MC Koumei representing

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Still no Disgaeagame sourcebook, is that going to be important to playing? It seems like it would be.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sorry, here they are:

File 1 (creation, races, classes etc):
http://www.mediafire.com/?1w04aa7roh1hm89

File 2 (some prestige classes, items etc):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5yxxgbkqjhz59qy
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

So, current players are:

1) Prak Anima's Ninja/Monk/Swashbuckler lost royalty deal. I don't know the Ninja or Swashbuckler classes, which makes pegging this one hard, but it looks like this is a melee fighter? Or maybe "Your Opponent Is Me!" does something completely different from what I'm thinking.
2) Josh Kablack's Blue Mage with Monk so she can have high AC in lingerie. Combat role is a skirmisher/berserker archetype.
3) Quantumboost's Sailor Medic, who may or may not still be playing? Different posts have given me different impressions, I'm 90% sure Sailor Medic is still in.

My character is starting at level 4, and with all the statlines taken, I suppose I just roll my own and keep whatever I end up with? I'm considering either a Vampire Samurai or a Marionette Jester, leaning more towards the former because while I've had some great success playing the light-hearted guy who makes fun of the world in the past, it really works better if the world is dark and nasty and he's an actual contrast to it.

I'm also wondering if it'd be more entertaining to stick with the all-female team or be the only male.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Sailor Medic is so totally still in. You can't even comprehend how still in Sailor Medic is.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Hello, and sorry for just suddenly dropping by, but this game has caught my curiosity
(since I'm such a hopeless Disgaea fan and all...) but there have been things stopping me from actually asking if I can join.

1. What are all the things I need to install so I can actually join in? ICQ and...?

2. Around which time are the games? I ask this since I live in the cold hell that is Finland,
which means that time zones usually fuck up every situation I am in for the most part if they have anything to do with people outside Finland itself.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Pretty much all of these questions were answered on the last page when I asked them, you can look them up. Also, it turns out this game doesn't use ICQ chat. At all. Go figure.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Oh, okay.

"If you're in Europe, it's reeeeeally early Wednesday mornings." - Really early? As in 05:00 AM or 04:00 AM ??

If so, then I guess losing a few hours of sleep (thus making the rings below my eyes look even darker) would be worth it.

EDIT!! ...wait, no more edits.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

1) Prak Anima's Ninja/Monk/Swashbuckler lost royalty deal. I don't know the Ninja or Swashbuckler classes, which makes pegging this one hard, but it looks like this is a melee fighter? Or maybe "Your Opponent Is Me!" does something completely different from what I'm thinking.
Swashbuckler

Ninja in question

Koumei is generally pretty open to including various classes pulled from around this or other forums - just ask her about it first.

As for Prak's character: her role is basically pirate "captain" who tells us what to do, so we can then ignore her.

The combat role is mixed - her highest attack bonus is with pistol, but she has a bunch of abilities that combo in odd ways to make melee difficult for opponents:
  • alarune 10' reach,
  • fencing to parry an attack a round on top of a reasonably high AC for a light-armor character
  • comboing ninja Surprise with swashbuckler Your Opponent is me with the secondary monk slam to get a pair of auto-crits any time an engaged opponent fails to attack her
  • counter-balancing that with the Monk style where she gets to take an AoO as trip or disarm (with Combat Looting bonus) against an opponent who does attack her.
A lot of that trickery hasn't mattered as combats are have been generally short and involved few enemies - but with that in mind
Have to decide which class to level up.
I would advise taking Ninja 2 - for going first all the time.

"If you're in Europe, it's reeeeeally early Wednesday mornings." - Really early? As in 05:00 AM or 04:00 AM ??
In the EEST that Finalnd uses the game would start between 5 and 6 am - with a possible shift for Aussie Daylight Savings time in about a month and another potential shift for the end of Finnish Daylight Time shortly after that.

EDIT!! This post is subject to further edits (I could brew up a character idea and put it here if I actually AM allowed to join this one. And I actually wonder which IRC client to use.)
I can't speak for who or how many Koumei wants to join, but I can say that I didn't have much trouble using the open-source multi-protocal Pidgin chat client for IRC.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

We have one person joining as the fourth (from the IRC channel we sort of invaded), with a GAR-chipped Robo-Maid Barbarian.

So if both Chamomile and icyshadowlord also want in, that means we're at the upper limit, 6 PCs - that's acceptable, and means there's wiggle room when people can't rock up. But it does mean we won't need to advertise for any more :)

So yeah, I'll generally allow other stuff from the Den at the end of the day, and you can either use some website Java-based thing or download HydraIRC (freeware) or mIRC (nagware), and it starts at 12-midday GMT +10

When DLS kicks in, I might just start at the same time "cosmic time scale", so my clock will say 11 but it means not confusing every other player.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Alright, so...I've brewed up some ideas on which classes to pick and such for the most part, but now I ended up having three different character ideas to go with (which are based off characters I have actually made in the past outside D&D games), one male and two females. I don't wanna make any TL:DR character descriptions, but you can just ask for more detailed information anyway.

1. The male is a Human Monk / Storm Lord ( This variant http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50797 ) with focus on the first, if allowed. Fancily dressed guy who can kick ass. Sees himself as the most awesome thing to ever exist, and wants to become the Overlord. Would probably hang around the party for shits and giggles (and to stare at boobs).

2. First female would be a Human Samurai / Fire Mage with a focus on the first class. She's a shrine maiden from some distant Netherworld, who left her shrine behind. Suffers of the tropes Damaged Soul and Locked into Strangeness due to dying and coming back somehow. She would probably hang out with the group since she has nothing better to do.

3. Second female would be a Succubus Time Mage. Even though she likes to read about magic and such, she wears glasses more for the added charm (because some guys have a thing for gals with glasses) and is a typical succubus for the most part who would join the group for her own benefit. I could link a picture of her if needed.

EDIT!! Also, AIM is being a dick by not sending me a confirmation e-mail.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Holy bugger do Surprise! and Your Opponent Is Me! ever combo well. Was that intentional, Koumei?

I'm still stuck between my Vampire Samurai, a very Christopher Nolan-esque professional villain (with business cards and everything) intended as a Blue Oni to the world's collective Red Oni shtick, and a Jester of some race who will instead be more of an "eat, drink, and by merry" type, whose definition of "be merry" involves "pillage, loot, and rape." The latter will probably be female, just because we've got a theme going and without the Christopher Nolan mimickery there's no reason to upset it. And also because women are a chaotic, hysterical, and ultimately destructive sort of creature and need the strong hand of a male to keep them in line.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

icyshadowlord wrote:I could link a picture of her if needed.
Pictures of succubi are always relevant.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Judging from that post, the succubus seems to have caught your attention. (Even though that damned shrine maiden tempts me.)

Well, since you asked...here's a picture http://devilshaart.deviantart.com/art/Stop-192029485
(Yes, I am in that site, and no, I did not draw that, it was a request. And that black thing behind her is supposed to be her robes...which she didn't bother wearing. )

Edits for great justice...and clarifications. (And just realized the succubus doesn't have her glasses. Oh, well.)
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

icyshadowlord wrote:Judging from that post, the succubus seems to have caught your attention. (Even though that damned shrine maiden tempts me.)
Alternatively, Koumei just wanted succubus pix. For the boobies and all.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Okay, doing up both characters at once so I can pick one by tomorrow and because it's Labor Day and have nothing better to do but generate characters.

Statline is 16, 16, 13, 11, 10, 8, I'll use that for both. It's decent.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote:When DLS kicks in, I might just start at the same time "cosmic time scale", so my clock will say 11 but it means not confusing every other player.
Well the problem with international games is that different countries go in and out of DST on different dates - so there will be confusion when the clocks change.
Pictures of succubi are always relevant.
Well then: Relevant Photobucket Gallery

looks like they purged the NSFW ones, but you can scroll down to the rest.

As to the new characters, play what seems interesting to you, but be aware this is a rather silly game.

I would also submit that it's probably better if we don't have two new PCs who are Samurai-classed unless they have some sort of related backstory or common history between them.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Weeeell, are there any alternative lightly-armored katana (actually wields some chinese sword)-wielders than the Samurai? Since that character isn't really a Samurai, but more of a wandering youkai hunter / shrine maiden in her original story (which does not apply here, since Disgaea is about demons, not youkai)

*Goes to check the Sohei class again*
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Worth noting that the Samurai I'm statting up has been converted to a seven and a half foot, nightmarishly thin Jack with a pale white pumpkin head whose ancestral weapon is a scythe, because that totally makes sense for Jacks and X4 crits four times per day are a wonderful thing. His name is Hobbes and his thing is that he used to be part of a professional villainy corporation of sorts (basically trying to wring some silliness out of corporate culture when your 9-5 job is decapitating goblinoids), the CEO of which made a bid for Overlord-ship but was tragically slain along with practically all of the employees a few months back. The philosopher-themed employees are now Hobbes' ancestral spirits. So, if we have a traditional katana-wielding samurai then it'd probably not be terribly redundant thematically.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I still need to set up all these IRC things and such... (I sound so pathetic when I phrase it like that) ...and the game is wednesday, right? I'll just go with the shrine maiden (since she has chances for character development compared to the other two). And I would have made her a Sohei instead of a Samurai, but Soheis aren't proficient with Katana-like swords. (She uses a Jian, a type of Chinese sword)
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

There is a word for a 28-inch double-edged sword with a cross-shaped hilt. It's called a short sword, and minor variations between the Chinese Jian and the Roman Gladius are few enough that both of them can be covered by just being a short sword in terms of game mechanics.

Alternatively, if you're using one of the longer Jian, than it's a long sword.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Chamomile wrote:There is a word for a 28-inch double-edged sword with a cross-shaped hilt. It's called a short sword, and minor variations between the Chinese Jian and the Roman Gladius are few enough that both of them can be covered by just being a short sword in terms of game mechanics.

Alternatively, if you're using one of the longer Jian, than it's a long sword.
*applause*
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I would say the longer Jian, since it fits the best. And I actually should have read more about swords and their lengths after all.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I've got about 24 hours before game start and only need to add a feat and a background to Hobbes. I'm open to suggestions for both. For the feat I'm currently stuck between Lightning Reflexes, which would probably be optimal in order to deal with my currently abysmal Reflex save, Murderous Intent, which would go with the "terrifying scythe-wielding monster" flavor I've got going for him so far, and Leadership, which is redundant but allows me to have an army of spooky minions, which is also cool flavor.

For the background, Royalty of a Fallen Nation is again redundant, but fits with the backstory I have so far just by making him a department head in EvilCo. before its hostile takeover at the hands of insert-villain-here, while taking Veteran of the War will give me the heavy armor of my choice. If I take full plate, my movement and stealth will be impaired for the next two levels, but I'll have an AC of 22 instead of 19. This also fits into his backstory, as EvilCo. presumably fought multiple wars against other contenders for the throne, and possibly even won some of them. I'm just having a hard time seeing this guy, whose whole visual aesthetic is "inhumanly thin," in heavy armor. Again, this is a question of optimal vs. most fun.

EDIT: And Lilith is also done, but I like Hobbes way better.
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Chamomile wrote:I've got about 24 hours before game start and only need to add a feat and a background to Hobbes. I'm open to suggestions for both. For the feat I'm currently stuck between Lightning Reflexes, which would probably be optimal in order to deal with my currently abysmal Reflex save, Murderous Intent, which would go with the "terrifying scythe-wielding monster" flavor I've got going for him so far, and Leadership, which is redundant but allows me to have an army of spooky minions, which is also cool flavor.
I always find it hard not to take Combat School for tome melee characters. Likewise Blitz adds scary amounts of damage for samurai-auto crit abilities.

If you do go the leadership route, the feat you want is probably Master of Terror - which I'm just gonna quote here outta the compiled Tomes PDF, (because the [skill] feats aren't clearly organized in the original threads:)
Master of Terror [Leadership] [Skill]
You scare people so bad they follow you around hoping you won't hurt them.
Intimidate ranks:
0: Whenever you use Intimidate in combat, it affects everyone within 30 feet of you.
4: You gain followers. Your leadership score is equal to
your ranks in Intimidate plus your Charisma modifier.
9: You gain a cohort who enjoys frightening your underlings almost as much as you do. A cohort is an intelligent and loyal creature with a CR at least 2 less than your character level. Cohorts gain levels
when you do.
14: You gain the frightful presence ability. When you speak or attack, enemies within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1=2 your character level + your Cha modier) or become shaken for
5d6 rounds. An opponent that succeeds on its saving throw is immune to your frightful presence for 24 hours.
19: Your opponents take a -2 morale penalty to saving throws if they can see you and you are within medium range (based on your character level).
So it's basically SPOOOOKY leadership, that gives your Jack racial swift intimidate an AoE.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's really no reason an inhumanly thin character can't wear heavy armour. It doesn't really even need to bulk him out much. Pm a description and I can draw you something. Need to draw more anyway.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.