Extinct Species

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Extinct Species

Post by Ancient History »

If you could clone one extinct species, and bring them back Jurassic Park-style, which would it be and why?

T-Rex? Dodo birds? Those eight-ton manatees? Neanderthals?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Smilodon fatalus and Utahraptor, both for exactly the same reason.

I wish to ride one.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well whoever got that wish most recently apparently used it on the Land Lobster
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Hobbits to save us from the Dark Lord Sauron.

Nah. Some manner of ridiculously huge arthropod to keep in my house and fuel guest's nightmares. Perhaps a two-foot long scorpion.

A 12-meter crocodile might be fun to unleash upon the world in all its horrific over-sized glory.

I also concur with Prak_Anima's Utahraptor, as it's probably the closest thing to Jurassic Park velociraptors you will actually find.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

DSMatticus wrote:I also concur with Prak_Anima's Utahraptor, as it's probably the closest thing to Jurassic Park velociraptors you will actually find.
Actually, that would be Deinonychus, closer in size to the JP velociraptors, and still a dromeaosaur. Also, apparently, they are considered velociraptors in some taxonomies, which Chricton actually was aware of. Huh.

They are, unfortunately, not large enough to ride.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Prak wrote:Actually, that would be Deinonychus, closer in size to the JP velociraptors, and still a dromeaosaur.
Everybody says that, but I don't buy it. Deinonychus stares you in the belly-button or the sternum, maybe. The Jurassic Park velociraptors can stare you in the eyes.

I think the utahraptor is a closer resemblance (a little too large) to what's in the Jurassic Park movies, even though it's taxonomically further.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Eh, fair. The biggest utahraptor discovered has a hip height equal to a man, which suggests that the average utahraptor was probably smaller.
note: the largest specimen ever described is closer in height to a horse, or comparable to a grizzly bear, wiki so helpfully points out.

Also, I would point out that they are possibly the best thing to have ever come out of Utah, and should I ever have necromantic powers, I want to raise all remaining utahraptor fossils and set them loose on the mormons.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Dire Wombats. My girlfriend would be so delighted.

(Alternatively, from a "useful" perspective, Shtella's Sea Cow, which upon discovery was described as being delicious and full of meat... yeah, extinction followed rapidly with a description like that. If brought back and farmed, that'd be kind of handy.)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Discovered, giant marine mammal. Further examination determines them to be delicious and full of meat."

Yep. That's humans for you.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Stromatolite!

Several reasons for this.

First and foremost, an awesome name. Second, Out of most of the pre-cambrian explosion life forms, they always sounded coolest. Three, I just want giant faux-rocks on all beaches.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak_Anima wrote:"Discovered, giant marine mammal. Further examination determines them to be delicious and full of meat."

Yep. That's humans for you.
Oh, that's nothing compared to one species of giant turtle that:
A) Was not afraid of humans (had no natural predators in its area)
B) Was delicious and large
C) Contained basically fresh water

It took so long to give it a scientific name because people were too busy eating them. Even Darwin described them by taste, comparing them to beef, chicken, fish, lamb and butter, and saying how the turtle was better than all of them.

They're not extinct, but very endangered. I'm not sure if all species are that tasty, presumably more research is needed.

"Um, Chelonia..."
"Oh shut up with your Latin and just eat the damn thing!"
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:Oh, that's nothing compared to one species of giant turtle that:
A) Was not afraid of humans (had no natural predators in its area)
B) Was delicious and large
C) Contained basically fresh water
Going into D&D game. Totally going into D&D game. If I were in such a game, I'd learn how to [Call] them as soon as possible. And I'd just call them dinner, to be honest.

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Cynic wrote:Stromatolite!

Ur, um they aren't actually extinct today.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun May 13, 2012 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Cynic wrote:Stromatolite!

Ur, um they aren't actually extinct today.

Well... goal accomplished!

Most of my knowledge about evolution and extinct species has only come about quite recently. One from a sudden interest in evolution itself. I haven't gotten around to much reading on the subject so I'm still in the dark when it comes to knowing more than the very basic principles. The other way I've gotten most of my info has been from reading/watching books/shows about the subject with my kid.

Ahh, looking back at what I've been reading with my daughter, it looks like the Stromatolites came up before the pre-cambrian explosion. I just assumed that they also went extinct. I also assumed that the current Strromatolites were of a very different strain. I seem to have been quite wrong. Thank you for correcting me.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Does it have to be an animal?

Personally, I'd like to bring back that Mediterranean birth control weed. Get a biomechanical engineering lab to make it suitable for a wide variety of soils, get that shit spread around good and plenty around the planet.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Microraptors. Having a little bird/lizard thing as a pet sounds fun.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Taishan
Apprentice

Post by Taishan »

I'd want two: the first organism that endocytosed the precursor to the mitochondria, and the organism that was the precursor to the mitochondria. Since that was the start of all eukaryotic life on earth, I think it would be wicked fun to play with it.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Wouldn't a combination of revivals be the best way to go. A small population that introduces more Oxygen into the world, a small sample that brings in more CO2, and another that brings in some other vital component. If we can somehow bring about a group of species to life that could help against climate change (is this possible?) then that would be cool. Of course, I'm talking out of my ass since I don't even know if any such combination exists or if it's even feasible. Feasible in that if we resurrected them what would be the necessary next steps to create a stable environment to bring about the above combination.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Cynic wrote:Wouldn't a combination of revivals be the best way to go. A small population that introduces more Oxygen into the world, a small sample that brings in more CO2, and another that brings in some other vital component.
We have that already. you might have heard of them...

O2

CO2

"Free" nitrogen
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I was just thinking of a new infusion of some sort is all.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

I want me some mini mammoth
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Blasted wrote:I want me some mini mammoth
This.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:I was just thinking of a new infusion of some sort is all.
Honestly, if we start bringing back extinct species, it'll be through genetic engineering, and at that point we can just engineer bacteria that convert methane and CHCs into oxygen.

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

@Land Lobster, cool.

Me? I'd be bringing back about a million specimens at hundred generation intervals to trace back the evolution of man to earlier times. Technically, each should be the same species as a few either side of it, so it's kinda like one big species.

Not exactly a discovery, but it would totally mindfuck the fundies, which is always good.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Magrencules, an herb that Albertus Magnus claimed was an ingredient in Fire Resistance potions.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.