Crypts of Chaos

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Okay, fuck it. I try to pull the levers. I'd like to apologize in advance if we all die.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Left or right? They're currently both in the up position.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Olaf lobs his torch into the oil and begins to retreat. Seeing that the eastern hallway is actually fairly crowded, he opts to move North. His pace is very slow, since he both Searches for traps in the Northern corridor and shoots glances behind him to keep aware of the situation back in Room 00.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Isn't Archibald in the room with the oil?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Aracanis looks over at the flaming woman, his incredulous gaze following her as she charges. "Ok, I like that one." he says to no one in particular, "even if she did just charge into my line of fire..."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Red_Rob wrote:Isn't Archibald in the room with the oil?
{Should be at least 10 feet away from the fire if he is by the southern levers.}
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

The right lever, that is.
Last edited by Korgan0 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The right lever descends with a heavy thunk. With a rumble, of hidden machinery, the south wall and a section of the floor on which Archibald stands retracts and rotates, carrying the wizard out of sight, and then slides back. The wall to the south bears two iron levers, both in the up position.

The torch catches the puddle of oil and sets to light. The corpses sprayed with oil catch alight, hair and clothing blackening and burning, setting up nasty palls of smoke - not enough to impede invisibility, but enough to slightly blacken the bottom of the cube with soot.

Six feet of the cube is not visible, with no sign of stopping. It has about four feet to go 'til it hits the floor.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

[ooc]I'm travelling for most of the rest of today, but I should have intermittent internet access. Can you PM me what I see on the other side of the door?[/ooc]
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Olaf continues his cautious advance to the north, hoping to put distance between the cube and himself.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ten feet down the northern corridor the light is dim, but the walls are covered with carvings, layers on layers, the oldest carvings almost completely eclipse by later etchings. Ahead of you, the tunnel continues on into darkness for some unguessable distance.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Olaf stops, Listens carefully, and then lights his bullseye lantern. He aims it straight ahead, held forward far enough to prevent much light falling on his own body.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The lantern sheds its light down the hallway, burning back the shadows. You can see clearly ahead of you sixty feet, and then light seems to dim again. You estimate the distance by counting the length of the floor slabs, and give up after a hundred. At the very edge of the lantern's light, from where you stand, the corridor continues farther into darkness.

Olaf strains his ears but can hear nothing above the din behind him.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Having relocated to an area with no obvious traps or other threats in the immediate vicinity, Olaf feels reasonably safe. The cube has more appetizing targets to pursue nearby itself. Olaf pauses, observing events in Room 00 as he tries to develop a coherent plan.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

you can basically assume that, at least so long as the ooze is coming out of the roof, Aracanis is going to be shooting once each turn making pithy remarks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

"By the Red Dragon! That's an ooze?" Cadwyn shouts. He glances back over his shoulder at the three behind him, the young man and the burning woman and the metal man. The dwarf had been beyond his power to save. All Cadwyn could offer was the mercy of a quick death. But these three he would protect, even though his every instinct screamed to run.

Barking another order at his hound, Cadwyn points to the north corridor. The dog hesitates, then bounds off, past the fire and smoke.

ooc: Terrwyn will guard Olaf in the north corridor; hopefully that'll keep both of them out of trouble.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Kai shouts "Master Archibald! Can you hear me?"

Listening for a response, and with his weapons at the ready he waits to see what the thing does once it reaches the ground.
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The wall rotates again, carrying Archibald with it.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Hello, everyone!" Archibald seems different, somehow, with a slightly crazed look in his eyes. He's also wearing a headband and carrying a staff that were definitely not there before. He shakes the staff vigorously at the creature while yelling "Work, dammit!"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Toad of Wisdom at the top of the staff glows, and tiny arcs of power light up the runes along its length, culminating in an explosive flash of lightning arcing toward the cube. With a tremendous flop, the boiling remains of the massive thing drops down on the floor. The acid immediately dissolves the organic remains of the dead dwarf, and the small brownish tied of burned ooze fizzes and eats away at the rest of the dead flesh for a moment before apparently growing inert.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well. That was unexpected. Afternoon, everyone! Did you miss me?"
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Also, I do believe that axe up there is magical, if one of you chappies wouldn't mind getting it somehow.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Kai blinks a few times, opens and closes his mouth, and looks from Archibald to the toad staff and back again a few times.

"What... How... You... What just happened?"
Last edited by Red_Rob on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Deck of Many Things, old boy. I always thought it was a legend perpetrated by shiftless students with nothing more to do except scribble in archives, but it's real. You draw from the deck, and the cards do things to you. Good things and bad things. Some very good, some very bad. I got off lightly. If you want to try your luck, go ahead; I won't stop you. In the meantime, I think we should see about getting out of here."
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Cadwyn is momentarily stunned by this development, but he's starting to get used to crazy things happening in this crazy place.

When he hears Archibald's explanation, he runs over to the south wall and pulls the right lever.