"Anthro" template

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

"Anthro" template

Post by Prak »

k, so my girlfriend was intrigued by the idea of playing a catfolk from races of rabbit fvcking, but she doesn't like them, or rather, they don't seem like cats to her, so, once it came to mind, I presentd the idea of using the anthro template from savage species, but the question is, objectively, how is it? Is it too weak, too strong, dependent upon what you apply it too, and how do I figure out ecl for templates in a tome game?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Re: "Anthro" template

Post by Endovior »

I would answer, but...

'races of rabbit fvcking'

:lmao:
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That's what we call it here.

And the anthro template is so horrible it makes Baby Jesus cry, even though God hates furries.

I know it's true 'cause I read it on the internet.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Endovior at [unixtime wrote:1185946606[/unixtime]]I would answer, but...

'races of rabbit fvcking'

:lmao:

We have some pretty strange names floating around here. Here's a list I keep with the most common variations:

* "It's Hot Outside" = Sandstorm
* "It's Cold Outside" = Frostburn
* "It's Wet Outside" = Stormwrack
* "D&D Joke Book" = Epic Level Handbook
* "Races of Rabbit Fucking" = Races of the Wild.
* "Races of Short" = Races of Stone
* "Tome of Wet Tissues: Book of Nine Papercuts" = Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords
* "Complete Garbage" = Complete Mage
* "Complete Lack of Innovation" = Complete Scoundrel
* "Calamari Cooking!" = Lords of Madness
* "Skip Hates Sorcerers" = Tome & Blood
* "Sticks & Stones" = Masters of the Wild
* "Lute and Loot" = Song and Silence
* "It's Not Outside" = Dungeonscape
* "It's Crowded Outside" = Cityscape

There's a thread around that has a few more.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Anthro is the crappiest template ever made. The power level of the results is all over the shop. Not only that, the power level is non sensical. I forget the exact example but putting it on large animals sometimes results in them having less strength than a similar but weaker base creature.

The flavour is also shit. You end up with a collection of stat bonuses. You can make that up yourself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, I sat down to write it up from memory and realized that all it really should do is change size and type, other than that, use the normal animal stats...

does that sound good?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

shirak wrote:We have some pretty strange names floating around here. Here's a list I keep with the most common variations:

* "It's Hot Outside" = Sandstorm
* "It's Cold Outside" = Frostburn
* "It's Wet Outside" = Stormwrack
* "D&D Joke Book" = Epic Level Handbook
* "Races of Rabbit fvcking" = Races of the Wild.
* "Races of Short" = Races of Stone
* "Tome of Wet Tissues: Book of Nine Papercuts" = Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords
* "Complete Garbage" = Complete Mage
* "Complete Lack of Innovation" = Complete Scoundrel
* "Calamari Cooking!" = Lords of Madness
* "Skip Hates Sorcerers" = Tome & Blood
* "Sticks & Stones" = Masters of the Wild
* "Lute and Loot" = Song and Silence
* "It's Not Outside" = Dungeonscape
* "It's Crowded Outside" = Cityscape

There's a thread around that has a few more.

It's Not Outside is the best one of those :)
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Apply the template to the base animal. If the player doesn't like the result, but it will be ok with a little bit of tweaking, tweak it a little. If the player doesn't like the result at all, try something else.

Once you have something the player likes, if you are using LA and not some variant (like Frank&K's HD=ECL method) then figure out an LA that seems sensible to you and the players.

Whatever you do, do not use the LAs in the example creatures as a guide, since they range from zero for the Baleen Whale - which is quite good, all the way to far too many, for others, which suck, so I don't remember them.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

How about just asking her what she wants them to be like and write that up as a base race?

I mean, abilities for a catgirl race could be anything from 'Ears, fangs, and tail of cuteness -- fascinate any anime fanboys within 600 feet' to 'Low-light vision, speed 40', and pounce: claw claw bite rake.'
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1185960170[/unixtime]]

I personally liked "It's Inside Outside" better though :P
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1185983352[/unixtime]]
Whatever you do, do not use the LAs in the example creatures as a guide, since they range from zero for the Baleen Whale - which is quite good, all the way to far too many, for others, which suck, so I don't remember them.

Forget the Baleen Whale, that template suggests zero LA (and no racial hit dice) for the Bat, which gets +6 Wisdom, small size, and a fly speed. I'm not sure why first level druids needed to be twice as good as normal, but there it is.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Jacob_Orlove at [unixtime wrote:1185994302[/unixtime]]
Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1185983352[/unixtime]]

Forget the Baleen Whale, that template suggests zero LA (and no racial hit dice) for the Bat, which gets +6 Wisdom, small size, and a fly speed. I'm not sure why first level druids needed to be twice as good as normal, but there it is.
Oh yeah, I forgot that - 'cos until recently I never played a caster.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1185990475[/unixtime]]How about just asking her what she wants them to be like and write that up as a base race?

I mean, abilities for a catgirl race could be anything from 'Ears, fangs, and tail of cuteness -- fascinate any anime fanboys within 600 feet' to 'Low-light vision, speed 40', and pounce: claw claw bite rake.'

she's going more for the Low-light vision, speed 40', pounce.. she'll either play an anthro cat or an anthro tiger, and I think I'll just tell her to adjust the cat/tiger stats to be small/medium and use those.

shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1185960170[/unixtime]]

Hell yeah. It's too bad we don't get to use it very often.

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1185990628[/unixtime]]I personally liked "It's Inside Outside" better though :P

I like the "It's One-Syllable-Word Outside" naming convention myself. I hate It's Crowded Outside but can't come up with a good alternative so I tolerate it. But I fucking love It's Not Outside as a name.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I too prefered inside-outside.

It's not outside just makes my Warcraft Druid cry.

-Crissa
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

but it's inside outside makes no sense, because it's inside inside. The outside is not the dungeon.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

what about "Hey, We're Inside" or "Now We're Inside"

Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

I hunted about for a single-syllable word that meant 'crowded (with people)' but the best I could find was 'mobbed' and Its Mobbed Outside doesn't sound right.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

It's Cramped Outside?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

How about "Smelly and Crowded" for Cityscape? That would also describe Baltimore.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]
Back to topic, folks.
[/TGFBS]
Immortius
1st Level

Post by Immortius »

Tell her to play the Cheshire cat from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... ][br]Might as well push the idea all the way and play as a straight cat.

Edit: "It's unhygienic outside"?