Reflavoring/Reskinning Abilities

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Reflavoring/Reskinning Abilities

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

One of my players for a 4E game wants to do the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure thing and have a stand. But they also don't want to be a shaman and I don't really blame them since Shamans are lame. But Beastmaster rangers are even lamer, so...

But anyway they want their Beast to be a stand like Silver Chariot where it is actually a knight that stabs with their rapier and does sword maneuvers rather than just biting. Their character's weapons are actually an extension of the stand (with the whole magical item economy handwaved) when they attack and all that.

It seems okay, if a bit far-fetched. But my question is... when the mechanics don't go far enough to support a concept, what is, in your opinion, the limit of it?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Well, I'm of the school of thought that the sky's the limit for reflavoring if you can make it make sense. Like with your player wanting to be a Stand user in the vein of Silver Chariot, SC usually stuck close to Polnareff and attacked for him. As such, you just say that his Twin Strike Ranger abilities or whatever are just his Stand attacking quicker than the human eye or the Ruffling Strike being the character threatening in one place, while the Stand harries the opponent.

What you write on your character sheet and what you say you are as a character can be mutually exclusive. It's taking the "Pally 3/Rogue 3/Ranger 2 is a Swashbuckler" idiom to it's logical extreme.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

The only limits are your imagination, really. I've got a guy planning to play a character using Leadership exclusively to have a ghost following him around, and I've been experimenting in using the Soulborn as a sort of "tech-knight" by having the soulmelds actually be "tools", like those of Edgar from FF6. It works surprisingly well.

There are sometimes little issues like energy types not being accurate, but minor little mechanical adjustments that don't really affect the balance of things aren't necesarily a bad idea either. Making the warlock's eldritch blast deal cold instead of fire damage isn't going to adversely affect the game in any way, after all.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Mauver wrote:Making the warlock's eldritch blast deal cold instead of fire damage isn't going to adversely affect the game in any way, after all.
The converse of this is that you need to make sure that all you're changing is flavor. For example, in 4e, the margins are so tiny that even changes like this can have relatively big changes. Using Mauver's example of changing eldritch blast, you've increased the expected damage of eldritch blast by about 25% just by making it cold-typed, because cold is one of the winner damage types.

This assumes you care about that sort of thing, admittedly.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

There are basically two aspects to the flavor of any given ability: Its inherent flavor, which is actually mechanically integrated, and all the other fluff, which you can totally change all you like without really impacting the mechanics.

Inherent flavor is stuff that derives directly from the game mechanics and *nothing else*. Stuff like "Disintegrate leaves a dead target without a terribly usable corpe" or "Disintegrate, for whatever reason, requires a fortitude save to partially reduce its potency" is inherent flavor, while stuff like "Disintegrate turns you into a pile of ash" or "Disintegrate is a green laser beam" is not.

Whether you use fire or cold falls into the inherent flavor category, assuming fire and cold are actually mechanical damage types with actual meaning in game mechanics, etc etc. Of course, you can totally change inherent flavor too... you just need to actually think about the mechanical impact in that case.

The limits are your imagination.
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

A Man In Black wrote:
Mauver wrote:Making the warlock's eldritch blast deal cold instead of fire damage isn't going to adversely affect the game in any way, after all.
The converse of this is that you need to make sure that all you're changing is flavor. For example, in 4e, the margins are so tiny that even changes like this can have relatively big changes. Using Mauver's example of changing eldritch blast, you've increased the expected damage of eldritch blast by about 25% just by making it cold-typed, because cold is one of the winner damage types.

This assumes you care about that sort of thing, admittedly.
Eh, eventually I bit the bullet and picked up that Versatile Eldritch Blast feat that some guy posted a while ago anyway. I actually used Acid, since I thought it suited my poison-themed warlock better than fire did. I doubt it had any real effect on the way the game played out in the end.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Oh really? Did you grab the one that scaled to character level or the one that lets you trade damage dice for effects, but gives you all the options at once?

I think I preferred the first version, partially because the second was kind of overwhelming in terms of the options it gave. I wanted Warlocks with the feat not to have access to every energy type. If I let the PC pick any type, there wouldn't be much point to the Hellfire/Unholy blasts later on.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

The scaling one. The presence of negative energy makes it pretty close to evading ER too, though; if you just get fire and negative energy there's not a lot out there that has resistance to negative energy and against undead you can just destroy them with fire instead.

In any case, I took acid and negative energy, and used the latter to blast myself for healing since I had the Death sphere. 8)