Arioch's Campaign Setting thread: Classes (brainstorm)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Arioch's Campaign Setting thread: Classes (brainstorm)

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I have given some thought as to what class I will use for the aforementioned prehistoric-based campaign setting I am working on. Here is the base class list. Note that I'm more or less scrapping most of the existing classes in favor of revised ones, I have revised Ranger at 55% and am working on a few others. However, I want to run the base class list by you guys to see if I have a good selection of class roles as a starting option.

Fighter: as per Tome of Battle

Barbarian: Also, as per Tome of Battle

Monk: The "monk" concept will resemble the FF style of monk: the lightly armored guy with tons of HP that deals devastating damage with unarmed attacks.

Ranger: Full BaB class with bardic caster progression and a revised Favored Enemy mechanic. Heavily int based

Rogue: As PHB

Shaman: Based loosely off the OA shaman. Will feature buffs heavily with some healing and spirit-talking necromancy.

Healer: Based off the Miniatures handbook healer, except I will remove the alignment, loosen the code of conduct a bit, and add some stuff. Thinking of adding in the inflict line of spells, cause disease and poison, etc. Thinking of adding in a better BaB and a channel spell ability.

Beguiler: Not messing with this one too much, except I'm adding the "Psionic" tag.

Psion: Revised into a theme caster. The Psion will be the remote viewing, telepathic, spoonbending and mind bullet psionic character. Will have the most divination type abilities.

Wilder: Revised into a theme caster. The Wilder will be an unstable, carrie-style blaster. Will need to find some sort of secondary thing to the wilder to do since everyone deals damage. Maybe movement-based abilities?

Druid: Another theme caster. Will make heavy use of the Dungeonomicon revision of Polymorph, also nature stuff. Haven't decided on an animal companion yet.

Artificer: Haven't decided what I want to do with this one. I do know I want there to be friendly alien bug people that make bizarre things out of crystal and mud, but I haven't decided where I want/need for the artificer to go. Maybe an effigy and homunculus-based pet class? I do know that the Eberon version isn't really usable.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Tome of Battle above means Races of War, right? Because there's no fighter or barbarian as such in 'Tome of Battle: the book of nine swords'. I'm not sure a rogue is up to par with a Races of War fighter without serious UMD abuse, and that's also on your class list.

The Healer sucks, inflict wounds sucks, cause disease/poison aren't that amazing. Combining them doesn't seem bound to yield a useful PC.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Yeah, I meant Races of War, my apologies.

Go you have any suggestions for a potential healer class?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Do you have any suggestions for a potential healer class?
Only that buffs and stunlocks are generally superior to healing spells in 3e D&D. You could go the 4e route of making healing wildly better until people jerk off on it, or you could just accept that fact and give the healer character non-spell based combat actions. Weapon use is obvious. If the character gets a decent spear thrust for use in combat and their spells really only provide healing, then they'll use their spells for healing. And still contribute in battle.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

FrankTrollman wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Do you have any suggestions for a potential healer class?
Only that buffs and stunlocks are generally superior to healing spells in 3e D&D. You could go the 4e route of making healing wildly better until people jerk off on it, or you could just accept that fact and give the healer character non-spell based combat actions. Weapon use is obvious. If the character gets a decent spear thrust for use in combat and their spells really only provide healing, then they'll use their spells for healing. And still contribute in battle.

-Username17
I think I would prefer to give the healer non-spell based actions. I was between giving a healer full BaB and partial BaB, but I think I might bump it to full BaB.