I waste it with my crossbow! Until the end of time!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Chamomile wrote:To bring this around to the original point.

If you pick up a bow and you've never used it before, you probably won't be able to actually hit anything with it unless it's already really close. If you pick up a sword and you've never used it before, you won't be at all a match for a master swordsman, but you will be able to actually hit your enemy.
I've stabbed Olympic fencers in the back. Skill is just one variable in the "winning a fight with a sword" equation, even with master swordsmen.

I honestly think characters would be better off without weapon-specific abilities, both from a design perspective and a realism one.
Last edited by K on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

First of all, the whole model of D&D combat is massively unrealistic. In the real world, bows were a weapon used by groups and fired in vollies. Modern bow hunters (with modern eqipment) hunt deer around 50-75 feet (up to 25 yards). (Most hunters use range finders to get accurtate shots up to 40 yards.)

So it took a lot of skill to use a longbow in mass vollies. Ironically it took no skill whatsoever to use a crossbow (only strength to pull back / crank the crossbow back to position). This was why the Catholic Church banned the use of crossbows on anyone but non christians. (It also could easily penetrate simple armor allowing the puny peasant to kill a knight, one of the most grevious crimes of medieval warfare in the age of chivalery.) It is also interesting to point out that the crossbow has a flatter trajectory.

Likewise one can get into interesting arguments about swords. Like bows, we often look at the ultra modern weapons and extract information to weapons that had very little of the properties of modern designs. They were not as sharp as modern swords. They had to crash through armor (once get into the real age of swords we get into the age of knights and only a knight fights a knight; peasents aren't allowed to use swords) and as a result mass is almost as important as sharpness. The result is that the heavier the weapon the more you are open to a counterstrike.

Once knighthood collapsed and armor with it, weapons quickly went to speed and sharpness. The small sword and the longer rapier became the weapon of choice, until the tri angled epee was developed only because a triangular wound is harder to close than just a slash or a thin wound.

None of this translates to D&D. Literally none of it.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Actually, having shot a couple of bows in my life, given a quality bow and 10 minutes' worth of practice, I could probably shoot a man who was rushing at me once he was at near point-blank range, and thus unable to dodge the shot effectively. However, picking up a sword and swinging it around for two hours would not prepare me for the riposting and counter-attacking of my opponent, which are built into his muscle memory from hundreds, possibly thousands of repetitions. Archery is a very one-sided activity; your skill is far more important than theirs, but swordfighting (be it fencing or otherwise) is influenced a lot more by the skill of your opponent.
FatCatAttack
NPC

Post by FatCatAttack »

It seems to me any game worth anything should be able to support a generalist character. Link from Legend of Zelda should be something that can be replicated and be viable. A sword and board character, not necessarily with a lot of armor, who can also shoot/throw things when he needs too.

I remember seeing some attempts at making Link a long time ago on 4E and remember them as being not very good.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Link works in Zelda because it's a one-character party. A party with multiple heroes is going to need different people to fill different functions in order to make the choices of each matter. If everyone were generalized, jack-of-all-trades types, then individual character distinctions would not exist and the power of the party would increase linearly based on the number of PCs, and thus chargen decisions are either meaningless or non-existent, so you're no longer playing a role-playing game, but a tactical battle/light exploration game (which Legend of Zelda is).

That being said, a lightly-armored sword-and-board character with reasonable ranged ability is probably a perfectly doable concept, he'll just suffer from the weaknesses that plague every Vanilla Action Hero.
Last edited by Stubbazubba on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

FatCatAttack wrote:It seems to me any game worth anything should be able to support a generalist character. Link from Legend of Zelda should be something that can be replicated and be viable. A sword and board character, not necessarily with a lot of armor, who can also shoot/throw things when he needs too.

I remember seeing some attempts at making Link a long time ago on 4E and remember them as being not very good.
Honestly, Link is a terrible idea for a RPG hero and in "party" rpg land he should be pretty well fail.

Basically in a group RPG you can't have 5th Ranger characters. Its results in total system breakdown. It makes hte whole game unplayable.

RPGs that have any hope of working HAVE to be Voltron/A-team/Mission impossible/Star Trek Crew type games.

They can be 3, or 4, or 5 or even 6 man bands or whatever, but they cannot have generalist characters be viable. 5th Rangers whose the whole sytem.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Stubbazubba wrote:That being said, a lightly-armored sword-and-board character with reasonable ranged ability is probably a perfectly doable concept, he'll just suffer from the weaknesses that plague every Vanilla Action Hero.
Back in 1st edition they used to call these types of characters:
Thief
Ranger
Assassin
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

souran wrote: Basically in a group RPG you can't have 5th Ranger characters. Its results in total system breakdown. It makes hte whole game unplayable.
...I'm sorry, do you mean Sixth Ranger, like the trope? Or is 5th Ranger some other term that I'm not familiar with? I'm genuinely curious.
SirDario
NPC

Post by SirDario »

tzor wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:That being said, a lightly-armored sword-and-board character with reasonable ranged ability is probably a perfectly doable concept, he'll just suffer from the weaknesses that plague every Vanilla Action Hero.
Back in 1st edition they used to call these types of characters:
Thief
Ranger
Assassin
Does the 1st edition Ranger used a Crossbow or a Longbow?
I just wonder what kind of weapon did it uses because in some games Rangers uses a bow and not rifle as what I had known to be used.
Vindicator wrote:Already 25 firearms and 49 rounds of ammunition have been handed in, as well as 48 other weapons including a deadly cross bow.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

tzor wrote: So it took a lot of skill to use a longbow in mass vollies. Ironically it took no skill whatsoever to use a crossbow (only strength to pull back / crank the crossbow back to position). This was why the Catholic Church banned the use of crossbows on anyone but non christians. (It also could easily penetrate simple armor allowing the puny peasant to kill a knight,
This never ceases to be hilarious, considering that not only the puny peasant could not ever afford a crossbow, and not only plate armor (not chainmail, though) offered very high degree of protection against crossbows, it is quite easy to check that any crossbowmen who ever accomplished something on medieval battlefields were highly paid and trained career soldiers (often foreign mercenaries from places where the appropriate martial tradition existed).

Anyway, real-life ways of fighting just in general have little to do with a game where you're supposed to slice and dice tyrannosauruses head-on not even halfway into the levels range.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

FatR wrote:
tzor wrote: So it took a lot of skill to use a longbow in mass vollies. Ironically it took no skill whatsoever to use a crossbow (only strength to pull back / crank the crossbow back to position). This was why the Catholic Church banned the use of crossbows on anyone but non christians. (It also could easily penetrate simple armor allowing the puny peasant to kill a knight,
This never ceases to be hilarious, considering that not only the puny peasant could not ever afford a crossbow, and not only plate armor (not chainmail, though) offered very high degree of protection against crossbows, it is quite easy to check that any crossbowmen who ever accomplished something on medieval battlefields were highly paid and trained career soldiers (often foreign mercenaries from places where the appropriate martial tradition existed).
You raise a valid point but you have your technology level massively off. The Catholic Church actually banned crossbows in the 12th century; armor wasn't all that fantastic back then (the Second Lateran Council in 1139 to be exact).

Here is a good guide to the armor of the 12th century.
During the earlier Crusades plate armour was unknown, the warrior depending entirely on his hauberk or sleeved coat of chain-mail which reached from his neck to his knees, with leggings or stockings also of chain-mail.

The head was also protected with a kind of hood of mail which was sometimes attached to, or formed part of the hauberk when the 'pot' helmet or cap was not used. A steel cap with a bar descending over the nose, to protect the face, was also provided with a chainmail covering to the neck and sides of the face.
And we were not talking about the pesents, we are talking about the infantry. It would be many centuries before the prohibition of non knights being legally allowed to attack knights would be lifted.
'The famous English longbows used at Crécy and Poitiers with so much effect, in the fourteenth century, were of little importance in the time of Richard Coeur de Lion, but the crossbow [ external: chronology of the crossbow ] was perhaps the most important weapon of his period. Richard was himself an adept in its use, and his death by a well aimed quarrel from the walls of the Château de Chaluz possibly shows that chain mail was hardly proof against what Anna Comnena calls 'the diabolical device' of the arbalest.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

Ice9 wrote:What should happen when a Fire Mage runs into an Asbestos Golem?
He wins. But a few levels later he'll get diagnosed with magical cancer...
tzor wrote:The small sword and the longer rapier became the weapon of choice, until the tri angled epee was developed only because a triangular wound is harder to close than just a slash or a thin wound.
Wasn't the epee developed to counter early renaissance armor, which was pretty advanced by then ('gothic plate mail', and such)? Because most slashing weapons weren't as effective as a tri-angled iron sharpened stick when used against a thick sheet of hardened metal...
My knowledge in medieval/renaissance weaponry is a bit rusty. I'm not really sure, but it makes as much sense as developing sharp, pointed long blades, which were also used before gunpowder made armor mostly obsolete, and fencing weapons came into the spotlight.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"The only way to keep them in line is to bury them in a row..."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

souran wrote: Honestly, Link is a terrible idea for a RPG hero and in "party" rpg land he should be pretty well fail.

Basically in a group RPG you can't have 5th Ranger characters. Its results in total system breakdown. It makes hte whole game unplayable.

RPGs that have any hope of working HAVE to be Voltron/A-team/Mission impossible/Star Trek Crew type games.

They can be 3, or 4, or 5 or even 6 man bands or whatever, but they cannot have generalist characters be viable. 5th Rangers whose the whole sytem.
unless...

Kot wrote: Wasn't the epee developed to counter early renaissance armor, which was pretty advanced by then ('gothic plate mail', and such)? Because most slashing weapons weren't as effective as a tri-angled iron sharpened stick when used against a thick sheet of hardened metal...
My knowledge in medieval/renaissance weaponry is a bit rusty. I'm not really sure, but it makes as much sense as developing sharp, pointed long blades, which were also used before gunpowder made armor mostly obsolete, and fencing weapons came into the spotlight.
Nah, the Epee is something for court fops to kill each other with.

You're thinking of the estoc, which is something like a big metal rod with a pointy end and a sword hilt.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

OgreBattle wrote:
souran wrote:
Honestly, Link is a terrible idea for a RPG hero and in "party" rpg land he should be pretty well fail.

They can be 3, or 4, or 5 or even 6 man bands or whatever, but they cannot have generalist characters be viable. 5th Rangers whose the whole sytem
unless...
[image]
Kot wrote: Wasn't the epee developed to counter early renaissance armor, which was pretty advanced by then ('gothic plate mail', and such)? Because most slashing weapons weren't as effective as a tri-angled iron sharpened stick when used against a thick sheet of hardened metal...
Nah, the Epee is something for court fops to kill each other with.

You're thinking of the estoc, which is something like a big metal rod with a pointy end and a sword hilt.
That was a really fun game. I would be willing to run/play in a game where everyone had pretty much the same capabilities, but since I also tend to want to put the PCs in command of groups of individuals each roughly as powerful as them in some of my games, I expect I may be a statistical outlier.

I do understand the appeal of each PC having something unique and vaguely important about them, but it's also nice when the PCs as a group can do specific interesting stuff without any individuals lagging behind.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

OgreBattle wrote:Nah, the Epee is something for court fops to kill each other with.

Oh. I knew I was missing something. Language barrier, damn it...
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

OgreBattle wrote:Nah, the Epee is something for court fops to kill each other with.
Empasis on the "kill." The epee had a special design to create a three fold scar whcih didn't close the same way a slit scar would resulting in extensive bleeding if not immediately treated.

But once again, we encounter the fallicy of the fall of armor. Guns did not cause the fall of armor. Most very well designed armor was proof against most shots of the day. Armor declined for one simple reason, the decline of the "knight" as a military officer. The military officer retained his position on horseback but became a more mobile force. The breaking of the old probition of only a knight (officer) could attack a knight (officer) meant that mobility was vital on the battlefield.

Full armor for officer and horse was simply costing too much in mobility.

This meant that it was easier to shoot the horse from under the officer.

So the officer really needed mobility.

By the time you get to the 18th century, the "armor" of an officer was a symbolic aronment worn around the neck.
Last edited by tzor on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Armour is still used when a class of soldiers are rich and relatively few in number, and not used when soldiers are poor and great in number. Always was, always will be. It's very expensive stuff.

Officers stopped wearing armour when the first sons of the nobility found something better to do with their time than fight wars, like play in the growing commerce and venture capitalism markets. Heavy cav had been outpacing footmen for centuries by the simple measure of using spare mounts. The old thing about not attacking knights was so they could be captured and ransomed. They were in the front lines and well armoured so they could try and capture some opposed money men. Once there was better ways to strike your fortune, they did those instead.

What Tzor says about later officers needing mobility isn't true. They sat on a hilltop behind their entire army and sent forward runners, far out of range of enemy guns. As the guns got better range, so they sat ever further back from the lines, moving from runners to semaphores, telephones, radio, and now satellite links to their heavily armoured steel and concrete bunkers.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

tzor wrote: But once again, we encounter the fallicy of the fall of armor. Guns did not cause the fall of armor. Most very well designed armor was proof against most shots of the day.
Lolno. Muskets blew through any armor a normal man could reasonably wear. More importantly, arquebuses and hand pistols did the same to all but the best armor, and often stunned the victim when they didn't.
tzor wrote: Armor declined for one simple reason, the decline of the "knight" as a military officer. The military officer retained his position on horseback but became a more mobile force. The breaking of the old probition of only a knight (officer) could attack a knight (officer) meant that mobility was vital on the battlefield.
It is impossible to break something that never ever existed. The reasons for decline of armor, in no particular order of importance were:

1)Availability of relatively cheap hand pistols allowed a poor nobleman with poor equipment riding on a fleabag to have a fighting chance against a well-off nobleman lancer with best-grade armor on an expensive destrier, if only by shooting the latter's horse a second before getting impaled. This allowed to raise much more cheap and numerous cavalry, which also was generally more useful outside of major battles (which were exceptional events in warfare).
2)Defense in general lost to offense (see above). It is notable, that on the outskirts of Europe where commonly encountered firearms were less advanced, armored (if not quite to the standards of 15-16th century western-european knights) lancers survived for almost a century after falling out of use in more advanced countries.
3)Massive increase in army numbers and general shift towards quantity over quality, particularly noticeable during 17th century, which made armoring everyone, even partially, increasingly economically unfeasible. And this was only possible because firearms (to lesser extent, wide adoption of long pike) greatly simplified requirements for training and mental conditioning of soliders.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

tzor wrote: And we were not talking about the pesents, we are talking about the infantry. It would be many centuries before the prohibition of non knights being legally allowed to attack knights would be lifted.
This prohibition did not exist. It's a myth. I dare you to find an evidence of it in any of the famous battles of 12th, 13th or 14th century. Fighting power of knight cavalry, in combination with its standard archer (meaning here missile-using troops in general) support, was just sufficiently overwhelming to dominate most battlefields. With the knight cavalry obviously being the more important component, to the point when superiority in it decided battles despite severe overall numerical inferiority, like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bouvines

(For those too lazy to read the link, you can see there several examples of infantry putting an organized fight against knights and ultimately losing too. And this is considered the iconic major battle of high medieval period.)
tzor wrote: chronology of the crossbow ] was perhaps the most important weapon of his period. Richard was himself an adept in its use, and his death by a well aimed quarrel from the walls of the Château de Chaluz possibly shows that chain mail was hardly proof against what Anna Comnena calls 'the diabolical device' of the arbalest.
Correct, but here we see use of crossbows by noblemen themselves, or their retinues, as in the case of Richard's death.
Last edited by FatR on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

We were talking early Renaissance here. The age of hand cannons and simple artilery, like bombards. Gunpowder weapons were a bit underdeveloped, and armor still counted.

As for the officers&mobility, Tzor does have a point. The medieval/early Renaissance officer was something different. More of an overseer/figurehead/morale keeper. Most of them were roving around the lines before battle, and during the battle they were the only indication of where the center of a unit was (and by means of banners carried by wardens accompanying the officer, the only way to discern units from afar).
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I have never heard of anything like "only knights are allowed to attack knights". Given how many knights were massacred by infantry in some battles like Agincourt, Morgarten, Sempach, and the three last battle of Charles the Bold of Burgundy, I am very much inclined to doubt there ever was such a thing.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Gentlemen's agreements like that very rarely survive a major, pitched war. I'll believe only if given very solid evidence.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

But the Four Sword Links weren't normal Giant Bag of Tricks Master of All Trades Links. They were just sword and board fighters who could only carry a single extra gimmick item/weapon at a time, making them more of a traditional D&D party set up than anything else. (ignoring the part where they get to exchange out their one gimmick from time to time)
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Lolno. Muskets blew through any armor a normal man could reasonably wear. More importantly, arquebuses and hand pistols did the same to all but the best armor, and often stunned the victim when they didn't.
WTF? The munition plate that armies got later on often failed because it was rapidly produced one-size-fits-all garbage, but it would have still stopped a musket shot at 30' or so long after everyone abandoned armouring their troops. The top quality armours were routinely proofed against musket fire at point blank, but the sort of rich men who could afford it weren't routinely in the army any more.

Stun? Yeh, so did a lance, or a big sword, a halberd, a mace, or all sorts. Armour isn't really a yes/no thing IRL, that's just a convenient D&D abstraction that happens to produce better results than all the others in most cases (until you hit cannon and fireballs, where saving throws work better).
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

Example: The battle of Vienna, where the Polish army massacred the Turkish(?) invaders. Their elite cavalry, Husaria, was armored. Pretty heavy: breastplate+helmet+arm/leg plate armor+chain. And they were fighting in the age of cannons and firearms. Well, the fact that they mostly fought enemies from the east who didn't rely on gunpowder that much probably helped...