"Less Basic RPG" needs a better name

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

"Less Basic RPG" needs a better name

Post by Lokathor »

Less Basic RPG was named because at first I saw it as a very simple project to patch up a few holes in BFRPG. However, as I started writing things down, I ended up writing more things down and now it's not really recognizably connected to BFRPG other than "It has 4 classes and spells top out at 6th level". Even before that shift in focus, LBRPG was a rather lamely derivative name.

And now that I'm almost done with a complete first draft for levels 1st through 3rd, I need a new better name for the game. Current top runner is "Worlds and Wyverns", simply because "___ and ___" is a classic format. I'm sure there has to be something better. Doesn't there? Maybe?

So anyways, to review about the game and its default setting stuff (should it somehow inspire you to a name):
[*]The game is based primarily upon old-school dnd style. Random treasures without wealth by level, simple classes (Ftr, Rog, Wiz, Cle) and races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Goblin, Gnome), very heavy focus on dungeons exploration rather than "talking in town" stuff, XP is about 20% combat 80% loot "recovery".
[*]"Kitchen Sink Setting" is in effect. Oodles of monsters and things to face, both in the world and from outside the world.
[*]Alignment completely removed from the system, but still a "great wheel" sort of planar cosmology, with the prime/ethereal/shadow and astral and inner and outer planes. If possible, throw spelljamming on top of that because what the hell right?
[*]Adventurers are primarily 1st through 10th level. After 10th humanoids stop gaining more hit dice (+2hp/level; and monsters can have more than 10HD), so they're heavily encouraged to settle down and carve out a section of the world to become ruler of. If they keep adventuring they can get up to 14th or 15th level or so before the universe finally kicks them out of the mortal "section" and makes them demigods or something.
[*]Wizard magic is science left over from an ancient age, cleric magic is absolute faith in the validity of their cause (even if their god doesn't exist or is dead or something). Fighters get really good at fighting, and rogues get to be the "lucky, quick, opportunist" types.

So, uh, yeah. Any thoughts?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Moonglum
NPC

Post by Moonglum »

Face-Stabbings and Fortunes.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Lairs and Looting.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Assholes and Adventurers
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Daggers and Demons
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Tables & Formulas
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Psychos and Succubi
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Catharz there's actually a very minimal number of tables, particularly on the player's end of it. I'm trying to embrace the idea that you can have a game where the player's are explained the setting and very minimal rules (enough so that the GM can use common game terms like "make an attack roll") and then the GM knows all the rest of the rules and he resolves it all in his head. Not that the player's can't known the rules or anything like that, but that they don't have to learn it all to start playing right away, and then as they take an interest in the game they can learn more if they want.

"Face-Stabbings and Fortunes" seems the best so far. It'd have to be FSNF for short though, because FSF is kinda taken. Or it could be FnF I suppose. FnF would be cool. Either way, it pretty much explains the "you're actually rather bad people, but you're rich and powerful so people can't argue" feel of the game.

I'm trying to avoid acronym clash in general. So LnL is sadly out because of how close it is to Labyrinth Lords (LL), and Daggers and Demons for the obvious DnD. Though, both of those are extremely good otherwise. AnA has a very mature feel, which would be good if I was going for more adult style content, but preferably this would be something you could introduce a 12 year old to (though 12 year olds shouldn't be face-stabbing either really, I guess). Psychos and Succubi would be an awesome medieval version of WoD, since everyone in the WoD universe seems to be perpetually crazy.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

"I stab it in the face and take its stuff: the Role-Playing Game"
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Scary Places and Mythical Creatures
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

oh come on, that doesn't even alliterate! You can do better.
Failing since 1989

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Baubles and Bugbears?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Remember, Avoraciopoctules (whos name I can hardly speak aloud), that it's not always about stabbing things in the face: It's often just about getting the treasure and getting away alive.

Edit: Violence you are once again a wordsmith I am impressed by, "Baubles and Bugbears" takes the lead.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Creatures Ugly and Terrible
Fantastic Undertakings and Cunning Knights
Fantasy Adventures to Adult Lechery
Savage Horrors and Impetuous Travelers

Really, the sky is the limit when you don't limit yourself two a two letter iterated acronym.

-Username17
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Really, the sky is the limit when you don't limit yourself two a two letter iterated acronym.

-Username17
Yeah, break free and name your game based on what its about so something like

Justifed Genocide and the accompaning redistrubtion of wealth
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

Actually "Justified Genocide: Redistribution of Wealth" isn't a bad name.
Failing since 1989

souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Utterfail wrote:Actually "Justified Genocide: Redistribution of Wealth" isn't a bad name.
That game would end up being abbriviated like JG:RoW. I think you might even get people to prounouce it J-u-G-R-O-O. Although realistically people would probably just call it RoW (Prnounced probably
R-O-O)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Compradore: the Cleansing

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Perhaps "Justifying Genocide: Redistribution of Wealth [to Yourself]" might be more honest.

But I like "Fantasy Gaming: Stabbing Faces, Dialogue, and Spelunking".
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

"Liba-Farpig:
The game of Daring Dungeoneers Delving into Deadly Demenses"
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Dragon: The Looting

or

Adventurer: Teh Killin'
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Well, as the tomes teach us, it's not quite actually Genocide. Starting a game title with "justifying genocide" might also be a little too inflammatory. Remember that we want most people to be willing to play the game as well.

"Fantasy Gaming: Stabbing Faces, Dialogue, and Spelunking" -- FG:FSDS. Hmm. FG:Death, Talking, Mud? FG:Fighting, Blasting, Loot?

FG:Loot In Old Nooks.
FG:Travel, Investigate, Glean, Explore, Recover.
FG:Breaking, Entering, Aggression, Rewards.
oh my.

FG:Bugbears Lear As Characters Kabob Lots Of Them Upon Swords. I'm better at acronyms already.

Any name ideas without punctuation marks in them?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Monsters and Mayhem
Accursed Oubliettes (and those that brave them)
Apotheosis: Of Gods and Heroes
Traps and Treasures

Or maybe... 'Hack & Slash: The XPening'?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Red_Rob wrote:'Hack & Slash: The XPening'?
Am I the only one who reads that as 'Ecks-peening'?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Lokathor wrote:"Fantasy Gaming: Stabbing Faces, Dialogue, and Spelunking" -- FG:FSDS. Hmm. FG:Death, Talking, Mud? FG:Fighting, Blasting, Loot?