Moderator: Moderators

Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Mearls just tried his best, it says it here:

Post by Gx1080 »

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

"Mearls admits 4th edition might have gone too far in creating a perfectly balanced game."

pffft, I'll admit I had to crack up a little when I heard that line in the summary at the site, and within the article itself. Something about that entire article just seems like it doesn't really understand much of anything that it's talking about. Maybe it's just me, but seems something painful about reading that article all the same.

I'm rather concerned that this article desired to mention him good at much of anything RPG based. Especially so in that it gives me the the notion that other people "think" he's a good designer too, I truly hope not...
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I like how they talk about 4e out selling 3e.

Even though WotC never said that, based on anecdotal reports from some comic book shop guys I know, that seems to be the case.

Also the whole thing talks about preorder sales, with absolutely no mention of what happens once people read the books.

And of course, if you read that article, you would be completely unaware that 4e didn't sell well, and that's why the 5e talk, and the essentials, and the firing, because it just pretends that the sales were pretty much the same as last time.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Pathfinder is outselling 4e on the basis of "We're not 4e!"

That alone speaks volumes.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I think it has more to do with Pathfinder being presented as 3.75: "this is just like that edition, only better!"
Last edited by Libertad on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

The first half is accurate at least.
K
King

Post by K »

Nice article. It's interesting to see the mind-set of a failure.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Damn, you guys are cold. No wonder why I like this board.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

I've heard that the game designers in interviews and promotions back in 2008 tried to hype 4th Edition by putting down 3rd as an unfun, clunky ruleset. If so, this would be the major reason for the broken fanbase. Nobody likes it when they're told that they were never having fun all those years of gaming.

Does anyone have links or transcripts of these statements/interviews?
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

I would start for the "Meet the Tiefling" video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

It makes sense for him to phrase his argument like that though, when you think about it.

"The last edition had too much game balance, and everyone hated it!"
"uh.."
"So this edition will have less game balance! And then people will like it"
"no, wait"
"We're gonna release a version for everyone so that we can all join in on the game!"
"I don't--"
"And DLC for all!"
"stop. stop now."
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Pathfinder is outselling 4e on the basis of "We're not 4e!"

That alone speaks volumes.
Well, technically, Pathfinder is currently outselling 4E. But early on 4E was selling better even after Pathfinder launched.

Still, even Penny Arcade - which used to play a 4E campaign - has switched to Pathfinder with the words "In the New Testatment, there were bread and fishes! Here, you had flood! And plagues! And pillars of mother-fucking salt!"
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

4E D&D's problem wasn't that it was balanced. It's problem was what it did to achieve balance and the fact that it wasn't very balanced at all.

To wit, in the name of balance 4E:

[*] Ended up neutering all of the characters who could actually do things like naughty poodles. Just because we didn't like Linear Warriors / Quadratic Wizards doesn't mean that we'll like Logarithmic Warriors / Logarithmic Wizards.
[*] Intentionally made the physics engine more vague and DM-fiated at the cost of believability in order to prevent abuses.
[*] Completely neutered multiclassing.
[*] Reduced almost all of the powers in the book to damage + stock effect.
[*] Introduced several unliked disassociated mechanics in the game in the name of balance such as level-based DCs and crap like the 50 gold piece / 1 hour door unlocker.
[*] Introduced newer classes that became steadily worse and weaker as the game went on. In the PHB, the only class that isn't in the top three of its role is the paladin and that can change dependent on build.
[*] Churned out errata into the game at a maddening rate.
[*] Hamhandedly slathered on mechanics made to 'improve the game balance' like the expertise feats and item rarity.

And despite all that the game didn't end up very balanced anyway. True, the game doesn't break down as spectacularly as 3E D&D (being more of a whimper than a bang), but balance points of various classes and builds diverged unacceptably long before the end of the game.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

When they say people don't like 4e because it's too balanced, I feel like it's someone saying "women don't like me because my dick is too big and I'm too rich and handsome."

It's a symptom of profound self-delusion OR lack of insight about people bordering on autism OR outright marketing lie. Maybe all three.

4e is not as fun as other games, thus other games have taken a larger share of the RPG market. You can debate the reasons why, but the bottom line is always going to be that 4e is less fun than previous editions.
Last edited by K on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Hey, you know what just occurred to me?

Because Mike Mearls is pretty much admitting that he's a fuck-up and a failure, it probably means that he's not working on 5th Edition D&D or doesn't have enough for a game.

I don't think anyone, even Sean K. Reynolds, is stupid enough to go 'sure, I fucked up the product line during my tenure and have no real idea how to fix it' but then slather their name all over the next product. Or at least there's no way his handlers would've let him say all that to the Escapist.

Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Who says that they "let" him? Maybe he got an advance notice of his pink slip and wants to do a marketing spin for his new job. That article has the same looking-for-pity vibe as Brad McQuaid trying to sell his ass after the failure of Vanguard on f13.

Of course, trying to give a "positive spin" to be one of the biggest causes of the D&D edition wars is like trying to market STD's, but the man doesn't seem to be aware of that.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

We really don't have a guy who's qualified to step up and do things. I mean, there's Monte Cook, but when's the last time he put out something great?

My speculative idea is that WotC has no idea what the hell they are doing now that essentials failed.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Would be the perfect time for some newcomer with a good idea and half a book's worth of material to give'em something. In a better world this would be the chance for some no name to make his way into WOTC. But I'm guessing SOMEONE there has SOMETHING or they'd be making desperate moves. Right now just seems like they are going through the motions. The little articles here and there don't seem desperate enough to hint at them having absolutely nothing.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Penny Arcade, just like Pathfinder, is overrated.

Also, I wonder if any of the guys here at the Den have even the slightest chance of influencing the choices that those morons at WotC are going to make.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

For example, statistics gathered internally show that more than two thirds of D&D players choose to play one of the four major races - human, elf, dwarf, halfling - so there's been a shift to focus on the core of what people expect from the game.
This specifically worries me,

It just becomes a Self-fulfilling prophecy way too fast not to mention that they completely gloss over any other reason for these stats.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Ryan Dancey, former VP of Marketing at WotC wrote:I think the tabletop RPG market is enduring a kind of death. I think it is transforming into something that isn't a viable commercial business for more than a handful of people
I think this might be the most interesting or worrying thing from the article. If the honchos at WotC come to the conclusion that the profit ratio isn't there we might not see a new version of D&D, not even a lame one.

EDIT: I missed the 'former' part of his title.
Last edited by Juton on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

uhmmm he doesn't work for wotc anymore unless I'm mistaken and seeing he claims he is an 'MMO Marketing Expert' with specialties like: "Separating the "wheat" from the "chaff" of tactics vs. strategy", I don't care at all what he thinks
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Xur
Apprentice

Post by Xur »

IIRC, Ryan Dancey is CEO of GoblinWorks or whatever they're called and is responsible for the upcoming Pathfinder MMO. I have a soft spot for him ever since he made a comment about the four different stages in D&D 3E gameplay throughout 20 levels. Said comment lead to the idea of E6.

About Mearls: I would laugh my sorry ass off if he ends up working for Paizo - in fact, I kinda hope it'll come to that. Just yesterday I flipped through Malhavoc's "The Book of Iron Might", with its not-quite-Warforged and the crazy maneuver- and stunt system. Almost all of Mearl's work I am aware of is a sad story of "what if...".
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The puff piece sections of the article are annoying, but in a way they are illuminating as well. It's important to remember that 4e had more pre-order sales than any other D&D product ever. This really is a perfect example of the product itself alienating people and driving away customers.

People were ready for a 3e reboot. People had grudgingly come to accept that Fighters were underpowered and Clerics were overpowered and were willing to accept major changes to get that fixed. People were frustrated by the way items worked in 3e and were willing to accept radical changes to get that fixed. People had grudgingly accepted that there were major problems with 3e multiclassing and there were no easy answers, and they were willing to accept major changes to get that fixed too.

4e could have been a 3e PHB in lipstick and it still would have had the best sales in the first couple of weeks of any D&D product in history. The time was totally right. Only incredibly terrible design could have fucked that up.

Anyone who had their name attached to 4e at launch should be pariah in the industry. It is a proven fact that their actual writing and design skills sank the leader of the industry.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

K wrote:When they say people don't like 4e because it's too balanced, I feel like it's someone saying "women don't like me because my dick is too big and I'm too rich and handsome."

It's a symptom of profound self-delusion OR lack of insight about people bordering on autism OR outright marketing lie. Maybe all three.
It seems like the 4e team just didn't have any clue what people meant by "balance".
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack