D&D after 15th level

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Re: D&D after 15th level

Post by JonSetanta »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1179957400[/unixtime]]I said "wholly fictional" because I don't know of any child of Loki named Aesa Lokisdottir, and the simple fact there's a patronimic made me suspect even more.

About the "climbing the divine ranks" campaign, just make everyone epic wizards - I hope you wouldn't expect a mythological campaign to make sense all the time. It sure would be arbitrary and awesome enough if people make appropriately crazy spells.

Ah yeah, name not ringing a bell.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

In fact, aren't the Norse pantheon collectively called "aesir"

so "aesa lokisdottr" = Loki's daughter, the goddess

I still maintain that CR 24 gods are silly, since level 20 characters are more powerful than most mythological gods.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1179864687[/unixtime]]Sure, there are lots of cultures and mythologies in which stabbing a god in the face is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The D&D rules for gods don't support that, but it's easy enough to do.

Oddly, this is the cosmology/ set-up for the psuedo-greek mythology campaign I'm working on.

Mortals are only 1st-10th level. To advance beyond 10th level, requires golden Apples of the Hesperides / Ambrosia. To maintain levels above 10th, daily consumption of such is required, and this resource is limited enough that most deities are 15th level or lower.

Olympus is a plane that as planar traits allows anyone there to do something very much like Astral Projection (with slight tweaks to allow for appearing in different forms) to the prime.

And presto, you have a campaign where mortals can ascend with appropriate difficulty; heroes can be stab gods in the face to thwart their plans on earth; deites can be slain permanently if you can get to their jealously guarded home plane; fallen titans are still wandering around with power enough to challenge (but not beat) the gods; and your epic/divine rules only get a little bit crazy instead of totally incomprehensible.

That's not appropriate for all campaigns and cosmologiies, but the current set-up where deities have stats, but the stats prohibit them from interacting with other characters in any meaningful way as everyone at those levels is chain calling and committing infinite simulacrum abuse within their own persistant Time Stops all the time is not appropriate for *any* campaign, and in all ways worse than the options of either leaving deities unstated or of statting deities to be comparable to PCs of X level.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Note: eliminate Wish economy, or make wishing for apples impossible/rare.

Alternately - golden apples/ambrosia as a drug
Alternately - Popeye scenario, you are level 10 until you eat an apple, then you are level appropriate.

By the way, I love the idea.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Hmm... idea.

You can wish for apples, but to do so, you have to convince a Noble Djinn and an Efreet (of opposite alignments) to pool their wishes together. It's one thing to always buy wishes from Djinni or beat them out of Efreeti; it's another thing to get them to work together for you.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Josh, I'd just like to say that those are probably the best deity rules I've ever seen. I like it.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

^^^ That was me by the way, didn't realized I was logged out.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I think that for a Greek inspired campaign you should bury the idea of magic items. Sure, people need magic gear to get level appropriate numbers, but those can be inherent bonuses that everyone gets. You can simply say that you can't Wish for magic items.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Well, Perseus got those sandals, and that shield, and that helmet, but then the gods took them back once he'd killed Medusa. So yeah, no magic items that you get to keep.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

On that basis, casters should be removed entirely.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Nah, Greek legend had sorcerers and such. Like that chick who Odysseus met on the island, the one who turned his men into animals.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I think those 'sorcerer's were more plot-devices than anything else.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1180129829[/unixtime]]I think those 'sorcerer's were more plot-devices than anything else.

Magic as a whole in stories tends to be a plot device.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Which is why most stories don't really make a good basis for D&D.
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

I just thought I'd mention that KOTOR 1 was OK, but KOTOR 2 was very breakable. It was possible to build a character that could kill the endboss without getting hit.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I did that.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Does exploiting the AI count as breaking it?
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Define 'exploiting'.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Running away and only having a single minion follow you while the rest stands around like idiots.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Oh hell, see, I just Force Confused one minion and had it fight the rest while I ran away like a scared little girl.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1180123708[/unixtime]]Nah, Greek legend had sorcerers and such. Like that chick who Odysseus met on the island, the one who turned his men into animals.

Circe.

See also

Medea
Icarus
Orpheus
Archimedes
Pythagoreanism

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Josh_Kablack at [unixtime wrote:1180240387[/unixtime]]
Pythagoreanism

I'm not sure I want to look too hard into a set of beliefs that cause suicide at the realization that root 2 is an irrational number.