What is the wish economy?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: What is the wish economy?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

b/c if they did, we'd have heard about it.

Then again. The classical 'Wishing' genie gave an infinite amount of wealth to Aladdin.

Literally, infinite.

It could give him all the gold he wanted, but couldn't get a Roc's egg. It was also a genius.

Of course, I'm basing this off my reading Burton's translation of the 1,001 Arabian nights.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Chuckles
NPC

Post by Chuckles »

I'm still not getting this.

I've heard people say that the wish economy represents literature, but in books, its dangerous to bind demons to grant wishes. So it certainly wouldn't have occurred on such a scale as to change an economy.

It costs more exp to get to 11th level, then to create an item. Besides 11th level doesn't always grant access to wish anyways, so I don't get exp being the limit on item creation.

A Pit fiend may be only able to teleport with 50lb's, but a fighter is probably carrying that just in armor, not to mention shields and weapons, and a light horse can carry 150lb's as a light load. So while massive amounts of gold are not pocket change, we can look at horse and carts as the credit cards of the medieval world. And again, a wizards greater teleport will carry significantly more weight that a pit fiends.

Planar currency doesn't mean much to most of the world, while gold does. So a 5th level cleric can't do much with Raw Chaos for his Lantern of Revealing, but with the 30k he would get, well that could be useful.

Plus the fact that 17th level wizards still need cash, because 9th level spells as scrolls are still for sale.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The basic idea is that you can summon an efreeti with Lesser Planar Binding, and then have it grant you wishes. If it resists your spell and attacks, it's a CR 8 creature against a party of readied level 9 characters. You have all the time in the world to get it or the next summoned efreeti to do your bidding.

Also, the rules of the Wish spell don't allow for vindictive interpretations unless you wish for more than what's on the list. Because it's a spell-like ability, it costs the efreeti no experience points, and can thusly create anything the wisher wants.

Heck, if you feel uncomfortable doing such things with an evil efreeti, summon a noble dijinn. It's a good creature, and Planar Binding is capturing as far as I can tell, yet you still get your three wishes.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Wish doesn't disrupt the economy on the Material Plane, because almost everyone on the Material Plane is a commoner. Unless you're playing in Forgotten Realms, in which case, a good 25% of the population is high-level wizards, and you'll never find an NPC without at least 3 levels in a PC class, because Forgotten Realms is dumb.

Point being, since people who have reached a high enough level can just get as much gold as they want, and they're the only people who can make items worth more than 15,000 gp, gold is worthless to them, and so buying items worth more than that would take something other than gold.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

The wish economy also makes any item below that 15,000 gp threshold trivial to obtain. So you could just say that every 15th level adventurer has a wand of cure <blank> wounds hidden away in their pants, instead of requiring them to keep track of stupid crap like that.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1175629718[/unixtime]]Wish doesn't disrupt the economy on the Material Plane, because almost everyone on the Material Plane is a commoner. Unless you're playing in Forgotten Realms, in which case, a good 25% of the population are author self inserts, and you'll never find an NPC without at least 3 levels in a PC class, because Forgotten Realms is dumb.

Fixed it for you.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Thanks. :)
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I hate the FR.

B/c it screws with my simulationist, narrative and gamist tendancies.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Nihlin
Journeyman

Post by Nihlin »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1175697013[/unixtime]]I hate the FR.

B/c it screws with my simulationist, narrative and gamist tendancies.

Wait, so it screws with your ability to have any kind of creative agenda at all?

...actually, yeah, I can see that.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

It also lacks any kind of interesting concept. Except maybe the "enough high-level characters to make a football league, and then still enough high-level characters to make a football league out of that football league". Blargh.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

No, it screws with my concept of logic, player flexibiity of choice and sense of mechanical cohesion.

I mean, seriously, the FR is an area the size of.... spain, or france; with more nations than Europe ever had.

It has 'supposedly' enough lvl 20 NPCs to run a professional footall league, but still needs adventurers?

It's 'created' material is so unoriginal that even a single one of Frank's "made up" societies have more new ideas than almost any collection of FR books; making it really limiting for someone who doesn't want to play "lets pretend we're in a medieval land, only there's lots of magic everywhere; but we'll pretend it actually does nothing to change the way people live."

And, of course, b/c you have about 200-500 lvl 20 PCs, you have any number of lvl 5 PCs to spook the players at lvl 1.

Which means that FR is a good campaign setting for weak DMs. =/

Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

You think maybe our Eberron DM would like to run FR?
Chuckles
NPC

Post by Chuckles »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1175629718[/unixtime]]Wish doesn't disrupt the economy on the Material Plane, because almost everyone on the Material Plane is a commoner.

So unless you have high level wizards getting whatever they want, you don't need to worry about 'wish and the economy', is that what I'm hearing?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1175707943[/unixtime]]You think maybe our Eberron DM would like to run FR?

As soon as he brought in the lvl 5 and 10 NPCs we were playing FR.

Lvl 10 in Eberron is bloody Epic and whole power groups know your name.

Lvl 20 means everyone has heard of you in Eberron.

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Chuckles at [unixtime wrote:1175708457[/unixtime]]
Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1175629718[/unixtime]]Wish doesn't disrupt the economy on the Material Plane, because almost everyone on the Material Plane is a commoner.

So unless you have high level wizards getting whatever they want, you don't need to worry about 'wish and the economy', is that what I'm hearing?

Well, Wish can't disrupt the economy b/c the people who use it aren't going to lower th prices of stuff that they can sell and the people who want something can't afford it.

Supply and Demand only works if the people who Demand can afford what is supplied.

Sixth level PCs can't really afford anything more than a +2-+3 armour and a +1-+2 weapon; if they could buy better gear, they could, but they need more cash. Cash that is really useless in the greater scheme of things.

Actaully, a good analogy of this would be Diablo 2.

Gold is literally the crap you use to repair your hot-shit gear.

It has no other use after a certain point.

You can get better gear than what the NPCs can sell you by going and slaying a major demon a few times.

It's the same in D&D. At first gold is useful to buy equipment (magical or at least superior) that might be better than what you can currently find (broken, worn out, rusted gear).

After you've gone around and killed some very tough monsters, you tend to find better gear by going on difficult missions.

Eventually, the best that the people in town can do for you is to help you replace your 'rations' (potions/town portal scrolls/identify scrolls), sell stuff that you don't want and use the resultant gold to bring your damaged equipment up to full, so that you can go back out and fight some more to find better gear.

Of course, D&D replaces the "killing monsters" with a few more options such as: "Killing monsters or champions of evil"; "harvesting extraplanar currency" (which, could very well be a result of killing monsters); "creating magical items"

There is also the fact that higher level characters don't want competition from lower level characters (b/c they might kill you, some day); which is why 'free' items to a lvl 11 PC aren't given away to lower level PCs. So the people at the top have a vested interest in not selling for less.

On the other hand, sneaky PCs can finangle a way to get access to Wish at very low levels. At which point the DM should tell them that they can't tap into their secret method of getting into the Wish economy unless the whole party can as well.

On the other hand, a crafty DM will make Wish valueless, by awarding custom items that are worth more than 15,000 gp and have wierd restrictions (to prevent their being stolen by higher level characters).

That, or charge the PCs 50-100 xp per candle of invocation that they Wish for. Nah, 200+ xp per candle.

Genies don't like to have to give out "free tickets" to more Wishes, so they charge extree for them.

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

If you're playing normal D&D, Candle of Invocation should not exist. It is *by far* the most broken item in the entire game, because (in normal D&D) you can never set a price for it where it isn't worthwhile to just put all your monies in a pile and trade everything your entire party has for one of these. The only item that even comes close is the Thought Bottle. Just excise it from the game.

If you're dealing with the Wish economy already, you can instead go ahead and make it 15,001 gp. That's still too low (chain-Gate Titans for the win!), but at least it isn't wishable.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Actually, I prefer to make the Candle of Invocation exactly 15,000 gp, so that it is still accessable under the Wish economy, but only when the PC's are at the level where the Wish economy isn't game-breaking, simply expected wealth.
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

That would allow everyone pretty much equal access to the wish economy, because you can either cast planar binding yourself, or buy the candle.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Of course, if people find the Wish economy to be truly disruptive for whatever reason, the solution is simple and only requires these two easy steps on the part of the DM.

Step 1: Genies don't exist.

Step 2: Nothing gets Wish as a spell-like or supernatural ability.

Problem solved. I don't see it would be a problem, myself, but there you have it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I mean, seriously, the FR is an area the size of.... spain, or france; with more nations than Europe ever had.

I don't know that that's true. Let's consider the countries in Europe in 1453:

1. Albania
  2. Alsace
  3. Aragon
  4. Athens
  5. Austria
  6. Auvergne
  7. Avignon
  8. Baden
  9. Bavaria
  10. Bohemia
  11. Bosnia
  12. Brandenburg
  13. Bremen
  14. Brittany
  15. Brunswick
  16. Burgundy
  17. Candar
  18. Castille
  19. Catalunya
  20. Cleves
  21. Cologne
  22. Connacht
  23. Corfu
  24. Cyprus
  25. Dauphine
  26. Denmark
  27. England
  28. Flanders
  29. Foix
  30. France
  31. Friesland
  32. Gelre
  33. Genoa
  34. Granada
  35. Hamburg
  36. Hannover
  37. Hesse
  38. Hungary
  39. Karaman
  40. The Knights of Malta
  41. Leinster
  42. Liege
  43. Lithuania
  44. Lorraine
  45. Luneburg
  46. Mainz
  47. Maldive
  48. Mantua
  49. Mazrovia
  50. Mecklenburg
  51. Milan
  52. Modena
  53. Moldavia
  54. Montenegro
  55. Munster
  56. Münster
  57. Naxos
  58. Northumberland
  59. Norway
  60. Novgorod
  61. Oldenburg
  62. Orleans
  63. The Ottoman Empire
  64. The Palatinate
  65. The Papal State
  66. Pommerania
  67. Portugal
  68. Provence
  69. Pskov
  70. Ragusa
  71. Riga
  72. Salzburg
  73. Sardina
  74. Savoy
  75. Saxony
  76. Schweiz
  77. Scotland
  78. Serbia
  79. Sicily
  80. Silecia
  81. Sweden
  82. The Teutonic Order
  83. Toulouse
  84. Transylvania
  85. Tuscany
  86. Tyrone
  87. Urbino
  88. Urbino
  89. Venice
  90. Wallachia
  91. Wurtenburg
  92. Wurzburg

You know, unless I forgot one or two...

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You're talking city states for a lot of those power groups though.

However, that is an impressive list.

What if we added 100+ lvl 20 PCs? (or how many lvl 20 PCs exist in FR).

Plus, even larger areas of Europe have been amalgamated in the past by different power groups, without modern technology or magic.

The forgotten realms just seems like no one considered what lvl 20 wizards are capable of. Especially ones that want to take over the world. Since there are such characters at that high of a level.

Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1175745374[/unixtime]]Actually, I prefer to make the Candle of Invocation exactly 15,000 gp, so that it is still accessable under the Wish economy, but only when the PC's are at the level where the Wish economy isn't game-breaking, simply expected wealth.

Because once you hit mid levels, everyone should cast as a cleric 20.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Frank, should I be impressed I can place most of those on a map? (Also, you have 2 repeats: Munster and Urbino).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1175826001[/unixtime]]Frank, should I be impressed I can place most of those on a map? (Also, you have 2 repeats: Munster and Urbino).

Urbino is indeed doubled up. However Munster and Münster are totally different. Munster was a Monarchy in southern Ireland and Münster was a theocracy in Western Germania. Not even related.

Also, I forgot Armanac (Basque land), Luxumburg, and Pskov & Crimea (both of which are in fact in eastern Europe though they feel more like Central Asian nations).

-Username17
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I also prefer to simply take away the cleric casting boost. That was a dumb idea to begin with.