Fuck it, D&D is doomed. Recommend some alternatives!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Zinegata
Prince

Fuck it, D&D is doomed. Recommend some alternatives!

Post by Zinegata »

Has anyone tried out a new, still-supported fantasy RPG system outside of the D&D clusterfuck which seems to work pretty well?

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with other new systems (preferrably stuff that came out within the past 5 years or so). Has anyone tried Warhammer 3rd Ed for instance? Any other good fantasy RPGs we should know about that's still supported/in print?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, saying stupid things on message boards seems to be quite a popular game lately......:p

And I've heard great things about HERO 6th, even if my group of grognards is sticking with FrED.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Well, saying stupid things on message boards seems to be quite a popular game lately......:p

And I've heard great things about HERO 6th, even if my group of grognards is sticking with FrED.
What's FrED? First Edition?
Doctor Kenny Loggins
Journeyman

Post by Doctor Kenny Loggins »

You should play Monsters and Other Childish Things. Everyone should.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Is that the new edition change after Essentials?
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Groups in my area have run GURPS, HERO, Warhammer 3e, and one or two more that I didn't get the names for, all to pretty good reception. No complaints about any of them, but some of the groups I've been getting reports from are so uncaring about the math that they play DND3.0.
Last edited by Vebyast on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrED stands for Fifth Rules Edition - it's a clumsy backronym of an in-joke: There was some argument over which changes to the prior rules counted and what the new-at-the-time edition should be called. The developer who had recently re-acquired the rights weighed in on a message board to say "I don't care if what you call it, It could be named Fred for all I care as long as we get it right and people buy it" (or something close).
And all in all, the changes from 1st ed oldskool Champions to HERO ReFred (5th, revised) are really only about equivalent to the changes between D&D 3.0 and D&D 3.5.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

World of Darkness seems to be gaining popularity over in these parts, with the decline of D&D/rise of Twilight. So goths (and the people who game to have sex with goths) should probably be thanking Mearls, whatever-the-Pathfailure-guy's-name-is, Collins, and of course, the Retard Squad from SA.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Earthdawn is a really interesting Fantasy World. But, it's seriously tied to the background. The game mechanics are like a medium well burger. It's tasty, but it feels a bit overcooked. Exploding Step dice.. On the plus side, who doesn't love rolling 1d20+2d6 for damage :)
hogarth
Prince

Re: Fuck it, D&D is doomed. Recommend some alternatives!

Post by hogarth »

Zinegata wrote:Has anyone tried out a new, still-supported fantasy RPG system outside of the D&D clusterfuck which seems to work pretty well?
Just to clarify -- is 3.5 D&D out of the question because it's a clusterfuck, or because it's not supported?
RobbyPants
King

Re: Fuck it, D&D is doomed. Recommend some alternatives!

Post by RobbyPants »

Zinegata wrote:Has anyone tried out a new, still-supported fantasy RPG system outside of the D&D clusterfuck which seems to work pretty well?
I'm curious why the game has to be supported? The only viable reason I can see for this is having it possibly be easier to find a group.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Now that computer character generation programs exist, Rolemaster has a lot going for it. :)
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm looking for alternatives beyond D&D that don't have a finite supply of gaming books.

Stuff that's still being published (even just reprints) is okay. But stuff like 2, 3, and even 4E D&D is out because they're out of print. Sooner or later, the supply of these books will run out.

This is for long-term gaming possibilities.
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Zinegata wrote:I'm looking for alternatives beyond D&D that don't have a finite supply of gaming books.

Stuff that's still being published (even just reprints) is okay. But stuff like 2, 3, and even 4E D&D is out because they're out of print. Sooner or later, the supply of these books will run out.

This is for long-term gaming possibilities.
If you liked 3.5E, you might consider Pathfinder. The differences between 3.5 and PF have been exaggerated for comparison and humoristic purposes, IMO.
areola
1st Level

Post by areola »

Love the title thread..

I just go back to pre-WOTC D&D. For supported ones I go for C&C or Dragon Age. I also use Savage Worlds but would be the last resort for running fantasy genre. Heck I'll just grab a free retro clone and point the newbies to it and get a game going..
cthulhudarren
Apprentice

Post by cthulhudarren »

I like the Runequest system (MRQ2) even though it gets hammered here for being a "roll under" system.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

HERO System, E6, aWoD, Earthdawn, maybe a mix of Pathfinder and 3.5.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Mutants and Masterminds over HERO, but both are okay.

Why "still supported"? I would think that a dead system with no more supplements and the internet's vast cataloging of its peculiarities and shortcomings would make for a more long-term solution than a system that will inevitably stop being supported.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

mean_liar wrote: Why "still supported"? I would think that a dead system with no more supplements and the internet's vast cataloging of its peculiarities and shortcomings would make for a more long-term solution than a system that will inevitably stop being supported.
That's why I (A) own these boards, and (B) play a 3.x/Tome hybrid.

Game On,
fbmf
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

mean_liar wrote:Why "still supported"? I would think that a dead system with no more supplements and the internet's vast cataloging of its peculiarities and shortcomings would make for a more long-term solution than a system that will inevitably stop being supported.
Agreed. While I was disappointed at first when 4.0 came out, I realized that I would no longer feel compelled to shell out money for books.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Hmm. Draws of an RPG system still being expanded:

- Books being produced will be talked about. This may mean increased interest in the RPG in your area and an easier time finding a game.
- It will be easier to get new books legally and in a way that benefits the people who wrote it.
- New stuff means that the RPG could change in unexpected ways, which could be a draw.

I've grabbed a few Pathfinder setting books and adventures, and they felt about as good as the 3.x stuff I'd bought before. If the major criteria are "new books being produced" and "fantasy RPG", there are worse choices.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Ars magica is still being printed.
But, it's.. Ars Magica, it's not for everyone. (Even if you skip the Troupe Play)
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Huh, I'd like to try out Ars Magica sometime. I didn't realize it was still being made. Maybe I'll pick up a physical book sometime, if I can still find it in stores.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Ars Magic, like any system with freeform spellcasting, is a mess.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

It's not entirely free form
There are spells with specific effects, and there are guidelines for success effects for doing spontaneous magic.