It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

ubernoob wrote:For the first time in my life, I found a girl that could honestly say intelligence is a turn on. I am shocked and amazed that such a thing exists. A shame she's too old for me.
I met a girl like that once as well, and it was definitely surprising. My problem was that she didn't contribute much to the conversation, and was more interested in what could be described as 'basking', which is creepy.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

virgil wrote:
ubernoob wrote:For the first time in my life, I found a girl that could honestly say intelligence is a turn on. I am shocked and amazed that such a thing exists. A shame she's too old for me.
I met a girl like that once as well, and it was definitely surprising. My problem was that she didn't contribute much to the conversation, and was more interested in what could be described as 'basking', which is creepy.
Reminds me of the episode of Crank Yankers where some woman prank called a tech support line while acting like she was masturbating to the troubleshooting information (which was acted out with puppets).

I've been told that intellect in men is a lot like penis. You don't want to be below average, but there is such thing as too much.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Count: can you clep out of the lit courses?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Really? I've never found being smart a determent to getting laid. Hell, the last first date I went on, we ended up at a trivia contest and she was amazed by all the random crap I knew. She was later amazed by other things.

Count, if you need help with college stuff, I can probably help you. I've got a ton of experience dealing with them.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Cynic wrote:Count: can you clep out of the lit courses?
Sadly, no. I tried.

English is literally my weakest subject. It nearly kept me out of college entirely because I kept failing remedial English. It took me three times to get it right, and I still tend toward C's and D's.

I don't know how the borderline illiterate and vaguely retarded kids I have as classmates make it as far as they do. Then again, no one told me that life was going to be fair either.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The one other thing that I could suggest trying is to go to the professor or the head of the department and explain the situation. Sometimes they will work with you to let you take a pass-out test or to work out a similar situation. I was allowed to do it once for a math course. Granted when I did try it for another subject, I was almost laughed out of the office. So asker beware. I wonder what that is in latin.
Last edited by Cynic on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Cynic wrote:Count: can you clep out of the lit courses?
Sadly, no. I tried.

English is literally my weakest subject. It nearly kept me out of college entirely because I kept failing remedial English. It took me three times to get it right, and I still tend toward C's and D's.

I don't know how the borderline illiterate and vaguely retarded kids I have as classmates make it as far as they do. Then again, no one told me that life was going to be fair either.
Are you just not turning work in? I mean, you're on this forum and effectively communicating with people here, so you have the capacity to express yourself. What's giving you difficulty? I know you get down on yourself and I don't intend this comment to contribute to that, but there are much bigger morons than you've demonstrated yourself to be passing remedial English classes. :tongue:

This is something you can do.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

My theory is that it had something to do with the 2 jobs I was trying to hold down while taking them. Although I don't want to sound like I am making excuses (I believe that if you can't do something because of (insert reason here), then you can't do it), I think it might be more feasible if I wasn't working 60 hours a week too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

You know, if you need help, I've been a tutor for the last 13 years in a ton of different subjects. I even got my sister to make it through college algebra with an A (by far her worst subject - she was getting a D in the class). My contact info is at the bottom of any of my posts or in my profile.

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Daiba
Journeyman

Post by Daiba »

60 hours a week is pretty brutal. It's amazing you got any classwork done at all.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Daiba wrote:60 hours a week is pretty brutal. It's amazing you got any classwork done at all.
Indeed. So you can understand why I react negatively when people try to claim I have problems with people with money. The problems would go away if I wasn't so hungry.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Count, let me start this off by saying that I am bringing up my questions out of genuine curiosity and am in no way seeking to admonish you, but there's something that just doesn't make sense to me here.

You mentioned earlier that this past year you made about $9000, and just recently appended that was a result of 2 jobs and 60 hours a week. That leaves you making only about $2.90 an hour, assuming a 52 week work year (I can't imagine you getting paid vacations in this scenario). Unless one (or both) of these jobs has unimaginably spectacular fringe benefits, there must be a more profitable use of your time. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing that causes you to log so many hours and get paid so little?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

29,000 users on FetLife say "intelligence" is their fetish. They seem be to roughly equal by gender.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

On intelligence: In my experience, finding people who value intelligence over other qualities is a matter of changing the crowd you're circulating in.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Maj wrote:On intelligence: In my experience, finding people who value intelligence over other qualities is a matter of changing the crowd you're circulating in.
It also has a lot to do with setting. I'm sure I've meet lots of women who value intelligence, but in the context of talked to them they usually default to what's 'normal', liking (a high) intelligence isn't.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Also depends where you are meeting said women. But women are conditioned to pretend to not be too smart, and that smart men are geeky and socially unacceptable.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Also, a lot of people equate using fancy words or knowing lots of useless trivia bits with intelligence.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Today I learned I can't solve chess puzzles anymore.

Can someone tell me how to win this one:

http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/01/8- ... o-college/
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Don't worry Doom, I can't see it either. If some finds the answer please share, I'm curious what I'm missing.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Move the white rook to the top. None of the black pieces can attack it there, the king is in check, and both positions next to the king are threatened (the one to the right by the rook, the one below by the white knight).
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Is this C2 to C7? Because thats the only way to get into Check I can see, but then theres nothing stopping the black knight from moving from E8 to C7 and stopping the Check.
QuantumBoost wrote:Move the white rook to the top. None of the black pieces can attack it there, the king is in check, and both positions next to the king are threatened (the one to the right by the rook, the one below by the white knight).
But moving the rook to the top (C2 to C8) doesn't work because black can attack C5 through to C8.

I'm assuming of course he means white to win on one, but he could mean white to win in 5 or 6 or whatever.
Last edited by Parthenon on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Is a "typical" Chess puzzle supposed to be solved as checkmate in one?
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Parthenon wrote:Is this C2 to C7? Because thats the only way to get into Check I can see, but then theres nothing stopping the black knight from moving from E8 to C7 and stopping the Check.
QuantumBoost wrote:Move the white rook to the top. None of the black pieces can attack it there, the king is in check, and both positions next to the king are threatened (the one to the right by the rook, the one below by the white knight).
But moving the rook to the top (C2 to C8) doesn't work because black can attack C5 through to C8.

I'm assuming of course he means white to win on one, but he could mean white to win in 5 or 6 or whatever.
Oh dammit I mistook the black rook for the black king.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

No, it's supposed to be a series of moves, Rob.

But, after you've made your move, the opposing player is to have no other options but one move (so that the board layout is deterministic from turn to turn). This happens move after move until checkmate. Three moves by white or less is typical.

At least, that's the usual for puzzles...but even extending to "opposing player has multiple moves, none of which matter", I still can't see a solution that isn't dependent upon Black making a move he might not make.
Last edited by Doom on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

That makes more sense. One seemed too easy. That's the sort of thing I should practice. I think I have the potential to be a decent chess player, but I'm not really that good.