Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

If it's your CD key (& not just one you got on the net), then yeah, boot them.

The Greece Stain map is less pretty even than a random map. And yes, that bothers me.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Zinegata wrote:Hmm. Well, if there's Atlantis but no R'lyeh then I guess Atlantis alongside Ermor are currently the threats to world peace :D.
There's no R'lyeh? Ack, missed that somehow. Now if only I could submerge my capital... :toilet:
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Shiritai wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Hmm. Well, if there's Atlantis but no R'lyeh then I guess Atlantis alongside Ermor are currently the threats to world peace :D.
There's no R'lyeh? Ack, missed that somehow. Now if only I could submerge my capital... :toilet:
... Am I the only one who actually reads the first post and tries to figure out what the starting landscape of the game will be? >_>;;;

Anyway, Zine's (probably hugely mistaken) pre-game analysis:

Ermor will be big in this game. They have lots of time to expand and by the time we start warring it will probably be midgame, wherein Ermor excels.

Atlantis will also be big as they don't really have any competition for water areas. And with high gem production, unless Atlantis is totally kicked out of land we're gonna be in deep trouble in the late game.

The other nations I can't really say. I know Mictlan and Gath are blood nations, which a big map helps out on. But the early game "Threat to World Peace" watch should be focused on Atlantis and Ermor.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Man's actually the only LA nation I've read a strategy guide for. Apparently they can combine cheap patrolling heroes & growth scales to make lots and lots of money, then build lots of forts and use sneaky heroes with a siege bonus to defend them.

Which implies that Man will be a significant power by the mid-game. I guess their endgame would involve communions, a lot of the sneaky heroes above have Astral magic.

No idea how that matches against Atlantis or Ermor, but it sounds like a problem for my howling Mongol hordes. I'll have to work on a counter if I start anywhere near them.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Ermor's plan goes like this:

A) Free spawn a million billion undead

B) Put up a really nasty global like burden of time or utterdark that they don't give a shit about

C) Try and survive the subsequent storm and micromanagement insanity

Atlantis gets a boost from the map being big, but has the disadvantage of not being good.

Also, ermor can go in the fucking water as well, so don't think it's just a free ride for atlantis.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

cthulhu->

Yeah, Ermor can go into water too, but the undead fight very poorly in water. Ermor is much better off killing us land-based folks first then dealing with Atlantis later.

Funnily, if R'lyeh was in the game we should all probably be backing Atlantis to save the world from the squidfaced menace :D.

If Ermor is willing to go for sea and leave the rest of us alone though, well... that may be worth a treaty or two :D.
Orca wrote:Man's actually the only LA nation I've read a strategy guide for.
Yeah, I read the guide too. I like being prepared :D.

Man's main strength is that I can basically hold my castles indefinitely. I'm probably the least attractive target at any time in the game.

My problem is that while I'm a great defensive power, my offense is severely limited throughout the game. I'm generally stuck with regular troops, some sneaky ones, and a couple of low-level casters. It's significant that the guide actually advocates avoiding most battles and encourages a "toothpick and crevice" sort of warfare.

Also... Unless I take an SC my early game expansion will be limited to regular troops (don't believe the guide - longbowmen and defenders can get screwed fairly easily against indies), and I will generally have to forgo research for the first year while I make judges. Yes, judges let me tax at 120% - but until I get another fort up I can't make researchers.

So, honestly, I'd be quite happy if I even make it into the lategame, and would be quite surprised if I was anything more than the game's Switzerland (stays neutral, serves as a broker for agreements and trade, very hard nut to crack if attacked).

Also, regarding Atlantis/Ermor...

Atlantis I can't really do much about (I have no water units or even water gems). But with pretty cheap Bishops and massed Longbows I could hurt Ermor with an offensive. If there's a general crusade to rid the undead, then I may join in. But if Ermor doesn't seem to be the threat to world peace that it typically is (and if Ermor gives some concessions *wink*) then I will remain Switzerland.

As for the Mongol Hordes...

I'm actually willing to discuss borders if we start out near each other. Given the map size, it's likely that by the time we bump into each other I'd have some castles up, which would be very difficult for you to siege. So instead of us killing each other, why not go for peace?

This offer of early peace treaty with clearly defined borders is open to everyone I encounter.

(And yes, I'm a player that pays a lot of attention to the metagame.)
K
King

Post by K »

LA Ermor's tactical niche is basically tossing down every destructive global and laughing their ass off. The Utterdark will destroy just about every unit with a cost in about three turns, and Burden of Time is so nasty that people will burn through a lot of gems to take it down.

The trick is that Ermor is the king of death gems. They really can toss down a global so big nations need to pool gems to take down.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I discovered that Mictlan can go into the water.
If I start near water.
Monkeys should be able to go to --> Nagas
K
King

Post by K »

Korwin wrote:I discovered that Mictlan can go into the water.
If I start near water.
Monkeys should be able to go to --> Nagas
LA Mictlan gets Atlantians underwater and can make PD and castles down there. It's pretty neat.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

K wrote:LA Mictlan gets Atlantians underwater and can make PD and castles down there. It's pretty neat.
Any unique underwater recruitables or mages?
K
King

Post by K »

Akula wrote:
K wrote:LA Mictlan gets Atlantians underwater and can make PD and castles down there. It's pretty neat.
Any unique underwater recruitables or mages?
Sorry, I checked it and they don't get to build castles, but they do get PD. I was sure they get some basic atlantean above and beyond the province if they took a castle though, but I could be wrong on that too.
internet_superbot
Apprentice

Post by internet_superbot »

they can't build castles undersea (or at least I couldn't), so no new units, but they are pretty cool. they can build underwater sacreds at cap, and have heavy water magic to complement the inevitible jaguars :)
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Jomon gets some pretty sick underwater dudes.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I will let you people save the world from the threat of Atlantean naval superiority as I'm none of those nations :P.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Need to do a test game with a conquered under water castle...

Winning conditions.
Do we want victory points or last man standing?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
K
King

Post by K »

Korwin wrote:Need to do a test game with a conquered under water castle...

Winning conditions.
Do we want victory points or last man standing?
VPs are very civilized. It creates lots of fighting, but cuts out the rancor you get from the endgame clusterfuck that always happens.

And ran a test game. Apparently I was hallucinating. No extra units with captured castles....

In my defense, it might have been something that got patched years ago and I never caught on.
Last edited by K on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm tempted to say VP, to help Man's chances.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

cthulhu wrote:Jomon gets some pretty sick underwater dudes.
Atlantis gets at least one underwater only mage. They also get recruitables.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

K wrote: VPs are very civilized. It creates lots of fighting, but cuts out the rancor you get from the endgame clusterfuck that always happens.
I vote for VPs, be interested to see how they shape the game.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

jimbojones1971 wrote:
K wrote: VPs are very civilized. It creates lots of fighting, but cuts out the rancor you get from the endgame clusterfuck that always happens.
I vote for VPs, be interested to see how they shape the game.
Me three.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I'd like to try my hand. No real experience with late age, but Ulm, Ryleh, and Pangea look good. I'll have to try a practice game or two to get a strategy down.

Between 50 and 60 for sites doesn't sound too crazy, usually play with 45, myself. Basic research and Indy strength sound best to me. No opinion on victory points, never used 'em before, personally.
Last edited by Calibron on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

All three nations are free, so you can choose at will.
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Created the Game on Llamaserver:
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi ... geOfTheDen
Pretenders can be submitted.
Map is a placeholder, will get changed before the start.
Mods: None
Late Age
Score graphs on
Hall of fame size 15
Magic site frequency 55
Renaming on
VPs required for victory: 7
VPs in capitals
All other settings on default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game not set to start automatically.
Llamaserver FAQ
llamabeast wrote:Firstly, you should only join a game if you've found there's a thread for it on this board, you've read it, and they're still looking for players. Then you should post on the thread saying what nation you'll be. To actually join the game:

- Make sure you have the same mods enabled as the game you're playing in (Preferences->Mod Preferences) although only mods affecting pretender design, such as Conceptual Balance, actually matter
- Go to Game Tools -> Create a pretender god in Dominions. Don't set a password, since for PBEM games they're not helpful and occasionally annoying (e.g. if you need a sub)
- Go to the savedgames/newlords folder in the dominions directory, and find your pretender file (e.g. mid_pythium_0.2h)
- E-mail the file to: pretenders[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net
- Crucially, you must have the game name in the subject line of your e-mail

A few minutes later you should get a confirmation e-mail, and if you check the website you should find your nation added to the list of nations which have joined the game.

If later you think of an improvement to your pretender, you can send it in again. Provided the game hasn't actually started the server will accept your revised pretender, and send you an e-mail to say so.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Korwin wrote: Edit: If someone wants to downgrade from his nation to an second, third or fifth choice I would have no problem with it...
Thinking about downgrading to my forth choice myself.
Waiting for Calibron's choice.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I was just given an alternate CD key by a generous forum goer. So I can play in this game if a slot can be added to the server. I'll take Bogarus.