Enchanters/illusionists should just be bards.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Enchanters/illusionists should just be bards.

Post by Psychic Robot »

Like, keep the bard class the same but give them ninth-level spells for enchantment/illusion. Let them use their instrument as a focus for their spells. Thoughts?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

So, the bard and the beguiler do the fusion dance?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

The title of your thread is backwards. The content of your post is, as usual after clicking through the ignore, under-whelming.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The bard should be an evoker. Musical instruments are a dumb focus for invisibility and silent image, but using a guitar to make a lightning bolt and a wall of flame, or a trumpet to shout is fucking awesome.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

My brother played trumpet in high school. We made an endless number of jokes along the lines of his playing the trumpet and something awesome coming out the other end, a power which he would use to fight crime and/or save the world from aliens. I think that counts as the power being supported by the genre.
Last edited by Chamomile on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:The bard should be an evoker. Musical instruments are a dumb focus for invisibility and silent image, but using a guitar to make a lightning bolt and a wall of flame, or a trumpet to shout is fucking awesome.
No, not a guitar, an Axe, wielded by a stereotypical dwarf with gratutious umlats.

And there is probably sufficient thematic space for Metal Bards to have necromancy and outsider summoning.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Music magic should just be a feat that gives Perform as a class skill and some scaling bonus, plus the flavor of casting your spells with music. Or make it a character background, it doesn't need to be a whole separate class. You can have Musical Clerics too, if someone wants to play one.
Last edited by Whatever on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Bards are ghey so I rather have them eliminated and give Illusionists all the schticks.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

Gx1080 wrote:Bards are ghey so I rather have them eliminated and give Illusionists all the schticks.
+1

There's a reason you don't see bards in any kind of cinematic fantasy. Watching that happen would be ridiculously stupid.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Chamomile wrote:My brother played trumpet in high school. We made an endless number of jokes along the lines of his playing the trumpet and something awesome coming out the other end, a power which he would use to fight crime and/or save the world from aliens. I think that counts as the power being supported by the genre.
I think I've seen something like that
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'd prefer to remove spell casting from bards and make them a lot closer to the religious operatives that they were historically.

Emphasis on the extreme nature of bardic training. Such as the final test before a bard was allowed to be called such: being placed in a stone coffin full of water up till your mouth was covered, but your nose wasn't, for three days, and having to create and recite a new and original work upon being let out from under the stone lid. Alternately the fact that Bards were some of the few trusted parties to broker deals between tribes in conflict, or the fact that Bards were used as agents of Druids.

Making tourbadours an npc class is something that's fine as well. Most of what is commonly shown in medieval fantasy are not bards, but rather wandering tourbadours who haven't actually gone through and learned the wide range of crazy crap that a Bard was expected to learn.

However a Bard was meant to be a teacher and instructor to children, historian for their people, and an agent and operative for their rulers and religious leaders.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.