said, only a mean old cuss would say something like that.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So Lago, you think "Freud was right?"
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:The idea is supposed to be that the lowest level is for 17-year-olds who have sex with fifteen year old girlfriends
I'm flabbergasted there is a penalty at all for that. Much less the 11 year sentence that a guy in Georgia got for this exact crime. The age of consent in the US is fucking ridiculous. Really. I'm phenomenally terrified that people not considered old enough to have sex can drive. Of the two, only one of them is likely to hurt me.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Neeeek wrote:
Absentminded_Wizard wrote:The idea is supposed to be that the lowest level is for 17-year-olds who have sex with fifteen year old girlfriends
I'm flabbergasted there is a penalty at all for that. Much less the 11 year sentence that a guy in Georgia got for this exact crime. The age of consent in the US is fucking ridiculous. Really. I'm phenomenally terrified that people not considered old enough to have sex can drive. Of the two, only one of them is likely to hurt me.
your proposed idea wouldn't quite solve the "15 year olds" problem.

Though, notably, it occurs to me that the age of consent in Poland is 15 (alledgedly, heard it elsewhere).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Prak_Anima wrote:So Lago, you think "Freud was right?"
No, I think the actual cause of fathers getting all creepy and protective of their teenage girls stems from sexism and (not necessarily sexual) fetishism of female virginity.

I just think it's funnier to accuse them of repressed incestuous feelings. The result is the same.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:So Lago, you think "Freud was right?"
No, I think the actual cause of fathers getting all creepy and protective of their teenage girls stems from sexism and (not necessarily sexual) fetishism of female virginity.

I just think it's funnier to accuse them of repressed incestuous feelings. The result is the same.
ah yes, this echos my sentiment that "the only time Freud is useful is when it helps make fun of or piss someone off"

That's one thing Freudian psychology is always good for.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Age of consent in Poland is 16. BTW I'll have to check it, but I'm pretty sure the whole forcible castration thing isn't going to be passed thanks to public opinion. Nearly everybody was outraged when it was announced.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Murtak wrote:So even assuming you are correct in that pedophilia is vastly harder to quantify than, say, determine whether a murderer will kill again, the obvious solution is to keep those offenders in prison, no? Essentially you are saying "well, they did their time so we let them rejoin society, but we are not going to ever trust them again". That is lunacy. If you don't trust them, keep them locked up. If you do, don't stigmatize them. I assume the US has some sort of system to make sure pedophiles don't get to work in kindergardens (just as convicted fraudsters aren't allowed to work at a bank)? If so, that should suffice (and I am not sure even that much is needed).
Clearly they do not belong “in jail.” On the other hand the “time” in jail really doesn’t address the underlying root cause of their condition. Some may still not be “safe” around children; some others may be strongly tempted by them. (Part of the problem of pedophilia is that those who are successful are often good con men; they are literally the person you least suspect. They are also good at conning themselves as well.)

I’ve seen this problem in a different situation; with alcoholism. I have a friend who I’ve worked with in the past. He was a contractor. He got into trouble. He wound up in jail; spending several months in prison. After he was released he at first seemed that he understood his problem, but soon he relapsed and now he’s back in jail and this time I think they have thrown away the key.

This is the problem we face. Many people are serious but others are not. How do we tell the two? How do we keep those who are serious from not relapsing? I think we need to design within the community areas where people with problems can be minimally involved with the root triggers of their problems. I think we have to be more pro-active in this area, respecting their rights within the society but at the same time acknowledging that those rights also come with responsibilities to the larger community as a whole.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
The idea is supposed to be that the lowest level is for 17-year-olds who have sex with fifteen year old girlfriends
Retards.
First of all, they are not retards. There are good reasons in general for looking at 17 year olds having sex with fifteen year old girlfriends in a negative light. In the first case those few years can be a major difference in a person’s life. For the girl, this could be the freshman year High School and for the guy the senior year. What then are the motives for the guy (and why isn’t he dating girls of his age or class) and what are the motives for the girl (is she looking at this senior guy more as a father figure). These things are important because the frontal cortex has not fully developed at that age to dampen sudden impulses.

Fathers are generally overprotective of their daughters because on the one hand, they were boys once and on the other hand they know that boys don’t get pregnant.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Senate Finance Committee adds $50 million dollar earmark for abstinence programs that have proven not to work.

Why would you vote conservative, if this is their idea of spending thriftily?

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I should make my wife register as a sex offender. After all, we didn't stop having sex when she turned 18 and I was still 17. I had no idea what a terrible person she was being. Even now my psyche must be terribly damaged--so damaged that I think it's normal!

Excuse me while I go cry in the shower while eating the rest of my Chips Ahoy!.

On a totally unrelated note, why was East Germany such a shithole compared to West Germany?
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

tzor wrote:What then are the motives for the guy (and why isn’t he dating girls of his age or class)
She's hot. She's cool. She doesn't know his personal history.
tzor wrote:and what are the motives for the girl (is she looking at this senior guy more as a father figure).
He has a car.

:D
Last edited by Maj on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Maj wrote:
tzor wrote:What then are the motives for the guy (and why isn’t he dating girls of his age or class)
She's hot. She's cool. She doesn't know his personal history.
He was so socially repressed and anti-social he doesn't associate with people his own age but rather people in the social group he went through high school with, which includes her.
tzor wrote:and what are the motives for the girl (is she looking at this senior guy more as a father figure).
He has a car.
He acted as a mentor on something, he reminds her of the person who founded her religion.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Prak_Anima wrote:he reminds her of the person who founded her religion.
As someone who was widely considered in high school to "look like Jesus" I assure you this is not a winning girl bait strategy.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

PhoneLobster wrote:As someone who was widely considered in high school to "look like Jesus"
I didn't know you were black, PL.

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:he reminds her of the person who founded her religion.
As someone who was widely considered in high school to "look like Jesus" I assure you this is not a winning girl bait strategy.
Seconded.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I didn't know you were black, PL.
Not the "real" Jesus silly. Or the nearly blond six foot tall ultra white Jesus either. The one where he is just a bit swarthy because they were only halfway through anglicizing him. And from when the artists were mostly swarthy Italian types anyway. That one, you know "Wog Jesus".

And anyway. As almost entirely white as I am I was about the blackest damn guy most of my high school had ever seen closer than 50 meters. I mean, fuck, I'm not even blond.

There were actual aboriginals in the area but they knew how to keep their heads down and stay out of school to avoid trouble. I may be only about 2% black but that 2% was 100% "uppity".
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, why was East Germany such a shithole compared to West Germany?
They divvied up Germany after WWII. The USSR got the eastern half, and the USSR had Stalin in charge. Stalin may or may not have had a reason to care much about their welfare.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =113223398

Spider-silk tapestry.

How cool is that?
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!