4e complaining, 2010 style - split from Lago's Kickass etc.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

FrankTrollman wrote:So "Time Mage" is a concept because I can use those two words and imply that the character has the power to speed things up, slow things down, possibly stop things or instantly hop from one place to another. That's intellectually complicated, but it's distillable into just two words.
For reference: Stoplight Man
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

One of the backgrounds in Martial Power 2 is "Camp Follower." I suppose it's better than Slovenly Trollup...
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

PHB3 wrote:Harmonious Thunder, Monk Daily Attack 1
Daily ✦ Implement, Psionic, Thunder
Standard Action, Melee touch
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + Dexterity modifier thunder damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: When one of the targets takes damage, the other takes thunder damage equal to your Strength modifier. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until one of the targets drops to 0 hit points.
It's a one-power infinite loop!
Last edited by A Man In Black on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

A Man In Black wrote:
PHB3 wrote:Harmonious Thunder, Monk Daily Attack 1
Daily ✦ Implement, Psionic, Thunder
Standard Action, Melee touch
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + Dexterity modifier thunder damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: When one of the targets takes damage, the other takes thunder damage equal to your Strength modifier. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until one of the targets drops to 0 hit points.
It's a one-power infinite loop!
That is hilariously dumb. +5 4re points for the the first retard to claim that is not an instant kill on two enemies.

RC?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Well, I don't remember exactly how to parse 4E powers, but I *think* you should have to hit one of them again after using the power.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The effect line happens regardless of the attack roll, and in many case modifies the attack roll, so it presumably takes effect before the damage is rolled.

Of course, it ends when one of the targets dies, and it does its damage in small discreet units (your Strength Modifier). So even before we get into the fact that any critter with enough Thunder resist blocks it, the power only actually drops the enemy with the least hit points and severely damages the one with the most hit points.

The number of times you'll be able to get two elites into melee range and cause them both to instantly explode are going to be pretty rare. But it is crazy larger than any other damaging move that they have available. And it's just sort of obvious, since it generates its own trigger with its triggered effect.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Why do they make abilities which always synergize best with themselves?

-Crissa
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

The real question is if they'll even bother to errata that or they'll just do the typical "this edition is dead, fuck errata" bullshit they did with 3.5 when it was dying.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Crissa wrote:Why do they make abilities which always synergize best with themselves?

-Crissa
When everything is the same, one thing is as good as any other. So why not just cut the crap and spam the same moves party wide? And so they did.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.