Why alignment in D&D sucks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

mrzero
NPC

Why alignment in D&D sucks

Post by mrzero »

Why alignment in D&D sucks :

0. The descriptor neutral both in the L-C and G-E is confusing and shows the laziness of the creators how difficult is it to invent another word that is not "neutral" in the L-C ? How about balanced ? Is this really so difficult ?

1. Law and Chaos makes no sense whatsoever they are meaningless words that are ultimately nonsensical. What is a lawful character supposed to be ? Blindly obey the laws ? Only obey his personal laws ? Sometimes it’s one sometimes it’s the other , D&D treats these things like they are interchangeable however they are not.

2. G-E is idiotic while not so bad like L-C it’s undefined. Palladium is far superior with its actual 10 point list of what a given alignment can do. D&D alignment is nothing more then insanity on a stick. Can I torture this character ? Is my ethics consequentialist or deontological ? Can I lie ? Can I steal ? Can I be a prick ?
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Mrzero, you made one of the classic blunders! The first is obviously never start a land war in asia. However, only slightly less well known is that you never argue something in PALLADIUM is far superior!

D&D alignrment is not a particularly good system. However the palladium 10 points is even dumber and just puts more hard coding into what is actually a soft character description.

Honeslty, the alignment selected by the player is fairly meaningless (except for clerics and paladins who have to at least somewhat represent their faith). Player alignment will be demonstrated almost exclusively by action.

The real problem with alignment is that it is so broad and has so much overlap that it doesn't do what it is supposed to do which is to act as a shorthand stage direction/phsyc profile and clue you into how the NPC/PC will act in a partidcular situation.

D&D does not need humanity or a hard system for determining who is good and evil. What it needs is a system that looks at dominate traits and movtivation.

Yes, we will be assigning these to whole races of being and some people might find a certain squick factor to that, but it really is much more useful to have something like

Goblins:
Motivation: Greed
Traits: Cowrdly, (Agressive when they outnumber the opposition)

Than "Lawful Evil"
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Alignment is a result of the character's actions and intentions, not the other way around.
mrzero
NPC

Post by mrzero »

souran wrote:Mrzero, you made one of the classic blunders! The first is obviously never start a land war in asia. However, only slightly less well known is that you never argue something in PALLADIUM is far superior!

Well I don’t play Palladium however after I looked their morality system its far less ambiguous. I don’t really think there are massive debates amongst Palladium players if their alignment is right or they changed alignment.

I have no problem giving whole races a alignment :D.

However the problem is consistency and repeatabilityif the rules tell you that X spell creates 5 damage to character HP there is no discussion what this means. Everyone understands that player ALFA gets -5 to HP. However if the HP system worked like aliment then 1 player would proclaim that getting X spell will give him a instant level up another will interpret it to be a armor downgrade and another will interpret this to be a summon monster spell while another will interpret X spell to give -5 HP to target player.

The problem is that Lawful Evil is meaningless its self contradictory and if independent people would be asked to make a test who is Lawful Evil based on behavior completely different answers would result. Unlike the damage system where everyone understands what X spell is doing and will answer -5 to targeted players HP.

And if someone would ask “how to make it better “or “why don’t you invent something better” I have given Palladium’s alignment system for a quick response or a example I’m not endorsing it only giving a quick response with a example. Besides its good evidence of why D&D alignment is broken because if there are other RPG examples of alignments that are made to be good and workable then this shows D&D is not actually paying attention to what is going on and is terribly behind the times.

:thumb:
Last edited by mrzero on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Dude makes one post; it is about D&D Alignment.
Smells trolly to me.

Anyhow, alignments are just generalized labels and no longer have any gameplay ramifications. It's pretty unimportant.
PSY DUCK?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Protip, read the Tome of Necromancy and Fiends sections on alignment before talking about alignment here.

You might find out that your entire first post was a waste of everyone's time.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
mrzero
NPC

Post by mrzero »

Wrathzog wrote: Anyhow, alignments are just generalized labels and no longer have any gameplay ramifications. It's pretty unimportant.

Really that’s new to me?

So every alignment can be a:

Druid
Barbarian
Paladin

Can I play a Chaotic Evil Paladin? If not how is it going to impact the game play if the GM has radically different interpretations of what Chaotic and Evil is ? Especially that chaotic is a meaningless phrase so the ambiguity of the alignment is going to hurt game play or I suffer alignment shift penalties.

And even if its house ruled away shouldn’t we criticize bad ideas and understand why they are wrong ?
Kaelik wrote:Protip, read the Tome of Necromancy and Fiends sections on alignment before talking about alignment here.

I don’t own Tome of Necromancy however I looked it up online and I don’t have a problem with rules like “necromancy is always evil”. That’s OK however the real problem is not if necromancy is evil but the absolute insanity of law VS chaos because law and chaos aren’t really actual consistent definitions.

The real question is what is a chaotic behavior ?
What is a lawful behavior ?
However i can argue that every decision is lawful or chaotic because all the examples of chaotic and lawful behaviors are self contradictory.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Yeah, this argument has been done before, and more eloquently.

To sum it up, Good and Evil can usually be agreed upon by the group with little arguments, but law and chaos is basically "whatever the DM says it is", because any viewpoint could be argued because the terms aren't well defined.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
mrzero
NPC

Post by mrzero »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: To sum it up, Good and Evil can usually be agreed upon by the group with little arguments, but law and chaos is basically "whatever the DM says it is", because any viewpoint could be argued because the terms aren't well defined.
I agree totally the real problem are not the good Vs evil axis however the law VS chaos axis. A actual list of what consists in lawful or chaotic behavior would be something good however I don’t think wizards will ever do this because they know its ultimately a indefinable nonsense. Removing law and chaos would be some great help in gaming.
Last edited by mrzero on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Are you trying to start an argument? Because stating things that were said years ago on this board and were unopposed aren't going to really start arguments.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

I don't see any reason you couldn't use the paladin class as written from any of the 3e varieties for whatever alignment you want. Nor do I particular see any reason that a druid should have to be neutral, and the bard and barbarian alignment restrictions were always insane.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
mrzero
NPC

Post by mrzero »

A Man In Black wrote:Nor do I particular see any reason that a druid should have to be neutral, and the bard and barbarian alignment restrictions were always insane.
Yes I agree on this however sometimes you can find alignment fanatics who don’t want to house rule this insanity.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Ooh, ooh, let me play!

I agree with you! Not only that, by your tone I can tell that I agree more than you do.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

alignment in D&D works.....
<EOL>
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Tome_of_Fi ... and_Fiends

Go there. Read it. Come back and talk about what you disagree with.
Right now, it's like you've come here and made a persuasive post about how the ocean is both large and wet. It's totally true, but it's making folks nervous about where you're going with this.

Edit: parentheses in URL.
Last edited by fectin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

I made it work. I am far more surperior to you.
tzor
Prince

Re: Why alignment in D&D sucks

Post by tzor »

mrzero wrote:0. The descriptor neutral both in the L-C and G-E is confusing and shows the laziness of the creators how difficult is it to invent another word that is not "neutral" in the L-C ? How about balanced ? Is this really so difficult ?
Did someone just call the great Gygax lazy? Where is my sword of sharpness?

The only "class" that worried about "blance" was the AD&D (1E) Druid. In every other case the word neutral is appropriate. It's not that the Neutral Good person spends the day trying to balace acts of law and chaos; instead they don't care one way or the other. They pick and choose which ideas of law and which ideas of chaos they follow.

The fact that there was an active TN (druid) and a passive TN (animals) was a problem with the system; but I never saw a solution that didn't give me more problems than it solved.

(I bet you would have really "loved" alignment languages.)
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

You can cut alignment out of D&D pretty easily, so it's not even that important to the game. It's just kept around for old times sake.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

TOZ wrote:You can cut alignment out of D&D pretty easily,.
As someone who generally plays with groups where "alignment is ignored as much as possible ", we can easily ignore alignment restrictions on class, allow Smite abilities to work on anyone and not expect alignment detections to provide info more meaningful that an OK Cupid quiz, but each MC still has to deal with
  • How does Protection vs Evil work here? What about Magic Circles and to a lesser extent calling spells? Fortunately Chaos Hammer and Blasphemy and the like are high enough level that they can usually be ignored.
  • What overcomes DR/alignment?
  • Do strong auras stun people using detections - and if so why?
  • and a number of other little items integrated into the rules. bane weapons, planar cosmologies, etc, etc
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Treat every character without an alignment subtype or aura as Neutral for all mechanical interactions. Done.

Edit: You can change every instance of 'Good/Evil/Lawful/Chaotic' to 'Light/Dark/Order/Giant Frog' and not have it make a difference. Auras stun people because the guy getting stunned is that much weaker than the dude with an aura. Think Bleach and spiritual pressure or whatever you want to call it. DR? Choose a special material, silver or cold iron.
Last edited by TOZ on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

mrzero wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Protip, read the Tome of Necromancy and Fiends sections on alignment before talking about alignment here.

I don’t own Tome of Necromancy however I looked it up online and I don’t have a problem with rules like “necromancy is always evil”. That’s OK however the real problem is not if necromancy is evil but the absolute insanity of law VS chaos because law and chaos aren’t really actual consistent definitions.

The real question is what is a chaotic behavior ?
What is a lawful behavior ?
However i can argue that every decision is lawful or chaotic because all the examples of chaotic and lawful behaviors are self contradictory.
You are an idiot. Go to the top of this forum you are posting in, and find the three stickied threads. Click on the one that is called "List of Frank and K Tome threads." From there click on the one called "Tome of Fiends" You will notice that it is a thread on this forum, and that it is stickied. Everyone but you has read it. It is from sometime in 2004-5 I think. Notice the section titled "Law and Chaos: Your Rules or Mine." Read the entire fucking second post, the first post not counting the Table of Contents.

Once you have read that, you can continue posting. Technically, you can just not read that and still keep posting.

However, most of the people on this forum will continue treating you like an idiot if you do not do so. I personally will just put you on ignore if your next post in this thread doesn't:

1) Specify certain parts of that analysis that you disagree with.
2) Make a specific admission that your post was pretty pointless, since it was on this forum, where we already went over this way more in depth.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Kaelik wrote:From there click on the one called "Tome of Fiends" You will notice that it is a thread on this forum, and that it is stickied. Everyone but you has read it.
No they havent.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

shadzar wrote:
Kaelik wrote:From there click on the one called "Tome of Fiends" You will notice that it is a thread on this forum, and that it is stickied. Everyone but you has read it.
No they havent.
CORRECTION: "Everyone who contributes mildly constructively to this forum has read it."
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Almaz
Knight

Re: Why alignment in D&D sucks

Post by Almaz »

mrzero wrote:Why alignment in D&D sucks :
People keep making new threads about it when it is a tired, old, and retreaded discussion several times over.

I can understand a discussion derailing into an alignment flamewar, but really? Making a new thread for it? This is not some new insight here.