Cyberpunk Fantasy Heartbreaker

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

^ That's a good point. When you're doing runs against some megacorp that involves itself heavily in biotech, it's probable that you'll face guard-things that have been specifically bred and genetailored to the task. Depending on the layout of the facility, that might happen to include things not unlike velociraptors... not as the main guard force, but as an auxiliary force not unlike modern guard dogs.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

hell, shadowrun has carnivorous 2 m long running birds allready . . if you give them scales, a tail, real arms instead of wings and teeth in the beak, you HAVE velociraptors . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Stahlseele wrote:hell, shadowrun has carnivorous 2 m long running birds allready . . if you give them scales, a tail, real arms instead of wings and teeth in the beak, you HAVE velociraptors . .
Given that an actual velociraptors are currently believed to have looked like this, I'm pretty sure you just need the tail and teeth.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, if i wanted scientifically correct ones . . .
but no, WE WANT THE JURASSIC PARK ONES!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

When I based a homebrew tome world (very loosely) off cretaceous-era Earth, the players were shocked to know that raptors were the size of chickens. (They were also intelligent and one of the PC races).

It's possible that when I get arsed to, I'll dump all the data on the board. I'm done with it, but maybe someone else can use it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The intrusion, chases, and combat minigames all want monstrous hazards to exist. Genetic abominations, killer plants, magical dogs, and so on. They can add variety of description to action scenes and even add variety of tactical decision making. But one of the main things that I think should stay constant is that a badass with a rifle should be personally more hard core than monsters on a man for beast basis. These are monsters that are seriously threatened by armored knights on horseback, so anyone carrying a squad support weapon of any kind should be as ridiculously lethal to them as they are to everything else in the world.

Yes, police would want to ride unicorns. But having unicorns would not invalidate armored vehicles.

Anyway, some thoughts on augmentation:

Augmentation
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster. Even an hour after, our work is never over.

Evolution is amazing both in its cleverness and its shortsightedness. It creates solutions to problems that are myriad in number, but in equal measure it fails to produce answers and whole species are left to die for lack of simple proteins. But artifice is not evolution and demihuman augmentation is not constrained by the vagaries of chance. Instead, it is designed and proceeds along predictable paths of refinement that are goal driven. While an evolved trait exists because it happened essentially at random and was at no time selected against by Mother Nature's cruel guillotine, an augmentation is available because a research team took time out of their lives to specifically produce it.

Once an augmentation is available, people will use it for whatever it happens to be good for – a process that is as determinedly random and trial-and-error driven as genuine biological evolution. But before an augmentation exists at all it had to be designed and produced by a team of well financed researchers who believed (or convinced a funding committee) that the completed product would find a market. The recognized markets for augmentations are (in order of total market size) medical, vocational, military, sports, luxury, and yes: crime.

Medical Augmentation
Why settle for just as good?

In a very real way, every augmentation is a medical problem. Integrating foreign bodies into the demihuman body is a difficult technical problem. The body's immune system attempts to “defend” itself from grafts, the body's healing factor attempts to expel implants, and the body's proprioception steadfastly refuses to acknowledge prostheses of any kind. Augmentation is stressful both physical and mentally, and overcoming those difficulties is a major hurdle that medical science is wrestling with. One method of dealing with that issue is to make the augmentations as inert as possible so as to minimize rejection and reaction, another is to attempt to maximize the benefits provided by an augmentation for the amount of Stress it inflicts upon the body.

Truth be told, the latter strategy has paid off well enough that people who don't have any medical ailments at all sometimes consider getting “medical” augmentations installed. Cybernetic eyes can let you see better than normal, so people whose eyesight is “merely normal” nonetheless get cybernetics installed sometimes. Not all facets of the human body are so succinctly measurable however, and some augmentations focus instead on the breadth of functionality. When replacing the terminal portion of a finger, why not use the space for something? These sorts of jack-knife gimmicks are often invented as consolation prizes for people who have to get parts of their body replaced, but in the 2070s some are considered useful enough that people get them installed electively.

Vocational Augmentations
What you have done leaves an indelible mark on what you have left of what you were before.

Competition within career paths is horrendous, and for jobs with any kind of security at all, corporations can and do demand tremendous investment and specialization from applicants before they are to even be considered. In the past this was confined to demanding that potential workers spend years of their lives training in schools – often at their own expense or the expense of their families. But in the 2070s even that is insufficient to enter the upper middle class. Prospective employees are expected to not only come with years of skill acquisition, a clean bill of health, and an empty criminal record, they are expected to have had their bodies or even brains modified to better perform their expected duties. The acquisition of the augmentations that are required to be taken seriously as a contender for a career don't always give an insurmountable advantage in the actual field, and indeed it is entirely possible that someone lacking them might be able to succeed if they simply had more talent and drive – but the fact is that with the limited pool of available corporate citizenship positions available and the truly immense pool of unemployed people vying for them, the corps need a way to exclude the vast majority of applicants from serious consideration. The overlap between people who have certain mods and people who work in certain fields is so total that certain vocational implants have earned themselves the epithet of “caste marks”.

Many contract positions are also limited in practice to people with particular augmentations. While truckers and pilots only work for a single quarter at a time, if a prospective worker doesn't have the right mods, they do not work at all. Getting the mods doesn't work out for everyone, and sometimes a person will invest heavily into vocational augmentations and still not be able to land a contract in their field (or not enough contracts during the year to eat). Such people end up having to pursue other work that is less lucrative or less legal if they want to survive.

Military Augmentations
People will pay for smarter bombs before they will pay for smarter children.

The militaries of the world are a major source of human augmentation research. While experiments with super speed and increased ferocity have been undertaken on every continent (yes, even Antarctica), the actual effectiveness of those procedures has been called into question. Soldiers are most effective when doing their job rather than just doing something. Perhaps surprisingly, many of the most effective military augmentations have been based on limiting the human body rather than on enhancing it. Of course, people don't usually think of the “steady hand system” as a “involuntary twitch motion limiting system”, but that is what it is.

With some countries impressing as much as 90% of their young adult population into military service for at least a period of their lives, decommissioned soldiers with various augmentations are a fairly common fact of life in 2075. Militaries generally don't care a fig for keeping their augmentations secret, and tend to spring for obvious augmentations whenever and wherever they can. This cuts costs and even enhances unit cohesion – the specific enhancements that a military organization gives their soldiers is a lot like a uniform.

Sports Medicine
There is something innately wrong with condemning people for wanting to win a competitive event.

Sports is really big money, with star players able to command salaries measured in the tens of millions of SpDRs because the value they bring in to the teams in the form of ticket and merchandise sales far surpasses even that. And sporting coalitions have strict and complex rules about what you're allowed to do in order to succeed. So it comes as no surprise that people would funnel a lot of money into researching ways to push the limits of those rules or to break the rules without being caught. The arms race between researchers producing enhancement techniques that are not tested for or cannot be tested for and certification organizations updating their testing procedures has been going on for over a century, and it has produced some impressive results. It's important to note that sports training is also a science, and it advances over time; so it's to an extent unsurprising that the achievements of top level athletes continue to improve. However it is also indicative that average performance levels have historically increased in all fields of athletic endeavor, suffering only modest (but observable) losses when testing for “cheaters” has increased. Speeds in the Tour de France went up by nearly four kilometers per hour when EPO was introduced, and they fell only slightly when aggressive EPO testing was applied to racers. The three minute mile was achieved in 2035, and the two minute mile was achieved in 2061. The athletes in question tested negative for everything the international athletics commission tested for at the time, but no one really thinks that people get those kinds of results from dedication alone.

Lancers would do well to keep track of the goings on in sports medicine, because it is the ultimate source of a substantial portion of the covert augmentation. If someone can slip an enhancement past the glaring eyes of a multi-billion SpDR sports federation and a hundred thousand screaming fans, what chance does a disinterested transit cop have? Even more interesting, is that sports are interested in peak performance levels to a degree that beating another highly augmented and specialized person in feats of strength or speed by a kilogram or a meter is worth seven figures or more. This in turn means that for those who really want the extra edge and are willing to pay for it, the castoffs from sports enhancement research may be exactly what the shady doctor secretly ordered.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Nice. Sports medicine is an elegant touch.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Stahlseele wrote:yeah, if i wanted scientifically correct ones . . .
but no, WE WANT THE JURASSIC PARK ONES!
And you get the Jurassic Park ones, because those are far more effective guard animals than the real ones. The real Deinonychus had soft, fuzzy down, probably didn't hunt in packs, and probably couldn't kill anything with its claw (which was actually used for climbing). However, since these things have been genetically engineered for lethal efficiency, they're ruthless killing machines that gang up on you, grow claws and teeth that can open up a main battle tank like a tin can, and can sneak better a ninja wearing flannel.
The stuff about augmentation all makes good sense. I find it especially amusing that you don't need a "spyware" category because sports augments do it better.

There might be one more classification, though. The augments built specifically for crime don't give a crap about proper integration or safety. They're built in garages so that they're unpredictable, dirt cheap, disposable, and above all untraceable and without a financial trail.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

I'm guessing lancer is going to be the name for PCs, then, instead of runner?
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, i wondered about the Lancer part too O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, i wondered about the Lancer part too O.o
I'm guessing it's short for freelancer.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

A Man In Black wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, i wondered about the Lancer part too O.o
I'm guessing it's short for freelancer.
Hrm, makes sense, i guess . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Murtak wrote:
You can't just throw everything you can think of into the game, and that goes double for anything that is either bullshit (chaos demons) or that invalidates pieces of the setting you really want to keep (light sabers - add them and knives and swords are out).

At that point, why not go for broke and add time and dimension travel to the game, so you can add medieval knights and vulcans?

Dinosaurs are not PCs, they are not NPCs and they sure as hell don't belong into a cyberpunk setting. Not even close.
I don't see why not, expanding upon the genre isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially if it's within the theme and confines of the setting, such as how "chaos demons" work because there's already another dimension in the world, in this setting, see why not it can't be limbo instead, include Limbo, or just being that cthulhu dimension already (shrugs). As for Lightsabers, Shadowrun had "vibroblades" which to some extent I'm sure invalidates knives and swords, mono-filament swords even, could just have Lightsabers as something to replace the below weapons, never saw the appeal to vibroblades anyway, other than trying to see how many people giggle at the name.

Probably not so much "time" travel, but limited form of dimensional travel I can see, considering Shadowrun already had one that existed. Course obviously not something probably a regular run/adventure in this setting, perhaps one of the more final tasks in the game itself, being brief thing to happen, and/or as way of characters dying off a fate worse than death kind of thing. You can already look like a medieval Knight in Shadowrun, can't say I'd care for going around adding people from other time periods to it. As for Vulcans? which I assume alien life, which is..I guess? Been stories of fantasy where creatures came from the sky, so it has some place in the "fantasy" portion of this game at least.

Fair enough in regards to them mostly impractical as PC's, from the societal perspective, it'd be very limited for the player what they might be able to get away with. Sounds like should probably be just one of those exotic race options, right up there with stuff like the Goblins, AI, and centaurs, in the case have that certain campaign to make it work. However, find it heavily doubtful they wouldn't be workable as NPC's, make easy antagonists, and not sure why limit them away as that at least.

After all, this is cyberpunk sure, but there's also a Magic portion to this too. I think adding more extreme, and "ludicrous" ideas could be good for improving this Shadowrun-esque game. Which seems to indicate from postings from Frank and others, that game be lending more this way (hell yeah for Unicorn police), and sounds like a good thing to me.
Last edited by Aryxbez on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I do not think "Rifts" or "TORG" when I hear "cyberpunk".
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

The Vocational Augmentations section is haunting for anyone who's struggled through college. Excellent work.

Do you have an editor for this, by the way? I just wrapped up a gig working on the sequel to Weapons of the Gods, and I'm a big fan of your work.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Fuchs wrote:I do not think "Rifts" or "TORG" when I hear "cyberpunk".
That is pretty much what I think when I read Aryxbez' posts - "oh god no, that sounds like Rifts".

Frankly, Shadowrun already has too many plots, too much weirdness and too many "lol, yeah that sounds cool, add it" moments. Dragons and hellhounds are fine. Cockatrices? Ok. Ghost lemurs? Cool bit of flavor. Vampires as a disease? I guess you can't leave them out, and at least the flavor sort of fits. Two thousand paracritters, each more bizarre than the last? Please. And the same goes double for extradimensional threats. Toxic spirits are a damn cool idea, but they are already setting-warping. Bug spirits were simply not needed. Horrors? Body-snatchers? Why the fuck do we need three separate extradimensional invasions? Heck, add the metahuman subtypes to that list. If they exist at all they sure as hell do not need stats.

I sort of remember a huge discussion on the den about this very topic, but the gist of it is this: there is a finite amount of concepts you can cram into a setting without diluting it, and in my opinion Shadowrun already has way too many. Adding more stuff on top of a Shadowrun-like setting will make it worse, not better.
Murtak
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

You skipped (or deliberately omitted?) recreational augmentations. Off the top of my head:
- cochlear headphones
- crazy synaesthesia rigs
- crazy sex stuff (specificity is probably not helpful, but it does come up in some of the core fiction: LadyJane uses that bondage sphere as handcuffs for Molly; something similar gets used in Virtual Light; Mona Lisa verdrive uses that thing which paralyzes you; etc.)
- cosmetics
- implanted watches, glucose monitors, blinky lights, laser pointers, etc.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW78wbN-WuU

Actually a pretty good dog-and-pony show for the current state of cybernetics.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

What about plastic surgery? There's a bit of a passing mention of therapeutic plastic surgery, but elective plastic surgery is a major industry in the here and now, as well as one of the biggest inspirations for cyberpunk in general, and it isn't mentioned at all.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote:Do you have an editor for this, by the way? I just wrapped up a gig working on the sequel to Weapons of the Gods, and I'm a big fan of your work.
"A thousand eyes make all bugs small."
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Lokathor wrote:
RiotGearEpsilon wrote:Do you have an editor for this, by the way? I just wrapped up a gig working on the sequel to Weapons of the Gods, and I'm a big fan of your work.
"A thousand eyes make all bugs small."
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote:The Vocational Augmentations section is haunting for anyone who's struggled through college. Excellent work.

Do you have an editor for this, by the way? I just wrapped up a gig working on the sequel to Weapons of the Gods, and I'm a big fan of your work.
Actually, I don't. I would actually like to get an art and editing budget and possibly even print dead trees versions of this. I'm looking in to funding possibilities even now.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Advertising it as $R4.5A is probably out of the question *snickers*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Yes, definitely. However, regardless of what comes up finance-wise, I'm interested. I realize that my attempt to offer up work for the War! project fell through, but I have actual experience editing actual work now.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yeah Frank we're totally behind you on this one.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered