I think Wizards just added more to the [Awesome] Tag...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: I think Wizards just added more to the [Awesome] Tag...

Post by Koumei »

Sigma: Your mileage may vary.

But for the most part, those who made it into University suddenly could more or less screw around as much as they want (and most seem to intentionally fail a few things, swap majors around and basically delay having to leave and get a job for as long as possible), those who didn't don't have a realistic chance of getting into the cycle again.

I met one chap who had a really poor TER on the grounds that he spent most of grade 12 on cocaine and PCP. This determined his occupation: gang member. He only actually left when a raid left him with permanent eye damage, and doesn't have great job prospects remaining. By the same token, I have met a few who lucked out and managed to turn everything around.

But even if I was magically given another ten or twenty years to live with, the fact that bullying, avoidant personality disorder, social anxiety and depression crippled my results and thus my options basically means that the best I can manage is to spend all my days on the Internet, avoiding real people that I don't know, start taking opium to help cope, and see if I can manage to survive the couple of years I have remaining.

Anyway, more on topic, the idea of rooms filled with humanoid monsters is kind of cool, even if it will make rounds last longer. I have found that groups tend to allow everyone to have a turn and make AoE damage more useful than single target SoD effects.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

"Even better, the difference between a level X monster and a level X + 1 monster is much smaller."

This is going to be odd. Levels in a PC class won't be the same as challenge level. Or they've toned down how much the PCs get per level. Or its a great big mess.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Probably the last of the three. "A big mess" seems to be their favourite, but I'd like for them to surprise me here.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Yahzi wrote:It doesn't actually matter what you write about. Your writing is a blast to read.
Unfortunately, I don't think he can write "stab in the face" in a medicine paper - especially about surgery ...

Prak wrote:never said there was, just said that that was me and that's why I want to write gaming material, because I know what it feels like to be that kid and I want to provide for them
Seriously, don't have the "I write for losers" mindset. And, well, the more people like you, the more idiots wanna be around you - is it good?

Draco_Argentum wrote:Or its a great big mess.
Of course.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1188402187[/unixtime]]
Of course.

D&D has never been anything else. This is why attempts at 'balance' have and will always fail, unless the basics of the game are uprooted and swapped, which fans will hate.
Or maybe the concept of PC-vs-monster-encounter balance has been a big joke for 30+ years, that everyone simply chose to accept?
I'm leaning more to the latter.

When I DM I throw light punches with whatever encounter occurs, and if PCs seem to take a beating or one suddenly dies (which is extremely rare) I arrange for a mutual withdraw at best.
If an encounter is too easy, I crank the next (similar) encounter up a notch.
Seems cheesy, but in this way I not only ignore CR completely and go by the capabilities of foes like damage output, accuracy (hit bonus, spell DC), durability, and locomotion rather than some arbitrary number ranking that we have oh so known and loved as CR.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I think this has always been the case, even from the first edition. In order to balance you need to be able to measure everything that goes into the balance; that includes the players.

I remember in 2nd edition, with a little player power creep, (the better method for stat determination, the addition of player kits, etc.) I had to crank the enounter levels up by 1 or 2 just to keep the players from becomming bored.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1188402187[/unixtime]]
Yahzi wrote:It doesn't actually matter what you write about. Your writing is a blast to read.
Unfortunately, I don't think he can write "stab in the face" in a medicine paper - especially about surgery ...

He's Frank, He'll manage to work it in...

Prak wrote:never said there was, just said that that was me and that's why I want to write gaming material, because I know what it feels like to be that kid and I want to provide for them
Seriously, don't have the "I write for losers" mindset. And, well, the more people like you, the more idiots wanna be around you - is it good?

What's the problem with the "I write for losers" mindset? I don't really see it that way, I think of it more as "I write for people like myself" and "I understand society sees me as a loser."

Of course.

absolutely impossible for it too be anything else, it's created by humans.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Prak wrote:What's the problem with the "I write for losers" mindset? I don't really see it that way, I think of it more as "I write for people like myself" and "I understand society sees me as a loser."
Well, if you don't think the people in question are losers, sorry for misrepresenting; but, hell, you shouldn't even think people are anything specific - seriously, write for people who like RPG and put everything else outta the equation.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well hell, it's not like I'm going to write stuff specifically targeting "losers", no, I'm going to write RPG stuff that interests me and if the popular rpg-playing kids like it, well then I'll have more money, won't I?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Probably not. The opportunity costs of RPG-writing often get people in the end.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1188503096[/unixtime]]Probably not. The opportunity costs of RPG-writing often get people in the end.

Elaborate please.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1188561617[/unixtime]]
Voss at [unixtime wrote:1188503096[/unixtime]]Probably not. The opportunity costs of RPG-writing often get people in the end.

Elaborate please.

Instead of writing RPG material I could be studying for my entrance exam and interview at Charles University.
...or playing an RPG with my real life friends.
...or working at my ambulance job.
...or hitting on the young women who hang out at the Quickly on Stevens Creek next to the 85.

When you write RPG material well, at the end of the day you have a toy that other people will play with. And that's awesome, but our society does not feed people who do that sort of thing, nor does it usually send attractive members of the opposite sex to them or shower them with praise outside of a fairly niche social group.

The opportunity cost is that the writing is generally speaking less fun than the playing, and it doesn't do anything from a "guns and butter" standpoint anyway, and it's not a form of art that is well respected or rewarded (financially) in our society. The economic opportunity costs of RPG writing are quite high.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

If you've got time to hit on young women at Stevens Creek and 85, you should come up 85 another four miles and visit me :P

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1188579359[/unixtime]]
Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1188561617[/unixtime]]

Elaborate please.

Instead of writing RPG material I could be studying for my entrance exam and interview at Charles University.
...or playing an RPG with my real life friends.
...or working at my ambulance job.
...or hitting on the young women who hang out at the Quickly on Stevens Creek next to the 85.

When you write RPG material well, at the end of the day you have a toy that other people will play with. And that's awesome, but our society does not feed people who do that sort of thing, nor does it usually send attractive members of the opposite sex to them or shower them with praise outside of a fairly niche social group.

well lets see here...
Our society feeds a whole lot of people, and I don't think a game company is the only thing I'll be doing... I'm also looking at owning a restaurant, and owning a store or two... and while my inherent nature means that the restaurant will be kinda nerd themed, and that one of the stores will be a nerd megamart... it also means that the other store is likely to be of an "adult" nature.... which society loves...
I already have a very attractive member of the opposite sex, she's sleeping the day away down the hall.
As for praise... I can live with just the praise of nerds...

The opportunity cost is that the writing is generally speaking less fun than the playing, and it doesn't do anything from a "guns and butter" standpoint anyway, and it's not a form of art that is well respected or rewarded (financially) in our society. The economic opportunity costs of RPG writing are quite high.

-Username17

They may be high, but I choose to accept them, and find ways around them...

and what the hell does "Gun and Butter" mean?

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1188672201[/unixtime]]

and what the hell does "Gun and Butter" mean?

Guns and Butter

here you go
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1188672201[/unixtime]
well lets see here...
Our society feeds a whole lot of people, and I don't think a game company is the only thing I'll be doing... I'm also looking at owning a restaurant, and owning a store or two... and while my inherent nature means that the restaurant will be kinda nerd themed, and that one of the stores will be a nerd megamart... it also means that the other store is likely to be of an "adult" nature.... which society loves...
I already have a very attractive member of the opposite sex, she's sleeping the day away down the hall.
As for praise... I can live with just the praise of nerds...

Oh dear gods. I'm not sure I can walk the very fine line between disillusioning you in a helpful manner and just being cruel. But, I'll give a try.

You've already mentioned that you work a crap seasonal job and can't even afford a place to live. Where is the money for one business, let alone four :wtf: going to come from? Magical fairies that give self-described losers money?

This reads like something from the Underpants Gnomes School of Business-
Collect Underwear/ write RPG material
???
Profit!

and on a personal note- telling people you 'have' a girl is not a good way to keep a relationship intact.

And yeah, thats the helpful version...
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1188690012[/unixtim
and on a personal note- telling people you 'have' a girl is not a good way to keep a relationship intact.

I don't understand why that's wrong.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1188691722[/unixtime]]
Voss at [unixtime wrote:1188690012[/unixtim

I don't understand why that's wrong.

It's no more wrong then a girl saying she "has" a guy. Just hope that the couple is into possessive relationships, as it sounds like a clear case of ownership.
Or, most likely, I am taking this message board too seriously.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Maybe I have a skewed perception, my ex was extremely possessive, and she's officially the only woman I've convinced to have sexual intercourse with me thus far.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

"Officially" as in "legally"?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak's lovelife seems fine. Few strings n all.

Frank needs to find a 'gamer girlfriend' though, if not by now...
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1188696331[/unixtime]]"Officially" as in "legally"?

Well, my ex and I have commited many illegal acts during sexual congress. That has less to do with perversion and more to do with the fact that Virginia's practically a dictatorship.

But I suck, I've only had sex with one woman. I still haven't quite figured out what the hell they want yet.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1188794864[/unixtime]]
But I suck, I've only had sex with one woman. I still haven't quite figured out what the hell they want yet.

Sorry, can't help you there. :confused:
Everyone has their own private hell. HAHAHAHAHAAA
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1188794864[/unixtime]]
Well, my ex and I have commited many illegal acts during sexual congress. That has less to do with perversion and more to do with the fact that Virginia's practically a dictatorship.

Most of those laws are unconstitutional, due to Lawrence v. Texas, so I wouldn't worry about it much.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Isn't there one state that made "any private sexual activity between two consenting adults" illegal, and sort of forgot that that includes "Regular marital sex"?

Or is that one of those random "internet facts" that was just made up?