Stuff that wasn't Eberron

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Stuff that wasn't Eberron

Post by Koumei »

Yes, Russians are indeed close enough. A lot of Europeans, to tell the truth, I just say Swedish because my ex is Swedish (the only reason for break-up being "We need to find people who are actually within driving distance").
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Have I mentioned lately in how low opinion I'm holding you guys because you're talking about designing game world races off of cariactures of real-world ones?

No, I'm not being ironic or sarcastic. I'm not playing around. You're heading into FATAL territory and I really think you should stop.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Aside from the first idea posted (which started this whole thing), who says we're actually making settings to base the races off these stereotypes? I'm more interested in just finding out the existing ones, and making the occasional bitchy remark.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

You take this stuff too seriously, Lago. Besides, no one was designing anything, or even being vaguely serious; just shoot'n the breeze.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Okay. My bad, y'all. I overreacted.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Quite all right. I'll admit the subject matter was in bad taste anyway, but we did it for the lulz.

Also, I'm willing to admit I'm racist. Just, I don't commit hate crimes or believe the stereotypes, so I guess I'm doing okay.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Everyone is a little bit racist.

Because back during cafveman days, the caveman that assumed all sabretooth cats were trouble survived, and the ones that wanted to go out and learn their unique life perspective got eaten.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189636809[/unixtime]]wowooo! Ima joinin da Armyyy aw shit wait, I'm American. We just sacrifice our grunts to Arab extremists in a pissy third world country....

If you're Jewish you can become an Israeli citizen really easily.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

"Or ya know you can just go and visit there if all you want to do is bang a couple girls. Probably a better can than signing up for the army of a country that has been at war for the past 58 years. Heck just go to Goa in India its packed with Israelis just out of the army.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, Lago, I was merely pointing out what the stereotypes that went into the races were, I didn't intend on making serious designs based off of them...

though I am putting gnome nazis into one of my games one of these days...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1189701066[/unixtime]]
sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189636809[/unixtime]]wowooo! Ima joinin da Armyyy aw shit wait, I'm American. We just sacrifice our grunts to Arab extremists in a pissy third world country....

If you're Jewish you can become an Israeli citizen really easily.

Oh what a fucking con... I'ma declare jihad until they relax that to allow Southern Irish/German/Lowland Scottish people that look vaguely Jewish in.

Still, my home here in Baltimore on the east coast US should have the Owings Mills town called "Little Israel". The whole fucking thing shuts down on Sabbath.. the private shops, the restaurants, half the mall...
I like Israelis but as with most mediterranean people I meet they tend to be loud, ignorant of personal space, and bulldoze conversations.
Sort of like New Jersey college students that flood this state for cheaper tuition rates, but hate us "southerners" for being "too friendly". -_o

That, and the Israeli vendors, mostly girls, grab me by the arm in the malls to try to sell things. That's a no-no.
Or maybe that's just the cautious Scandinavian in me talkin.
I can't stand to be touched by strangers without just cause or introduction, so maybe it's either personal flaw of mine, cultural, or genetic...

But still I wonder, are all the obnoxious people being exported here to America? Is it better over there on the other side of the world? Are people really as polite as I read and hear about?
And likewise, are our retarded Americans being exported to fuck up your countries with tourists?!?!
I need to know!!

I'm lacking certain aspects of a world-view, having not traveled very much (that will change as I get a new career. the disability support came through today. money = travel.), but I'm getting better...

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Want to know something funny in a sad way?

Valenar Elves in Eberron wear desert robes, are nomadic, extremely violent as a society, and they invented the scimitar.
What stereotype does that equal?

Or how about Karrnathi humans? Dour, live in a cold, mountainous country, with vampires everywhere.

I wish that I could make this shit up.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189733424[/unixtime]]Want to know something funny in a sad way?

Valenar Elves in Eberron wear desert robes, are nomadic, extremely violent as a society, and they invented the scimitar.

Genghis Khan and his Mongol horde?
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189729182[/unixtime]]But still I wonder, are all the obnoxious people being exported here to America?
Yes, actually. This goes back to the original European settlers of North America, including my first american ancestors and, most likely, yours as well:tongue:
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1189782485[/unixtime]]
Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1189733424[/unixtime]]Want to know something funny in a sad way?

No, they're supposed to be the Freemen of Dune.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189729182[/unixtime]]

Still, my home here in Baltimore on the east coast US should have the Owings Mills town called "Little Israel". The whole fucking thing shuts down on Sabbath.. the private shops, the restaurants, half the mall...

Because, you know, American Christians never shut shit down on Sundays...
:rolleyes:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Here in South Australia, just about everything closes on Sundays, regardless of race, religion or hairstyle. Everything shuts stupidly early on weekdays, too. I miss Melbourne, where most places in the city were open at 11PM, or even 8PM.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1189782485[/unixtime]]

The Turks invented the Scimitar. However, the Valenar Elves are a lot like Mongolians.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Rob_Knotts at [unixtime wrote:1189785090[/unixtime]]
sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189729182[/unixtime]]But still I wonder, are all the obnoxious people being exported here to America?
Yes, actually. This goes back to the original European settlers of North America, including my first american ancestors and, most likely, yours as well:tongue:

Most assuredly yes!
However my Irish side goes back only about 5 generations before they were evicted by the English, and my dad's more 'Norse' heritage was.. hm... well-off enough to come on their own volition, probably for business opportunities.
Sadly most of that info is lost since mental disease and alcoholism stretches far back as anyone can trace, so it's not like anyone back then cared enough to write stuff down for future generations, save many pictures, or leave legacies.
So yeah, I'm pretty much 'Americanized', since there's really no history left other than being here. :ohwell:

The shutting down on Sundays really depends on the predominant Christian denomination in any specific area more than a culture-wide phenomenon. It also varies between cities and states.
Here in Baltimore it's too capitalistic; bad for business to shut down on Sunday, tho things are changing with the recent flood of Evangelicals from the south (they want their 'church day'. silly Christians.)
I live slightly north of the very north tip of the "Bible Belt", and it's funny to see many more conservative 'born-agains' attempt to convert the whole fucking area, yet they don't seem to realize there are too many other Protestants (Lutherans, Pentacostals, etc), Catholics (all types), Jews, Muslims, Korean organization-church-group-things, and "other" that don't want that kind of pushy self-righteous crap in their neighborhood.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I know where Baltimore is, and sadly, I'm familiar with what its like there. But most of rural fvcking America shuts down on Sundays (well, not Wal-Mart and crap, but almost everything else shortens the business day). And even in Maryland, rural fvcking America is only about 30 minutes away.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1189833901[/unixtime]]And even in Maryland, rural fvcking America is only about 30 minutes away.

Thankfully yes, "rural fvcking America" is never too far away. What, you want the whole state to be one big Baltimore city? Fvck that.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

No. But rural fvcking America has its own fvcked up shit that bothers me just as much as urban hellholes like Baltimore. But that wasn't my point. He was talking about businesses being closed on Sabbath days as if it was some bizarre aberration. It isn't, that sort of thing is normal across 75% of the country.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I've never seen it on the east coast, haven't been to much of the rest of the country, but I wouldn't be surprised to encounter that kind of thing in the interior or the non-east or west coast southern border.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Ah. My post is missing. Oh well...

But yes, Baltimore sucks, and the deathrate is the worst. I wouldn't wish Baltimore-status on any other US city.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1189839825[/unixtime]]I've never seen it on the east coast, haven't been to much of the rest of the country, but I wouldn't be surprised to encounter that kind of thing in the interior or the non-east or west coast southern border.

Really? I've run into it on the east coast all the time. It isn't as bad as Bank holidays in Britain, but if I wander into town tomorrow, half of it will be shut down, despite 30,000 college students just across the road.