Mary Sue: Magical Tea Party [Brainstorming]

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Mary Sue: Magical Tea Party [Brainstorming]

Post by Judging__Eagle »

What would or could this game look like?

Throwing the best tea party, preparing interesting food, and tear; then inviting the most interesting guests, and then stuff happens?

Actualy, holy crap, that sounds like a good idea for some fantasy adventures right there. I've had a tea party as part of an adventure once, the PCs traded a magical honey pot for a table centrepiece after taking on swarums of hell wasps with their various AoE attacks.

I think someone wrote up some adventure ideas for this as well.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's relatively difficult to have all the characters be Mary Sue in a cooperative storytelling game, because the Mary Sue has to be better than everyone else at their job. Which leads to a rather self defeating spiral of one-upmanship.

I suppose that you could have a game set up kind of like Münchhausen, where literally every player one-ups the player before them in a constant stream of manic craziness. Or you could have each player "discover" a new ability of their character every time they were called upon to act. That would get pretty Mary Suish pretty fast.

"Remember, your character is the most special character in the entire campaign world, as is the character of every other player."

Why?

-Username17
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

That's very fair Frank. I guess that regular ttrpgs are about as close to mary sues for each character as you can get without everything exploding.

"I had my cat baby in the hospital."

"I'm invisible right now."

Except... she actually goes invisible. Which only makes everything she said more confusing. Perhaps she's a Children of Aether with a ritual power schedule that involves conflation and/or disbelief in her abilities when she declares them... or something.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

So this is everyone being super awesome and really good at everything?

That sounds like a [Tome] Gestalt game to me...
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

omg, I can't decide if yes, or no.

Honestly, I'd just say no b/c of the complexity that is required to build characters in 3.5. It's too complicated, and takes too much time.