Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Re: The Sage speaks on Vorpal vs Fortification

Post by Rob_Knotts »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1186974796[/unixtime]]I imagine there are the few, the proud.
The conceited, the self-important:biggrin:

What I remember most about my time on the WotC boards is as much as anthing else, that experience helped established my overall disgust for every edition of D&D, past and present.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Did they just spend a hundred posts arguing about Negates vs Immune (which are never described as being different in any D&D book)?

Argh. And none of us are there to say that while the Sage was oft wrong... He's actually got a pretty good line going here?

I mean, flavor wise you probably want Fortify to block Vorpal. But really, it doesn't say 'And it stops special effects that result on a roll of twenty' does it?

Argh.

Stupid arguments on both sides. ;-; 'Sage must be right!' 'Negate means something different!'

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yes, they seriously did just spend a hundred odd posts arguing that. This makes baby Raptor Jesus cry.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1187053693[/unixtime]]Yes, they seriously did just spend a hundred odd posts arguing that. This makes baby Raptor Jesus cry.

It is right up there with "What makes the fighter sub-par?" thread.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.ph ... br][br]The last few pages are really painful.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Vorpal Sword thing hurt my head. If you're immune to a critical hit, the critical hit happens, and the critical does nothing to you. So additional things that trigger on a critical hit (such as fire damage, heads exploding, or additional attacks) still happen. If you Negate a critical hit, then the critical hit itself did not happen. Then triggered events don't go off.

The key issue here is not the Andy Collins ruled (correctly) that Vorpal Swords were trumped by Fortification Armors and then changed his mind on extremely flimsy pretense. The key issue is that Andy Collins actually fvcking [i[noticed[/i] that he over-nerfed Vorpal Swords in the rewrite so hard that they are unusable. And he actually noticed that this was a problem, and he's trying to dig himself out of the hole without actually admitting that the problem is the entire 3.5 DMG rewrite!

He changed the rules so that Vorpal Swords aren't worth having on he grounds that the only high level builds you ever saw that bothered swinging swords at all were based upon swinging crit-enhanced vorpal swords at people and he wanted people to swing axes and do damage instead. Well boo-fucking-hoo! It turns out that the reason people did that is because you can't possibly hope to accomplish jack or shit at 17th level against an adventuring party of evil Storm Giants with he pissant damage you do out of a fucking axe! All nerfing the only viable high level Fighter build did was make there not be any viable high level Fighter Builds. I could have told you that. In fact, I did.

Aargh. Stalth nerfs and "reinterpretations" piss me off.

---

Leress wrote:
The last few pages are really painful.

Hellz yeah they are. What the hell man? Gauntlets? What the hell is that supposed to prove? That the Fighter can beat some opponents if he drinks the right potions? Who would have thought?

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1187062237[/unixtime]]
He changed the rules so that Vorpal Swords aren't worth having on he grounds that the only high level builds you ever saw that bothered swinging swords at all were based upon swinging crit-enhanced vorpal swords at people and he wanted people to swing axes and do damage instead. Well boo-fucking-hoo! It turns out that the reason people did that is because you can't possibly hope to accomplish jack or shit at 17th level against an adventuring party of evil Storm Giants with he pissant damage you do out of a fucking axe! All nerfing the only viable high level Fighter build did was make there not be any viable high level Fighter Builds. I could have told you that. In fact, I did.

I never really though the problem was the 3.5 DMG rewrite, I always thought the problem was that high level combat was so broken to begin wtih. Rocket launcher tag isn't feasable when you're talking about high level beings.

I mean fuck, your DM takes an hour or two per NPC at those levels. They should not drop in one shot. Fighting a big high level opponent should be a drawn out fight. It's one of the reasons nobody bothers with high level now. Way too much prep work for a 1-2 round fight.

Survivability of an NPC has to be proportional to the work you put into making that NPC. Otherwise the game isn't even playable.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, but Frank, none of the things say 'on a crit' anymore, they say 'when you roll a twenty' instead - which means you can't buff them by buffing your crit rate, either.

Which seems sorta okay, if you're into that sorta thing. But it does mean that crit immunity and negation no longer apply to the effects, which is a reasonable way around it.

But the bigger problem is that 'damage' is useless when the wizard is slinging area effect save or die spells.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1187072003[/unixtime]]
But the bigger problem is that 'damage' is useless when the wizard is slinging area effect save or die spells.

Or summoning other creatures to sling area effect SoDs for him, because he really is that lazy.

Yeah, the fighter could vorpalize his sword, shield, other sword, armour spikes, armour, boots, mustache and crotch, and it'd still do absolute jack. And it all could have been avoided if they made fighters useful past level 3.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

To be honest, I thought the whole problem started when they removed "sharpness" out of the system. Sharpness was applied to other limbs but also included the head.

Vorpal really is a legacy of the old 1E days where rare random death was common. It seems out of place in 3E and it seems even more out of place as a common weapon enhancement.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1187093423[/unixtime]]Vorpal really is a legacy of the old 1E days where rare random death was common. It seems out of place in 3E and it seems even more out of place as a common weapon enhancement.
Yeah. The Vorpal enchantment is utterly horrible in a bunch of different ways. I used it as an example that explored some of the horrible-ness that often gets overlooked because of the more obvious sucking:

bitnine wrote:The Vorpal Example

First off, this is mainly to examine the resource features that vorpal excellently represents - not to evaluate vorpal's effectiveness, or lack thereof. Actually, I will come to that later. But it is a great way to think about situational usefulness and its features and impact. I have heard from some DMs who fudged things so that their 'boss' encounter didn't end straight off from a vorpal hit - or they handed out less experience from a quickly ended fight in this manner. That's pretty rough, and here's a chunk of why:

That vorpal sword doesn't really provide a benefit so much as shift things. Every fight in which the vorpal feature did not activate was a little bit tougher. For the purposes of that encounter, your character was a +5 enchantment in the hole (or the wealth value thereof). You got hurt a little more, your enemies had a better chance of escaping, maybe a party member died - but its clear for the purposes of those encounters you would have been better served by at least 70,000 effectively allocated gp . I would imagine that you didn't get additional experience points for all of those battles, either. (You might as well count in here all the times that the vorpal enchantment activated when it didn't make a difference, either.)

So in a flash the vorpal ability expends in a nova all of its accrued benefit that is has gained by leeching your effectiveness over the course of the battles where it sucked. It explodes with the pent-up energy of a dozen battles of a +5 enchantment doing nothing productive. And maybe you move the game along a little more that session or get to get home a little earlier or somesuch.

I dunno, but it seems like this is a real bad deal. I mean, as a DM, encouraging randomly applying novas that can trivialize certain encounters doesn't seem particularly fun or good for game flow, and that's outside a balance concern. I mean, yeah, it can happen and a good DM can deal, but I dunno why you'd want to encourage it like that. And as a player, vorpal usually sorta sucks walnuts straight out of the shell. (I'm sure you can finesse a build that's dedicated to making 50 attacks for -1 damage to trigger the ability, but hows about discounting that as de minimis.) Plus I figure that a fight over so quickly might well have the DM insert a new encounter and/or retcon down the challenge of the old one. Ow - I do understand some of that in keeping the game running, but ain't it a bitch to get double slapped? I mean, I actually paid in a few different ways for a vorpal sword that isn't really worth it, and even when it finally worked it didn't really.

Vorpal is near the high end of situational abilities, with the added feature of having its situational usefulness be random. Its problems can be seen reflected in many others of its ilk to a much lesser extent. And its a great basis for comparison. While I think there probably are some situationally applying benefits that work, its handy to be able to look at many such abilities and realize that they are worse than vorpal. At least then you can realize that heavy cases shouldn't take up much feature space on a class level.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... [br]Scroll down to the game rule information. Highlight:
wrote:Life Points (Su): A person has only so many days to live on this world. Once their time among the living is up, nothing can stop the soul from moving on to the afterlife. A bio-mage can spend their remaining time of life in the future to produce magical effects today. This is done by using Life Points.

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Is that really a class that lets you commit suicide for power?

-Crissa
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

For serious it is! At level 20, you get the ability to EXPLODE AND DIE.

Edit! It may not have been clear that by "EXPLODE AND DIE" I actually meant "EXPLODE AND DIE":
wrote:Bio-Bomb (Sp): At 20th level, a bio-mage has learned to use the energy within him to detonate himself in a destructive & lethal explosion. As a standard action, a bio-mage can spend his entire remaining LP to release a deadly blast, centered on his own body. This attack deals damage to all within the blast radius equal to his remaining LP divided by 100. All of those caught within the explosion can make a successful Reflex save (DC15) for half damage. The size of this explosive effect is a 30’ radius, centered on the bio-mage. This attack is always fatal to the bio-mage, whose body is completely disintegrated, leaving absolutely no trace remaining. Since the body is utterly destroyed & completely spent of LP, resurrection of any sort is impossible.

RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Yeah, it's apparently permanent death too.. lol. That sucks.

I could see at 20th level if it's just normal death, because at that level, nobody cares and you can just go resurrect him. Dying is commonplace.

But permanent death? What the hell?
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Reincarnation would work fine.
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

Gets better. Apparently having the EXPLODE AND DIE! power generally makes you harder to kill:
Regeneration [Special] [Epic]
• You regain some of the LP that you have lost.
• Prerequisite: Bio-mage only, Bio-Bomb ability
• Benefit: After resting for a full day, you can regain your class level × your Constitution modifier. This can be done as often as you wish, but it must be a full day’s rest. You may engage in light, non-strenuous travel or activity, but any combat or spellcasting prevents you from regaining LP that day. If you undergo complete bed rest (doing nothing for an entire day), you recover LP equal to (1.5 × your class level × your Constitution bonus, minimum 1). You cannot gain more LP than you started with at 1st level (your starting Constitution score × 5,000).
Is it just me or does Bio-Bomb seem like it would be perfect "tell the DM/group to fuck off and die" power when a player gets frustrated with the game?

And didn't WoW do this as an April Fool's joke?
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

What Blizzard puts out as a joke, D&D players invent for real.

What the fuck?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

I gotta admit, I'd really like the chance to play a Pandaren...
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1187385664[/unixtime]]What Blizzard puts out as a joke, D&D players invent for real.

What the fuck?

No, no. The Blizzard version was an inherent abililty given to all members of the race, not a level 20 capstone ability, and so was completely overpowered. The biomage's ability isn't nearly so abusable. :rolleyes:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PS: People who are quoting from Wizards sites... They don't use UTF-8. So I don't have an effing clue what the characters are that are thrown into the text sometimes. Please replace whatever symbols they use with lower 128 symbols from your keyboard, if possible...

"×" is what? It's used like four times in the Regeneration text Rob quoted.

-Crissa
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

It really seems more useful as a "Shapechange to Phoenix, explode and don't care." thing. Or with Magic Jar. Or both.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1187389457[/unixtime]]

"×" is what? It's used like four times in the Regeneration text Rob quoted.

It's an "x". As in "multiplied by".

RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

I like the fact that the max LP is 5000 x con score, that alone is great.

Talk about arbitrarily huge numbers for no point...
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

* means 'multiplied' and that wasn't it. It wasn't even �E or �– or �~ from upper 128 (Latin-1 Supplement).

Grr.

-Crissa
Voss
Prince

Chaotic means you can't plan!

Post by Voss »