aWoD: Continued

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Orion wrote:So a good driving passion would be something like "protecting children" or "amassing wealth" or "killing demons"?
I'm tempted to say that you should dig deeper, for example why you want to amass wealth. But sure, that would work.

Here are a few more animals and (I think) a more clear Beast Form:

Beast Form: The character can transform into an animal by taking a Complex Action. The type of animal transformed into is chosen when the ability is learned. When Beast Form is gained as a fixed ability from a character’s supernatural type, the form of the beast is often predefined (for example, a Nezumi becomes a rat). This ability can be learned multiple times, and each time the character can choose one more new form than the time before (e.g. two new forms with the second learning, for a total of 3). No beast form can be much larger than a human, or smaller than a mouse.
Some animals are stronger or more agile than a human, but the total bonus to these attributes never exceeds +2. If the animal's Agility and Strength are equal, add one to both of the Potentate's physical attributes. Otherwise increase the greater by 2. Many animals are much weaker than a human. If a normal member of the species has a Strength of 0, reduce the potentate's Strength to 0.
A potentate's equipment will not transform with them, so appropriate precautions should be taken to avoid running about naked. This ability is a Protean power. For purposes of being countered, Beast Form has 3 hits.

Bat

Code: Select all

Bats are cute little nocturnal insectavores. Or sometimes hematophages. Small animals like this suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 3 more wound levels. They are very small though, so the threshold to hit them from any range past Near is increased by 1.
    A 3, S 0, I 3, L 1, C 1, W 2.
    Skills: Athletics 4, Combat 1, Perception 4, Stealth 2, Survival 2.
    Speed: 100 m.
Cobra

"COOOOOBRAA!!!" Nakes, snakes, cobras, and cobruras are small, and suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 2 more wound levels than its base value. Attacks against them from farther than Short range have their thresholds increased by 1.
    A 3, S 1, I 2, L 1, C 1, W 2.
    Skills: Athletics 2, Combat 3, Perception 2, Stealth 4, Survival 2.
    Speed: 40 m.
    Merits: Double Jointed.
    Powers: Tongue of the Serpent (optional paralytic).
Python

Pythons are great big constrictor snakes that can easily crush an adult human to death.
    A 2, S 4, I 2, L 1, C 1, W 2.
    Skills: Athletics 2, Combat 4, Perception 2, Stealth 4, Survival 2.
    Speed: 40 m.
    Merits: Double Jointed.
    Powers: Clinging.
Raven

Ravens are creatures of ill omen, mainly becase they eat carrion, but also because a raven is always thinking about how to peck your eyes out. Ravens are small, and suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 2 more wound levels than its base value. Attacks against them from farther than Short range have their thresholds increased by 1.
    A 3, S 0, I 3, L 1, C 1, W 2.
    Skills: Athletics 3, Combat 3, Perception 2, Stealth 1, Survival 2.
    Speed: 20 m; 300 m (flight).
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Catharz--how deep a Driving Passion do you want? Remember you're supposed to get rewards for following it, so if you psychologize to the point where you find out what motivates your character's *every* action--then every action gets rewarded.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Orion wrote:Catharz--how deep a Driving Passion do you want? Remember you're supposed to get rewards for following it, so if you psychologize to the point where you find out what motivates your character's *every* action--then every action gets rewarded.
That would be pretty neat, but I see your point. I'd say that the accomplishment would have to be in direct service of your drive. Eating breakfast won't help with 'never be poor again', but investing in super low risk stocks and bonds or being really cheap will.

Just for the hell of it, I wrote up an Icharid that's a cross between the Child of Aether and Android. The result is more Superman and Maharomatic than Invisible Man and Metropolis, but a simple tweak can change that. With the new Play of Shadows power, I'm pretty sure that the Invisible Man does not use Hide from Notice anyway. And I'm willing to bet that Maschine-Maria bought Howling Winds as an additional power.
Icharid
An Icharid is one who has replaced her frail human flesh with, or been fashioned whole cloth from, the strong unyielding products of technology.
The insides of an Icharid actually matter for purposes of what they do to recharge themselves. An Icharid filled with gears needs to patiently wind themselves up (conservation of energy be damned), while an Icharid made of circuits and wires needs to plug themselves into a wall. Whichever it is, an Icharid recharging breaks the illusion of being fully human, as the act of opening themselves to work on their clearly inorganic insides pushes them into the uncanny valley until they close themselves up again.

Universal Disciplines
 Celerity
  Quickness (B)
 Fortitude
  Patience of the Mountains (B)
 Clout
  Clinging (B)
  Vigor (B)
  Devastation (A)
 Presence
  Awe (B)
 Veil
  Mask of a Thousand Faces (B)
 Devotion
  Flight (Potence & Presence)
For a flightless version, replace it with Alacrity.

Distinctive Drawbacks: Prideful.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Magnetism still fucks with dicepools in an extremely wanky way. When I roll to interrogate a thug, I may very well be adding three supernatural dice modifiers--passive Magnetism, activated Awe, and activated Dismissal. And two of those modifiers are random. That is stupid and painful.

Because the passive bonus doesn't apply to skills, but applications of skills, it's also obnoxious to track.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Orion wrote:Magnetism still fucks with dicepools in an extremely wanky way. When I roll to interrogate a thug, I may very well be adding three supernatural dice modifiers--passive Magnetism, activated Awe, and activated Dismissal. And two of those modifiers are random. That is stupid and painful.

Because the passive bonus doesn't apply to skills, but applications of skills, it's also obnoxious to track.
I admit that Attract currently just does what nWoD Presence 1 always did. Do you have a spcific idea? I can imagine several things to replace it with.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Maybe a covert, targeted effect that compels one target within sight to interact with you?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Orion wrote:Maybe a covert, targeted effect that compels one target within sight to interact with you?
I'm not a fan of single-target effects for Presence/Magnetism. How about something that makes it hard to pay attention to anything but the user?
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It's a good thing there's no Dread Gaze or Summons then....

Attracting attention in general is already a basic Play of Shadows power and part of the Magnetism passive. Being able to make sure that you have the attention of a specific person whose attention you need is more interesting.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Orion wrote:It's a good thing there's no Dread Gaze or Summons then....
They're still there, the names just changed. ;)
Orion wrote:Attracting attention in general is already a basic Play of Shadows power and part of the Magnetism passive. Being able to make sure that you have the attention of a specific person whose attention you need is more interesting.
Still, none of those specifically make it harder to pay attention to others. And while Shadow Play almost does it, most of Play of Shadows seems to be stealing from other disciplines (Cloak of Shadows could be a Veil power, and what it replaced was a Path of Blood power clone).
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack